The Tomorrow People's Luke Mitchell Talks Life and Death Bonding With Astrid, John/Cara Issues

The Tomorrow People Season 1 SpoilersGood news for The Tomorrow People‘s John and Cara: Stephen is no longer the biggest thorn in their relationship’s side. Bad news: They still have plenty of problems — including a potentially deadly one.

As star Luke Mitchell reveals below, the love triangle between the trio takes a backseat as a difference of opinion pushes the power couple to their breaking point.

But first, John has to save himself and Astrid when Ultra comes after Stephen’s best friend in this Wednesday’s episode (The CW, 9/8c). And nothing brings an unlikely duo together like dangerous stakes.

RELATED | The CW’s Midseason Schedule: Star-Crossed Monday, Beast Takes Spring Break, New Time Slots for Three Shows

TVLINE | I have to tell you, I’m a little surprised that Cara is so drawn to Stephen when she’s got someone like John around.
[Laughs] Yeah, what is she thinking?!

TVLINE | Will there be more tension among the three of them going forward?
Things have happened that can’t unhappen. So there’s always going to be a certain amount of awkwardness, a certain amount of residual tension, [among] these three. But moving forward, I feel like there’s less focus on the love triangle, although it’s always there, and more focus on the bigger picture and more dramatic stuff, to be perfectly honest.

TVLINE | What would you say is the biggest issue for Cara and John moving forward?
Oh goodness, their communication skills. [Laughs] Their egos. They’re not willing to forgive and forget. The fact that they don’t let each other in. The list goes on, which makes it very interesting… Right now, Cara’s the leader, and John has to take the backseat and watch her do her thing and provide support where possible. But at the end of the day, John feels like the leader inside — even if he’s not. So he has natural instincts and opinions. You’ll see that those vary from Cara’s. Very soon, things come to a serious head between them.

RELATED | The Originals: Is [Spoiler] Really Dead?

TVLINE | And how is Stephen and John’s relationship going to evolve?
They’ll evolve in a positive way. I don’t think they’re ever going to be best mates, but it’s interesting because John is bound to Stephen. He’s going to be forever trying to make good on his promise to Stephen’s dad [and] on the fact that he killed Stephen’s dad. So whether he likes it or not, he’s forever going to be trying to help Stephen despite himself. You’ll see their relationship open up. They help each other out a little bit. … That’s the first move toward a healthier relationship between them.

The Tomorrow People Season 1 SpoilersTVLINE | The previews for this week’s episode show John getting shot. What’s going on?!
A lot of mayhem. Stephen believes his mom’s new boyfriend is a Tomorrow Person, potentially working for Ultra. He’s concerned about his family because the boyfriend wants to take them camping. Is he going to, I don’t know, capture everyone and kill everyone? So he wants to protect them, but at the same time, Astrid’s in the line of fire because she’s now on Ultra’s radar because she knows about The Tomorrow People. John steps forward and says, “I’ll keep an eye on Astrid.” Things don’t go well. Astrid has a kill squad after her, and John tries to save her and ends up getting himself shot. It’s pretty bad. They, basically, find themselves in a situation where they need to help each other very quickly — otherwise they’re going to die.

TVLINE | I liked the scene earlier this season where Stephen brought John and Cara over to meet his family and Astrid. It even seemed like Astrid might have had a thing for John. Is there more of that chemistry in this episode?
I haven’t seen it, so I can’t comment on the chemistry. But Maddie [Mantock] and I had a lot of fun working together. She’s a sweetheart of a girl. She’s a fantastic actress. I hope the scenes work out well. It’s a cool storyline. They’re two very different kinds of characters coming together. There’s more John and Astrid stuff coming after this episode, as well.

TVLINE | So they bond after this ordeal.
Absolutely. It’s a life or death situation. They have to help each other, but not only that. In the circumstances, they get to know each other a lot better. It’s a massive bonding experience.

1. Lena120 says:

I actually love John and Astrid. I think they’re the most likeable people on the show. John has that whole wounded hero thing. After their initial meeting at that house party, I was hoping they’d move them into each other’s orbit. I’m happy there’s there’s more stuff coming up with those two. As far as I’m concerned, John’s too good for Cara and Astrid’s too good for Stephen.

• MY says:

I disagree with your sentiment that John’s too good for Cara and Astrid is too good for Stephen. I think all the characters are trying their best to do what they believe is right. Yes, they come into conflict with each other because of some of their decisions but I don’t think any of them are bad people who intentionally try to hurt or cause harm to anyone else.

Honestly, John has made his fair share of mistakes and I would even venture to say that Cara has a really good reason to be upset with him considering how much and how long he lied to her, and everyone else, for. We also don’t know that much about Astrid yet so I don’t want to say that she’s too good for Stephen. I think they are really comfortable and honest with each other and she supported him in a time when everyone else thought he was going crazy. They have a lot of history and I love their (platonic) relationship

• Kayla says:

I don’t think the OP is questioning the characters as a whole, but their integrity when it comes to being in a romantic relationship.

Relationship wise, your whole response has me questioning if you watch the show?

There is nothing that can even compare to the fact that Cara cheated on John or how Stephen knew this chick was in a relationship and participated in this act.

So relationship wise, John and Astrid are too good for those individual characters.

Cara has been shown to be a very hypocritical person who expects her boundaries to be respected, but can’t do the same. She gets extremely upset when she can’t snoop in someones head despite not wanting the same.

Both John and Cara have kept things from each other, and John’s lies definitely outweighs Cara’s, but that’s the thing about lies it’s not romantic specific, it effects every level of a relationship you can have.

So, OP was not wrong.

• azu says:

Cara and Stephen are annoying as hell. John and Astrid make better sense. Psycho cara cheating on her boyfriend with a teenager!! Come on cw should lay off on the love triangle rubbish

• Fran says:

I agree about John and Astrid being the best part of this show, so I’m really looking forward to this upcoming episode. Steve is slowly growing on me, but I still find Cara very difficult to like. The actress playing Cara tries so hard to look tough, that she comes off as wooden and hostile. The other female characters (Morgan, Astrid and Charlotte) also tend to outshine her. Lets hope that Maddie Mantok starts to get more screen time (or moves to another show that gives her a better role).

2. enri says:

The show is getting better. The one character I’m having a hard time enjoying is Cara. She seems very wooden and I don’t get her attraction to a teenager…creepy.

• MY says:

Cara really blew me away in the past episode. Her transition from strong, hard leader to fragile, scared new breakout really impressed me. I think she’s one of the better actors on the show because she really sells all the different aspects of Cara’s personality and history.

• Kayla says:

She’s really an annoyance, I think only a few like her or like her occasionally. She’s lucky that Stephen is 18 and is legally an adult, otherwise it would be even more creepy that someone in their mid twenties is pursuing a high school student.

3. Kaithlyn says:

Yay for John and Astrid scenes. Hope it progresses to from friendship to more.

4. Hannah says:

Which CW show will Luke Mitchell be in next year? You know they like to recycle actors on the network and a pretty blond always comes in handy. Vampire Diaries, Arrow…Originals?

• Kim says:

I would assume he’ll be on The Tomorrow People, I like the show and hope it’s renewed. I haven’t been following the ratings so I’m not sure how well it’s doing.

• Luli says:

The originals!! So we can have a triple h2o reunion!!!! But he can also stay in the ttp…

5. tvgeek says:

I really like John. I find Cara really annoying.

6. Lorena says:

I’m still meh to Luke Mitchell after his bad acting on H2O and Home and Away. I think Madeleine is a real find though and I hope she gets moved to a better show after this one gets canned.

7. Daniella says:

It is SUPER CREEPY that Cara as a 20 something is into Stephen who is a KID!! Creepy creepy creepy.
    I think John is a) an ADULT and b) incredibly hot and loyal, etc… So I don’t get the “love triangle” st all.

8. Joey says:

great interview with Luke. I can’t wait to watch new episode tonight.

9. Quinn Mallory says:

The love triangle is one of the weakest part of the otherwise fun show. Love the recent development of the ex-Spy Kid putting Astrid in danger.

10. Tarc says:

Honestly, I’d be more interested in a Astrid-John-Stephen triangle (with John in the middle) – or none at all. The show really doesn’t need a romance element, but it’s the CW. It’d be great if they would start adding some more interesting couples.

11. Lainey says:

Yay for more John/Astrid, I felt the sparks when she looked at him across the room some eps ago. Lets see how they progress them, can’t really say I wouldn’t be happy if something more happened there, Cara didn’t consider John’s feelings when she was all over Stpehen. So go John/Astrid.

12. Ella says:

I am all for a John/Astrid relationship.. just wondering how you guys think that it is ok, for John and Astrid to be together, but Steven and Cara’s relationship is creepy because of the age-difference :-)

13. diy loom kit says:

Hi there to every body, it’s my first visit of this website; this blog
    consists of awesome and genuinely good information in support of visitors.

14. It’s very simple to find out any matter on web as compared
    to books, as I found this paragraph at this site.

15. dota 2 hack says:

My spouse and I stumbled over here by a different website and thought I should check things out.

I like what I see so now i am following you.

Look forward to looking over your web page repeatedly.

16. This design is spectacular! You certainly know how to keep a reader entertained.

Between your wit and your videos, I was almost
    moved to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Excellent job.
    I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented
    it. Too cool!

17. rugsund says:

What’s Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve found It absolutely useful and it has aided me out loads.

I am hoping to contribute & help different customers like its
    helped me. Good job.