NBC Halts Production on Sean Saves the World (Translation: It's Cancelled)

Sean Saves the World CancelledSean Saves the World appears to be beyond saving.

NBC abruptly halted production on the struggling rookie comedy late Tuesday, four episodes shy of its 18-episode order.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Returning?

Sean‘s two remaining unaired episodes will be burned off after the Olympics, per an NBC source.

NBC decision to move the show to 9:30/8:30c last Thursday didn’t stop the bleeding; Sean dropped to 2.6 million viewers and an 0.7 in the demo.

1. Theresa says:

SO SAD!!! I thought the show was hilarious. I loved Sean Hayes on Will & Grace and I think he’s even better now. The banter between he and his boss is so funny!!!!

2. Bob says:

Maybe he should just stick with producing hit shows like Hot in Cleveland and Grimm, and mild hits like Hollywood Game Night.

3. Chris says:

I don’t get all the love for this show. The first few episodes were painfully unfunny and awkward. The show may have found it’s “footing” late in the game…but it was far too late. No one was watching. I remember watching the pilot and thinking…wow…Sean Hayes and the rest of the cast deserve MUCH better than this. I don’t think I laughed once….except maybe at Linda Lavin’s deliveries. It just seems like the concept was half baked…not a fully formed idea. I read a comment on another board that I think might be true. Sean Hayes is best used as a comic relief…he was crazy and outlandish in Will & Grace. Jack and Karen were the comic relief to the more straight laced Will and Grace. I think Mr. Hayes might not be leading man material…at least when used in this way. And if they are gonna use him as the straight man…they needed to surround him with a funnier, more fully developed cast of supporting players. Don’t get me wrong. I love Sean Hayes, Linda Lavin, and Megan Hilty…but again they deserved better. Sean should have called James Burrows.

4. Kelly says:

No! :( I LOVE Sean Hayes! What a bummer. I just really got into this show and I love his comedy! Brought me back to the old Will & Grace days. Totally sucks.

5. Walter says:

Hayes shot himself in the foot big time whining about how it’s everyone else’s fault that ratings for his show stunk. Good luck getting another job Sean, hope you can afford to live of those W&G residuals.

6. George Robert Frey says:

I tried it due to Megan Hilty because I really liked her. I also liked Linda Lavin. Sean was o.k. But by the end of October, I stopped watching it. I hope everybody will be o.k.

7. Brock says:

Loved GO ON and NEW NORMAL, they should have tweaked these two into their line-up. HATED the boss on SEAN, but loved Dean, his mother and his daughter. The retooled “Naked Truth” in seasons two and three, believing in the series. “Suddenly Susan” and other series got to retool. They should’ve refocused the show out of the workplace.

8. PFitzDC says:

With Linda Lavin and Megan Hilty in the supporting cast, this show, while weak, was eminently more watchable than Michael J. Fox’s show, which I find unbearable….

9. Ally says:

I feel like this show would have done well in the 90′s or early 2000, but it’s not the humor of today.

10. Mann says:

NBC is making a mistake on this, finally they at least one show worthy of competing with CBS

11. PBick67 says:

Hey… Although I never watched the show, TNT, TBS, or TVLand may pick it up. These shows can use the power of the cable networks to survive regardless if they stink, someone will watch the show.

• Mary S says:

If that were really feasible, then someone could also pick up Warehouse 13!! Just because NBC is full of idiots doesn’t mean every other network is, too!

12. Rosa says:

well I just read in Entertainment Weekly about an upcoming episode that’s supposed to have both Portia De Rossi and Andy Richter in it. Portia plays Sean’s ex-wife and Andy plays her boss.
    plus I thought I read somewhere about Megan Mulally was going to show up as one of his exes before he was married and realized he was gay or something I think? although it could’ve been another show I was reading about idk. so when the hell are they supposed to show them?!

13. Tom says:

Maybe a better name would have helped. I loved the show, but at first it made me think of Boy Meets World, which did not appeal to my demographic. A title can go along way.

14. Annie says:

This show had excellent actors and great writing. Too bad they didn’t give it more time. Can Netflix buy it and continue it? They are kicking butt in the original programming department.

15. shadester says:

i liked it just get rid of the boss. he was stupid.

16. Allyn Conroy says:

I really love the show Sean Saves the world. Networks don’t give new shows a chance. I think they should try different nights or time slots before giving up. One of the comments said that the show would be better without Sean mentioning that he is gay so often. If this is true then why was Will and Grace such a hit?

17. stan says:

Sean Saves the World was one of the best shows NBC has produced in a long time and Sean Hayes and Linda Lavin made a great comedy pair. It was great to see Linda Lavin back on TV and the role with Sean was a prefect fit. NBC should give this show another chance unlike other shows NBC keeps airing that should have been cancelled

18. Punjabi Kudi says:

Please bring it back I really enjoy watching “Sean Saves The World”. It’s one of my favorite shows on NBC.

19. Dr says:

Great funny show, the whole family loved the comedy and short sotries. Sean real funny genuine comedy actor and all the actors have great chemistry in this show … fits their characters in the Sean saves the world…. :(

20. What a bummer I really enjoyed this show and was hoping it would be renewed. I swear NBC never gives its new shows a chance to build an audience. Then they wonder why they have horrible ratings. I think it’s b/c we don’t want to invest into a show when they will most likely cancel it. Come on NBC we would be more likely to watch your shows if we thought you would actually keep them on. SMH in disappointment.

21. LUCINDA PRINCE says:

this was one of the funniest shows on TV, BRING IT MAKE ON TVLAND, LATE NIGHT, THE BEST COMEDYS ARE LOCATED ON THIS CHANNEL

22. missy says:

So disappointed!!! I watched in prime time and then the girls I work with and I would watch episodes online during lunch. do sad to see it go!!!!

23. Dena says:

I thought they were going to air the final 14th episode that already went through production…I guess not. :( I wasn’t sure I would like the show at first but it really grew on me, and I just LOVE Linda Lavin. I liked Sean Hayes’ character and not being so ultra fabulous as he was in Will & Grace…another great series. I’m really going to miss Sean Saves the World. :(

• Jeanette says:

They should definetlly bring Sean Saves the World, back. Every single person I spoke to really loved that show, Please give it a CHANCE, The cast was great, they all fit in so fine,like the pieces to a puzzle. Bring it back, from myself and all my so very many frieds.