Emmys

Emmy Shock: 2014 Telecast to Air on a Monday

Emmys_Statue_300The Emmys are on the move.

NBC announced Tuesday that the 2014 ceremony will take place three weeks earlier than usual (as expected) and on a Monday (um, what?!).

RELATED | 2014 Emmy Race Exclusive: Merged TV-Movie/Miniseries Category Headed For a Breakup

The 66th Primetime Emmys are scheduled to air live on Monday, Aug. 25 from 8-11 pm ET/5-8 pm PT.

The shift to late August avoids a conflict with NBC’s Sunday Night Football juggernaut (the Peacock made a similar move in 2010 when Jimmy Fallon hosted). Per an NBC source, the telecast was relocated from Sunday to Monday due to the possibility of an early SNF game.

RELATED | Emmy Watch: 15 Freshman Comedy Series/Stars Who Could (or Should) Shake Up the Old Guard

Additionally, the Creative Arts Emmy Awards will be held on Saturday, August 16.

1. Drewer says:

They were on the 29th of August the year Jimmy Fallon hosted weren’t they, and that wasn’t to long ago, I think that was the last time they were at NBC, so the 25th isn’t that much earlier is it. Although having them on a Monday is weird.

2. theschnauzers says:

Clearly NBC doesn’t want to mess with its Sunday Night Football telecasts and get into trouble with the NFL.

3. Laura says:

Go home, NBC, you’re drunk.

4. Babybop says:

I hope I don’t have a night class next semester… The Emmys and The Golden Globes are the only award shows I really care about!

5. marge says:

I don’t think it’s that big of a deal that NBC is putting it on a Monday this year. So what? Shows don’t come back until September, anyway, so it’s not like it’s conflicting with anything. People who watch the Emmys are going to watch it no matter what night its on. It just seems strange because it’s different from the norm, but it’s not the worst thing ever.

• gdv says:

Except it is a problem for those of us on the west coast, who will have to try to get home before 5 to watch them, which isn’t exactly easy.

• KSM says:

DVR them. If you don’t have a DVR in 2014, I don’t know what to tell you.

• Alex says:

I don’t have one. Actually, a LOT of people don’t, and your snobbish attitude stinks from here.

• Oh, I do. “They’re still another expense on top of the luxury of already owning a TV with cable, and given that quite a few people still use CRTs in spite of the year we’re living in it really isn’t that shocking that people would rather eat than spend money they don’t have on electronic convenience because TV networks are still apparently stuck in the 1980s.”

• Amber says:

I don’t have DVR either and I’d like to watch it live at the same time as the east coast..rather than find out the winners online…which ruins the excitement.

6. Well, it’s not like NBC has any shows that will win Emmys anyways, so why give HBO, AMC & Netflix 3 hours of Sunday advertising when they could put on their highest rated show.

7. Jake says:

The oscars and the golden globes used to be on Mondays so it’s not that uncommon

8. Ryan says:

What’s the big deal? Monday instead of Sunday…

• Wen Nowa says:

In the olden days before Twitter and before the web was a big deal, the Globes and the Oscars were on Mondays. But they were tape-delayed on the West Coast.

And if you lived on the West Coast, it was easy not to get spoiled.

Nowadays, the Emmys are broadcast live on the West Coast.

And that’s because Twitter and the web had become so prominent that it made no sense to have a tape delay.

But with a Monday broadcast, West Coasters can’t watch the E! red carpet show, which will be shown from 3 to 5 pm on a workday.

And while the Emmys will air from 5 to 8 pm — during rush hour on the West Coast.

Also, you can’t follow along on Twitter. Or else you’ll get spoiled.

A Monday Emmys takes the fun out of the whole thing.

• DarkDefender says:

And in the olden days they didn’t have DVRs.. Tape the red carpet, watch it later and watch the Emmys live. Problem solved.

P.s. If you don’t want to be spoiled.. Stay off the internet and Twitter. Ya know.. Like the olden days.. It’s not like your forced to do either.

• Wen Nowa says:

There’s a reason they don’t tape the Emmys 2 days in advance, edit it down and broadcast it 2 days later.

The whole point of these big awards shows is that they are live, that they are meant to be watched live.

Not on DVRs.

The fun of these events, including the red carpet, are watching it live with the rest of the country, not isolated with a DVR recording.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Right. I love to watch these things live and comment on them with my friends online who are also watching it live. Even the red carpet arrivals. Also, not everyone has DVR, and I’m guessing by this point next year I probably won’t have it anymore either. It’s just too much money.

• Amber says:

I totally agree with Wen Nowa… But it seems like some people just doesn’t understand.

• GeoDiva says:

The Oscars and the Grammys are still taped delayed in Hawaii. So buck up and stay off of twitter for 3 hours.

• Kim R says:

I know. “A shock!” I don’t know if I’ll sleep tonight. :D

9. Mindy says:

Terrific. I have to work on Monday nights. The Emmys and Oscars are the only awards shows I watch. Thanks, NBC.

• alistaircrane says:

You have seven months’ notice. You can book off that date.

• DarkDefender says:

Exactly.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

alistaircrane, you and DarkDefender are being pretty snarky here towards people who can’t watch it on Monday nights. I don’t know if the two of you are in a terrible mood today or just are jerks all the time. What you don’t seem to understand is that not everyone has DVR, and not everyone has the ability to take a day off work or school to sit home and watch the Emmys. Missing work means missing a day to get paid for a lot of people who probably can’t afford to do that. Also, is someone really going to tell their boss that they want to impress that they can’t come to work because they’re watching TV? I’m glad you guys have it so easy that watching the Emmys on a Monday night won’t be a problem for you at all, but it’s really not cool to go around being rude to people who this is going to be a problem for.

• I am sorry the fact taht you dont have a DVR is not our problem. Its not that expensive. If you want to watch it live and poor you can’T because you are in the West coast, then like another person suggested, take the freakin’ day off and stop complaining!! I think it’s smarter to put it on mondays ratings wise. Also if you don’t have a DVR you can stream it from NBC.com a few hours after the broadcast, so again, no big freakin’ deal !!

• Tess says:

Ah yes because all employers are willing to grant time off requests for the purpose of not missing the Emmys.

Some people actually do like to watch the Emmys and the schedule change isn’t good for them – why does anyone else feel the need to respond with snarky comments about that? The scheduling change is an inconvenience to anyone who likes to watch the awards show, there’s no need to begrudge anyone it upsets.

• Bob says:

So. A lot of people have to work on Sunday nights, too.

10. Kre says:

So a NFL preseason game will be the reason the Emmys move to Monday. That just shows how much power the NFL has.

11. Rita says:

I remember when the Oscars were always on a Monday. It has been the past few years that its been broadcast on a Sunday..

12. Douglas from Brazil says:

I didn’t get it that move…Don’t the SNF games begin in early September?Or they will be airing preseason games that night?I think the ratings will be down, viewers in the West Coast will be the most affected.

13. Ray says:

Award shows are dull, boring affairs. I don’t give a crap who wins, much less who is being thanked in an acceptance speech.

• TL says:

But commenting on this story is that exciting for ya? Hmmmm, interesting.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Then why do you give enough of a crap to bother reading the article and commenting on it? Looks like awards shows have a bit of control over your life. A person who really didn’t care wouldn’t have bothered clicking on the link to come read this. They would have found something better to do with their time.

14. Gwen says:

Emmys on a Monday? What a stupid idea!

15. Eddie says:

I don’t care as long as Jimmy Fallon returns to host. Out of him, NPH, Jane Lynch & Jimmy Kimmel, Fallon has been the best BY FAR. Wouldn’t have a problem with the beautiful, poetic, noble land mermaids that are Tina Fey & Amy Poehler hosting, but I perfer them on GG duty.

16. Patrick Maloney says:

Human sacrifice, cats and dogs living together… Mass hysteria!

17. Andie says:

God, I’m so offended that NBC decided to schedule this on a Monday. The Emmys are filmed on the West Coast, most of the people who show up at the Emmys live on the West Coast, much of the TV industry exists due to filming locations in the West Coast (yes, I’m including Vancouver), let’s completely screw over the people of the West Coast!

I know there is a lot of notice, but my first day of law school classes will probably be on August 25th, so it’s not just like I can “take off” a day of work. But I’m going to skip the class if I need to, because the Emmys truly matter to me. I have DVR but I truly feel that an event that honors television in such a way deserves to be watched live.

I get that more people (and NBC) care about football, but if that’s the case, don’t give NBC the right to show the Emmys if it matters so little to them.

Like someone said, it’s not like any of their shows are going to be nominated, anyway.

• ben says:

You’re ‘offended’ by TV scheduling? Your whole comment is so first world problem.

If you are skipping class because the Emmy’s ‘truly matter to you’ (especially in a world with DVR) thats just a little too intense.

Why not just be like the rest of us were as a student. Damn, Emmy’s clash with a class, that sucks. Oh well, I’ll bunk class cos I want to, even though I know class is more important.

All this extreme language is just a bit over the top.

18. Tran 2.0 says:

Jimmy Fallon & Seth Meyers should co-host the prime time Emmys come August 25th. You guys better stop complaining about this whole NBC, Emmy awards moving from Sunday to Monday and more stuff.

19. We stumbvled over here coming from a different wweb address and thought
    I should check things out. I like what I see so i am just following you.
    Look forward to looking into your web page yet again.

20. johnhelvete says:

Last Sunday of August would be a great idea for the Emmys on a permanent basis, having the show on Monday is questionable though.

21. TV Gord says:

It worke, especially if Red Reddington thwarts a terrorist attack just in time for Best Drama Series in the 10pm hour!

22. Britta Unfiltered says:

I guess NBC figures if they’re going to screw up their airing of the Olympics coverage for people, then why not screw up the Emmys too.

23. DavidSask says:

This is not shocking and is good move, calm your tits people! Its nice to have awards show end summer and recap the past year not the current one beginning so it fits! Cable, sports and soaps already cover Sunday so move on awards shows. The only ones crying are the fashion critique bitches who have to have weekday work

24. greysfan says:

Whats the big deal? We have the Peoples Choice Awards and the CMAs mid-week why not have the Emmy’s Monday? Mind you Sunday is a staple for big events and NBC should work with the NFL to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

25. Jefrey Roseff says:

They should still have the ACE awards and leave the EMMY’s to broadcast tv. HBO and the like sweep the awards because they can include content that broadcast cannot, making it more believeable. As for those on the west coast having to tape it, dvr it or whatever….LOL to effing bad for you. We have to watch things like the super bowl at such a late hour to accomodate your butts….conform to us on the east coast for once.

26. Mark California says:

Do you really think there’s a demographic overlap between Entertainment Industry award shows and run of the mill football games?

27. emsytraut says:

I cannot stress how much Robert Carlyle deserves an Emmy for his role as Rumplestiltskin on ABCs’ Once Upon A Time. Last year had to be one of the most ridiculous award snubs I’ve ever seen concerning this topic.

28. Zoe says:

An award show airing on something other than a Sunday?! SACRILEGE!

29. Stephen King says:

I think the 2014 Emmy’s were a bunch of crap. Let me explain:

The number one show in the country this year and for several years has and is NCIS. The show and NONE of it’s cast or crew were nominated.
    Last year the number show in the WORLD was the Mentalist. This show and NONE of it’s cast or crew were NOT nominated.
    The number one shows (two shows tied) in the world were NCIS and the MENTALIST. NEITHER of these shows casts or crews were nominated.
    The number one Sit-Com in the country this year and for several years is THE BIG BANG THEROY only Jim Parsons seems to get nominated and wins.This show has the best cast and best writers yet Modern Family always seem to win. Pardon if I think there is a fix somewhere. The Big Bang Theroy also does not need a cast of thousands to to put on a GREAT FUNNY show. Also The Big Bang Theroy has a lot of technical writers and the cast pulls off these technical lines perfectly.

With the exception of the Good Wife no other network show was nominated (my wife and I only record The Good Wife because the NFL games run over and we make sure we get to see all of The Amazing Race and The Mentalist. The other shows that were nominated and won were cable shows. There are a lot of people in this country that do not have cable because they can’t afford it or they don’t want it.

If they want to give all the Emmy’s to cable shows have another awards show for cable TV on another night.

It should also be noted that Angalina Margolese(sp) was introduced as the only successful person from the former progam ER. Did they forget about about George Clooney.