How I Met Your Mother Recap: 'La Vie en Rose'

How I Met Your Mother Episode 200A classic ballad, familiar faces, near-misses and an unexpected tragedy filled How I Met Your Mother‘s 200th episode on Monday night as the titular Mother’s story was revealed.

In a surprisingly emotional episode showcasing the wonderful Cristin Milioti as Ted’s future wife, HIMYM journeyed over the past eight years to…

SEPTEMBER 2005 | As The Mother and her friends mark her 21st birthday at the other MacLaren’s Pub and talk about what a great giftgiver her boyfriend Max is, she gets a call. Cut to her in mourning as Max’s present lies unopened – she was right, he did nail the gift: a ukelele so her breakfast doesn’t have to sing acapella. And so, The Mother’s journey begins with the heartbreaking death of her boyfriend.

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Season 9 Spoilers — Sarah Chalke, Lucy Hale to Return

APRIL 2008 | The Mother’s friend is determined to get her back out there and drags her to that St. Patty’s Day party where Ted ends up snagging her yellow umbrella. The gal pal urges The Mother to put herself out there because the love of her life could be right around the corner. And if she doesn’t, he may bump into somebody else. Cue Ted bumping into that random brunette, who is just that: Random. Meanwhile, the gal pal bumps into Barney, but rejects his pick-up line about shamrocking her world.

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Series Finale Spoilers

At the party, The Mother runs into her old orchestra instructor, aka The Naked Man. After his big move fails on her, she confesses that she feels so lost. He asks her what’s the one thing she wants to do and her surprisingly beauty pageant-like answer is to end poverty. Every decision she makes must be in pursuit of that, he tells her.

FALL 2009 | To accomplish her goal, The Mother realizes she needs an economics degree and meets Cindy ( a returning Rachel Bilson) in class. They hit it off so quickly, she invites Cindy to move in with her. She also pours out her heart, calling herself oldfashioned. She believes you only get one love, and she already had hers, so she’s on permanent hiatus. Cindy’s response: You know what comes after The One? The Next One! And here comes Ted into the wrong classroom, telling a corny shellfish/selfish joke that totally makes The Mother laugh.

RELATED | Farewell, How I Met Your Mother: The Sitcom’s Top 10 Song Moments

JANUARY 2010 | The Mother gets her yellow umbrella back after Ted and Cindy break up. Then she tries to console her roomie, who says Ted has a thing for The Mother. Yes, it sounds crazy, but he fell in love with all her stuff – and how could he not? Then Cindy plants a kiss on The Mother! She truly is irresistible, isn’t she? The Mother is totally cool with the smooch, even calling it nice since she hasn’t been kissed in a while. But eventually, Cindy finds her One and The Mother meets super groupie Darren while searching for a new roommate.

APRIL 2012 | The Mother hits it off with Louis, a perfectly nice guy who remembers MacLaren’s as Puzzles. (As she leaves the bar, Ted enters in that infamous green dress.) They start dating, but it just isn’t love. His enthusiasm for her breakfast show tune is seriously lacking, for one.

HIMYM La Vie en Rose

AND NOW | That brings us to the wedding weekend, during which The Mother is staying as Louis’ Farhampton home. She gets quite the surprise when he shows up to pop the question. She asks for a moment to ponder the proposal and goes outside to “talk” to Max.

“Would it be OK if I moved on?” she tearfully asks. She takes a gust of wind as his yes, but still says no to Louis. (Don’t you want to see the poor guy’s search for his soulmate now? There’s a web series idea!)

The Mother checks into what was supposed to be the mother of the bride’s room at the Inn. As she plays her ukelele and sings “La Vie en Rose,” a mesmerized Ted listens in from the porch next door.

What did you think of “How Your Mother Met Me”? Vote in the poll below and then hit the comments to justify your grade.

1. Boiler says:

Great episode in a shaky last season, in my opinion. I wonder if there are regrets the show is ending. I’m sure some of the actors ready to move on but…..

2. Carol says:

Cristin Milioti should be nominated for an Emmy for, at least, best supporting actress in HIMYM.

3. Azerty says:

Great episode, the best of the season so far. This proves that they should use the mother more, really she is a regular but before that episode we have not seen a lot of her. And like everybody said, she is perfect for Ted, so it is a shame they didn’t dare to do a season “what happen after the meeting”. I know the show is called how i MET but if they had met last season and season 9 had been the first years of Ted and the mother dating/getting married/getting pregnant that would have been so much better than a one week end season…

4. Anna says:

This episode was amazing! I have to admit, I teared up a little… I just love The Mother and I srsly hope she is not dead. Let Ted and her be happy, please.

5. jw says:

2014…the year the world fell hopelessly in love with Cristin Milioti.

6. Dan says:

I loved the episode, but I have one gripe. The title of the episode was “How Your Mother Met Me.” I guess I was expecting them to actually meet given the title, but it is starting to appear that the writers are saving the actual scene when they meet for the series finale.

7. Maria says:

I really hope the mother doesn’t die in the last episode! I read that the end made Cobie Smulders cry. I wonder if Max’s (the mother’s first love) death was a news story Robin had to cover on the day Ted and Robin met or if one of the cast members had to do with his death. Maybe, in a way, Robin would have brought the two of them together. That would be sad, but meaningful.

8. Rob says:

Well, I loved the episode, but I will not watch the show How I met Your Dad if that makes it to series. If it is supposed to be about the mother they sure made her life over the past 9 years depressing. I can’t imagine that would make a great comedy. I hope they give this a proper send off now, and not try to milk a spin off out of it

9. Tim says:

Did anyone notice that Ted was wearing a dark sweatshirt while listening to her sing on the patio, but when he came in the room to tell Barney he was wearing a light gray t-shirt? Mistake or two separate “serenades”?

10. Betsy says:

Good God, people! Can’t Ted just be telling the story to his kids because, I don’t know, his daughter just broke up with a teenage boyfriend who she thought was the love of her life? Or it’s the mother’s birthday? Or they ASKED? Does it have to be this big The-Mother-Is-Dead thing? There doesn’t have to be a big reason for it, does it? There certainly doesn’t need to be a big reason for my dad to tell me a long story….

• John NYC says:

Yes, it’s not like Ted is miserly with his words: the kids “are we being punished” set’s up they’ve been down his long and winding roads before….

11. R.O.B. says:

The producers said they already filmed the ending with the kids back in season 3 or something, because they would have aged too much if they waited any longer. This could mean that the mother is dead. Or it could just mean that they filmed an interaction that did not take place in the same shot. Maybe the mother calls on Skype from Haiti or something. It would be a total downer of she is dead. If the writers are listening, we trust you, but we all collectively invite you to rewrite THAT ending.

12. Sara says:

This episode was fantastic! Best episode all season! I am hoping that those rumors aren’t true, that the reason Ted is telling this story is that the Mother is dead…What a horrible way to end a comedy show! Also, how totally bizzare and messed up would it be for Ted to be telling this long story to his kids full of silly times and hooking up with so many other women if their own mother had just died?!

13. jenferner8 says:

I’m hoping the Mom is in labor with number 3. People are so morbid assuming she’s dead or dying. As someone who hasn’t watch this show on regular basis, I’ve seen more episodes this season then any other, this was one of the best episodes I have watched. It flowed really well and despite what I’ve heard/read, I’m not sick of the Mom.

14. Amelia says:

I have not stopped thinking about the possible Mother’s death since I started reading these theories last night. I researched more and Carter Bays did confirm that there will be a death. I know that whatever way they go it will be beautiful and also be very discussed. I can’t wait.

15. Meg says:

The mother spending the past nine years dealing with serious emotional issues yet in an mature grown-up way, makes the main gang and all their superficial immature hijinks of the past nine years look really bad. She’s not just too good for Ted she’s too good for the whole group.

16. cbs0929 says:

The mother is not dead!! If anyone recalls the episode of Ted, Marshall & Lily’s college reunion, when they are sitting on the floor “eating a sandwich”, Ted busts out laughing & says, “Where’s my wife?”…..The way the show has progressed over the years, I do not think they would kill her or any of the other characters off. Sure, they’ve had some sad moments, but this season clearly shows how Ted’s Happily Ever After is coming together, at the right place, at the right time

17. john says:

I think its not the mother who is dead, but Ted dies. If you’ve paid close attention the narration of the story telling to the kids is a mix of Ted voice and Bob Sagat’s voice. In season 9 when Ted’s voice is heard the most in the opening lines talking to the kids, but in the 200th episode when “Ted” says and kids Ive must of heard your mothers version of la vie en rose hundreds of times…” Its not Ted’s voice anymore its Bob Sagat’s voice. Im thinking Ted dies and maybe the story telling is from a book that a step father is reading to them, or a video left from Ted from before he died. I hope I’m wrong.

18. M.A.Brown says:

I believe it is their anniversary. Remember when Ted and his father was talking and Ted was complaining to his dad that they don’t talk and he doesn’t know how his father and mother met. He said ” When I have kids I am going to tell my kids about how I met their mother, every detail.” I don’t think she is dead, because when he was at his college reunion and Marshall, Lilly and Ted was eating a sandwich and he was wondering where his wife was.