Grammys 2014: The Best and Worst Moments

The 56th annual Grammy Awards are in the books, and while the night’s most honored fellas never showed their faces — yep, I’m talking about Daft Punk and those wacky robot helmets — everyone knows the real list of winners and losers goes beyond the actual statuettes.

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Castle, Once, Grey’s, NCIS, Revenge, Five-0, Banshee and More

To that end, allow us to present our picks for the Best and Worst Moments from the 2014 Grammys. Beyoncé’s bootylicious moment, Ringo’s youth explosion and Queen Latifah’s wedded bliss are all present and accounted for, as are performances by Katy Perry, Kacey Musgraves and John Legend.

PHOTOS | Quotes of the Week: Best Zingers From Blacklist, Downton, Parks and Rec, White Collar & More

So, click through the gallery below to get our take, then hit the comments to tell us which moments you loved, which ones you loathed and whether we snubbed any of your faves.

1. aa says:

Calling that Bey-Z performance Underwhelming in your first slide turned me off of the whole list.

2. Esaul says:

Loved Jay’s speech. Also enjoyed him and Beyonce. Pissed how they cut the show “short” even though it overextended. UGH. This is why the Grammys hates rock.

3. Tony. says:

Yeah, I was expecting much better from Bey. Not that it was bad but I really expected better.

• RodMod says:

Same here. And I am a HUMONGOUS FAN!

• Britt says:

I love Drunk in Love, but Beyonce didn’t seem 100% like herself. Maybe she was nervous? But people on another blog thought the opening would have been more energetic since she was opening the show or at least mixed another song with this one. IDK

However Kendrick Lamar/Imagine Dragon were great and so was Pink.

4. Brennan says:

Yup… I’m already on track 7 of her album…

5. crabapplerum says:

Just out of curiousity – what unexpected announcement were you expecting during the Same Love performance?

• Sherri says:

People have been speculating for years that Queen Latifah is gay

• TV Gord says:

She isn’t hiding it. She talks about her partner quite openly.

• Chuck Finley says:

Speculating? She is openly gay lol.

• Britt says:

She never came out and said she was gay. Granted there are pictures of her with supposed girlfriends, but she has never said she was gay. She says she will never talk about her love life because it’s nobody’s business.

• TV Gord says:

Yet when she was on The Talk last fall, she was asked whom she relies on for advice, and she said her mother and her partner. It didn’t seem to be a big deal for her, because we’ve known for years. That’s the way I took it, anyway. What’s the big deal?

• Britt says:

Her partner (Shakim) is a man. They showed his picture after they showed her with her mom. And I hate when people pass on false information.

• Sara says:

Britt, to be perfectly clear on the term “partner” with Shakim and not pass on false information, let’s clarify that Shakim is her BUSINESS partner.

• Britt says:

If you were reading correctly, you would have noticed that TV Gord said she mentioned a partner (aka a female lover) on The Talk. I said the partner she was referring to was a man therefore she never came out on tv. That was the point that she never came out. So my information wasn’t false. Thanks

6. LeahKittyS says:

I agree with everything on this list. Except the Katy Perry one; I actually enjoyed it. I’ve never watched the Grammys before, but I saw last year’s photo gallery and it looked really good, so I tuned in this year. Man, was it worth it!

7. Blinged Up says:

“I’m guessing non-country fans will be Googling, YouTubing and downloading before the night is over.” Yep, just downloaded her song from tonight. I’d never heard of her. LOVE!
    This was the best Grammy’s in a long while.

8. Dan says:

It’s a truly sad state of “music” when so-called singers absolutely need to show ass and use millions of other attention-calling accessories. John Legend showed how it’s done.

• Chuck Finley says:

I agree. I also have a hard time believing Pink wasn’t lip syncing while twirling around over everyone.

• Kelly says:

Clearly you have never been to see her live then! Not only does she do stunts but she sings live, unlike most these days!

• KSM says:

She was totally singing. She does that in her show. It is AMAZING live.

• Ashley says:

Nope. She doesn’t lipsync. That’s why you hear her grunting during choreography after she’s off the silks. She says she makes sure to do that on purpose so that people know it’s live because her voice quality “actually sounds better when she’s upside down and twirling” (her words). Check out some tour videos on YouTube, if you can find them (and want to, naturally). She’s always live.

• Dave says:

In no world was Pink lip syncing. See her in concert.

9. Nick says:

Loved Kacey Musgraves! But whoever told her to wear that outfit needs to be fired immediately.

10. Dee says:

Yup, all show and no substance.

Thank god I tuned in late and didn’t see it.

• TV Gord says:

It was a great show…but of course, don’t let the fact that you didn’t watch it stand in the way of your edumacated opinion.

• Britt says:

She has never came out. She says she will never talk about her love life because it’s nobody’s business. It is always vague.

• Dee says:

LOL, I never said I didn’t watch the entire show, just the first, apparently trashy, 15 minutes. I’m glad I didn’t see her clompy-stomp her way through her performance.

Copying the way BeYAWNce really talks?

• TV Gord says:

LOL,maybe next time you’ll be clearer, LOL. LOL.

• Dee says:

Wel maybe someone with better comprehensive skills would have understood the “I tuned in LATE-as in later on after the show had started— I did NOT stay I didn’t tune it AT ALL, which would imply I didn’t see any of the show.

” I tuned in late”

• Francine says:

Dee, you also said “and didnt see it”. Obviously we now know you only meant the opening portion, but you can see how one would assume that you didnt see the show at all. I have no beef in this either way, but its not a lack of reading comprehension- just a misunderstanding.

11. BJ says:

Loved the Chicago/Robin Thicke mashup. Shows that real musicianship is alive and well. And Robert Lamm at nearly 70 sounds note perfect even today.

• S. says:

I thought it was a mess. Robin Thicke and Chicago sounded like a mismatch on paper and that was definitely what panned out. They wanted to honor Chicago, they didn’t wanna have to do a full version of Blurred Lines again esp after the VMAs but it was a big song this year, so this is what we get. Ugh.

• Keith says:

Chicago was good,Thicke was not

12. BJ says:

The theatrics and flashpots and lights seem to emphasize performance rather than actual musicianship in some cases,

13. Margaret says:

Carole King & Sara Bareilles duetting was AWESOME. that was some serious girl power on stage tonight. I loved how excited Sara was at the end, what a cool moment for her!

• Jennifer says:

The description in the caption is spot on. There were moments that I forgot which song was being sung.

• Angela says:

Yeah, it was adorable how positively giddy Sara looked when Carole started singing “Brave” with her-she had the whole, “OMG, I’m singing with my idol!” look going on :D. I’m all for them working together more often, they sounded great. The Daft Punk/Stevie Wonder collaboration was fun, too, I liked that a lot. And agreed on the “educate the young ones” moments you listed, too.
      I flipped back and forth between the awards and other things, so I did miss some of the stuff listed here. Wished I could’ve caught the bit with the same-sex vows taking place right then and there-that sounds VERY cool. Yay for everyone involved in making that happen. As for the awards, I saw online that Vampire Weekend won best alternative album and Stephen Colbert won for best spoken word, so that news makes me happy. No complaints on my end about the night, really.

14. Jane Sarmiento says:

Not a big fan of country music but loved Keith Urban’s performance, not bleeped, no lyp-synching, no fancy stunts, just simple nice music!!!!!Great
    clean performance!

15. flutiefan says:

loved Taylor Swift’s very real performance.

16. so glad i missed beyonces performance. not my cup of tea.

but im very interested in kacey musgraves and will be checking her music out.

17. flutiefan says:

i’m a huge country music fan, but not a Kacey Musgroves fan at all.

that said, y’all should know she wrote the awesome Grammy-nominated Miranda Lambert song “Mama’s Broken Heart”, which should’ve won Best Country Song. that or Begin Again.

18. DavidSask says:

Jamie Foxx making a big to do over a woman is laughable the man is gay!!! Queen Latifah is laughable for doing the gay pandering act when she is in the closet still!! Beyonce was average and keeping the Tina Turner reference in song is low! Daft Punk had a good song not a good CD, there is a HUGE difference. The Grammys have some good performances but they always get stuff wrong and are least credible of award shows! The Grammys should also air in November or December as the music nominated is all old by almost Feb. I also side-eye the nominations clips where they didn’t show the artists videos or faces but tribute YT acts that is not cool!!!

19. Cassandra says:

I’m a bit surprised there is no mention of Most Awkward Performer: Lorde. I actually enjoyed it(I don’t listen to the radio enough to have over-heard the song) but her spastic twitching was not something I would have expected to see on the Grammys. I enjoyed Same Love but could have done with the Madonna walk on at the end. I’m not even going to start on how pissed I was that they cut off the final song, I’m just going to bask in the afterglow of a collaboration I would have never dreamed of, Lindsey Buckingham playing to Copy of A.

20. Loved Macca and Ringo; great to hear Chicago (didn’t need Robin Thicke); Carole King was awesome; ditto for Willie, Kris, Merle and Blake. The tribute to the Everly Brothers was awful – they ruined “When Will I Be Loved!” Loved the song with Stevie Wonder and Daft Punks “Get Lucky “(Reminded me of classic Nile Rogers -great to see him). Most of the show was great, but they shouldn’t have cut the rock performance at the end

• NJMark says:

Their performance was pretty close to how the Everlys did it originally. I love the Everlys, but their version is awful. Linda Ronstadt’s is far better.

21. nate says:

FINALLY!!!!!! an award show where Swift won NOTHING!!!!!!!

• Lizzie says:

Thank God! But she sure thought she won album of the year. She was still annoying though. During imagine dragons & Kendrick Lamar she needed a slap. Everyone else new how to dance to it & she’s over there with some crazy dance moves.

Btw loved lorde but wtf would she have a weeping angel behind her. She freakin scared me.

22. Delirious says:

#16 – yes, yes, and a thousand times YES all over.

No wonder Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails) tweeted: “Music’s biggest night… to be disrespected. A heartfelt F**K YOU guys.”

23. LW says:

I felt bad for Kacey Musgraves because she performed immediately after the Kendrick Lamar/Imagine Dragons extravaganza. To me her performance sort of got lost.

• Mary says:

I thought it was 1000% times better then the previous performance. I guess I am old, because it is not enjoyable to watch a performance that has to be bleeped every other word. I watched for about an hour or so then turned it off.

24. Lena says:

I really wish this country had the ability to focus on more than one social issue at a time. The marriage equality issue is not the only problem we have. Try looking at a man who found out his wife and child got hit by a car and when he goes to the hospital to check on them, he gets deported. Or let’s talk about the girl who is ripped from the security of her home, sold into slavery through sex trafficking. I’m sure those people would love for this country to think about them. There are life and death situations happening every day in this country, but nobody is talking about it. So sad. Instead we only make one issue the most important thing.

• r0ckmypants says:

Kindly get over yourself.

• NJMark says:

Heh. I remember when the liberal line was that marriage was “just a piece of paper,” and that” if you’re really in love, you don’t need it.”

• WenL says:

? I’m a Liberal and pay attention to the news and issues consistently. I have never heard that line that marriage was just a piece of paper – If you heard or read that one person said it – that doesn’t make it a “liberal line”…. Of course it is important for anyone to be able to marry – and for many more reasons than Love.

• flutiefan says:

this liberal has never heard that being a “liberal line”. take it somewhere else.

• flutiefan says:

Lena isn’t wrong. there was such a big to-do this morning over the marriage thing (which i fully support — marry whomever the heck you want, as long as you are both consenting adults!), and it’s sad because there are so many more pressing, more dangerous, more lethal issues in this country. gay marriage shouldn’t even be a question.

25. Mark says:

They didn’t include Jeff Hanneman (Slayer) and Clive Burr (Iron Maiden) in the “In Memoriam” segment. :(

26. Yo says:

Beyonce’s performance was a little gross. Why? Next year she can just put a camera in her anus for shots to outdo herself.

27. Mick says:

The fact that Macklemore and Ryan Lewis won best Rap album is crazy. Everyone else in the category had a better album.Same with Rihanna winning for Unapologetic. Can anyone name two songs off the Heist that were not singles without googling the song list?

• Ron says:

In all fairness, I think a lot of people would have trouble naming two songs off ANY album that weren’t singles. In an age when people buy singles more than albums, that’s just going to happen. I could say the same thing about those robots winning Album of the Year. I don’t know their names, haven’t heard of them before the Grammys, have no idea of any of their songs, or what their album is called. Yet they won Album of the Year, and a slew of other awards.

• Brooke says:

Daft Punk have been around for almost 20 years. I think your ignorance of them is more about you than it is about them?

• truth says:

Too bad. Rihanna deserved the Grammy award for Urban Contempory Album. It’s not like it was a R&B award. The album contains many urban tunes. So it deserved it.

Glad for her.

But I agree with your comment on Macklemore. Kendrick deserved it…

• Nick says:

Yea, Make the Money, Starting Over, Neon Cathedral, & A Wake. All great songs, & this is coming from someone who can’t stand rap except for Macklemore & Ryan Lewis.

28. Cathy says:

Didn’t enjoy a lot of it; Beyoncé reminded me of Flashdance.Pink was awesome, loved John Legend, too.

29. Allison says:

I am still rocking to the ‘Get Lucky’ performance of Daft Punk, Stevie Wonder and Nile Rodgers. Yes, still :) I also enjoyed Carole King and Sara Bareilles mash-up of Beautiful and Brave very much. So nice to see two women of different generations getting along and not accusing each other of theft or causing a ruckus about who sang what when and who sang what better *cough Madonna* *cough Lady Gaga* Pink’s ‘Try’ was energetic. I tend to forget how athletic and flexible she is. All that twirling around while being suspended in the air made me want to spin around while being suspended in the air, but no. Also Pink’s duet with the oh-so-cute Nate Ruess was just awesome! I love the song and their performance made me love it even more. Beyoncé was just being Beyoncé to me. She uses sex constantly and since Drunk In love is a song about sex, she sexed up her performance. She knows her brand well. I enjoyed the performances, some more than others, but that’s the beauty of music! What rocks one person’s boat may sink another’s! :)

30. Jerry James says:

No mention of the Metallica performance? Years ago they performed with San Francisco orchestra for s&m album-I thought they had a very solid performance

31. dude says:

Sorry but the majority of twitter comments I saw about Kacey Musgraves were “this performance sucks but what the hell is she wearing?”

32. dude says:

Seeing as she was clearly winded throughout most of the performance, I’m assuming you’re suggesting that Katy Perry gets winded when recording as well? It was pretty obvious she was singing live and her lips matched her vocals.

33. vanessa says:

Oh wow, I thought TNT Latinamerica had interrupted the final performance and I tweeted in anger. You mean that was the organizers??? Terrible…

34. Kristen says:

Imagination Dragons and Kendrick Lamar was by far the best performance of the night!! Loved it and would love to hear that version played on the radio!

35. shar says:

Beyonce was disgusting and trashy.

36. Keith says:

Ringo with Peter Frampton and Steve Lukather of Toto playing Photograph was one of the best performances

37. Plum says:

Pharrell’s middle name is Dudley Do-Right.

38. Kate says:

I disagree. I think this was a lovely performance from Beyoncé, definitely not among her greatest though. We are all so used to her “shutting down the show” and this was her being layed back while performing with her husband. Plus, give her a break. She rocked every performance on her tour/ Super Bowl/ other award shows.

39. lisa says:

I am sick of these shows constantly shoving this sex garbage in our faces. Why don’t they just play music, of do they lack the skill of true musicians. I suspect this is the reason we are subjected to this crap. How many of these idiots actually know music or haw to play an actual instrument.

• Angela says:

Sex has been used to sell music (and other things) for decades. Elvis shaking his hips, Cher and Madonna with their risqué outfits (and in Madonna’s case, dance moves), tons of rock bands singing about sex…this is nothing new.
      It’s fine if you don’t care for it, of course, but again, sex sells. It always will sell, especially if people keep making a big controversy out of it and acting like it’s “the most shocking thing ever OMG!” when it’s really not anything new. Maybe if we started giving overtly sexual performances a yawn and a “Ho hum” reaction, and ignored them instead of gave them the attention they want, things might start to change.
      Also, I don’t get the assumption that people who use sex in their work must not have any sort of musical talent. We never get the chance to find out if that’s true or not because all society wants to talk about is the sexual part of their performances or looks, and refuse to even try and see if the artist has anything else to offer. I get that if artists have actual talents they should try and showcase them, but again, I point to the beginning of my post. They know what sells and gets attention and run with it (or if they’re young, they might be “encouraged” into it).

40. sladewilson says:

Kendrick and Imagine Dragons slayed it. Incredible mash-up turned into a remix verse from K Dot. They literally blew the stage up. Daft Punk, Pharrell, Nile Rodgers and the legend, Stevie Wonder had everyone up and dancing. Best two performances of the night…