Review: Castle's Feb. 3 Riff on Devil Wears Prada Is More Than Skin Deep -- Plus: Dress Photos

Castle Wedding DateThe next episode of ABC’s Castle — which (update) has been rescheduled for Monday, Feb. 3* — is less superficial than its glossy fashion magazine setting would suggest. In fact, it proves to be one of this season’s deeper dives into the Rick/Kate wedding arc.

RELATED | Castle Season 6 Spoilers — Badass Beckett, Sweeps 2-Parter Status

Guest-starring Titanic mom Frances Fisher (also of ABC’s upcoming and compelling Resurrection) as a domineering Miranda Priestly-esque couture queen, the episode, yes, touches on Beckett’s “15-minute”previous career as a fashion model. But it also goes places you won’t expect.

I was dismissive of the most recent episode, which offered a toothless, forgettable riff on Miley Cyrus and her ilk. (Add in Nashville and Arrow, and all told it was a disappointing week for my DVR.) But “Dressed to Kill” puts all that in the past. ABC was smart to circulate it early.

RELATED | Castle Spoilers — Beckett Gets a Blast from Her Modelling Past!

Here’s a spoiler-free glimpse of what you can expect:

♦ You will learn precisely what it was that young Kate Beckett and her “unforgettable” cheekbones did, back in the day, to disappoint fashion mag maven Matilda King (played by Fisher). Hint: It involved Nicole Kidman.

♦ A significant portion of the episode is devoted to Rick and Kate’s search for a wedding venue — but their determination to zero in on one specific place, no matter what, may have unintended repercussions.

♦ So, the wedding dress Kate tries on (see brand-spanking-new photos below, or a big ol’ one here)…. Regardless of what you think of the gown itself, make no mistake, you will love this moment. But a word of warning: The scene grows far more complicated than perhaps anyone could predict. A really nice piece of acting by Stana Katic.

♦  If the above moment doesn’t wet your eyes, a later reference to Johanna Beckett surely will.

♦ “Caskett” fans will on at least one occasion audibly utter, “Oh, no….”

♦ I know, Castle at times operates on a premise of selective amnesia. But the Prada aping — Matilda lobs her coat at her assistant and drops famous folks’ first names — makes it conspicuous that pop culture reference-ready Rick never draws a direct comparison.

♦ Sorry, Esplanie fans: Although there’s no Tory this week, Espo is more than happy to call in one of Matilda’s mannequins for questioning.

♦  The very final scene alone should provoke a good 50 to 75 comments on Monday night’s recap. Yea, Internet!

* Note: The airdate change (originally Jan. 27) was announced after this story was published, and is, I reckon, to land the episode during February sweeps (which begins Thursday, Jan. 30). This Monday, “Number One Fan” will encore instead. (“Valkyrie” repeats on Feb. 10, and “Smells Like Teen Spirit” airs the 17th.)

1. Natalie says:

Hi Matt, thanks for a great preview. I’ve got a question though.Do you know if CTV will give Canadians a repeat too? Or maybe “Dressed to kill” will air normally on Sunday?

2. kath says:

Thanks, you’ve got me excited about this episode. Agree it was a lackluster week for Castle and Arrow (didn’t watch Nashville) Hopefully next one will be better, or two weeks in th s case.

3. Taylor says:

I’ve seen worse dresses. This dress isn’t that ugly. I swear The Castle fandom is the worse in supporting the show. I don’t know how Castle continually wins awards with this fandom. A crazy and ungrateful cynical and pessimistic and annoying lot of so-called fans who do nothing but rip the show and actors apart. They are only happy when they’re complaining. You’d think this Hatedom was full of kids, but sadly it’s adults always bitching and complaining. Yes i’m complaining about the whiners and babies in this fandom, but it needs to be said. Turn the channel if you hate everything about the show!!

4. Sammy says:

I don’t get too worked up over wedding stuff to begin with so the dress doesn’t bother me.
    I’m more intrigued about the other tidbits regaurding Beckett’s breif modeling stint. Especially the one about Nicole Kiddman, hmm.
    Thanks for the preview Matt!

5. John 1138 says:

I’m confident the dress will look wonderful “live”, static photos don’t do a lot of clothing justice, and make others look better than they are.

Stana certainly seems happy with it.

6. k says:

nonono on the dress.

7. Thanks for sharing such a nice thinking, paragraph is nice, thats why i
    have read it fully

8. karkar says:

I’m waiting until we see Stana in the wedding dress on TV beforeI rip it apart . However,from the waist up its ok, waist down no way!

9. Livus48 says:

My qustion is really why are they (abc) doing all these changes,I can understand why they want to put another episode before the one on schedule,but stopping and giving us older episodes,that does not make sense…..from they’re own schedule they know all the programs to come long time ahead,and still they make this total mess…..I don’t like it,and I’m afraid it will put people off the show…..and that would be just tragic….because the show is just super. :-)

10. Gary Wilkins says:

“Trooper,” (double ‘o’) is the correct spelling…

I’m In total agreement with what may others have observed, and do NOT like Beckett in that dress. The spoofy dress material on each side of that hanging tabard-like center panel make Beckett look decidedly “hippy” (as in exceedingly wide across the hips)–not at all flattering for Ms. Katic-perhaps she’s making a call to complain to someone about just that perception?

So what’s surprising in an unexpected schedule (I use the term loosely and printed in a large, sarcastic font) shifts? It’s what nearly every network does nowadays. You are simply at the mercy of whoever the absolutely illogical fools are that plan programming. I have a major beef over what passes today for supposed “scheduling.”

11. Livus48 says:

Hi guys,forget the dress,let’s enjoy that our two friends are finally getting married ( even if mr.Marlow & Co will make twist and turns) and also let’s hope for a happy message of a renewal for a season 7 and 8 +++.IThere is a lot of good stories to be told,and I promise I watch every single one of them.
    So again,forget the dress and let’s enjoy the amazing cast and crew who give all of us so much happiness and JOY. 😄🌹

12. Wow that was odd. I just wrote an extremely long comment but after
    I clicked submit my comment didn’t appear. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again.
    Anyways, just wanted to say superb blog!

13. Castanati-Chicago says:

Castle has been in the throws of some needed adjustments, however, this episode renewed my faith that they can return to the stellar quality that has been the Castle brand and made it a top TV show world wide. I truly fought back my tears as Kate (Stana Katic – brilliant acting by the way!) reflected on the absence of her mother as she approaches a very important milestone in life – her wedding.

Now, for the bad news – we return to nutty land with the next episode, if Doyle and the future wasn’t bad enough. Now, we will watch them navigate teenagers and the para-normal, really guys [somebody needs to be fired for even insulting the Castle fans…. with this one] – this episode belongs on ABC Family not Castle.

14. Jessica says:

I really love this show, I’m so excited to watch it.

15. krystal says:

wow!It is so excited and i can not wait.

16. What’s up, I wish for to subscribe for this weblog to take most up-to-date updates,
    thus where can i do it please assist.