Post Mortem: Vampire Diaries Boss on Caroline's Surprise, Katherine's Plan and Bonnie's Future

Vampire Diaries Season 5 SpoilersThe following contains spoilers for Thursday’s episode of The Vampire Diaries. If you have yet to watch, avert your eyes. Everyone else, read on…

The Vampire Diaries‘ 100th episode on Thursday night pulled the ultimate switcheroo when a dying Katherine took possession of Elena’s body.

RELATED | Winter TV Spoiler-palooza: Exclusive Scoop on 31 Returning Series

Meanwhile, in a shocking romantic development, Caroline put away her disdain for Klaus and gave in to her attraction as she and the Original got it on in the woods! But even though the hybrid promised to leave afterward, there was still plenty of awkwardness in store: Rebekah left behind Care’s ex Tyler, who really, really hates Klaus, as a parting gift for Matt.

Below, executive producer Julie Plec previews the schemes Katherine will cook up as Elena and how they’ll shake up the Elena-Stefan-Damon love triangle. She also hints at Bonnie’s crucial role moving forward and whether we can expect more Vampire Diaries/Originals crossovers.

TVLINE | You have to assume that Katherine’s going to have all sorts of crazy, wacky hijinks.
It is such a quintessential, bitchass Katherine Pierce move that she has to live up to it with her behavior. [Laughs] Because you can’t go that hard without delivering — and she does deliver. As we know, Katherine’s got her eye on Stefan. So just as Damon and Elena have admitted to themselves that they’re ready to fight for their relationship, all of a sudden, Elena is no longer in possession of her own body. Katherine’s first order of business will be to try to figure out ways to get Damon out of her life for good. And then the domino effect of all of her moves is just horrible and tragic and mysterious in that wicked way. She really starts screwing up people’s lives, left and right.

TVLINE | Who is the most suspicious about what’s going on with Elena?
Everybody’s going to have a moment of suspicion along the way. The question, as we move forward, is going to be how long is it going to take before somebody figures it out? And when they do, how much damage will have been caused?

PHOTOS | Vampire Diaries Cast, Producers Share Their Favorite Scenes

Vampire Diaries Season 5 SpoilersTVLINE | And Damon, as the guy who was Elena’s boyfriend just a short while ago, how does he react?
He’s all ready to go ahead and do what he can to get Elena back and can’t understand, in the beginning, why she’s not returning his phone calls. [Laughs] So [the next] episode spirals from there. But Damon’s working really hard to reclaim his undying and eternal love for Elena just as Elena, aka Katherine, is trying to extricate herself from Damon’s life.

TVLINE | Caroline and Klaus finally acted on their feelings – but it came with the caveat that he would never come back. Are things really over between them? Can Caroline really put this behind her?
I think they can both put it behind them because they both, admittedly, have other lives and other obligations they need to deal with. The thing with Caroline and Klaus is, she’s always been drawn to him and has this deep-rooted attraction to him that scared her… And yet, she wanted this. She was acting on her most base impulses and trying to get something out of her system. For Klaus, of course, it’s something we know that he’s always wanted. But he’s got obligations. He’s got a life that he’s got to get back to in New Orleans, baby on the way and all that stuff.

RELATED | Vampire Diaries Season 5 Casting Gay Character

TVLINE | And Tyler’s back. Does that send Caroline into a tailspin?
What should be a joyful occurrence for everybody, which is Tyler returning safe and sound, has the world’s most awkward timing for Caroline. She’s going to have to deal with the fallout of the decision she made to give in to her feelings for Klaus.

TVLINE | There were a couple Originals in the episode. Are we going to see more crossovers between the shows this season?
We don’t set out to plan them on a schedule. If something comes up when we’re breaking story and feels organic and like it would be enjoyable for the characters and not stick out like a sore thumb, we’re open to it. But this was the big one for the time being.

TVLINE | And what’s coming up for Bonnie?
She’s going to start intersecting with the Traveler agenda. We’re also going to meet some new witches that are going to take a particular interest in her despite the fact that she can no longer practice magic. As we get closer to the end of the season, she becomes quite integral not just to the plan to save herself and her friends from danger, but also to – in an exaggerated and yet, appropriate, phrase – save the world and everyone.

1. sara says:

Katherine taking over Elena’s body was not a surprise, there were hints galore, people had been calling it for weeks!

• Robert says:

Lol, you are right, everyone seen that coming. I for one do not understand the fact that Bonnie have other relatives out there who are witches but none of them are able to help her? my fear is they are writing Bonnine into a corner where she will be of no importance on the show.

• Ian says:

Exactly. Julie even admitted that they’d explored the idea of just killing Bonnie off, and I’m sure taking her powers is a step to getting rid of her. She died to save Jeremy and now she’ll die in some plot to save the world at the end of this season.
        What infuriates me the most though, is where are the storylines involving Bonnie’s relatives? She’s supposed to be heir to the most powerful line of witches, descended straight from Qetsiyah, but Qetsiyah was on the show and no mention of their relation. Julie’s just honestly not interested in Bonnie at all. It’s all about her triangle and Caroline, Caroline whose only around for more soapy romance crap, and yet she’s more important to the show.

LOL, I’m done with this show, if you can’t tell. The spirit appearances and Katherine hijacking Elena’s wasn’t at all unexpected or good.

• Lena says:

I actually watched the episode tonight after ignoring most of this season, but I’m sick of the writing for the character Bonnie. Tonight made me realize more than ever that I will not miss this show at all.

• Yanez says:

The writing for Bonnie has never been the best. I’ll still watch the show just because I’ve watched it since the beginning but the Bonnie storylines really bother me. She’s the only witch on the show and she comes from a powerful lineage of witches. Stephen and Damon have interacted with her ancestors in the past, there has to be something interesting they can find with her character. Sidenote: (and I’m not meaning this in a negative way) for some reason I can’t stop looking at that huge vein on Nina Dobrev’s forehead while watching this show. It’s just so prominent on her forehead I just can’t help but notice it whenever she’s on screen. Also, when I read above that Julie Plec wants to “shake-up” this Damon, Elena, Stephen, love triangle I just wanted to scream, NO MORE LOVE TRIANGLES!!!!! Let’s write about something else Plec.

• Chantall says:

I think its cruel to write off bonnie she has been through such alot of crap since season 1 just to save her friends they could create a intresting storyline..we have heard before vampires cannot have babies right! Well bonnie is not a vampire i think a pregnancy storyline would work for her and jeremy..

• Nicole says:

I agree.. they really need to focus on making Elena human again there are just to many vamps and not enough humans.. As far as Klaus and Caroline that was outh the blue I wanted them to hook up sure.. but itcould have been written out better

• BrianR says:

It would have been way more interesting if Katherine took over Caroline instead.

• Lisa says:

It would have been harder for Kathrine to ‘be’ Caroline. I think, She has been Elena for a thousand times. And Matt can give her every information she has to know about Elena because they knew each other their whole lives…

2. Courtney says:

Sigh. I was really hoping to be surprised, but unfortunately that was so predictable. I was also disappointed that Stefan/Elena and Damon/Elena, the core relationships of the show, didn’t really have any emotional moments. Very disappointing. Oh well. And the Klaus/Caroline scene felt out of nowhere (not that I dislike them or anything, I just think it could have been better and been built up more).

3. Fabe says:

I love Katherine. That is all. She is the best part of TVD by a million miles.

4. Michelle says:

Called Elena’s body getting hijacked. Yawn. And while I loved Klaus and Caroline as I always do…this was basically JP’s way of saying “Here’s your hybrid sex, leave me alone!” But hey, my headcanon of Caroline showing up at Klaus’s door 50 years from now and taking him up on that offer to travel the world is intact!

5. Lucy says:

I’m nearly ready to be done with this show.

6. Tessa says:

I really am not happy with this twist! I am sick and tired of Elena’s life always getting hijacked!

7. sara says:

Sadly I was not all that thrilled with this episode, was hoping for a lot more it being their 100th ep and all but the major surprise (the Katherine taking over Elena’s body thing) was figured out weeks ago by many viewers! Plus there’s no mention of how this switch will effect Stefan it’s once again all about Elena and Damon, ugh!

8. A.D. says:

BRING BACK ALARIC!!!!!

9. Brenna says:

Couldn’t take my eyes away from Klaus and Caroline, loved every minute of it!!!!! Though this interview made me a little sad. While I know they weren’t getting together any time soon, she made it seem like nothing is coming out of it. Hope we have more Klaroline somethings in the future (wouldn’t mind if it’s hinted at on the Originals).

• Vicky says:

Totally agree this interview has deflated my hopes a little but we have to hope Julie sees that she cannot afford to drop a storyline that has so many people hooked especially when she wasted all that time on Elenas relationships with Damon and Stefan. If it can’t happen in TVD then just take Caroline over to the Originals already! At least to try her character out over there.

10. Lady K says:

Personally, I celebrated this episode for all the things that were not Elena/Damon/Stefan/Katherine…..Klaus and Caroline were AMAZING!!! Their chemistry is phenomenal and just about burned up my screen (and note how she did not promise to not show up in New Orleans!)…Rebekah being the one to get Matt out of the safe and how happy they both were to see each other….Damon making Katherine see Elijah (in a suit!)…Matt finding out Vicky is watching over him…Alaric showing up and his “banter” with Damon….Damon and Stefan on the porch….Damon, Matt, and Jeremy playing the Katherine drinking game….the quadrangle is old and tired but the supporting characters are definitely still fun to watch! And man, I really miss Alaric!! Hears hoping he keeps making apparences like this one….

11. S says:

I love bad Katherine and they shoulda knew she didn’t really change well Damon did … Lol

12. Trenton says:

Won’t it be obvious two became one when Bona never sees Katherine knock knock knocking on heaven’s (ok long shot) door.

13. Beth Ann says:

So sick of Katherine, they just should have let her die. As for Nadia, she brings nothing to the show – horrible actress not to mention hideous. I’m enjoying The Originals a lot more than The Vampire Diaries.

• Steve says:

Finally someone else who understands! Katherine is the worst thing that ever happened to this show. She has become the most overused plot device in any TV series ever. The character has never been anything more than a McGuffin at best. The writers finally had a chance to get rid of her. But then they would have to get off their lazy asses and write real stories instead of going back to this (long dried up) well over and over again.
      Give us a real big bad. Nadia and the travelers are crap, and you are spot on about the actress being horrible. I am so close to just giving up on this show.

• Lisa says:

I’m thinking it’s horrible that Katherine treats her own daughter like she’s a dog… Shouldn’t they do mother-daughter bonding or something in a land far away?……

14. Ginger says:

So sad that people have been guessing the storylines before they air. It was even guessed that they would rip off yet another storyline from BtVS.
    Who knew they would rip it off right down to the blocking?!
    Katherine in Elena’s body in front of the mirror, trying to imitate Elena = Faith in Buffy’s body in front of the mirror trying to imitate Buffy. I mean, couldn’t they have even tried to make it look like they weren’t stealing?!
    Sad all around. No one’s heart is in it any more from actors to writers. Just give it up.

• Trenton says:

5 by 5

• Ruby says:

omg! i saw some Buffy many time ago and i dont remember stuff but i just checked that scene! the writers are are so stupid! how can they do such thing!? they dont think that they have also Buffy fans watching their show? ridiculous!

• Carla Krae says:

That would be a director choice, not a writer. The script would have Katherine admiring her new body, yes, but how it’s specifically shot is the director’s call.

• Trenton says:

Scripts have blocking elements as well. Like they will say exterior son and father stare on top of a cliff at the horizon as dawn approaches. Anyways maybe it was an omage, it’s just odd for her to do it as she has played elana so many times already seems superfluous.

• Ginger says:

Oh yes, they always play it off as an homage. Like Stefan being locked in a safe/trunk at the bottom of a lake for the whole summer was an homage to them doing that to Angel in the BtVS spin-off.
          And the secret research facility of making special vampires at Elena and Caroline’s college is nothing like the research facility Buffy and the gang encountered at Buffy’s freshman year of college… O_o
          The “homages” to BtVS are less ‘in honor of’ and more ‘I’ve run out of new ideas’…

• Olivia says:

but the thing is the vampire diaries book have so many elements from buffy so if they’re based on/inspired by the books obviously there are going to to similarities between the two shows…

• Justsayin' says:

TVD show is loosely based, metaphorically from the TVD books written early 1990′s. Buffy and Twilight both came after TVD books. Meaning both Buffy and Twilight copied and developed their stories from the original,TVD…….Justsayin’

• Olivia says:

I didn’t know the books came before buffy, anyway both series are based on magic and vampires so there is going to be some repetition of things

• Lets just hope that they dont make the characters play dumb and they figure it out as quick as they did on Buffy. I mean Bonnie has got to question it when Elena says Katherine is dead but she doesnt see her…like she did when Katherine was almost dead. Writers are getting lazy…Katherine has never been able to pull off Elena for long. Stupid Stupid. Only good parts were Klaus/Caroline and Alaric!!

15. Ruby says:

so disappointed with the episode! the writers promised an epic episode but it was too boring and predictable! Klaroline was awful! and it started and was over in 1 episode hahah! i so knew that! Stefan giving advice to Delena! so out of character!!! Kudos for Paul Wesley and Nina Dobrev who were amazing! I liked Katherine scenes and Stefan scenes! Glad that Tyler is back!

16. alistaircrane says:

I loved seeing Vicky again!!! She should never have been killed off. Annoying Caroline on the other hand….

17. Jj says:

This entire episode was predictable. Nothing surprised me at all. Gone are the days of TVD twists that no one could ever see coming….

Although I do love Katherine, The Originals has surpassed TVD for me.

18. Danielle says:

You know Julie is really screwing this show up. It’s almost like she has no idea what she is doing anymore, just haphazardly throwing things in the script and hoping the fans like whatever it is when 9 out of 10 times, they don’t. It’s almost like it’s the Julie show and who cares about what the fans think or about the ratings. News flash lady, you did not write the books, these are not really your characters and you are screwing them up royally. She’s the one that started ‘Klaroline’ in the first place and then she ignores them, then FINALLY, gives the Klaroline shippers something after years of waiting and now it’s all ‘haha just kidding b!tches, you mean nothing to me because that’s all your going to get while I go f*ck up Elena’s life for the 100,000th time!’ Julie needs to be fired or let go already and they need to bring in someone who cares about the characters, the show, character development and someone who listens to the fans once in awhile. Obviously you can’t please every fan but you don’t around pissing off 99.9% of the fandom because without us, this arrogant-god-complex biotch would have no show to run and ruin. Don’t you think she looks tired?

• Trenton says:

You get they r on different shows which are like different countries with their own storylines. They essentially double the profits by having two shows so unless they make her join that show it’s just a matter of practicality. Also he did say he intended to be her last, which for a vampire means possibly a long time. He isn’t ready for her, may never be, but if she gave him a shot at a relati

• Lucy Hill says:

Absolutely love your Doctor Who reference!!!

• Steve says:

Could not agree more.

19. sls says:

Love Katherine…glad she didn’t die…viewers predicted she would take over Elena’s body so that wasn’t too surprising….but honestly…if Katherine doesn’t get her body back and they have someone other than Nina playing her…not sure that will be very fun…It would be better for a new actress to start playing Elena, maybe then the character would become more interesting. Maybe then Elena wouldn’t be a doppleganger. Could add interesting dynamics to the triangle. But Nina does a great Katherine. Hope she gets to keep playing her.

20. Jillian says:

I don’t get all the hate for the episode. I loved it. Of course, I don’t sit there and read spoilers or theories all day so although it’s not surprising what Katherine did, I didn’t know weeks in advanced. It was great to see all the returning faces from the entire series. I especially loved when Rebekah came to save Matt, but that’s just because Rebekah has been my favorite since she rolled into Mystic Falls.

• Jj says:

I didn’t read any spoilers. And yet I still predicted everything that happened.
      Anyways, all my faves except Katherine are on The Originals, so I think I’m re ordering my priority list on my DVR.

• Francine says:

Yeah the Katherine/Elena thing definitely wasn’t because people were reading spoilers all day long… As soon as Nadia mentioned the idea, it was obvious that that was what was going to happen. I was actually hoping the show wouldnt go there because it WAS so obvious and predictable. I liked the episode but miss when the show used to genuinely shock.

• Rain388 says:

I’m with you Jillian, I loved the episode. I came online this morning all excited to chat with others about the episode and found all this negative crap. It’s nice to see at least one positive post on here!

21. Luli says:

I loved the episode! Couldn’t stop crying! as much as I saw the ending coming I’m so glad that Katherine didn’t die… She truly is my favorite character, and hands down one of the best of the show. I’ll take her any day over Elena. I hope she gets her body back or something because lets be real she doesn’t stand a chance in Elena’s body and she needs to come out of this mess alive, I can’t take another Katherine dying, too much for me…
    Loved seeing all the old faces, and KLAROLINE even though they just did that to satisfy their fans and nothing will ever happen again between them.
    And can Elena be more pathetic?? acting jealous/mad about Steferine was just out of line, she tecnically is with Damon. She needs to back off and let Stefan move on and have a life WITHOUT her. He can be with Katherine (Their scenes were amazing) or anyone for that matter!
    Also Stefan giving Elena and Damon advice about getting back together… seriously???

• wherescourtney says:

I thought the very same watching Stefan give advise it was actually stupid!
      Also they should have left the Klaroline alone. They ruined it!

22. Babybop says:

Loved that we got to see all the familiar faces! I, for some reason I will never understand, like Klaus and Caroline together… I hope she at some point can transition over to The Originals and they can make better use out of her character than just being the wacky side kick.

Granted, I knew that Katherine was going to be in Elena’s body since they mentioned the whole Katherine being a traveler thing, but that doesn’t mean I’m not excited to see Katherine mess up Elena’s life. Plus, this probably means a lot more Katherine and a lot less Elena, and that sounds like a better Vampire Diaries to me…

23. Petrova says:

Katherine really is my favorite character and I’m so glad she didn’t die. Although the idea of redemption for Katherine is long gone now after what she did with Elena’s body. I’m still having hopes for her character’s redemption but I guess Katherine Pierce is just Katherine Oierce. I still love her though and so glad she didn’t die!

24. L.M. says:

Loved seeing all the familiar faces! And that Klaus and Caroline scene was beyond awesome!!!

25. Adele says:

Sometimes characters just need to die to move the show along. The taking over Elena is boring, try moving the central characters along a new plot line. This is just a rehash of other TV shows that have done this already. So yes won’t be watching anymore.

26. AnnieM says:

Loved Klaus & Caroline. Love Katherine. Still wondering what the heck those chanting Czeks with the buckets of blood were all about.

27. Ally Oop says:

The Originals is such a better show. These past two seasons of Vampire Diaries have been awful. The storylines all start with a lot of potential but the endings always suck.

28. MaryAnn says:

Wouldn’t Bonnie get suspicious when she didn’t feel Katherine cross over?

• Ric Fule says:

Exactly! She saw Katherine when her heart stopped, but NOT when she “died.” Suspicious much? So, the main question is is, “What do they do with Katherine’s body?” Since it appears that Katherine’s daughter is on the hunt for it in the next episode.

29. MaryAnn says:

Ok, after reading everyone’s comments, I must say I had a different reaction.

First, I did not at all see it coming that Katherine was going to take over Elena’s body. But then I don’t read spoiler sites very much either. I was getting into, and believing her doing the right thing for once. I actually gasped in shock when she so cleverly betrayed Elena and stole her body. But this confirmed her evil and selfishness once and for all. They can kill her now when they finally get her out of Elena’s body and I won’t miss her in the least. I just hope this whole thing won’t be the arc for the rest of the season and that Katherine is gone in just a few episodes.

Caroline and Klaus. Eeuwwww! How could Caroline give in to that? It was total darkness. And I do feel sorry for her now that Tyler is back. After what Caroline did in terms of betraying the memory of their love just makes it impossible for them to ever have a future. It would eat her alive to get together with Tyler without telling him what happened between her and Klaus, and it would end the relationship if he knew, so there is no way for it to happen now.

Loved seeing Vicky and Alaric and Elena’s sister Jena. I would love to see them back for an entire arc. Alaric and Jena were two of my favorite characters on the show ever, and they are greatly missed.

All in all, not a bad episode. I just wish we had seen more of our ghostly visitors, and that Katherine had actually died selflessly as she was pretending, so that we could see her gone in a decent sendoff.

• Ric Fule says:

How could Caroline give in? Easy. She wanted her “Scandalous sex.” Her words from earlier in the episode when she found out about Bonnie and Jeremy.

30. Pauli says:

I’m surprised to see so much hate for this episode in the comments. Though, I’ll admit, I saw the whole Katherine taking over Elena’s body thing coming weeks ago, and I’m not at all excited for the ickiness this is going to bring to the Damon/Elena/Stefan dynamics. It was super predictable, and I thought it took away from the beautiful death scene between her and Stefan. I of course didn’t want Katherine to die, but this episode felt like a proper send off and the ending kind of undermind that. But, before the annoying ending, I was loving this episode. I loved all the cameos, the flashbacks with Katherine, the reminiscing, the klaroline. I laughed, I cried, I felt many feels. I thought this was far and away the best episode of the season and a very fitting 100th episode.

31. dee123 says:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz. Could see this coming a mile away. This show ain’t what it used to be. This close to giving it up.

32. Lynda says:

I don’t know. There were parts of this episode that I liked in being the whole gang was back together- if even briefly.

I don’t know what happened to some of the chars during the last few seasons though, here’s my take

1.)Elena is stale and fairly self-centered, bitchy and riding some non-existent, “isn’t she so pure of heart” line that you hear other chars in the show mentioning often as to remind us fans that’s why we were supposed to like her.

2)I liked Damon and Elena together before those two broke up in RL but, I don’t know if anyone else noticed, but they’re interactions seem forced.Also, I think Nina enjoys playing Katherine more and it shows.

3.)Klaus and Caroline make perfect sense to me somehow. As being a woman who’s had it bad for the bad-boy sociopath without having a clue why and half wanting to give in and half hating myself for it I get it, though I would have liked to see more interaction between these two. It was disappointing to see them use “let me bang him and I’ll forget him” which honestly doesn’t resonate. It would have been better to leave it a bittersweet moment where she admits her feelings, but perhaps in honoring herself walks away leaving him wanting.

4.)Stephan without the Elena(Katherine) relationship seems like a man with nothing to do with his time but hang out and get tortured by the fact that he doesn’t have a purpose. He used to be the perennial hero (love the hero hair references) but now he’s just a broken, somewhat dysfunctional guy that used to date the “girl next door” and struggle with his Vampire side to retain his humanity.

5.) What happened to Damon? Damon being the foil was great. He was fantastic at being the damaged but charming vamp you loved to hate to love.

6.)The rest of the cast made it great by providing this fabric which added realism and relationships to the show. The flashback sequences were fun, showing us the reasons why these characters became what they are. Most of that is gone now. Most are all Vamps or witches (poor Matt, the only human and the most poorly used)

7.) Sad fact is – the show lost its grounding, it’s purpose and mostly the payoff – which would be to find and accept redemption. The writers clearly need to refocus themselves and figure out what the organic evolution of being in a relationship creates. Not just fill episodes worth of (junk food) enticing moments without any depth or consequence.

Will probably give it to the end of this season to evolve or die. Hope the writers can like this show again. Maybe the actors will care again then too.

• morgan says:

I agree, good comments. The show doesn’t have grounding. I can’t put my finger on what it is exactly other than there used to be a lot of human-interest story lines and now everyone’s a vampire. I know they couldn’t stay in high school forever but maybe they shouldn’t have killed off all the humans. They’ve also taken the triangle into some deep dark places they should be afraid to talk about with anyone, let alone share with us “Oh Damon is with Elena now? Didn’t he sleep with her mother?” I’m trying to like D&E but it’s not happening for me. I know I’m in the minority but whatevs.
      Stefan absolutely need something to do, unrelated to Elena maybe?
      I am a fan of Klaus and Caroline but they finally hook up…in the WOODS? Didn’t he promise to wine and dine her, take her to Europe and all that jazz? A tousle in the forest seems weird.
      Don’t get me wrong I did like the episode but each week the problems I have with this show keep resurfacing. End this show soon.
      I know it’s natural to compare it to the originals but- TO is a brand new show, TVD is on it’s last legs a better comparison to make would be season 1 of TO vs. season 1 of TVD.
      Show highlight: seeing ALARIC and Jenna.

• Steve says:

It’s become clear to me that the show runners no longer care about this show. This entire season has been nothing but a desperate crawl to reach 100 episodes, so the show can go into syndication. I really do hope this is the last season if this is the kind of crap we are going to have shoved in our faces.

33. sarah says:

VD has run out of ideas, we all saw this coming ages ago, we don’t even get shocked anymore by the show.
    the originals on the other hand is getting better and better
    maybe its time to end VD as sad as i would be they are scrapping the barrel now
    but loved caroline and klaus, they have such great chemistry that i have missed there scenes and interaction together, they were always the most fun to watch.
    VD needs to kill someone, or do something drastic to shock us, like back in season 1 when it all felt fresh and new.

34. Klaroline says:

Loved Klaroline but it was still not enough. It seemed that she was more bored and lonely than actually wanting Klaus. Hope she goes to originals at some point but does she actually know about Hayley?

Not remotely interested in Tyler being back. And are Matt, Bonnie and Jeremy ever going to do something remotely interesting? Would be happier if they weren’t in it.

Found it strange that Elijah didn’t actually go to say goodbye to Katherine (rather than Damon being his usual twisted self).

So bored with the whole Katherine/Elena thing. I like both characters but sick of the fact that neither of them can be with Damon or Stefan for longer than 5 minutes. I’m a Delena and a Statherine fan. Loved Alaric being back ever so briefly.

35. sara says:

I’m sorry but anyone with half a brain would have see the ending coming. It was not shocking in the least.
    Hope to never seen Klaus on this show again.

36. Meredith says:

I have to say I’m kind of bitter about the Klaroline scenes. I LOVE those two together but that dialogue and situation just seemed so forced. We have this crazy connection so let’s hook up in the woods once to demonstrate that? I wish she would have just let the graduation scene be their last scene together, it was more convincing and appropriate for their relationship. I’m over the Katherine traveling in Elena’s body storyline before it’s even started. And are there no more repercussions from the Augustine vampire arch? This show has started to get too all over the place. Borderline on deleting it from the DVR.

37. Robert says:

Some people on this comments section believed people found the info on the Katherine/Elena possession on spoiler sites, but I for one did not need a spoiler site to tell me once Nadia told her mother to tap into her magical side to live on in another body, I already knew the vain Katherine would choose Elena because she want to look exactly like herself. I did enjoy seeing the cameos but I am still disappointed in the lack of power for Bonnie, as a comment said earlier;she has a rich family history, directly related to the Witch who created the otherside! they also ignored the fact she also had psychic gifts that she used in season one. The episode had it’s good points but the show needs to find that fire it once had and give Bonnie some serious kick and who knows maybe have her cross over to the Originals to help the NOLA Witches. I will proudly admit Bonnie is my favorite character for many reasons, one which, she is the first Witch of color on a major tv series. I will be beyond sad if they write her off and there is a very good chance I will no longer watch the show, so I am keeping my fingers cross, Bonnie will live for many seasons more.

38. Ginger says:

I read no spoilers. I didn’t even know the episode was new until my DVR started recording. As soon as Nadia mentioned the idea, I knew Katherine would want to do it, but would NEVER do it in a body that didn’t look like her own. So, obviously down with Elena. I just wish they wouldn’t have done it, taken the easy way out and taken the storyline (and blocking/direction/dialogie) from BtVS. They aren’t even TRYING to HIDE the fact that they are blatantly and continuously stealing plot lines.

39. Heather says:

I’m so disappointed in the Klaus, Caroline get together. The fans have followed this romance between the two of them and it was wham bam and very clear it was over with. As a fan I felt let down!
    I feel Julie wants to get VD back to the original love triangle between Elena, Stefan & Damon which starts to get old after a while.

• dude says:

The bottom line is, Klaus is much better served on The Originals so either they relocate Caroline to The Originals which isn’t going to happen (that cast is bloated enough as it is) or they end that flirtation which I don’t think even the writers could ever see materializing as a full-blown relationship. They made the right choice. I don’t think it’d be believable that Caroline would ever let her attraction to Klaus develop into anything deeper than that given her disdain for what Damon’s done in the past.

40. Liza says:

Loves this episode!!! Klaus and Caroline were AMAZING!!! Wish we could get some of those characters back on a regular basis. Namely, ALARIC!!!! Killing him off was their worst mistake.

41. Weezy says:

I’ve been wanting to stop watching this show for about a season now but kept watching in the hopes that it would return to its S1/2 highs. It’s such a completely different show now. I don’t know if it’s the writing or lack of a big/well-thought out arc to keep me interested, but this show has become TERRIBLE. It used to be surprising and suspenseful with great pacing and interesting storylines, but now it feels like this incohesive mess sputtering along from one stupid conflict to the next. Katherine taking possession of Elena is THE END for me. Yes Katherine has been one of the best characters on the show, but it’s time for her to get her just desserts. She is the most evil, manipulative, skanky piece of garbage that ever walked the earth and yet I’m supposed to feel sorry for her b/c she got involved with a psychopath who killed her family 1000 years before? I’m just so tired of the gray area thing, justifications for everything, etc. They finally had a chance to punish her and be rid of this villain once and for all, but of course I knew that would never happen. TVD took the easy way out yet again, extending the life of a character whose time has truly come to die so that they can use the storyline as a few episode fillers until whatever next stupid enemy pops up. Time for this show to end. If the actors/actresses weren’t good for the most part, this show would’ve fizzled out years ago. Not to mention I don’t think they have a freaking clue where the story is going anymore and make it up as it comes along.

42. dude says:

That Originals crossover felt so out of place given what happened on The Originals this Tuesday. At least when Chicago Fire/Chicago PD do crossovers they’re organic to the story and the characters mental states. Tuesday’s episode ends with all the characters emotionally distraught and setting up these plans for their next schemes yet Klaus and Rebekah just decided to drop everything to go to Mystic Falls so Klaus could bone Caroline and Rebekah could deliver Tyler? It felt very random and unearned.

43. Safe to say there’s going to be some issues if Julie Plec thinks this is going to be the end of Klaroline. The fandom will not stand for it and she knows it. Backlash x 10000000000

44. emma says:

Such a boring predictable episode. Kevin needs to come back. Get rid of Caroline dries and Julie Plec. Awful writers

45. MP says:

I really enjoyed seeing the old characters. It was so nicely done, albeit too short for my taste, especially Alaric. I used to love TVD so much I’d watch it twice and I own a couple seasons on DVD. The past few seasons have not been up to par with the earlier seasons and I wish it was better now. It’s getting stale for me.

46. Delena forever says:

Sadly the reason why Elijah wasn’t on is because the actor too busy with a new baby and doing two shows it is really hard for his schedule so at least he got to do one scene that is what counts. I was glad to see Jenna and Alaric and even John. Even though he was a jerk he did love Elena and he showed it in the end same with isobel. It would have been cool to isobel too but she is now on lost girl and John is dr Frankenstein on once upon a time. I think what Katherine did was predictable too and I wish that they just gave her a redeemable death but they had to change it. I really think they shouldn’t have but they did. I hope Elena gets her body back or they do a switch or by the end of the season they do give Katherine a proper death or make us think that’s she’s gone. Give her a death a good twist with a surprise and not something everyone so easily predicted. It’s supposed to be suprising not predictable.

47. Liss says:

this must be a joke right? This episode was a mess. Stefan and katherine did have some great moments, klaus and caroline were perfect but it wasn’t epic.. We are waiting for klaus and caroline for so long, and the only thing that happend was some hot and heavy moments and that is the end? Of course i am happy they shared a romantic moment, but now they are telling us that it is the end for a while, that isn’t fair.
    And then the katherine/elena body switching we allllllll knew that was going to happen, first i thought hmm that can be good. But now i read this.. it is just going to be a mess. We all know that when elena is her old self again she will be back with damon because that is what julie tells here above. But what about stefan? he thinks that the love of his life wants to start a life with him again and then it is all fake and he is back being alone again? if that happens i wil NOT watch vd ever again. And i am a huge huge fan i am looking for spoilers every single day but if they will do that to stefan/paul Wesley then i am done.
    How many ways are there to rip his heart out! stefan telling elena and damon to not give up on each other is also a big mistake yes it is great that stefan has a big heart but it is killing the stelena fans and they don’t deserve that. I know that delena fans have waited so long for delena to happen and i am glad that delena is together right now but lets be honest the way they hurt stefan in the storylines is wrong and i hate it.
    And were the hell was Elijah? The last thing he said to katherine was goodbye katherine and that was it. It was so wrong of julie to not let him stand by katherine’s side. I also think that it was wrong to let damon be so hard against katherine. He loved her once so i thought it was strange that he didn’t said one positive thing about her. Hoping that vd only wants to use the katherine/elena storyline to bring the triangle back again but not to hurt stefan. Bring back bad boy damon let stefan be the hero and give matt, bonnie etc more screen time and vd is back being the good show that it was!

48. ImSmarterThanYou says:

I’m hoping they use Stefan and Elena’s doppelganger blood to reanimate Katherine’s body. They can then have Katherine back, as a vampire, with the unfortunate consequence of also keeping Elena around as well.

49. Danielle H. says:

Was let down.. I adore this show, but it is rehashing upon rehashing things at this point. Liked seeing a few old favs, but again, this is a rehash too. Liked seeing the Originals pop up, but as much as I wanted to see Klaus finally get Caroline to jump him, it was for shock factor and kind of cheap.

Read no spoilers for the ep, but saw the twist coming a mile away. I really hope the writers can put some punch back into this series and stop just repeating things over and over.

50. 10 says:

Really dissapointed about how Klaroline played out. It’s completely out of Character got Klaus to just promise he will leave his (so called) true love aline forever just so they can have one moment against a tree… He could have just waited it out as he said he would. But they needed some room for plotdevelopment between Klaus and Camille in The Originals. Truly an underestimation of the fans, as if we can’t see what they are trying to do. Plus they undermine their own storylines and characterdevelopments… Oh well, maybe (or definatly) I’m taking this show to seriously. They don’t take te viewers seriously so maybe I should do the same for the show ☺️
    Hoping Enzo will make the show more interesting by bringing out some of the ol’ bad ass Damon!

• Meredith says:

Are they bringing Enzo back? Because if Caroline can’t be with Klaus I think Enzo is the perfect match. They can bond over their hatred for Damon!