How I Met Your Mother 200th Episode First Look: The Mother's Story Revealed!

The Mother takes center stage in Monday’s 200th episode of How I Met Your Mother (CBS, 8/7c), and we’ve got your first look at the familiar scenes — and roommate! — the CBS sitcom will revisit, albeit from a different angle.

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Recap: Barney’s [Spoiler] Revealed! — Plus, Ted’s Kids Get Namechecked

The milestone half-hour tells the story of what the titular mama was up to in the eight years before she met Ted. As such, viewers will once again glimpse that night Ted visited Cindy (returning guest star Rachel Bilson, Hart of Dixie) and got his first peek at the mom, not to mention the bachelor’s fateful first day teaching in the wrong classroom. But this time, it’s all told from The Mother’s point of view.

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Season 9 Spoilers200th Episode Starring The Mother

“Our 100th episode was very much a celebration of the cast – not that the cast doesn’t deserve celebrating even more after 200 episodes – but this is a different kind of story,” says executive producer Carter Bays. “It’s about the tale. It felt like a different kind of 200th episode, but it felt like the right one to do in terms of the greater story of the show.”

Flip through the slideshow to get a different view of HIMYM‘s past.

Comments (41)

• My only wish is that it was an hour long.

Comment by Teag – January 23, 2014 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally this.

Time’s running out people and we’ve not seen nearly enough of her!

Comment by John NYC – January 23, 2014 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There will be a bunch of “deleted scenes” from this one that will drive the DVD sales/downloads.

Comment by Patrick – January 23, 2014 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It really surprised me that they didn’t, not only is it episode 200 of their second highest rated comedy(i think) but also there seem to be alot of ground to cover

Comment by hello – January 23, 2014 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. 22 minutes to show and tell what happened with her the last 8 years? Yikes.

Comment by Teag – January 23, 2014 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • yeah and thats a show that is giving a “wedding weekend” a full season span! Yikes indeed!

Comment by dax – January 23, 2014 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Hopefully they’ll give the Mother a name in this episode. I don’t see how you could tell 8 years of her life and not mention her name.

Comment by taran63 – January 23, 2014 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I bet a million dollars this is meant to be the backdoor pilot to the How I Met Your Father we’ve heard bandied about. If the numbers are up…(and Dixie gets cancelled…which it could)…I wouldn’t be surprised to see them go that route.

Comment by Will Benson – January 23, 2014 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • nope, it was announced over a month ago that how i met your dad (as its now called) is going to have an entirely separate cast.

Comment by Alan – January 23, 2014 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You lose a million dollars.

Comment by Babar – January 24, 2014 01:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s true – the good news is perhaps he can change the dollars to ‘bitcoins’ and pay up that way. Who knows what that stuff is worth at any given moment?

Comment by code boy – January 24, 2014 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m loving this episode already! I’ve waiting for this for ages (well not so much, but you know it’s good).

Comment by Luz – January 23, 2014 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s about damn time they use Cristin Millioti more than 5 minutes.

Comment by Olivia – January 23, 2014 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Rachel Bilson!

Comment by erin – January 23, 2014 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think I’ve been this excited for a HIMYM episode for a long time

Comment by ck – January 23, 2014 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bilson/Milioti together is beyond adorable. Were that there was a whole alternate series!

Comment by J – January 23, 2014 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You know theory about The Girl with the Yellow Umbrella being dead? I’m inclined to think this kind of disproves it. At least I hope it does, because I really don’t want her to be dead. I saw a thing on facebook earlier that theorized that Will died on the playground in Fresh Prince, and the cab took him to heaven etc etc. Plus there’s the one with the Rugrats where the whole show is in the older cousin’s mind because she’s a basket case, and now there’s one going about where Sandy died on the beach in Grease. I have to ask, why is everyone so frakking morbid? Why does everyone have to be dead? Why does everyone have to come up with such dark, morbid explanations? Are we, as a culture/species, really that messed up?

Comment by Tom Charles – January 23, 2014 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • stop reading “this one or that one” on facebook. it’s full of stories for susceptible people like you, and it’s a waste of energy, oxygen, and life. it says more about you as a person for believing /reading them as it does about our culture….

Comment by Higb – January 23, 2014 11:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If the episode begins with Cristin’s Voice saying “Kids I want to tell the story about how I met your father” I will going to SCREAM. And, If the kids are adults as the funny video at Comic Con 2013 that will means that the mother is still alive in the future. Fingers crossed

Comment by Fernanda – January 23, 2014 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’d be funny to me if at the end she says to future Ted, “Now That’s How You Tell A Story”

Comment by Royal Eduardo – January 23, 2014 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It should be someone else doing the narration, maybe Geena Davis or some other 80s-90s star

Comment by Riana – January 23, 2014 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I kind of love that suggestion.

Comment by Tom Charles – January 23, 2014 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • how about Lori Loughlin, she was on the Full House tv show with Bob Saget (Future Ted’s voice)

Comment by Fernanda – January 23, 2014 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • This is genius!

Comment by DarkDefender – January 23, 2014 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay wish it was an hour!

Comment by Mika02 – January 23, 2014 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know the theory about her being dead popped up after the episode where Ted went to her door and told her he wished he’d had those 45 extra days with her, but I just never took that to be a “mourning her death” sort of thing. Isn’t it kind of normal to wish someone who’s a bright spot in your life came into it earlier? Ted’s been pretty miserable during this time, with wanting to escape to Chicago and all, of course he’d wish to have met her earlier instead.

Comment by Brooke – January 23, 2014 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m with you Brooke… i didnt see it being morbid, everyone in his life had their someone special & he was alone going to see robots vs wrestlers.. As the old song goes..he’s so tired of being alone…lol

Comment by emw – January 23, 2014 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG this has spinoff written all over it… how I met your father here we go!

Comment by LaTrosa – January 23, 2014 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Incorrect. HIMYD will have an all new cast.

Comment by Teag – January 23, 2014 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would have rather had a whole season about the mother and 22 minutes about the wedding weekend than vice versa.

Comment by Tee – January 23, 2014 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If she’s dead and he’s wasted all this time telling his kids about his friends and every single stupid thing they did for all those years instead of talking about everything that made his dead wife and their dead mother special and wonderful… Then that would be ridiculous. Calling your show “How I Met Your Mother” and going all this time without the mother is pretty silly. But making her DEAD and going all this time without her would be offensive and sad.

Comment by Amie – January 23, 2014 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there any chance this episode explains where the hell did the pineapple come from? Because seriously, that’s been ticking in my head since season 1.

Comment by Tiago Andrade (Mad Max Andrade) – January 23, 2014 10:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That will be one of the mysteries that probably won’t get solved… I think there was an interview with the EPs and they said that there very well will be mysteries that wont’ be able to be solved…
      I don’t even think they know how it got there, they just used it as a device to show thatTed is old when he is telling the story and to highlight how drunk he was….

Comment by Shuayb – January 23, 2014 10:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • future ted says he doesnt know where the pineapple came from and i would assume that if the mother knew she would tell him. anyway i like the idea of having something small like that be unexplained, seems more like real life where we dont always understand everything that happens around us.

Comment by Alan – January 24, 2014 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for this episode because I have grown to love the character of the Mother and she is awesome. The best casting of the entire series was Ms. Milioti. She makes perfect sense for this cast.

I also need to see how she and Robin meet, that’s the only meet we have yet to see.

Comment by Shuayb – January 23, 2014 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Except her meeting Ted :)

Comment by Meg – January 24, 2014 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so excited for this episode. Bringing the mother into this season has breathed life back into the show. All the episodes I’ve liked this year have been the ones with her in them. I can’t wait to see her for a whole episode. She just fits right in the group. I really hope there’s a flashforward of all of them at MacLaren’s.

Comment by Mikael – January 24, 2014 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know the producers are said HIMYD is completely new characters seeming to suggest it isn’t the Mom’s story but I still hold out a slim chance that is to give themselves some breathing room if it doesn’t go to series rather than having upset fans show up with pitch forks and torches.

Comment by CoryB – January 24, 2014 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am pretty sure that the mothers name is daily as that’s one of the final episodes names.

Comment by SamR96 – January 26, 2014 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post