Saturday Night Live Names Seth Meyers' 'Weekend Update' Replacement

colin-jost-weekend-update-snlSaturday Night Live has found Jost the man to replace Seth Meyers as “Weekend Update” co-anchor.

Head writer Colin Jost will occupy the seat next to Cecily Strong starting in March, after Meyers bids the sketch-comedy show farewell on Feb. 1 and becomes host of the network’s Late Night talker. The news was first reported by our sister site Deadline.

RELATED | Drake Hosts Saturday Night Live: Watch Video of the Best and Worst Sketches!

Jost is the third consecutive head writer to serve as SNL‘s news reader, following in the wake of Meyers and Tina Fey.

PHOTOS | Winter TV Spoiler-palooza! Your Scoop-Filled Guide to 31 Returning Favorites

Jost, who has performed standup on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon, wrote such recent SNL bits as the Miley Cyrus “We Did Stop” government shutdown parody, a Kerry Washington sketch poking fun at the show’s long-standing dearth of black female cast members, as well as “Weekend Update” regulars Drunk Uncle and The Girl You Wish You Hadn’t Started a Conversation With at a Party, Deadline notes.

1. Joel says:

So Males can host by themselves. But woman always need a cohost.

2. ggny says:

Bad idea they should have let Cecily Strong shine by herself. Oh maybe went for a female cohost

• Bryce says:

Using a writer gives them more cast members to work with for weekend update bits. We will never see Girl at a Party again because Cecily is now an anchor. I think it’s a good decision.

• cjeffery7 says:

she’d been on weekend update for half a season. if it were me, i would NOT want to host by myself.

3. Tran 2.0 says:

I’m OK with that but I think Colin Jost should be a perfect fit as Seth Meyers’ replacement on Weekend Update with Cecily Strong and he should definitely be part of the cast and ends up as a “feature player” once SNL returns from the Olympic break. My pick would’ve been Kate McKinnon but that’s the way it goes.

• Bryce says:

Kate McKinnon is pretty much the star of weekend update tho! Her characters are always the best. I’d so only let her anchor if she does it as an Eastern European.

4. Dtaylor says:

So another white guy will be joining the cast.

5. Xj says:

Was hoping for taran k but anything a better than Seth meyers

6. Abe Froman says:

I wonder if he realizes he’s the head writer of the worst written show on TV.

7. Matthew says:

Cecily wanted a cohost, please look around for other stories on this subject and you will find the answers.

8. Brooke says:

I love Cecily as her characters but with Weekend Update – she isn’t anything special. I don’t think she could carry it on her own. We’ll see how this dude is. Hopefully he’s funny.

• Tran 2.0 says:

Cecily should be fine as Weekend Update co-anchor for the rest of the season and many more to come but I don’t know how people got mixed reactions about her as Update co-anchor and I really don’t know who made that decision.

9. Joey says:

Hope he’ll do good as a co-anchor with Cecily. Looking forward how he does when the show returns in March.

10. Jake says:

Not enough black co-hosts, male or female. It needed to be Sasheer.
    (For the record, that was sarcasm.)

11. gonzo says:

Everyone know women arent funny. Good thing they brought a man in for that Strong lady. And she should wear more clothes to accentuate her boobs. I find it much easier to listen to a lady when she has nice boobs. To recap, men = funny, ladies = BOOBS.

12. Shira W says:

Strong got up to speed quickly and was rocking it. She could have carried it on her own and should have been given the chance. The chemistry with Seth was gold and I’m sure they will connect again in the future. Colin who? Not all writers belong on screen.

13. Alexandra says:

WHERE ARE THE PEOPLE OF COLOR?! Like seriously? There has never been a Black host of Weekend Update since its beginning in the freaking 70s! I really thought maybe we would get someone other than a white guy but this is SNL after all.