New Girl Vs. Mindy Project's Winter Finale: Which Romantic Twist Was More Awww-some?

Mindy Project Danny KissRomance was in good supply during the second hour of Fox’s Tuesday comedy line-up — but which “surprising” moment left the biggest smile on your face?

RELATED | Fox’s Midseason Plan: Glee Returns to Tuesday, Mindy‘s Big Hiatus

On New Girl, much of the half-hour revolved around Nick’s ability to celebrate Jess’ birthday all day long, from morning (starting at 7am, when she was born!) until… whenever.

Yet just as things were looking a bit bleak — a “surprise” bounty of baked treats discovered at Griffith Park actually belonged to an 9-year-old birthday girl — Nick & Co. turned Jess’ lonesome trip to the movies into a celebration of Day’s birth, including aisles full of familiar faces and a video presentation populated by many others, including Jamie Lee “Mom” Curtis and Rob “Dad” Reiner. Almost made you forget Coach and Winston’s half-baked bake-off subplot.

RELATED | Fox Rewards Freshman Comedy Enlisted With Timeslot Promotion

Then on The Mindy Project, Mindy and Danny’s return from Los Angeles was detoured by an unannounced, begrudging visit to the latter’s father (and sister, also named Danny). Mindy proved supportive during Danny’s obviously tenuous reunion, even as she (with “help” from Peter and Morgan) worked to make Cliff realize the error of his ways. Yet just as Cliff did, a bit of turbulence on the flight back prompted Danny to get up from his seat find Mindy, who was angling to pinch him some proper tonic water (versus seltzer), and pull her into an impromptu liplock — which, after registering proper surprise, she warmly welcomed. To be continued… on April 1!

All of which brings us to our polls….

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Polls

1. Gabriel says:

How about neither I would’ve liked the Stefan and Caroline kiss more that should’ve been eonline’s blind item.

2. enri says:

The Mindy Project was amazing last night. April is so far away.

3. Samantha says:

I can’t believe you made me choose between those two AMAZING episodes. Both had me squealing and flailing.

4. Justin says:

The Mindy Project hands down.
    New Girl has lost it’s mojo

• Elyse says:

Nick and Jess make me cringe… which is a shame because I used to love New Girl.

• FL says:

I beg to differ-New Girl is definitey just getting better. The Mindy Project’s kiss reminded me of Nick and Jess’s-even the timing of it was tehs ame as Nick and Jess’s last year and they look to be following the same aftermath as Nick and Jess’s kiss. Nevertheless, both episodes shouldn’t be pitted against each other as they both had different sentiments to them-a best kiss poll might have been more appropriate.

• Mark says:

New Girl “lost its mojo” halfway through season one.

• Meredith says:

I totally agree! I loved New Girl last season but feel like they ruined the show with the writing around Nick & Jess’ relationship. I love, love, LOVE Mindy and Danny’s chemistry but am nervous them being together will kill the show a la New Girl.

• Jennifer says:

For sure. I deleted New Girl from the DVR a few weeks ago it’s TERRIBLE! Even at it’s best, it doesn’t compare to Mindy. The Mindy Project is HILAROUS!

• Ari says:

Agreed! I really dislike Nick & Jess together. I think they bring out the worst in each other. Mindy Project on the other hand has been getting better and better. It’s really underrated!

5. Elyse says:

the Mindy Project hands down!!

6. kd83954 says:

They were both SO GOOD. But I gotta say, in terms of shock value, The Mindy Project wins. I remember reading something on this site about how the LA episode was good for Mindy and Danny but never in my wildest dreams did I expect a KISS. Especially since Mindy Kaling has come out and said she doesn’t know if she wants to the characters to go romantic. Sneaky sneaky. The slow build of Mindy and Danny has been great, and I’m so curious to know what it’ll happen with them! But I also gotta give mad props to New Girl. That episode was amazing. Coach/Winston are my new favorite duo. And the bit with the theater was soooo swoon-worthy! A great night for both shows!

7. Liz says:

Mindy Project was perfect!! We’ve been seeing Danny struggle all season, fighting against the realization that he likes her. Then we saw it all play over his face during that turbulence. Ug, it was perfect. I didn’t think they were going to go there this soon, but I’m so glad they did!

8. deaht says:

Just when I was all happy that (for the most part) both fans of The Mindy Project and New Girl were in agreement that BOTH episodes kicked ass…TVline has to turn it into a Vs. thing. Lame. They both rocked.

• deaht says:

Also wanna add that they were both going for different things. Mindy went for the shocking cliff hanger, New Girl went for the heartstrings and both succeeded in making FOX Tuesday a very good night of television.

9. Stef says:

I like The Mindy Project but Mindy often grates on my nerves. She doesn’t deserve Danny. I love New Girl and Nick & Jess. I have to honestly say that although the Mindy/Danny kiss was surprising and hot, it had nothing on Nick & Jess’s first kiss. A much fairer question would have been which show had the best first kiss. The couples are at two different places in their relationships now.

10. Meredith says:

Isn’t that the exact same kiss Jess and Nick shared last season on New Girl. Mindy’s kiss was fine, but a tribute kiss, at best.

• Lecholls says:

Yeah, I agree.

• Jane Doe says:

Not for me, I don’t compare the two couples that much, Mindy and Danny seem much “older.” Having established careers, a broken engagement and a divorce under their belts, their coming together is actually celebrated because they are right for each other and the timing works.
      As for Nick and Jess, they are all over the place- neither one knows what they want (career-wise) and they act like twenty-somethings (Nick’s bills box, Jess’s endearing love of bows and sparkles.)
      So, yes, the kisses were similar in that they both were surprises, but Danny kissed Mindy because he know’s he’s right for her, even after helping her write the letter to Cliff.

• jjovana3 says:

Agreed.

11. sg54 says:

Go New Girl! Can’t wait for more!

12. Stef says:

MINDY!! I squealed and flailed like woah. SO didnt expect that to happen yet!! Very pleased it did tho as just before the ep started I was wondering how long they’re gonna make us wait for some Danny/Mindy kissage. So gonna rewatch that episode again and again.

April is too freaking far away tho :( Stupid long hiatus, sigh.

13. lynn says:

MINDY <3 brilliant episode. cant believe have to wait til april :(

14. MindyCastallano says:

I love both shows, though I do admit that New Girl has lost it’s sparkle this season. Nick and Jess are a great couple with undeniable chemistry. The writers are fumbling what could be an epic tv romance by overthinking it and making their situations awkward and uncomfortable. Couples getting together does NOT have to be the kiss of death for a series, I’m sorry. Great writing can take it to new heights.

The movie theatre scene in New Girl was major “awwww” territory. I loved it. I also loved Schmidt and CeCe regaining a friendship. But that Danny & Mindy kiss at the end of The Mindy Project had me picking my jaw up off the floor and watching the replay a dozen times….AND downloading the entire episode on itunes. It was brilliant. I would LOVE to see more Danny & Mindy after hiatus. Again, an on screen couple is NOT the kiss of death if executed properly, maintaining high levels of humor and rom-com goodness. If all the supporting characters are strong and have great storylines, their romance can easily blend in and not make it “The Danny & Mindy Show”. Same goes for New Girl.

• S. says:

New Girl’s starting to correct itself. It lost a lot of ground over the mess of before with things like “The Box.” It’s gonna take awhile to win people back, but it’s a good effort the last couple of weeks. No idea what they’ll do with Mindy/Danny but I look forward to finding out. Whatever it is, gonna be all kinds of awkward being in the same building as Cliff. If Morgan and Peter knew what had happened on that plane, they’d lose their minds and chuck Cliff in 2 seconds.

• nikki says:

I.e. Monica and chandler on Friends

15. Parker says:

Am I the only one rooting for Mindy and Cliff?

• Carolyn says:

Aww, I like Cliff too. The sexting episode was the best.

• S. says:

Why? Glenn Howerton’s great and all but he’s temporary, plus he gets between Mindy and Danny. I get liking the actor and enjoying the chemistry for a little while, but he doesn’t really “get” her. Nor did Josh, Casey, or the Ben Feldman character who’s name I forgot. Danny likes Mindy for who she is, Bridget Jones/Mark Darcy style. Hopefully at some point Mindy won’t think those other guys are the best she can do. I’m guessing the Cliff apology letter Danny helped write is gonna backfire on him. Until then, let him keep kissing her like that. (Pardon the pun, the butt grab was a nice touch.)

• Jenni P says:

Thumbs up on the comparison of Danny & Mindy’s Relationship to Bridget Jones/Mark Darcy’s relationship.

I can totally see it!

16. Jay says:

Ok but if this was Mindy and Danny first kiss vs. Nick and Jess first kiss, Nick and Jess would OBVIOUSLY win…

17. simy says:

new girl was perfect, favourite ep of the season

18. SR says:

New Girl has really gotten itself into a good groove this month. Really sweet and funny episode last night, and they finally seem to be figuring out Coach. I rewound his “moist” scene a couple times because his delivery was so funny. lol

19. Lecholls says:

Nick and Jess– definitely more romantic. The whole movie theater thing was incredibly touching. Mindy and Danny’s kiss was a good payoff, though. I like Danny a lot.

20. Tee says:

I don’t know if it’s the writing, casting or both, but they have managed to give Mindy insane chemistry with whoever they are bouncing her off of. I’ve enjoyed every one of her relationships so far.

• sillyemmy says:

I completely agree with this. There were very few people she was with on the show that I felt – “get rid of them, she’s Danny’s.”

21. Wouter says:

Mindy ofcourse! That was one of the best kisses i’ve ever seen on television and the build-up was great.

22. Jack says:

Neither….Yawn
    Both of these shows have really gone down hill

• S. says:

See this is how trolling is done properly. Short, succinct. No need to be longwinded. That’s for the people who rant at you for paragraphs not knowing you’re a troll.

23. Jennifer says:

The Mindy Project is my favorite show on TV. It’s funny, sweet, outrageous, not-PC, and I have to rewatch each episode multiple times each week because there’s so much funny and so much going on that I miss some. The kiss between Danny and Mindy was great, but I’m dying to see how it’s handled because we all know it will be a hilarous mess and great fun!

New Girl has become unwatchable. It’s a nice break between Brooklyn 99 and Mindy to get stuff done!

24. Jill says:

I don’t want the Mind Project to go the way of New Girl…now that Nick & Jess are together, I think their chemistry has fizzled. But I think Cliff will make a huge romantic gesture & Mindy will choose him. I don’t want Mindy & Danny together yet, it’s too early

25. erin says:

We deleted the New Girl timer recently, it went from a show I absolutely had to watch immediately to the show I would leave on the PVR and maaaaaybe watch a week later. The Mindy Project quickly became one of my favorite shows, and last night’s episode was AMAHZING.

26. T says:

I couldn’t make it through the whole first season of New Girl before it left my DVR. I have kept Mindy on because I like almost everyone on it but Mindy and LOVE some of them like Morgan. I will have to say though that I did like the Danny kiss but more because I like him and want him to be happy. Mindy is one of those situations like Ugly Betty where I could not figure out how they keep on getting hot guys after hot guys. At least Betty had a good heart and was a good person so you could understand how they might be able to see her inner beauty. Mindy have to say I don’t get it at all.

• Soopah Soopah Soopah says:

How about because she’s funny, incredibly smart, always trys to go above and beyond, and is pretty damn sultry and attractive?

• tripoli says:

Well said. It’s tiring to constantly read comments that basically boil down to Mindy Kaling not being thin or attractive enough for the men her character dates. She is all of the things you listed and after years of TV revolving around chubby, average looking dudes, with thin, very attractive partners, it’s nice to see something different. Not every relationship is based on looks and there are plenty of real life Mindys dating super hot dudes.

• Soopah Soopah Soopah says:

I also left out fun, at-points-charming, emotionally invested in her friends, supportive. Of course she has her flaws, as all characters and people (vanity, sometimes-selfish, but aren’t we all?), but yea, that was pretty much saying she’s chubby, therefore not beautiful, which is completely ignorant.

27. Steven says:

Nick and Jess always!Their first kiss was one of the best I’ve ever seen on TV. I Love new girl so much

28. Soopah Soopah Soopah says:

Listen, I love Mindy and Danny. In fact, I prefer the Mindy Project to New Girl, but but but…That first Nick and Jess kiss was so amazing, I replayed it as well as showed it to people exclaiming “This is the greatest, most passionate kiss I have ever seen on TV.”

29. Nathalia says:

Someone already said it, but I totally agree. It’s unfair to compare both shows, because they are very different, and I know that even if I don’t watch New Girl. That said, I’m interested to know what will happen to Mindy and Danny and I have no doubts that if they don’t get together for good now, when it happens it will be good. We have to remember that Mindy helped to keep Jim and Pam an interesting couple even after they were together and I totally get that Mindy and Danny are COMPLETELY different (but the first kiss was kinda similar, don’t you think? I LOVED IT BTW and I’m still dying), but what I’m saying is that the writing of TMP is great, and I trust them. I also totally agree that Mindy has great chemistry with everybody. The only thing I miss in this show: her friends. I know they were not the best fit, but I miss the female interaction. That said, I NEED SEASON 3 ASAP!!!
    P.s.: someone mentioned brooklyn nine nine: i CAN’T wait for jake and amy to happen :)

30. Taylor says:

The Mindy Project has taken over as my favorite show. New Girl was great for the first two seasons, but this one has been kind of a dud. Schmidt cheating on Cece (and Elizabeth, who was also all kinds of awesome) and Nick being all over the place has brought it down. TMP has so many great lines going so fast it’s almost impossible to catch them all in one viewing. And I love how the characters have careers that they are good at and seem to enjoy, and are not lawyers/cops/ER docs. BUT..
    Jess and Nick’s first kiss was one of the hottest moments I’ve ever seen. Side by side comparison, it blows Danny and Mindy’s kiss out of the water. And to be honest, I’m not even sure I want Danny and Mindy together right now. Eventually, hell yes. But she JUST got dumped. I think Danny screwed up with the timing.

• Jennifer says:

You = me, exactly on all counts! I think that the entire show leading in to the Nick + Jess kiss last season was part of what made it so amazing!

31. Jenni P says:

I think that Mindy & Danny starting a serious relationship immediately after that kiss isn’t a realistic expectation, because I think Mindy’s going to freak out.

She’s not ready for the “true” right guy. I think she’ll be in denial and run back to Cliff. It would be a good way to draw out the “will they or won’t they” plot line.

Btw I liked the Bridget Jones/Mark Darcy comparison.

32. Guest says:

Zooey and Jake have a way better chemistry on screen than Mindy and Chris. I cringed during that kiss but almost totally lost it when Nick and Jess kissed for the first time. Best kiss in television history, in my opinion.

• jjovana3 says:

I always sensed sisterly-brotherly vibe between Mindy & Danny. I think the show was attempting to go Jess & Nick route, stir up chemistry and then kiss out of nowhere. Felt little contrived. They are just not a good match.

33. charlotte says:

Mindy Project was insane!! I really didn’t think it was going to happen so soon and it ws sooooo amazing!!! The chemistry between them is really palpable and I love how their friendship has grown over the past two seasons. It will be an absolute crime if it’s not renewed. Ugh, between Sleepy Hollow and Mindy, it’s going to be such a long wait!

34. jjovana3 says:

I like The Mindy Project better, but Nick and Jess first kiss and the whole dance afterwards was HOTTER than hell. (beer gurgling, jar opening, “i’ll walk you” etc)

If Danny and Mindy become a couple, it will ruin the show. The kiss was HOT tho. I squealed like a teenager.

35. Jennifer says:

I love both shows, and I thought this week’s episodes were both super sweet (omg – the coin thing that Nick mentioned in his birthday video?? SWOON!). First kiss is totally tied for me! Of course, Mindy + Danny was amazing, but the fact that the Cooler episode where Nick and Jess first kissed had such an awesome lead-in to build the tension really made for some amazing TV! <3 I'm excited to see how Nick and Jess continue to grow. I'm so glad they haven't pulled them apart. These last few episodes show how keeping a couple together can still be adorable and magical. :) However, I am super annoyed I have to wait until APRIL to see what's next on tap for Danny and Mindy. I'm already counting the days!!

36. Guest says:

You guys are insane!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mindy and Danny had a better first kiss?!!??! Omg that’s crazy there is no way! I think a lot of you need to re-watch Cooler. Even the set up for the kiss was 10000000x better!

37. Laura says:

I liked the Nick and Jess kiss better. I don’t watch The Mindy project.