Pilot News: Jesse L. Martin Joins The CW's Flash

Jesse L. Martin The Flash Pilot Cast The CWJesse L. Martin has signed on to bring law and order to The Flash.

Martin will play Det. West in the Arrow spin-off’s pilot based on the DC Comics hero, our sister site Deadline reports. Grant Gustin (Glee) stars in the CW project as its titular crimefighter, aka Central City forensics investigator Barry Allen.

RELATED | The CW Changes Plan for The Flash Pilot

West is described as a trustworthy father figure to Gustin’s Barry, who was introduced in Episode 8 of Arrow‘s current season.

David Nutter (The X-Files) will direct the pilot, which was written by DC Comics Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns and Arrow EPs Andrew Kreisberg and Greg Berlanti.

Martin played L&O‘s Det. Ed Green for nine years and had a role in Smash‘s second season.

1. enri says:

So cool! Yes!

2. Detective West? Surely he’ll be related to Wally West.

3. The hero will have a contact in the police department who will be the father of his girlfriend?? Haven’t seen that before. Way to think outside the box Arrow guys! Oh wait, you changed their race, that’s new. Thumbs up!

4. Joey says:

Good casting for role. I can’t wait to read who else they’ll cast for the show.

5. JC says:

Cool. Can’t wait to see who they cast as Iris. My vote is the actress that plays Astrid on The Tomorrow People (since it looks like that show may not make it anyway).

6. samantha says:

How the hell do you mention Martin’s past credits/things he’s known for and leave out RENT? Serious fail…

• Benn says:

Ehh, it’s not a fail. A TV news website naming his TV credits is, by far, more important to people seeking out TV news than his Broadway cred.

• EspoLady says:

He was also int he movie version though… TVLine cites movie roles all the time, and RENT was really big thing for a good, long, while.

7. Jared says:

Can’t wait for The Flash pilot!

8. Stormy says:

Love him, wish he was going to be on something I’d watch. Sigh.

9. DenverDean says:

Despite the type casting, JLM is awesome. Great addition!

10. Mikaylah says:

This is so exciting! I can’t wait to watch the show!

11. Ella says:

I want Barry back on Arrow with Felicity!

• Nicole says:

Hee, me too. I love Olicity, but I actually adored Barry and Felicity too. Alas, DC canon says it’s not meant to be.

12. Jackson says:

Ugh, this is the rare situation wherein any displeasure I have about this character/casting choice will come off as mildly racist. JLM is a fine actor, and one that I’d be glad to watch on this show. That said, casting him Detective West does irk me slightly, because it seems that rather than introduce a new African American character into the mythos like they did with Diggle on Arrow (who by the way has been brought into the new 52-verse since his creation) they chose to simply race swap a famous DC family.

Laurence Fishburn as Perry White didn’t really bother me and Idirs Elba as Heimdall was actualy a good choice given the actors’ vocal range and acting talent. In concept I don’t have a problem with race swaping for live action when it gives us a richer experiance like Micheal Clark Duncan as Kingpin Elba as Heimdall nor do I have a problem with adding diversity to the predominantly Caucasian backdrop that is comic books. God knows we need a bit more diversity, but I don’t want Bruce Wayne (Batman) or Jim Gordon becoming African American just to appeal to broader audience when you can just give me Luke Fox (Batwing).

Now my fears could be waylayed if they introduce Detective West as the adopted son of the West family and adopted uncle to Iris West (Barry’s primary love interest) but given what I’ve been hearing It’s seems likely we will get an Afican American Iris who grew up as a foster sister to Barry unaware of his feelings for her. So that’s a psudo incestuous and interacial romance to look forward to…

I gave Arrow the benefit of the doubt with Thea being called speedy, Moira being Alive, Amell’s wooden acting and I was pleasently supprised. Other than Shado being chinese rather than Japanese and a few story telling issues, I’ve got no issues with Arrow and It’s become one of my favourite shows. Grant Gustin’s an ok, Barry Allen and JLM is a good actor but this shows really going to have to be outstanding to have me tune in every week

• EspoLady says:

I think it might be called out as mildly racist because of the this part:
      “but I don’t want Bruce Wayne (Batman) or Jim Gordon becoming African American just to appeal to broader audience…”
      Why? If Batman was portrayed as a black man or a Chinese man, or a blonde, or redhead…what about that makes you uncomfortable?

There have been so many instances where characters are so off from what the stories they came from initially described them as. Short people being tall, blondes becoming brunettes, green eyes changed for brown… we adjust our pov and take them as an alternate version of the character. We even have instances where the characteristics are no longer the same… bubbly and sweet can be changed to feisty and dominant, calm and collected to dark and brooding. That to me would be the bigger issue.
      Race swapping happens all the time, and in a lot of those cases it’s people who are suggested to be people of color, ending up otherwise.

If the character still acts like the character I know and love, then that’s what I’m looking for. A Black Bruce Wayne? An Indian Flash? We already have a white Khan for Star Trek…
      If you capture the essence of the character then I’m happy. I’ll just see them as an alternate version of someone who may prove interesting to watch.
      Let’s judge based on how well the actor brings the character to life – not how much he looks like out traditional idea of them.

Sidenote: JLM is superb! I’m thrilled. He’s underrated, super talented, and always brings his A game. Also very easy on the eyes. :)

• taos says:

Yes, I agree. As long as the actor can capture the essence of the character and believable portray them, then the color of their skin shouldn’t be an issue. It should be the best actor, not the one who best resembles the character.

On the flip side, some people just don’t like it when you mess with the iconic appearance of a character. I had trouble accepting the fact they were going to cast Iris West as a black woman. Not for race reasons. To me, Iris West has always been a green-eyed, redheaded Caucasian. That’s what I’m used to seeing. Her visual appearance hasn’t changed much since her introduction back in the 50s. Making her a black woman is a considerable change. Some people are just going to need an adjustment period.

13. FlashFan says:

I love the casting choices so far. I think that the perfect one for Iris West is Gina Jones. She is an actress/model from London in the UK.