Days of Our Lives' Alison Sweeney Leaving Soap

Alison Sweeney Days of Our Lives LeavingSee ya, Sami.

Days of Our Lives vet Alison Sweeney, who has played Sami Brady on the NBC soap for 21 years, is leaving the sudser this year.

RELATED | TVLine Items: ATWT Alum Joins Days of Our Lives

Sweeney announced her departure during a taping of The Ellen DeGeneres Show; the episode will air Tuesday, EW.com reports.

“I have worked so much, and my daughter just turned 5 and my son is 9, and I just want to be with them,” Sweeney tells DeGeneres during the interview.

No word yet on whether the actress, who has played Roman and Marlena’s daughter since 1993, will continue her hosting gig on primetime’s The Biggest Loser.

1. Jessica says:

Aww that sucks. Love her on days!

• Lincoln says:

Me too! You know, I’m so shocked that she’s been on Days for so long. She’s such a great actress. Between her and Sarah Brown, I have no idea why they aren’t on a hit primetime show. They’re both such terrific daytime actors and they’d make a killing working on primetime. They’d also have more screentime and therefore so much more to do. I want to see more of them!

• Shazay says:

Sami IS Days. She’s been the one constant for 21 years, except for that one time she was off canvas and had disappeared to Seattle while pregnant with Will and then when she was played by that guy for a bit when Sami was incognito, I think she was on maternity leave or something.
      Ugh, I am going to miss her, but I’m sure she’ll come back like Kim and those other nice surprises that show up here and there.
      I also hope that they give her an open ended farewell. Killing her off would be so dumb, so I’m hoping Lucas comes back for a bit and helps usher her off the show. They were a decent couple.
      Who will replace her presence on the show? They need Carrie back or someone that we can be interested in. I don’t give a flying fig about Abbie…..They need someone with the last name Horton or Brady to bring it all in. Maybe Cassie could come back and replace Sami as the female Brady vixen. I always wanted more from her, but she was a flash in the pan.

• Claudia says:

Sami, NOOOOOOO! I don’t even watch Days anymore and this has left me so sad! lol My best tweenage days were spent watching Sami manipulate Carrie, Austin, and Mike. Good times.

• JeanE says:

I’m actually not that surprised…you have to work so hard and so much when you’re as front burner as she is, her kids are young and she’s branching out successfully in other things. She’s a great actress but as an ardent Days fan, I don’t love the Sami character. I think EJ and Abigail have smokin’ hot chemistry, and hope that explore that further. Good luck to you, Allison, thanks for all of the wonderful years you’ve given Days fans!!

• lynn says:

i dont agree. abbie and ej have no chemistry. it seems awkward and uncomfortable. i have been watching since i was 12, i am 46. sami is great. alison has done a great job with her character. this is just so very sad news

• colleen says:

I also have been watching since teen years.love sami and ej together! Do not like the abigail fiasco! Sami deserves a final happy ending as ej’s wife.

• Wendy says:

EJ taped his last episode just lately and will only run through the fall.

2. wrstlgirl says:

Sorry to see her go, it will be difficult for them to recast. Hope Brady disappeared off the canvas for years and then returned. Maybe go that route instead rather than have multiple failed attempts. She may want to come back if the soap is still around.

3. Tran 2.0 says:

Can’t believe that Alison Sweeney has been on DAYS for 21 years but I’m sad to see her go. Her character Sami Brady is one of the best and can be so deceiving at times. She told her on Ellen that Sami could end up as sort of a Breaking Bad like ending.

4. Lori says:

ITA I guess they are going with Abigail and E.J. for now.

• wrstlgirl says:

She said this was going to be her last year and Days tapes 3 months in advance so Sami’s gonna be around for awhile.

• DenverDean says:

Try almost 4 months in advance. That’s one of the things that hinders DAYS because it’s difficult to make storyline adjustments if something isn’t working (or if something is a hit with audience), long catch-up time. However, it’s the only way the budget will work. Can’t really blame AS for her motivation. It’s too bad NBC/Sony couldn’t come up with some type of taping (or reduced) schedule for her. It’s the same reason Eileen Davidson (ex-Kristen) chose to leave.

• Wendy says:

EJ will be off the show after the fall, he taped his last episode not long ago.

5. bobbi6484 says:

Am going to miss her a great deal. There’s nobody like Sami!

6. Cindy says:

Good for her!!! She’s worked so hard for the past 21 years, she needs a break and what better way to spend it with her kids, hubby and family :) I’ll miss her greatly on Days, and there is NO ONE who could replace what she brings to the show, but I admire her for taking this leap…one awesome chick!!!! Best wishes Alison!!!!!

7. Ann says:

I will miss Alison Sweeney on “Days”, but I’m glad she’s leaving because she wants to leave, and she isn’t being let go. Best wishes, Alison! Have fun spending time with your family!

8. Adam says:

I am going to miss her so much the show won’t be the same with her gone and I really hope they don’t recast because honestly she played Sami so well over the years so I can;t really picture someone else in that famous role.

9. alistaircrane says:

Good. I am glad. The show has been consumed by Sami in recent years. I only enjoyed Sami from 1993-97 when she was a hardcore evil villainess. With Sami leaving, hopefully they will bring back Carrie (and Austin, of course) to fill the Brady granddaughter void.

10. Jessica says:

I don’t think they could recast Sami. 21 years is too l

11. Andrew Hass says:

I’ll miss Allison Sweeney on DOOL but i respect her decision to leave.However her contract doesn’t expire until December and unless the show lets her go early we’ll be seeing onscreen for another year or so.Plus she could always change her mind if the show offers her something that gives her more time with her family.Plus if the show doesn’t recast Ali could always reprise Sami after a few months being gone.

• sara says:

She told Ellen she would be on Days the rest of this year, which is great, but I am gonna miss her when she’s gone. Hope your right and they don’t recast her, or even if they do, that she’s open to maybe popping back up in a few years even just every now and then!

• alistaircrane says:

We need a good, long break from Sami (and the actress). For too long now the show has revolved around her.

12. Jillian says:

I am sad to see her go, but she deserves the break. I just hope she stays on Biggest Loser for many years to come. By far my favorite television host.

13. Bon bon says:

I understand completely why she wants to go and respect it greatly! (To be with her family more) But I don’t know if Days will survive without SAMI (Allison Sweeney)!!! To me she is what held Days together for so long after so many of the main characters left the show ! Even though some has come and gone she has remain constant on there!! I actually have loved what they’ve done with her character over the years. And especially was loving that finally her and EJ was doing pretty good! Was hoping there love would remain crazy but together to make for some fun crazy stories!! I will miss her! and also I don’t believe that EJ and Abbie should have ever been paired together ever. They just don’t have the right chemistry to pull off this affair thing!! She could NEVER replace Sami!!! Just crazy!
    Love you Allison!

14. april-ann says:

Typical modern age Supermom. Just when the youngest goes off to school, and the kids are at an age where it has become easier in that the level of care they require is drastically reduced, Supermom decides she “just wants to be with them”.

• Samantha says:

It does seem to play out that way with other actors too doesn’t it? I stay at home with little ones and my husband talks about me going back to work when the youngest turns 5. I say “Are you kidding?! That’s when I get a little break!”

• april-ann says:

Yes it does. And when the time comes please put your feet up, Samantha (for the first time in at least five years) and enjoy the first cup of ~hot~ coffee you’ve been able to drink in at least five years (in one sitting) – you’ve earned it!

15. Becky Laumand says:

So without Sami EJ will have to fill the void! And he will need a new beautiful woman that we all love even when she is bad. Carrie with Austin could never fill her shoes. Sorry but that is my opinion.

16. Tanya says:

Wow ! I love days and loved Sami (A.S.) …she’s the main character the show revolves around… I’m wondering if days will be off air shortly after her departure as well as I have heard rumors for a year or two that it wouldn’t last much longer since the main viewing audience was shrinking. I didn’t think there was any merit to it but maybe so. Its I guess a remote possibility anyway. I can honestly say though once she’s gone I doubt I’ll watch every day anymore. I hope things change before then though.

17. Phil says:

Lucas is NOT temporary, and has a storyline coming up with the new girl Cheryl. I will miss Sweeny, but given the right actress, I think DAYS should recast the role. As for those who think the show will end without her, they said the same about Diedre Hall and well, it lasted long enough for her to come back. Many also said GL would end when Kim Zimmer left in the late 80s, but not only did it survive, but it got better creatively and was on for many years… Long enough for Zimmer to return. I will watch this show as long as Ari Zucker is on the show! Zucker is by far the best on the show! Though, the writing has been top notch lately that even her exit might not chase me away. Thankfully, we won’t have to find that out!

18. mazie says:

They shouls replace her part and have EJ and Sami finally get married- the writters have been pushing this for a while and we want them to finally have a happy ending!!!

19. Judy says:

EJ will need a beautiful woman and not the child, Abigail! I personally wish they could recast her if they could find an actress a lot like her! It would be nice to have Carrie and Austin back. I even liked the second Austin Days cast as him. If the show goes with EJ and Abigail, I will quit watching it. I am sorry, but I have watched it since it’s beginning and it ias not as good as it used to be! I say recast her with an actress that act and look a lot like Allison Sweeney.

• Judy says:

The show must recast her or they will lose a lot of viewers, esp. me and most of my friends! Let Abigail find a young guy and get over EJ or letr EJ and Sami go on a honeymoon!!! Bring him back with a new Sami but please no skinny one like the show did when they replaced Nicole’s sister!!! She has to be so much like Sami!!!

20. debra smith says:

I’ve watched Days since I was 17. I’m 56 now. Well, except for the years when life got in the way. I worked most my life and I recorded it when I could but raised 2 girls on my own….. I’ll definitely miss Sami ! She’s been just about all the excitement and drama and everything else that exists in soaps that hold our attention. She can do it all. There’s been soooo many other characters that have left the show that have really disappointed me as well like Bo. They’ve apparently kept his character alive elsewhere, just in case maybe. I hope they do that with Sami…. Maybe have her and Lucas get back together being as E.J. can’t behave, AGAIN, and move out of town for another job. Then Lucas can still do his appearances here and there as he’s doing now just coming back to town. I miss Shawn and Belle too, they could being them back with different characters. I’m not happy with the New Will. I can’t see getting used to him, he’s too high school looking or something, I don’t know.

21. Karen says:

I will miss Semi cause she is a crazy character but sometimes I can really relate to her. I do think she should run off into the sunset with Rafe her and him were hot together and they truly cared for each other. Yes she might have kids with ei but all them to was ever really good at was sleeping together and that’s it. Ej needs a new woman and I think him and Abby are hot together I think they have chemistry.

22. lIZ says:

Oh no!!! I love Days of Our Lives and it will not be the same with out Alison as Sami. She is my favorite character!!!! Alison will be sorely missed!

23. Dee Caputo says:

Please don’t do this !!! The show will never be the same. I am also having a difficult time handling no BO PLEASW STAY !!!!!

24. nanarina says:

I remember when she first appeared and still watch every so often…and see Sami… she was always into something on the show. Loved her on it.

25. Bill says:

Please talk her into staying she is great for the show…

26. Andie says:

I was very sad to hear that Alison Sweeney is leaving Days. She is a terrific actress and it was fun to watch her character grow up and mature from a precocious teen, to a scheming/lying villain, to a gorgeous successful business woman and mother who has been through so much w/ men. I really hope the writers decide to bring back Sami She is by far one of the most intriguing and dynamic characters. I watched Days w/ my grandmother since the 80s I remember when Marlena had Sami and Eric and when Sami returned in early 90s 8 years older than she was originally intended to be. Funny Sami’s man EJ “Elvis” was born on Days in 1997ish and part of a nefarious scheme w/ Kristen trying to pass him off as hers and John Black’s baby LOL but he returned aged about 20 years! He should be JJ Deveraux’s age. Speaking of the Deveraux’s EJ and Abbie’s affair made me nauseous as does her impending pregnancy. I really hope they don’t end up together if Sami is killed or written off the show. I can’t wait to see what Sami does to Abby once she finds out, it will be more epic than the Sami-Nicole cat fights!

27. RICK MIOLINI says:

THIS IS TO ALISON SWEENEY YOU DO NOT KNOW ME MY NAME IS RICK MIOLINI AND LET YOU KNOW I AM YOUR DIE HEART FAN ON DAYS OF OUR LIVES AND I WILL MISS YOU AND I WILL AND SAMI OF THAT IS OK BY YOU TO CALL YOU ALISSON OR SAMI AND I THANK FOR ME I WILL CALL YOU SAMI OF THAT IS OK BY YOU AND OF YOU NEED A FRIEND LET ME KNOW I AM HERE FOR YOU AND LET YOU KNOW I DO CARE ABOUT YOU AS A FAN AND A PERSON AND I MEAN THAT AND I DO CARE A LOT OF YOU LET LEE AND LET YOU KNOW I GOT HOTS ABOUT YOU AND I LIKE TO MEET YOU IN PERSON AND I WANT A NICE LADY IN MY LIFE AND I WANT YOU AND BECAUSE I WILL MISS YOU TO MUSH AND LET YOU KNOW OF YOU LEAVE I AM NOT WATCHING DAYS OF OUR LIVES AT ARE AND I LIKE TO SAY THIS DO YOU AS A FAN AND A PERSON AND I WANT TO SAY THIS DO YOU AND THAT IS THIS I LOVE YOU THANK YOU AND TAKE CARE

28. Scherrie says:

Shucks fire and a bullfrog! They are only my favorite couple. The only reason I watch…True they have some unhealthy love down right H I larious at times glad its fake but yet entertaining. Oh well guess I’ll find a new show for dvr. SHAZZAM!

29. Will you ever come back to Days in the late future. You will be missed lots you are my favorite person on Days. I hope you come back one day. Good luck to you.

30. f herskovitz says:

it is time togo this acting not doing it over the top she is better than this

31. Carol says:

Please keep that door open Allison and NBC. We love her!