Ratings: NFL Boosts The Following to Series Highs, Revenge and Betrayal Finale Tie Lows

Ratings The Following Season 2 PremiereFox’s The Following on Sunday night returned to 11.2 million total viewers and a 4.4 demo rating — both all-time highs.

That marks a gain of 8 and 38 percent from its freshman premiere and a sharp improvement over its April finale (7.8 mil/2.7), both of which of course aired on Mondays, with no NFL lead-in.

RELATED | The Following Premiere Recap — Plus: Double Talk from a New Cast Member

Per fast nationals subject to uptick, Fox’s coverage of the NFC championship averaged around 45 million viewers and a 15 rating.

The Following will replay its premiere on Monday, Jan 27 at 8/8c, leading into its regular time slot debut.

RELATED | Revenge Winter Finale Recap: The Ex Files

Over on ABC, the latest Bachelor clip show thingamabob did 3.9 mil and a 0.9, up in audience but down a tenth in the demo versus last Sunday. Revenge‘s winter finale (5.3 mil/1.3) slipped 7 and 19 percent, while Betrayal‘s finale (3.4 mil/0.7) added audience but ticked down a tenth in the demo — with both shows tying series lows.

1. Jacqi says:

I really liked the Betrayal finale! I am hoping it doesnt get canceled, but if it does I like that we can pick who she went to dinner with (Jack!!!). Revenge was also excellent!

• Amanda says:

I liked Betrayal, but I’m perfectly fine if it doesn’t get renewed. I feel like it was better as a miniseries.

• wrstlgirl says:

My imagination took me as her not with either Jack or Drew to either she is divorced and dating or moved to DC with hubby and is having another affair :-) Either way though I’m pretty sure the show is toast. The finale came across to me as and end and I’m thinking they may have filmed a different ending knowing they weren’t coming back. The loose ends where just tied up a little to tight.

• Cj Maxon says:

Although I would have liked it to be Jack, the finale left me with Jack moving on and Sara deciding to save her marriage. She was always “natural” with Jack and she was really “gussied” up at the end. Leading me to believe that it was Drew.

• Mary Ross says:

I really really hope Betrayal will be back on. I wasn’t sure what took place at the restaurant when Sara had ordered 2 glasses of wine. For whom! Drew or Jack! I feel this series definitely should continue. I couldn’t wait until Sunday evening just to view it.

2. Kevin H. says:

Ugh, why did Revenge slip so much– football? It was doing better the first week back in January.

3. Amanda says:

This is exactly why Fox started The Following 15 min early.

• Et al says:

Exactly. This allowed them to get a lot of press for the massive artificial ratings. However, if you look at the half hour drop off, it’s insane (6.7 to 3.6). Unfortunately, they screwed many of the show’s real fans in the process.

• Mikael says:

My DVR cut off the beginning of the episode, so I missed everything until the end of the subway scene. I’m glad they’re replaying it next week. I needed a recap too because I had forgotten some things.

4. Boiler says:

This is worthless with football!!

5. Morganic says:

PBS? I’m really curious about Sherlock numbers.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Such a thing would be reported under separate cover, if and when data becomes available via our gastral spectrometer.

6. wrstlgirl says:

I know a lot of people are happy to see Revenge slip back into the groove of s1 but for me I’m just not happy with where this story seems to be going. Loved the tit for tat between Emily and Daniel but now she’s going to start working with Conrad. Eh. And I’m really getting tired of Victoria. It’s just the same ol’ same ol’ with her every week.

• Mary says:

I loved Season 1 and was bored by Season 2. Season 3 I haven’t even bothered to watch, I just read the occasional recap and it doesn’t sound like I’m missing much.

7. B says:

Thank God. I always forget about the power of football. I’d like The Following to have at least three seasons, so I hope the numbers hold pretty well.

8. Mandy says:

I’m on board with those who are fine with Betrayal being cancelled. I enjoyed the season finale immensely (and liked the show itself) but it was always supposed to be a mini-series and it’s better that way. Will I watch if it gets renewed? Hell, yes. If not, well, I enjoyed the ride. Either way, I’m good. And the open finale is perfect: reminded me of the opening credits in the movie “Before sunset” where the author says that the way you see the end of the book defines who you are.

As for Revenge, well, I like that they are going back to the routes but I enjoyed the previous episode much more. It felt more like mid-season finale than the actual one we got this week. Still it was great. Although, Victoria does need to stop being a whiny little girl. It’s getting old.

9. Phil says:

Revenge has been awesome! Notice how it had a higher rating than the other shows on ABC this night still! I am confident it will increase when it returns from the winter break!

10. acurat says:

Totally stopped watching Revenge. It is tired. With the midseason finale I bid it farewell. Heard now they are using amnesia to keep the series going. So perhaps Phil is right, but I will not be watching anymore.

• jerry says:

That is absolutely not true. The amnesia *SPOILER ALERT* lasted only one episode and the last 3 episodes I think are each better than the first 10 episodes in the season. The lines are drawn, and now the game has changed.