Ratings: NFL Boosts The Following to Series Highs, Revenge and Betrayal Finale Tie Lows

Get More: Finales, News, Premieres, Ratings

Ratings The Following Season 2 PremiereFox’s The Following on Sunday night returned to 11.2 million total viewers and a 4.4 demo rating — both all-time highs.

That marks a gain of 8 and 38 percent from its freshman premiere and a sharp improvement over its April finale (7.8 mil/2.7), both of which of course aired on Mondays, with no NFL lead-in.

RELATED | The Following Premiere Recap — Plus: Double Talk from a New Cast Member

Per fast nationals subject to uptick, Fox’s coverage of the NFC championship averaged around 45 million viewers and a 15 rating.

The Following will replay its premiere on Monday, Jan 27 at 8/8c, leading into its regular time slot debut.

RELATED | Revenge Winter Finale Recap: The Ex Files

Over on ABC, the latest Bachelor clip show thingamabob did 3.9 mil and a 0.9, up in audience but down a tenth in the demo versus last Sunday. Revenge‘s winter finale (5.3 mil/1.3) slipped 7 and 19 percent, while Betrayal‘s finale (3.4 mil/0.7) added audience but ticked down a tenth in the demo — with both shows tying series lows.

Comments (21)

• I really liked the Betrayal finale! I am hoping it doesnt get canceled, but if it does I like that we can pick who she went to dinner with (Jack!!!). Revenge was also excellent!

Comment by Jacqi – January 20, 2014 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I liked Betrayal, but I’m perfectly fine if it doesn’t get renewed. I feel like it was better as a miniseries.

Comment by Amanda – January 20, 2014 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My imagination took me as her not with either Jack or Drew to either she is divorced and dating or moved to DC with hubby and is having another affair :-) Either way though I’m pretty sure the show is toast. The finale came across to me as and end and I’m thinking they may have filmed a different ending knowing they weren’t coming back. The loose ends where just tied up a little to tight.

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 20, 2014 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Although I would have liked it to be Jack, the finale left me with Jack moving on and Sara deciding to save her marriage. She was always “natural” with Jack and she was really “gussied” up at the end. Leading me to believe that it was Drew.

Comment by Cj Maxon – January 21, 2014 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I really really hope Betrayal will be back on. I wasn’t sure what took place at the restaurant when Sara had ordered 2 glasses of wine. For whom! Drew or Jack! I feel this series definitely should continue. I couldn’t wait until Sunday evening just to view it.

Comment by Mary Ross – February 2, 2014 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh, why did Revenge slip so much– football? It was doing better the first week back in January.

Comment by Kevin H. – January 20, 2014 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • At least on the West Coast the NFC Championship was over by 7 pm

Comment by Mary – January 20, 2014 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is exactly why Fox started The Following 15 min early.

Comment by Amanda – January 20, 2014 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. This allowed them to get a lot of press for the massive artificial ratings. However, if you look at the half hour drop off, it’s insane (6.7 to 3.6). Unfortunately, they screwed many of the show’s real fans in the process.

Comment by Et al – January 20, 2014 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • relax — you can catch anything you missed ON DEMAND or wait for the repeat next Monday at 8.

Comment by GuessWhat – January 20, 2014 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My DVR cut off the beginning of the episode, so I missed everything until the end of the subway scene. I’m glad they’re replaying it next week. I needed a recap too because I had forgotten some things.

Comment by Mikael – January 21, 2014 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is worthless with football!!

Comment by Boiler – January 20, 2014 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PBS? I’m really curious about Sherlock numbers.

Comment by Morganic – January 20, 2014 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Such a thing would be reported under separate cover, if and when data becomes available via our gastral spectrometer.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – January 20, 2014 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know a lot of people are happy to see Revenge slip back into the groove of s1 but for me I’m just not happy with where this story seems to be going. Loved the tit for tat between Emily and Daniel but now she’s going to start working with Conrad. Eh. And I’m really getting tired of Victoria. It’s just the same ol’ same ol’ with her every week.

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 20, 2014 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved Season 1 and was bored by Season 2. Season 3 I haven’t even bothered to watch, I just read the occasional recap and it doesn’t sound like I’m missing much.

Comment by Mary – January 20, 2014 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank God. I always forget about the power of football. I’d like The Following to have at least three seasons, so I hope the numbers hold pretty well.

Comment by B – January 20, 2014 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m on board with those who are fine with Betrayal being cancelled. I enjoyed the season finale immensely (and liked the show itself) but it was always supposed to be a mini-series and it’s better that way. Will I watch if it gets renewed? Hell, yes. If not, well, I enjoyed the ride. Either way, I’m good. And the open finale is perfect: reminded me of the opening credits in the movie “Before sunset” where the author says that the way you see the end of the book defines who you are.

As for Revenge, well, I like that they are going back to the routes but I enjoyed the previous episode much more. It felt more like mid-season finale than the actual one we got this week. Still it was great. Although, Victoria does need to stop being a whiny little girl. It’s getting old.

Comment by Mandy – January 20, 2014 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Revenge has been awesome! Notice how it had a higher rating than the other shows on ABC this night still! I am confident it will increase when it returns from the winter break!

Comment by Phil – January 20, 2014 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally stopped watching Revenge. It is tired. With the midseason finale I bid it farewell. Heard now they are using amnesia to keep the series going. So perhaps Phil is right, but I will not be watching anymore.

Comment by acurat – January 21, 2014 06:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is absolutely not true. The amnesia *SPOILER ALERT* lasted only one episode and the last 3 episodes I think are each better than the first 10 episodes in the season. The lines are drawn, and now the game has changed.

Comment by jerry – January 21, 2014 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post