How I Met Your Mother Recap: Barney's [Spoiler] Revealed! -- Plus, Ted's Kids Get Namechecked

How I Met Your Mother Ted's KidsCBS’ How I Met Your Mother on Monday answered not one, but two mysteries on our burning questions list, with the reveal of Barney’s job and the names of Ted’s daughter and son.

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Season 9 Spoilers — Rachel Bilson, Sarah Chalke, Lucy Hale to Return

The latter kicks off with a flash forward to the Farhampton Inn in 2017, where Ted and The Mother are enjoying one last weekend away before the arrival of their second child. (Anyone else getting the feeling that the couple spends every other weekend at the Inn?) Unfortunately, the trip is interrupted when The Mother starts going into labor in the middle of the night. As they rush to the car, Ted carries their daughter and remarks how proud both he and Penny are of mommy. Meanwhile, Ted’s voiceover reminds us of the golden rule that nothing good ever comes after 2 am – but baby Luke is the exception. So Ted doesn’t get the complete Luke and Leia set, but it’s close.

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Series Finale Spoilers

As for the other big mystery: A truth serum-drunk Barney finally spills about what he does for a living. At first, he just replies to Robin and Ted’s probing like he always does with, “Please.” Robin’s ready to give up, but Ted pokes further until Barney reveals that he went to the guy who stole his girlfriend for a job so he could learn how to be awesome.

That’s when he began to PLEASE: Provide Legal Exculpation And Sign Everything. All this time, Barney’s been signing sketchy documents that could implicate him. But before Ted and Robin can become too concerned that their friend may end up in jail, he opens up about his master plan to get revenge on the man who stole his girlfriend. As it turns out, Barney’s been colluding with the feds, and in just two months, they’ll cuff the boss.

The game of truth also gets the soon-to-be married man to share his true feelings about his bride. Just when it seems like Barney is going to freak out after Ted asks how he’s doing, the former bachelor relies, “I’m a little nervous. But I love Robin more than I’ve ever loved anyone, and I’m going to do everything I can to make her happy. For a long time, deep down, I felt sort of broken. But I don’t feel that way anymore.” Aww.

HIMYM fans, what did you think of the big reveals? Did they live up to your expectations? And Lily totally got into The Mother’s car after that big fight with Marshall, right?

1. Lynn says:

My headcanon is that Penny’s middle name is Leia since The Mother wouldn’t go for it as a first name.

2. Joe says:

loved every last second of it

3. Tom Charles says:

WHAT IF THE GIRL WITH THE YELLOW UMBRELLA’S NAME IS LEIA!

4. hello says:

Loved it, perfect episode. The Marshall/Lilly stuff got heavy though

• Patrick says:

It did get heavy, but I am glad. Lily is one of the most selfish characters on TV. She loves her friends, and will do anything to help them, but she wants everything on her terms. She has manipulated them all to suit her own aims, regardless of what they want.

I am glad she is getting called on it.

• neha says:

Yeah, and Marshall IS right. Marshall went to undergraduate, law school, and has been working for the past ~7 years for his dream. Lily just happened to get lucky that someone noticed her “talent”. Marshall made a really stupid snap decision, but for her to say “we are GOING to Italy” is a 1000x more selfish.

• Melanie says:

Well, Marshall’s dream was something you can “simply” work hard to get results, while the arts are more complicated to get noticed. It’s not about how much time you put in it or classes you take- and the networking, etc. I know it’s not simple but a lot of work, just making the points they both want something you don’t get the same way. In that sense, it’s hard to compare who has done the most. I agree Lilly shouldn’t have gone with selfishness- but she’s right that what happened was 7 years ago and, you can’t simply put that back when it works for you. Or you accept what happened and you moved on living with it- or you don’t. You just can’t be in a relationship and bringing past mistakes all over again.

• Mika02 says:

Yeah but Marshall never really called her on it Ted did in the your a B**** epi. So wrong or right Marshall has a good point.

• Alex says:

But I think the point was that Lily said Marshall did something more selfish than she’s ever done. So he wasn’t just dragging things out from the past for the heck of it; she opened up that can of worms by saying “ever.” So Marshall was just making the point that no, this is not more selfish than anything you’ve *ever* done, you went to San Francisco.

• Pumpkinhead says:

No it isn’t! Marshall and Lily PLANNED to go to Italy. Marshall ENCOURAGED her to take the job and for them to move to Italy. They WERE going to Italy. Then suddenly, Marshall gets a conflicting job offer, DOESN’T tell Lily about it, and acts like they should stay because…. Because. How is that fair? Someone throws a wrench into your imminent plans (I think they were gonna leave a week or so after the wedding, right?) and you’re ‘selfish’ for trying to stick to them? Come on, now. And either way, this is just her argument. Marshall digging up the past and screwing Lily’s emotions over by calling her out on something they should have been over with a long time ago was just selfish. I hadn’t been so angry with his character since he called ‘Sl*t’ on Robin.

• B says:

I agree. I still love Lily, but when she said she had never done anything selfish, it pissed me off. It was a little harsh for Marshall to bring it up after all that time, but I don’t think he would have done so I’d she hadn’t said that. Even aside from the whole San Francisco bit, he took and stayed in a job he hated because of her. Not that it wasn’t his choice, but it was an unselfish one.

• Ella says:

Oh thank god, I thought I was the only one who thought this! She really is selfish and manipulative and if they aren’t going to have Marshall leave her, I’m glad he at least called her on it.

5. Brooke says:

Marshall was a d*ck

• Stacie says:

Yea. But he made an interesting point about Lily. One that he has held for years and years and years. So it’s something he has felt inside. I am glad he is at least saying it. He shouldn’t have taken the job without discussing it with her, and it’s not great that he brought something from 7 or 8 year ago up, but he at least got it off his chest.

• Will Benson says:

That felt VERY real. As anyone who’s been in a long term relationship can tell you…there are ALWAYS things you ‘get over’ without realizing you didn’t. Then you bring them up during a fight…and it surprises maybe even you. You realize you didn’t get over it like you thought. That was one of the most REAL and poignant moments I think in their entire relationship we’ve seen.

• Patrick says:

That is a great point, and one I hadn’t even thought about until I saw your post. Lily and Marshall have maybe the most amazing relationships on TV. The sex is still great, they support each other unconditionally, and they get along all the time. They don’t have fights, they have disagreements which they quickly get over.

It is nice to see a little reality creep into their relationship.

• steven says:

We already saw his d*ck in Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

• E says:

Lily was the one who said to Marshall, quote “you were more selfish than I have ever been to you”. Remember when Lily left him before their wedding to go to San Francisco for some art program she could have found easily in New York, couldn’t promise him that she’d come back to him.Broke up Ted’s relationships for her own gains, put Ted’s job on the line when she stole his boss’s baseball, in fact has a habit of stealing things (although minor), pushed herself into a whole lot of debt that affected both her and Marshall and pushed him away from his dream job, then later complained he wasn’t the guy she fell in love with, and many more. Sure Marshall’s the dick
      They both have a lot to talk about and there clearly is a lapse in communication, at least Marshall wanted to talk about it while Lily refused to hear it, repeating nothing but “WE ARE GOING TO ITALY”. Communication=denied

6. D says:

Sooo awesome!

7. JBS says:

Best episode of season 9 for me so far. It was great in so many ways.

8. Tabitha says:

This was my favorite episode of the season thus far, but seriously… are Barney and Robin EVER going to get married? I wish they would stop dragging this out.

9. Betsy says:

Oooh I like the idea that it was the Mother driving the car. I just assumed it was ranjit.

Marshall should not have taken the job without discussing but I am with the commenter who pointed out Marshall had to take the job at GNB to pay off lily’s credit card debt instead of the environ job he wanted. It’s his turn.

• Jake says:

I assume that could be Mickey driving the car either, i mean it makes sense to me

• jenna says:

I had forgotten about the credit card debt/environmental firm job, they both said things that were out of line: marshall asking if he was a consolidation prize, lily saying she has never been selfish..ironic coming from someone who purposely sabotaged ted’s relationships for her own benefit!

• Goodbye Universe Guy says:

This ^ . Good catch on the impact Lily had on ‘porch testing’ of Ted’s relationships – I’m still trying to figure out her motivation. Just selfishness? Foolishness? Concern? Not sure.

However, for all her faults, Lily is still ‘friend of last resort’ for the gang. The sounding-board and ‘big-sister’ counselor to Ted, Barney and Robin. ‘The rock.’ Hence, I have to forgive her for all her faults because of her many good intentions and good heart.

My favorite Lily scene of the entire series is from ‘Band or DJ?’/S8.13, when she takes Ted up to the rooftop to ‘have it out’. Lily knows Ted still pines for Robin, and knows he is not happy with Robin’s choice of Barney over himself (Band over DJ); and Ted finally makes that confession. It is in this scene where Lily confesses to Ted that there are times when she is miserable ‘just’ being a mother and school teacher, surrounded by needy children, not following her dream to be an artist. Ted immediately asks her is she has mentioned this to Marshall. The answer is ‘no’.

That’s a terrific scene (high caliber acting by AH and JR), and cuts to the heart of Lily’s ‘rock solid’ demeanor and happy face that is hiding her utter frustration with her life. That’s the Lily I always think about when I see her doing or saying something selfish; when I saw that scene on Monday night with her and Marshall fighting, I immediately thought of that rooftop scene with Ted.

I think she really feels left out of the high-flying lives of Marshall [top lawyer], Ted [top architect], Barney [top businessman] and Robin [near famous television newscaster] that surround her. She’s trying to ‘keep up’ with her husband and friends, and feels trapped in not being able to do so. I think that’s why Lily **needs** to go to Rome. We always think Ted is the one who ‘fell behind’ the others, but Lily may feel that way as well.

Marshall has **earned** the right to be a judge, but Lily **needs** to go to Rome. In the end, ‘need’ may have to trump ‘earned.’ I think the Eriksen’s will end up going to Rome – the judgeship (regardless of how much Marshall has earned it) will have to wait.

It is those scenes of agonizing realization and quiet acceptance, like the one we saw between Lily and Marshall on Monday night (we’ve seen many between Ted and Robin, and even Ted and Barney), that really make HIMYM one of the best shows and unique comedies on television.

• Mika02 says:

Forgot about that good point!

• Priya Bansal says:

It was also his suit he bought from Barney’s tailor. Lily told him to go for Environment job he still chose GNB

• John 1138 says:

The Mother came there by train and when she was leaving after the fight with her evil band person Lilly encouraged her to steal the guy’s van, which is what she picked up Marshall in: so she doesn’t have a car.

Plus it looked like Ranjit’s usual Lincoln town car.

I’ve got faith in Marshall and Lilly: great couple.

• Ari says:

I first thought Ranjit but then I thought maybe she was desperate enough to call Scooter. It would be a way to get Scooter back for one more guest spot.

10. Kre says:

Best episode in a while. If there is one thing HIMYM know how do, they know how to pull at heart strings. That Marshall/Lily scene was deep.

11. Kat says:

My first thought was Lily got in the car with Scooter…

12. Sam says:

Good thing the mother stepped in, Leila is too too geeky of a name.

• Sarah says:

Leia is a perfectly fine mundane name. Something like Padme, on the other hand, would be without question a Star Wars name

13. Colleen says:

Penny Lane and Luke Skywalker Mosby?

14. James says:

While I do agree that Lily was being a little unfair, I think Marshall saying him and Marvin were a consolation prize was way over the line

• rockgolf says:

Why? Marshall might really feel that way. You’ll notice Lily didn’t answer.
      Anyhow, HIMYM is a million times better, and often funnier, dealing with real things like this argument, instead of the God-awful Third Grade-written fanfic that was last week’s slapbet episode.

15. emw says:

Best episode of the season… i loved honest barney… it proved that all of his “less than gentlemanly” was were just his being broken…i love him and Robin together..Marshall & lily were heavy but I think it needed to be said .. next few episodes will be interesting. Oh & Trevor is really a bear. Omg so excited for this wedding day…

16. Mika02 says:

I have to say I agree with Marshall (not the way he verbalized it) but the premise he had a lull in his career but you don’t pass up something like a judgeship which he has been working on for years. That said they need to find common ground. But as someone pointed out here Lilly has had Marshall taking care of her big mess ups and sacrificed his career. It’s time for her to give a little.

17. Kre says:

Also I wonder if the whole “Lily sometimes wish she wasn’t a mother” convo will be addressed again.

• Patrick says:

I doubt it. I saw that as the one off conversation that reflected a moment in time that a lot of first time mothers and fathers feel. The birth of a child so totally changes a person’s life that I lots of people feel overwhelmed.

18. DZ says:

I’m confused. Weren’t they at McLaren’s last week for the slap bet? Now they’re back at the Farhampton Inn? Barney had the slap mark on his face, so the time frame of the slap was the wedding weekend, right? Help!

19. Robin says:

This episode was so much better than I thought it was going to be! Is everyone else as pleasantly surprised as I am when they see The Mother. I also think Lily got in the car with The Mother. And somehow it will be her that talks Lily into going back to listen to Marshall. And we have their names!! I literally rewound the dvr to make sure I heard correctly that Ted had said Penny. Now if we ever get The Mother’s name. I figure it has to be soon right.

20. hipster says:

Yay for non-filler episode. Good closure for a lot of the series.

Luke and Penny. I like it.

21. nina says:

I think the mothers name is leia which should unveil next week. That’s prob y daughters name was penny the mother prob thru the penny

22. Ally Oop says:

Wow, due to too many shows on tv tonight I had to sacrifice watching HIMYM. So disappointed I missed a great episode.

23. JoeTV says:

I’m almost certain that it was The Captain that picked Lily up at the end!

24. Clayton says:

My first inclination was the Mother was driving the car. Then when she got in I assumed Ranjit. Mickey’s another option, though a dark horse.

All that said, Lily really is a bitch. She always has been. She got better in the later seasons, but it’s not just the San Francisco thing. There were so many Lily manipulating things for her moments over the entire series that I’m siding with Marshall on the argument. Though maybe not his way of going about the argument. And definitely not talking with Lily first about it.

• John 1138 says:

The Mother met Lilly on the train then she had to steal that evil guy’s van when she was running away and wound up giving Marshall a ride: she doesn’t have a car…

25. Mel says:

Best episode in awhile.

26. Derrick says:

Great episode. I find the argument was very realistic. My spouse and I sometimes say hurtful things while arguing. So there was a certain authenticity to the fight. I always found Lily to be selfish and Marshall has always been passive. I believe the judgeship is long term and the art is temporary so marshall ‘s job would benefit the family long term. There was no driving gloves on the drivers hand. So the mother is out. I believe it was the Captain. Regardless you should never walk out of a fight.

27. clode says:

Lilly is selfish but saying that just because Marshall wants to be a judge and lilly’s Job is about art so they should Pick Law It’s just wrong. They both have Dream Jobs and just because marshall’s Job is more Secure or conventional doens’t mean he must be the one who chooses. Lilly was selfish all her Life (San Francisco, breaking up with ted’s girlfriends, and so on) but marshall should have not used that. I Hope they can work this out Next episode, let’s not drag this until the end of the show!

28. Kelly says:

This episode was great, but I’m still wondering why Robin’s younger sister Katie (seen in episode 2×12, First Time In New York) is not at the wedding. The season is ending and the wedding is getting closer, but no one has even mentioned her. You would think that siblings are invited to your wedding.

• Laura says:

She’s set to return soon when they address why robin’s mom inset there i believe

• Ann says:

She’ll be there. They already announced that Lucy Hale, who plays Robin’s younger sister will make an appearance in the final season. Obviously, they couldn’t have her therethe entire wedding weekend because the actress is busy on another tv show, so she’ll at least make an appearance. The writers didn’t forget about her.

29. Fernanda says:

i am concerned about Lily and Marshall fighting. This time I’m Marshall’s side

30. Kaylee says:

Anyone else notice that Barney’s left hand was hidden during the flash forward? No ring? Seemed pretty obvious he was hiding that hand.

• paula says:

Hidden until he adjusted his tie in the mirror…then you could clearly see the ring (I think for the first time after the wedding)

31. Cara says:

How can the mother be dead in 2030 (while Ted is telling the story to the kids) when SHE is the one, who’s narrating the next episode? I really don’t like the idea of her beign dead and it would be a horrible ending imho.

• John 1138 says:

Sometimes show comments head in a very twisted direction don’t they?

• Goodbye Universe Guy says:

Perhaps the Mother and Ted do indeed share the same passion for space-related movies and TV shows, but while Ted is a fan of Star Wars, perhaps the Mother is a fan of watching reruns of the old ‘Lost In Space’ television series. Hence, the name Penny.

• NJMark says:

Nearly every fan prediction has been wrong, so I wouldn’t sweat this one.

• emw says:

I’m sorry but where did the concept of the mother being dead come into play? That thought has never crossed my mind but I have thought that barney dies sometime in the future.. such as like the exploding sub 10 years later he pretended to be sick but I think he really was sick but that’s just me..

32. R.O.B. says:

It is too obvious that the mother is going to die during their son’s childbirth. Sure he was a “good” that negates “nothing good happens after 2 a.m.” but I still think that’s what is going to happen. Especially given that they say the ending with the kids has already been filmed years ago. That means the mother is not part of it. I hope that’s not the case, though!

• rockgolf says:

Not likely. The mother and both kids were alive (tho’ not all seen) in the tri-ennial Star Wars showing episode

• Amy says:

In the college reunion episode where Ted and Lily discover they didn’t make out freshmen year, Ted says, “Where is my wife.” This implies she was at that reunion with Marshall and Lily and still alive. Ted also mentions her when he runs into Wendy the Waitress at the airport. Although the mother could be dead in 2038, she isn’t during any of the flash forwards or at Luke’s birth.

• JLK says:

They filmed the ending with the kids years ago because they didn’t want the kids to age to the point where they looked 7 years older at the end of the story that Ted is supposedly telling them in an afternoon. That doesn’t mean that there’s no way to incorporate the mother into the finale. The Mom could call for the kids off screen and they could jump up and exclaim, “Oh thank God! Er…great story Dad, but Mom really needs us now…” They could switch the angle of the shot and show the Mom walking into the room while all we see are the backs of the kids heads on the couch. Ted and the mother have a little exchange and then they fade out to family pictures photoshopped together showing more of their life together. They could fade out at the end of the story and fade back in with the kids aged 7 years and show Penny graduating from college or grad school and about to set off on her own quest to find her soul mate. There are countless ways to go that don’t leave this COMEDY on a depressing note like you’re suggesting.

• Ari says:

No, Ted has mentioned his kids interacting with their mother multiple times. If she died during childbirth they would have those memories for him to pull from.

33. Gerald says:

Loved the Episode. Sad to listen in on the Marshal and Lily fight. (I wonder if Marshal watches Veronica Mars?)
    But I am most upset that there really won’t be a Ring Bear (I was thinking Koala or Panda)

34. Jim says:

Ok.. #1: Don’t get me wrong I LUV this series.. @48 y.o. I’ve had a crush on Allyson since her days as Willow on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.. and I grew up watching Neil play Doogie Howser (and I’ve forgiven him for Starship Troopers.. read the book)

but..

#2: You all are WAYYY too deeply emotionally involved in what is, after all, JUST A TV SHOW.. where literally ANYTHING can happen..

Sure, Lily is a manipulative, b**ch.. maybe thats because there’s a psychopathic serial-killer lurking in her sub-consciousness (brought on by the YEARS of abuse by her step-father who we’ve never met because it all happened as a child and she’s repressed the memories) and all it takes is ONE more argument, or Marshall saying EXACTLY the wrong phrase during one, and out comes the 9″ Butcher’s Knife & a Hockey Mask..

You ppl remind me of the guys who would get all depressed (sometimes to the point of suicide) when their Dungeons & Dragons characters got killed..

IT JUST A TV SHOW.. “NOT REAL” EVENTS HAPPENING TO “NOT REAL” PEOPLE..

35. dlr929 says:

Does anyone remember any explanation for the time that Ted in his voice over stated that Robin never married and became a world class journalist?
    I would have thought it might be addressed at some point that she married uncle Barney.

36. Sarah says:

So glad Marshall is sticking up for himself.

37. hm2201 says:

barney and robin did get married if you look at the scene where “the awesome” song plays and barney looks in the mirror you can see the hand with the ring on it

38. Ewok says:

I’ve always wondered why Marshall took Lily back. Precisely for the reason he brings up in Unpause. She told him that San Francisco was awful. What if she had been successful? But if you forgive someone, you forgive them. Though, as has been pointed out in posts below, sometimes you think you have and don’t know you feel something until you say it. But in many ways I never understood Lily’s need for security – that she can’t travel anywhere, do anything by herself. I always thought of her as very co-dependent. And I guess Marshall is too, though I never gave that as much thought. But he never travelled alone either.

39. Kelly says:

Did anyone else think Penny was a little too young (she looked about 5 months) for them to be having Luke already?

• emw says:

Penny looked to be abt 8 or 9 months old to me but I was so happy with the episode I let that little tidbit slide…i think because the show went on longer than the original time they had to make it look as though she had them 9 months apart

40. Fred says:

I reckon the Mother’s name starts with a T. T and T Mosby has a nice ring to it! I’m going for Trudy or Tracy.

41. ragoo16 says:

didn’t lily work and support him the whole time he was in law school?

42. nick says:

I believe the mother’s name to be Tracy. I think it would be a stupid idea if the mother ended up dying by the end. Unless it’s about 40 years down the line. Why take us through a whole 9 year journey only to kill the mother off. That would be a pointless prank by the writers and no need to watch reruns or buy the DVDs

43. cheap studio beats
    Hello, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar one and i was just curious if
    you get a lot of spam responses? If so how do you protect against it, any
    plugin or anything you can suggest? I get so much lately it’s driving me insane so
    any help is very much appreciated.

44. Bonnie says:

I read this post fully about the resemblance of most up-to-date and preceding technologies, it’s amazing
    article.