Bachelor Backlash: ABC, Show's Producers Blast Juan Pablo's 'Thoughtless' Anti-Gay Remarks

Get More: Controversy

Juan Pablo Galavis Gay Bachelor ABC isn’t standing by their man.

On Saturday, the network and studio Warner Horizon released a statement condemning The Bachelor‘s Juan Pablo Galavis for anti-gay comments he made in an interview Friday night.

“Juan Pablo’s comments were careless, thoughtless and insensitive, and in no way reflect the views of the network, the show’s producers or studio.”

UPDATE | Juan Pablo Issues Apology, Blames Language Barrier for ‘Pervert’ Comment

At the network’s Television Critics Association winter press tour party on Friday, Galavis told a reporter he would be opposed to having an openly gay or bisexual bachelor take part in an upcoming cycle. “I don’t think it is a good example for kids to watch that on TV,” he told The TV Page. “It would be too hard for TV.”

The former Venezuelan soccer star and single dad went on to describe gay people as being “more pervert in a sense.”

Comments (73)

• I agree with JP and his thoughts.

Comment by Bob – January 18, 2014 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So you’re fine with a guy who gets paid to go on tv and sleazily date twenty women (and who had the state of Florida garner his wages for failing to pay his kid’s child support), but anybody who’s gay– no matter if they’ve been in the same relationship for twenty years– is a “pervert”? It’s like the Duck Dynasty fans who were fine with Phil Robertson advocating sex with underage girls but any mention of gays and they flew into a tizzy. Truly nutty moral compass if you ask me.

Comment by Geo – January 18, 2014 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Good point. I’m a Christian and in my faith I do not believe in the lifestyle of homosexuality, BUT I do not believe it is okay to bash, call people names, and place my religion on anyone else. We live in a country where people should be entitled to live their lives the way they want to live it. I think it is simple: you don’t have to agree, but be respectful. His comments were not respectful.

Comment by Lena – January 18, 2014 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Phil got married young as was common back then. Gays do tend to be more promiscuous than heterosexuals, I dated a bisexual and I saw things I could not believe and I am no prude. I believe that is one reason aids spread so quickly. I do not care for the Bachelor but Juan just said what many people feel. If gays want to change their image they need to change their lifestyle.

Comment by Mary – January 18, 2014 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • they SHOULDN’T have to change who they are….it’s how they were BORN…..and NOT all gays are as you saw, i’m sure…..DON’T put ALL GAYS in the same box….that is NOT fair.

Comment by Alisa Neely – January 18, 2014 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Gays do tend to be more promiscuous than heterosexuals
          No. But on that note, let’s say they were for a moment: This would be one blatantly obvious reason for people to support same-sex marriage. I don’t understand how people can complain about the “promiscuous gays” and then deny them the ability to get into a committed relationship. Um…
          I dated a bisexual and I saw things I could not believe and I am no prude.
          Yep, and I’ve known straight people who’ve done things I could not believe.
          I believe that is one reason aids spread so quickly.
          1. Last I’d heard, AIDS was up amongst straight people. Believing AIDS is a “gay” disease was part of the reason why so many of them weren’t as careful-they didn’t think it could ever happen to them.
          2. Sexual orientation does not determine your likelihood of getting that disease. Only your activities do, and those activities are things people of all orientations can do.

Comment by Angela – January 18, 2014 10:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Aids didn’t only spread because of gays but needle drug addicts like your mother and father too…Mary.

Comment by Shan Auguste – January 19, 2014 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • My mother and father were no drug addicts but your mother and father obviously raised an insulting jerk! I spoke the truth and all you can do back is insult!

Comment by Mary – January 20, 2014 03:47 PM PDT
      • We were against everything the duck man said, I will boycott A&E til it’s off the air and ABC for the Spanish don juan unwed deadbeat dad.

Comment by E.F. Coleman – January 19, 2014 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If they didn’t want a answer, they should not have asked him the question. Just too bad he didn’t sugar coat it to make everyone “happy”.

Susan

Comment by Susan – February 2, 2014 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Your thoughts are ridiculous, evil and harmful. Go away, Bob.

Comment by alistaircrane – January 18, 2014 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Time to suspend him from the show!

Comment by Leah – January 18, 2014 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How do you suspend the bachelor from the bachelor?

Have the girls go on dates with the host? Each other?

Comment by Bob – January 18, 2014 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i’d watch that.

Comment by hmm – January 18, 2014 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wait so girl on girl is okay. Typical Bob.

Comment by Andrew Rogers – January 18, 2014 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • As much fun as I would have watching CH date the girls and play Bachelor, the season has already been filmed. What exactly can ABC do at this point? Air After The Rose and trash the rest of the episodes that have already been edited?

Comment by Mary – January 19, 2014 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The host is now single so……the Spanish bachelor should pay his child support.

Comment by E.F. Coleman – January 19, 2014 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why? For telling the truth?

Comment by Mary Turner – January 18, 2014 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He’s not telling the “truth”, you bigot. He’s spewing vitriolic hate and nonsense.

Comment by alistaircrane – January 18, 2014 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Not all homophobic comments are hateful. I don’t believe he was saying that from a place of hatred but stupidity. Being ignorant and hateful are two different things and you can’t take every homophobic remark as hate speech.

Comment by dude – January 18, 2014 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • This is not the 50′s anymore. It’s time to stop saying people are “ignorant.” Everyone over the age of 12 knows what being gay is, and has a basic understanding of what it means to love. I live in the BUCKLE of the Bible Belt, and the whole “being gay is wrong” argument does not stem from ignorance. It’s left over bigotry from decades ago it. If this guy was whining about black people, saying they’re “more pervert,” would people just chalk it up to a language barrier or not being educated? Doubtful.

Comment by Katie – January 19, 2014 02:45 AM PDT
  • Don’t ask people their opinions if you don’t wanna hear the answers to them. There is a language barrier with this guy and he probably didn’t even mean to say those exact words. If he did, then sure, it is insensitive in a way. But man, don’t crucify the guy because of an opinion he was asked to give.

Comment by Anon – January 18, 2014 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Language barrier, please. This fraud is from Ithica New York.

Comment by Jim – January 18, 2014 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree. If you ask a question and receive an answer, leave it alone. Another thing; WHY ALL THESE QUESTIONS REGARDING GAYS IN EVERYBODY’S INTERVIEW NOWADAYS? Can’t they ask important questions regarding the show in which he is associated with? Maybe people should be like Kerry Washington and others who keep personal opinions regarding personal things to themselves.

Comment by Eloise M – January 18, 2014 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Last I checked the people who asked Juan Pablo that question weren’t complaining about his answer. I’m not sure how many ABC executives and people in the general public were curious to know what Juan Pablo’s feelings are about potentially having a gay or bisexual bachelor.

Comment by Meg – January 19, 2014 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with Juan!

Comment by Dale – January 18, 2014 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s sad and scary. Hopefully soon you’ll realize you’re on the wrong side of history.

Comment by alistaircrane – January 18, 2014 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I also agree. That kind of reality show would work on cable but it’s unsafe for broadcast. Gay people can do whatever they want, but gay people are usually more open to their sexualities, and the attraction wouldn’t be one-sided but instead focused on each other. He didn’t bash them, he just told something we all knew.

Comment by +1 – January 18, 2014 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Gay people are more open to their sexualities? Have you seen Bachelor/Bachelorette/Bachelor Pad? All of them, especially Bachelor Pad, are raunchy, trashy programs. And “the attraction wouldn’t be one-sided but instead focused on each other”. Well, that is what the show is banking on – that people will meet, have chemistry, and get married before they really get to know each other.

Comment by MW – January 18, 2014 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Are you deliberately misunderstanding the phrasing of “focused on each other”? If the girls on The Bachelor are all straight, there’s no chance they will be attracted to each other, whereas there is a chance they will be attracted to the man, i.e.. the point of this show. If you have a bunch of gay men, it seems like there would be a significantly greater chance at least one of them would be more into a fellow contestant than the bachelor, since instead of one potentially attractive person you have a whole group to look at, and then the whole point of your show is derailed. As harmless and not-actually-raunchier as a same-sex Bachelor show would be, logistically, I don’t see how it would work without adjusting the format.

Comment by RS – January 19, 2014 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you ABC, smart move. But this viewer is done with the Bachelor this season.

Comment by Eric7740 – January 18, 2014 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • On a daily basis premarital sex, rapes drug use killings are shown on tv but people have a problem with a gay bachelor?

Comment by Jr – January 18, 2014 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do you think the heterosexual bachelors are a good example for kids? I cannot believe the ignorance of people who agree with this idiot. I’ve enjoyed past seasons of the show but it is never appropriate for kids with the sexual content and alcohol consumption. Never that it’s not a realistic depiction of how people start a functional relationship.

Comment by JLC – January 18, 2014 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kids shouldn’t watch this show period. In my opinion, it’s not appropriate. It’s not exactly the Disney channel.

Comment by Lena – January 18, 2014 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, it literally is a Disney channel. ;)

Comment by Jo – January 18, 2014 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOL. Yes, I do know of the association, but the show isn’t for kids.

Comment by Lena – January 18, 2014 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good point.

Comment by debra perry – January 18, 2014 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s nice, but ABC will still never have a gay male bachelor. It’s far too “controversial”

Comment by Ray – January 18, 2014 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Saying it might be to controversial would be a great deal more acceptable than saying gay people are more perverse or a bad example.

Comment by debra perry – January 18, 2014 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • never say NEVER…..you never KNOW, what will be on tv….and WHY shouldn’t the LGBT people get their CHANCE to meet and find love, like straight people?…..EQUAL RIGHTS, people.

Comment by Alisa Neely – January 18, 2014 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LGBT people should never have rights. They are the spawn of the devil, and they make me want to vomit in my mouth.

Comment by Eww Gays – January 19, 2014 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • it’s people like you, that make me SICK….you sure do have ALOT of HATE for group of people who have DONE NOTHING TO HURT YOU……THEY ARE “GOD’S CHILDREN” AS WELL.

Comment by Alisa Neely – January 19, 2014 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • No they aren’t. They disobey him already by being gay. Keep thinking the wrong way though lol.

Comment by Eww Gays – January 20, 2014 03:35 PM PDT
  • Something perverse about a heterosexual man appearing on a program like The Bachelor is you ask me.

Comment by Marilyn Rick – January 18, 2014 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC and critics need to understand that his view is cultural. He was raised in Venezuela, most Latin people feel and believe as he. Latin countries are family oriented and marriage is between a man and a woman.

In our country, the US, it’s almost a requirement to speak and behave PC (politically correct)- espec on the LGBT Community. You can get fired and/or Twitter vilified for having a different view or opinion. The First Amendment was trashed!

Comment by Olivia – January 18, 2014 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • His cultural heritage is no excuse for homophobia, ignorance and hatred.

Comment by alistaircrane – January 18, 2014 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Unless those people who were “Twitter vilified” were tossed in prison because of what they said, the First Amendment was in no way trashed.

Comment by Allee – January 18, 2014 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are you saying only the gay bashers have first amendment rights and nobody is allowed to criticize them? Typical Xtian logic.

Comment by Jo – January 18, 2014 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t condone what he said, because to each his own, but Juan Pablo just say what ABC was afraid to say, they don’t any BLACK bachelor or Bachelorette.

Comment by juls – January 18, 2014 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was a very intelligent comment. People of different cultures have different opinions on morality. He was asked for his opinion and gave it. We shouldn’t be hanged for our different opinions. I’m hoping that freedom of speech is still alive and well.

Comment by Joanna Fox – January 18, 2014 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Joanna’s comment referred to the posting of Olivia.

Comment by Joanna Fox – January 18, 2014 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sigh. The First Amendment was NOT trashed. Let’s try and explain this one more time. The First Amendment only protects people from government censorship. It never, ever, ever, ever, in the history of our nation has been about people saying anything they want without facing consequences from their employer, their fellow citizens, non-governmental organizations to which they belong, etc. You can’t, for example, go around yelling “my boss is an idiot” or racist, anti-Semitic, anti-Catholic, or any other corrosively controversial rhetoric and expect that your employer, who may serve those communities, will keep you as an employee. The First Amendment doesn’t allow you to show up for work in a Klan robe (or conversely, say, an “I Hate White People” T-shirt or an “I Hate Jesus” T-Shirt or whatever) and your boss can’t say “you’re fired, get out of here.” Of course he can. There are certain anti-discriminatory protections (NOT the First Amendment) for peaceful self-expression of religion, race, etc., but these don’t protect you if you start dishing out offensive or aggressive attacks on other minorities. In other words, for instance, you can wear a cross to demonstrate your own faith and your boss can’t fire you for that, but if while representing the company you start telling customers you believe Jewish people are going to Hell, he has every right to say “get the heck out of this office.” ABC can suspend, fire, or do whatever they feel is necessary with Juan Pablo Galavis and it will have ZERO to do with the First Amendment. Hasn’t anyone taken a basic civics or American history course these days?

Comment by Geo – January 18, 2014 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, I did not take a civics lesson . Thank you for correcting me re-educating me. You are absolutely correct and I commend your passion, knowledge and hope you get a position with our Education system.

Comment by Olivia – January 18, 2014 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, an employer can demand any kind of dress code that would forbid wearing any kind of religious symbols. Police officers, for example.

Comment by TigerNightmare – January 18, 2014 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Your comment is not true, other Olivia.
      I come from a latin and Christian culture, I’m gay, and to my surprise the people I feared would reject me the most (including the eldest members of my family and community) have been the most accepting and loving people in my life from the day I came out. They’re mostly Christians and they were not exactly used to see gay people in their lives but still, they’re the best human beings I know. Their (and our) family values are a billion times better because we love, support and respect everyone. We teach and learn acceptance. These, if you ask me, are real family values. What you call “family values” here is merely a cop-out to stay on your high horses and keep feeding hatred. There is NOTHING noble in rejecting people who did nothing to you. I personally have issues with rapists, pedos, murderers etc. However I wouldn’t reject and insult people just because they’re different from me. They can be white, black, asian, hispanic, ables, disabled, christians, muslims, jewish, straight, gay, young, old, and the list could be endless. I don’t care, I judge a human being on their acts and soul, and what they do to other people. If you’re a decent human being, I really don’t care what your color, religion or sexuality is. But if you’re an ignorant bigot doing harm especially based on nothing but your “culture” then you’re just trash and a a waste of oxygen in this already F’d-up world.

Comment by Olivia – January 19, 2014 12:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There are perverts and non-perverts both gay and heterosexual, yes even in Holleywood ;). I don’t think these were thoughtless comments. That’s what he thinks!
    There are ignorant bigots everywhere too, and they are entitled to their opinions too. :P

Comment by debra perry – January 18, 2014 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch the Bachelor or the Bachelorette, both are demeaning to both sexes. My girlfriend was on and it was all scripted, and they knew in advance who was going to be chosen Am I surprised? No.

Comment by jinx – January 18, 2014 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think a lot has been said about Juan, I side with those who find him a narrow minded homophobe. But what about the interviewer? He seemed to be agreeing with him and even making his own negative comments against gay people. Obviously the bigger story in the bachelor, but surely some outrage should be pitted towards this man who interviewed him.

Comment by Brock – January 18, 2014 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like juan pablo. I do not think he should be criticized for his opinion. He could have worded it better perhaps but they asked for his opinion and they got it. Point blank. Don’t ask questions if you dont want to hear their answers.

Comment by anissa – January 18, 2014 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • His reply should have been “No Comment”! If you have nothing nice to say about others, you say nothing at all. This was truly dispicable, what he said. He must be related to Putin.

Comment by Pat – January 18, 2014 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i totally agree with ya……if you CAN’T say anything nice ( i DON’T care, where you are from), then DON’T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL…..better then having to apologize, later.

Comment by Alisa Neely – January 18, 2014 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just take the show off the air anyway and replace it. There’s no reason to continue this charade. Juan Pablo is boring is hell to watch, he’s only in it for the fame, I can hardly understand what he’s saying half the time and it’s just as well. The women all look and act like Barbie dolls. This whole season of the show is an absolute disaster and now Juan Pablo has shown himself to be a hatemonger. Just kill this season please.

Comment by metin tood – January 18, 2014 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • First of all there is this thing called freedom of speech.Second gays are born that way, its a life choice.I for one would not watch such a show, it would not be allowed in my living room. God said it is an abomination.

Comment by Shirley – January 20, 2014 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Gays are NOT born in that way, its a life choice.

Comment by Shirley – January 20, 2014 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Foolish comments from an irrelevant tv show personality. Bigotry is truly ugly!

Comment by Paul – January 18, 2014 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I totally agree with JP. Gays are perverts and disgusting, and should all just die.

Comment by Eww Gays – January 19, 2014 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, get a grip, people! I can’t believe what a bunch of whiny, wussy, spineless babies there are in this country. So he doesn’t think it’s appropriate to have a gay on the show. So what? Maybe they can have a Gay Bachelor, would that make all you whiners happy? And his use of ‘pervert’ I believe really was accidental – I speak a foreign language and I can see how that might happen. Honest to God, what is happening to America? ABC is not helping at all, in fact, ABC is a huge part of the problem that’s why I refuse to watch their liberally biased network.

Comment by Talko – January 20, 2014 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We all have the right to speak freely in this country. I hope that is still true. We need to get the chip off our shoulders & stop taking every thing personal. Can’t we just agree to not agree on this subject & encourage each other to share their feelings & not make each other feel like criminals. The Lord is in charge of judging if needed. But in fact He came not to judge the world but that the world through HIM be saved.

Comment by Sandra – January 20, 2014 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • JP … listen to the question, think about who is asking the question, why do you have to answer questions like this anyway? It was a setup, it wouldn’t have mattered how you answered, the question was controversial and any answer at all had to held under the microscope of someone’s judgement. Like I told my kids, my students and now you… Walk away, just turn around and go the other direction. It isn’t your fight, and you can’t win. If they want Jesus Christ crucified again on TV for the public to view in a reality show,…what does it have to do with you and your reality show?

Comment by Susan Zeus – January 23, 2014 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey everyone has an axe to grind. Juan pablo said what alot of people think. Some say born that way some environment whatever. Just as you need to be accountable for what you say and yes your employer can fire you. Etc. You also have lifestyle choices and you have to be accountable for them as well. And people may not agree with your lifestyle choices just as you may not agree with juan pablos comments but its a reality. Those who are heterosexual prefer that lifestyle and view. If your christian you generally feel man is for woman. Its not that theirs hate toward gays, we just follow the bible as a guide of living and it doesnt support that lifestyle. But it also doesnt support judging. So most of us live and let live.

Comment by bestazforeclosures – March 17, 2014 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post