ABC Boss Takes Blame for Wonderland Blunder, Hints at Racier Revenge Ahead

132937_GROUP_FINALr2Once Upon a Time in Wonderland had no business being on Thursday night.

At the Television Critics Association winter press tour Friday, ABC entertainment president Paul Lee expressed regret that he didn’t stick to his original plan and air the spin-off on Sundays at midseason, bridging the gap between the fall and spring runs of Once Upon a Time.

“I should’ve done that,” he said. “In retrospect, I think it would’ve done better there and I should’ve stuck with the earlier idea. I totally take responsibility for that.” A decision on a second season is TBD.

Other quick hits from ABC’s exec session…

* “Revenge is a self-starter” regardless of lead-in,” noted Lee. In its new timeslot, they “can take the handcuffs off” and “make a 10 o’clock show.”

* “It did take us a little bit of time to find our sea legs” and strike the right balance between the procedural and the mythology, said Lee of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s sluggish start creatively.

* Lee suggested quickly-cancelled Lucky 7 might’ve fared better at 8 pm. (My response: Nope!)

* Mind Games will replace DOA Killer Women beginning Tuesday, Feb. 25. New drama series Black Box premieres Thursday, April 24 at 10/9c, replacing Scandal (which is wrapping early due to Kerry Washington’s pregnancy). Lastly, the new cycle of Dancing With the Stars bows Monday, March 17.

* The network has ordered another Toy Story special, Toy Story That Time Forgot, to air in December.

* Body of Proof was cancelled because “we didn’t think it would grow.”

1. DavidH says:

I watch a couple of episodes but the TV show didn’t do it for me, beside that I never understood why the authors call it a spin off, The only connection that I see with Once Upon The Time is the sharing title :) Alice wasn’t part of Storybrooke or even appear in any episode. I’m sorry for the fan out there, but I won’t be personally sorry if they cancel it.

Better show got cancel.

2. Red says:

Loved Body of Proof. I don’t watch anything on ABC anymore except Castle. That’s it. I’m tired of them cancelling anything good and replacing with junk.

3. prish says:

They need to give it a second year with a few of the Once characters, plus have the white rabbit visit Storybrook. Everyone would watch the reruns of the first year for the backstory, later. I would watch it, then.

4. Nina says:

Cyrus is gorgeous. Enough said :)

5. Gracie_Evil_Regal says:

OUAT will always…..ALWAYS be superior to Wonderland…..second season or not!!! Love Eddy and Adam’s imaginations…..but OUAT was their first idea and their best idea…BY FAR!!!!!!!

6. Amanda says:

I want Wonderland to come back!!! It was so good! I love it just as much as OUAT. They can’t just leave the ending like that! So what if it was on Thursday nights? I never watch TV when it’s actually on. I watch all episodes on Hulu. Bring it back immediately!!!

7. Becca says:

I love this show, took some time to watch it, but once I found it on Demand, I fell in love.

8. tempo.co.id says:

You can wallpaper the wall behind the bed or use wood paneling
    to set that wall apart from the rest of the room. Before you purchase any bedroom furniture you don’t need,
    it’s important for you to understand what furniture will suit your bedroom and exactly what furniture
    you have a necessity for. Generally, it is a mix of conventional and modern
    styles that is very easily attained even if you are a do-it-your self designer.

9. Jamelle says:

It’s funny that all of the haters are talking abouy how bad OUATIW is yet they know that Will is now in the bottle and the RQ is good. Obouvsly it’s good enough to not only watch it and keep up on what’s going on but care enough to also leave a comment. Just admit what we all know that it really is a good show why else do you even care?

10. ziggySawdust says:

PLEASE SAVE REVOLUTION! Even tv.com’s cynical writers are saying it is a better and more focussed show than the Walking Dead! I don’t believe this but I believe RRevolution, should it be given more time to grow will hit it’s stride with a vengeance in season 3! I pretend the programme began with the writers they have now, in season 2!!!!!! It’s such a waste of everybody’s imaginations and suspension of belief…………….plus it’s got me in like ‘Lost’ once did. I am not alone! -from Melbourne Australia (watch it on Foxtel cable)

11. AMD says:

Personally, I love OUATIW. The Characters, the Acting, the Writing, the Chemistry; I like all of it better than that of the mother-show; right now, my biggest complaint is the Jabberwocky’s questionable wig. Maybe it shouldn’t have been a spin-off, maybe it should’ve been a stand-alone show simply titled, “Wonderland” (from the creators of OUAT lol); I still would’ve watched it; I still would’ve loved it. Every week when it comes on, I think, “FINALLY there’s more Wonderland”(Direct quote from my brain lol). I hope it gets a second season. And, to be perfectly honest, a third. I’m excited to know more about all these characters, as well as the worlds they come from.

12. Lorie says:

ok first of all to those who say tv and film are all about the graphics and visual effects….realllyy. To me tv and film are about the actors and whether they can make you believe its real. Tv and film started with plays in theatres and I promise you those sets were far less believable than what you see on this or lots of other shows. When a person disses a show just because of the visual effects or the CGI you are completely dismissing the actors, the writers, and the directors who came up with the whole concept in the first place. If you can write, act, or direct better then you have a right to complain but don’t dismiss something just because of the CGI especially when you have no idea what the budget is for the show. To me once upon a time and its spin off are about talent…human talent not how expensive the equipment they use to create the CGI backgrounds is. To dismiss a show on that basis alone is preposterous. Tv and film began in the theatre where having an imagination is a requirement.

13. Kasiedanette says:

I love it! I love all the characters. I like the cheesy graphics. The humor that Michael socha brings is amazing. I adore him. He’s so sassy. I want a second season SOOO BAD. I don’t watch any other of the OUAT shows.

14. Greg D says:

I never too much cared for the Alice in Wonderland story but u have it a chance since I loved the parent ‘Once’. I grew to really like it but Wonderland is missing a bit of the spark that Once has.
    Using it to fill in Once’s hiatus gaps and that’s what u get when u don’t stick to what u want.

15. ajac71 says:

Body Of Proof was REALLY growing, and it was also compelling AND funny (Something well past its use by date ‘Bones’ hasnt been for 7 years!)

16. jj says:

Both the original and the spin-off is awful.

17. Sky says:

I hope they don’t cancel this show and move it to Sundays. If so, I would be disappointed with them.

18. Josh P says:

It sounds like Paul Lee needs to go. He’s not done well at programing.

19. But….. But I need Jafar he’s one of my favorite villains both in the animated Disney film Aladdin and in Once Upon A time in Wonderland…… *Sighs* I’m goanna miss his awesome evil doings and insatiable appetite foe power. :’(

20. Roman says:

I watched every episode. Just like most series on t.v., it started slow out the gate. But the show was awesome. It did not have a giant budget. So, yea the CGI could have been better. But, it rocked. It is a very creative twist to some of my favorite characters. So to say it was crap is an insult. What have all you haters came up with lately? Hmmm? Anyone? Didnt think so.

21. game online says:

Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular post! It’s the
    little changes that produce the most significant changes.
    Thanks for sharing!

22. Mary S says:

THIS IS A JANUARY COLUMN. Why waste our time with something that is three months past its relevancy??

23. I was under the impression that OUAT in Wonderland was going to only be a one season show. Would it have done better bridging the gap between regular OUAT season runs? Most definitely. Wonderland was most definitely for a niche audience. I think it may be a better idea to explore other “lands” in one season explorations rather than continuing with a second season of Wonderland…similar to the American Horror Story format.

24. Thank you a lot for sharing this with all of us you actually understand what
    you’re talking approximately! Bookmarked. Kindly also consult with my web site =).

We may have a hyperlink change agreement between us

25. I always spent my half an hour to read this webpage’s articles or reviews everyday along with a cup of coffee.

26. Aun no lo poseemos pero en unos días los tendremos disponible en nuestra web.