Scoop: ABC Orders Supernatural Drama Pilot Clementine From Manchurian Candidate Writer

clementine-pilotIs Clementine the new black?

That’ll be the question, so to speak, hovering over a new supernatural drama pilot ordered today by ABC and written by Dean Georgaris, whose movie scripts include Paycheck, Tristan + Isolde and the 2004 remake of The Manchurian Candidate.

The logline for the prospective series reads as follows: “A habitual criminal digs into the mystery of her origins after she becomes the target of a group of zealots who fear she possesses latent supernatural abilities that she will one day harness for either profound good or monstrous evil.”

Executive Producers for the pilot are Mark Gordon (Criminal Minds, Grey’s Anatomy), Nicholas Pepper and Ilene Staple.

1. alistaircrane says:

It’s supernatural-themed, so I’ll watch it.

2. Et al says:

Spoiler alert: they’re going to air this Sunday @ 10 and it’s going to get canceled.

3. Ally Oop says:

This show sounds intriguing. The first development project of the season ordered to ilot by any of the networks that I actually have interest in.

As a side note, the 2013-2014 tv season has had the most good new shows in years. So far this year there’s been 6 keepers for me with 11 shows not-yet-aired which I am anticipating. Last season for comparison, I had only 3: Revolution, Nashville and the quickly-cancelled-unfairly Last Resort. If only ABC had had a crystal ball last year–they would have given Last Resort a better shot in its difficult timeslot.

4. David says:

Am I the only one tired of all these supernatural themed shows? There’s certainly a place for them but there is getting to be too many now. That’s why I’m hoping Parenthood, Hart of Dixie, etc can keep going for a little while longer.

• alistaircrane says:

Please. There are hardly any supernatural shows on the air. The shows you listed are garbage. We need more genre on our television.

• Ally Oop says:

Hart of Dixie and Parenthood are not garbage. They are really good heart-warming shows. That being said, I am also a supernatural drama fan. My top 5 shows are Revolution (dystopic drama), Parenthood (regular drama), Reign (historical drama), The Originals (supernatural drama), Nashville (regular drama) and Hart of Dixie (dramedy). To be, its not the genre that matters but the characters and their stories.

the 19 shows on U.S. network tv I currently watch, 5 are supernatural/dystopic/scifi dramas (Revolution, The Originals, Vampire Diaries, Sleepy Hollow and Under the Dome), 1 is an historical drama (Reign), 4 are half-hour comedies (Trophy Wife, The Goldbergs, Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother), 1 is a dramedy (Hart of Dixie), 1 is a musical drama (Glee), 4 are regular dramas (Revenge, Nashville, Grey’s Anatomy and Parenthood) and 3 are procedurals (The Blacklist, Chicago PD and Hawaii Five-0).

5. Sodalitas Quaerito says:

I still miss ‘Miracles’ with Skeet Ulrich. #BrilliantButCancelled

I’m always game for a new show with a genre-based twist, but only if they approach it authentically and follow their own rules. Also, move the plot along and not at a snails pace. If this person is “destined” to have Supernatural abilities, I want to see evidence of those abilities before the end of the pilot and shown same abilities before the mid-season break… None of this “Oh we’re thinking in Season 3″ bullsh*t they try to run up the flagpole every once and awhile. If you’re going to do a story, commit to the story and amp it up, Give people something to enjoy watching instead of giving them something to wade through before you get to “the good part”.

In fact, only use the good parts, Plot points aren’t filler, they should be essential to defining a larger arc or showcasing a characters development. I mean this is TV after all,

• Francine says:

Aw, I loved Miracles too. It never had a chance.

• sarah says:

I just watched the pilot for a survey company. It surpassed my expectations. I myself am a True Blood, The Originals, Under The Dome, Bates Motel, Revenge, etc.fan. I can assure you all it really impressed me. Which is what led me to Google it to see if it actually began to air without my knowing. I am anticipating it’s premiering. The actor who played Jesus, Lafayette’s boyfriend in True Blood was in it, as well as the guy who plays Robbie in Shameless. Tons of action and supernatural abilities exposed immediately. Moves at a great pace. I can only hope the rest of the series maintains the same speed.

6. Martina says:

Supernatural meets Zero Hour.

7. Patrick Maloney says:

Took me a little bit more time to get the “Clementine is the new black” than I care to admit but this looks good