Ratings: Golden Globes Hit 7-Year High, Good Wife Eyes a Possible High, Betrayal Ticks Up

Golden Globe Awards 2014NBC’s broadcast of the 71st annual Golden Globe Awards on Sunday night drew 20.9 million total viewers and a 6.5 demo rating (per final numbers ordered by NBC), rising 6 percent and a tenth versus 2013 to hit 10- and 7-year highs.

Check out the full list of TV winners, our review of Amy and Tina’s monologue, the best/worst moments, backstage buzz and the scoop on a pre-show controversy.

Facing off against the kudoscast, ABC’s Revenge (5.7 mil/1.6 per fast nationals) was down 15 percent and two tenths, while the penultimate Betrayal (2.8 mil/0.8) ticked up a tenth.

Pending any football overrun adjustments, CBS’ The Good Wife (9.8 mil/1.8) rose 7 percent and four tenths, eying a possible season-high demo rating. The Mentalist (9.4 mil/1.7) inched up one tenth. But again — subject to change.

Fox’s animation line-up saw steep across-the-board declines versus last week’s NFL-inflated outings.

Not that any of the regulars/pros here need reminding, but ratings for Girls, Shameless, True Detective and any of cable’s ilk won’t be in until much later, to be reported under separate cover.

Comments (24)

• Happy for the uptick for the Good Wife…hope it doesn’t adjust down too much due to footfall…just wish it had been a better episode. This weeks episode was definitely my least favorite of season 5.

Comment by Ames – January 13, 2014 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. While I’ve enjoyed the new firm plot line, it’s starting to get old. Everyone needs to move on. I especially dislike the Will character more than ever and wish they could find something better for Kalinda.

Comment by Jimmy – January 13, 2014 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amazing episode of a REVENGE last night. Season One greatness this year! Against the big competition and with a weak lead in, Revenge did great!

Comment by iMember – January 13, 2014 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What is the Revenge lead in since Once is tabled until March?

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 13, 2014 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s a behind the scenes special of The Bachelor. It got a 0.9 rating last night.

Comment by iMember – January 13, 2014 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Um, yeah. That’s bad. For one thing they’ve already done this just in a little different format. They keep bringing back these “successful” match ups and no one cares :-)

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 13, 2014 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • REVENGE’s winter finale is next week; it then comes back March 9 in 10pm time slot: http://tvline.com/2013/11/19/abc-midseason-schedule-2014-revenge-time-slot-change/

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – January 13, 2014 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • So Revenge came back earlier than what this article says, right? Or is it airing a couple episodes then leaving again and coming back in March?

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 13, 2014 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • What? Revenge just returned from winter hitas! Why does ABC keep doing this to my favorite show?! I am so tired of the constant interruptions. It doesn’t make sense for them to do this. Winter hitas I understand, b/c all shows go on that, but to have another hitas after what 3 episodes after Sunday is just absurd!

Comment by Allyson – January 13, 2014 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I miss when Emily used to actually win, though. It’s unbearable to see Daniel getting the best of her.

Comment by Mikael – January 13, 2014 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Revenge rocks this season! Love it!

Comment by Ava – January 13, 2014 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i didnt watch so can someone tell me who Amy Peohler is dressed up to be? I have a few guesses..

Comment by shadester – January 13, 2014 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgewick came out to introduce Ms. Golden Globe who is their daughter Sosie then Tina came out and said I would like to introduce Mr. Golden Globe my 12 year old son from a previous relationship….then Amy (dressed as the little boy) went around the audience asking who their father was. It was really funny! I am sure you can find it on youtube somewhere.

Comment by Girl in MD – January 13, 2014 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL, I thought this was one of the more ridiculous things from the night. Completely unnecessary and not funny.

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 13, 2014 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “went around the audience asking who their father was”

She went around the audience asking her “mom” who HER father was. I thought it was too funny, especially when she stopped near Idriss Elba…

Comment by Sandy – January 13, 2014 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Or Idris Elba.

Comment by JenInChicago – January 14, 2014 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love me The Good Wife but I have this strong feeling it will most certainly adjust down.. as long as it’s not lower than a 1.5 I’ll be happy..

Comment by Will – January 13, 2014 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought The Good Wife was great last night. I’ve never seen the whole double jury thing before, but I thought it was really funny. It sucks that we have to wait till March 9 for it to come back.

Comment by abz – January 13, 2014 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • .Lisbon and Jane owned that episode. The series really needs to stick with its innate strengths, and that pair is definitely one of them.
    .So glad to see VanPelt and Rigsby back. The new people just don’t have the same vibe with the three left that those two have.
    .I know Jane was just meaninglessly teasing Lisbon like he normally does, but she did look beautiful in that hat.
    .Very interested to find out what’s going on with the tapping of the old CBI crew’s phones.
    .That is the kind of episode that makes you want to return for more of THE MENTALIST. The episode was a definite win.
    On THE GOOD WIFE, I actually liked last night’s episode a great deal. Kalinda really started irking me but I’m glad Carey actually played her and that at least she’s trying to renew the friendship.
    .Will was getting tiresome, especially when he lied to the judge about what he saw.
    . I loved the concept [of the 2 juries] and the couple, especially at the end, were cute. The mathematician really got to me when he was trying to decide what to do, speaking of his life being percentages.
    .the best moment was the face-off with Will and Peter. The way he looked at Will when he was talking about, “sleeping with another man’s wife, ” was – Wow. Great acting from the two in that scene.
    - kinda nervous/excited to see the possible upheaval this whole “tampered election” thing sets off, if they decide to make it become one.

Comment by MeAgain – January 13, 2014 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish TVline would recap TGW.
    Why did TGW bother coming back for 2 weeks then be off for 2 months?

Comment by Forwardad – January 13, 2014 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Upcoming Grammy Awards, then 2014 Olympics, and then the Oscars.

Comment by abz – January 13, 2014 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my..Lisbon looked stunning in that scene with the glasses & hat on. Bring the heat on baby! That’s more like it..the good old Lisbon-Jane vibe is what makes The Mentalist ticks & bring joy to hearts of it’s fans.

Comment by Rich Abey – January 13, 2014 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Betrayal is most likely dunzo, but im really into the show. Hopefully its ended with a decent wrap-up

Comment by Naazneen – January 13, 2014 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve officially given up on TGW. While the season started out great, the Kings have lost the momentum and the past few episodes show that there is definitely a problem with the writers and the executive staff on the show. This latest episode? It was like the writers threw in a bunch of dialogue that made absolutely no sense, the characters were fumbling for words that weren’t there and there was absolutely no drama.

If the Kings don’t turn this season around, and fast, I don’t see this series lasting for too much longer.

Comment by kimpie – January 15, 2014 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post