Starz's Outlander: Watch the First Trailer

Get More: Previews, Video

Fans of Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander novels, here’s your first chance to see Jamie and Claire in action. Verra exciting, no?

Starz on Saturday released the first sneak peek at its upcoming historical drama, which is based on Gabaldon’s international best sellers.

RELATED | Exclusive: Starz’s Outlander Casts Borgias Actress

(If you’re already familiar with the plot, skip down to the video and indulge in the action, meaningful glances and kilts.)

The series, adapted by Battlestar Galactica‘s Ronald D. Moore, follows the story of Claire Randall (played by Irish actress Caitriona Balfe), a married combat nurse from 1945 who is mysteriously swept back in time to 1743, where she is immediately thrown into an unknown world. When she is forced to marry Jamie Fraser (newcomer Sam Heughan), a chivalrous and romantic young Scottish warrior, a passionate affair is ignited that tears Claire’s heart between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.

Press PLAY on the video below, then hit the comments with your thoughts!

Tags: ,

Comments (33)

• I almost peed my pants! So excited. The trailer doesn’t tell much but it is enough to get me counting down the weeks and months until we get more.

Comment by MandaJ – January 11, 2014 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That looked intriguing. I haven’t read the books. Do lots of people die?

Comment by Teag – January 11, 2014 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Read the book. You won’t be disappointed.

Comment by CSJ – January 13, 2014 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Start reading now. It’s worth it. You won’t be able to put them down.

Comment by JP – January 15, 2014 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I haven´t put them down and I have to finish my final paper at university in few weeks. It´s crazy addictive. Even though I must admit books 3 and further seems little different.
      To answer your question, usually in books or TV show they either kill anyone and almost everyone, so no one stays for long and they have to replace them with new characters you might not like so much and you kind of stop to care, partly because you don´t want to be sad later, or everyone is saved from every horrible situation and deaths come only as big finale etc. I must say I have never read a book or seen a show with such a great balance between those possibilities. I´m in book 5, so yeah, there were already few big deaths, but there is usually huge amount of violence without the death. Seriously, Jaime can´t have an inch of skin without some scar and I have still few books left, poor guy.
      I´ll tell you what made me decide to read it. Someone asked the author what she thinks about the fact that Christian Grey was obviously inspired by Jaime. She said: “Fortunately, I´ve never read 50 shades of Grey.” I fell in love with her. Later, she mentioned she´s friend of GRRM (A Song of Ice and Fire – Game of Thrones) and once a month they have lunch and talk about their books and TV adaptations and fans, because he says she´s the only one in the same situation as he is. If that guy thinks this, I needed to have the book in my hands at that very moment. I started reading during nights, so I would keep working on school things during the day, and since that I go to sleep at 6 am almost every night, because I can´t put it down. So…

Comment by tsevca – March 26, 2014 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait! Outlander is a great story. Love the cast!

Comment by JAO – January 11, 2014 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so wicked excited for this! Love the books and I’m so happy with the cast! Now all they need is Albannach for the soundtrack and it’ll be perfect!

Comment by Kim – January 11, 2014 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, this totally flew under my radar but after seeing the promo I’m definitely gonna tune in. This show is just up my ally. And after seeing the promo, I also got a sense of deja vu. Methinks I actually read one of these back in the day. In my other life before kids I was a bookworm who read A LOT.

Comment by Ally Oop – January 11, 2014 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never been able to get past the first 60 or so pages of Outlander, I’ve tried a few times and I know people say it gets better after that. But I’m excited for the series.

Comment by liz – January 11, 2014 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I read about 1/4 of the book before I finally decided to give up. The concept sounded much better than the execution. I think the TV series could be great, though, considering Ron Moore is handling it. Also, I like the casting of Jamie, Claire, etc.

Comment by dreamlife613 – January 12, 2014 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • the cast is really appealing. And I’d watch anything Ron Moore does. That more than anything has me tuning in.

Comment by liz – January 12, 2014 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the only book I do not like is the 5th one.. As long as they all are I have never lost interest Except for tha 5th one . These books have the making of a very good series. I just hope starz puts enough money into .to bring it to life. The detail that this author puts into the conditions and tragic time in Scottish History is amazing. I loved the Tudors I believe this has the ability to far outshine Jonathan Rhys Meyers and HenryCaville . This new guy playing Jamie is perfect from descriptions in the books Pretty hot tooLOLOLOL
      . CANT WAIT..I HAD HEARD THAT Liam Neesome was playing the older Jamie in the later books. Anyone else hear that????\

Comment by candy – January 23, 2014 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “These books have the making of a very good series. I just hope starz puts enough money into .to bring it to life.” …?! There are SO many things wrong with that statement! If no one can write a book without fans expecting TV to do it better, I don’t want to live on this planet anymore.

Comment by Doc Red – January 28, 2014 11:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • outlander on starz -_-

f*ck !

I HATE THIS CHANNEL !

Comment by Mia – January 11, 2014 10:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Serve the chicken soup up with some home made bread and it will be a hearty
    and delicious meal that you will not soon forget.

Any fat in the broth will solidify on the top and can be
    skimmed off before use. Remove meat from the saucepan
    and then cut it up into pieces of about A¼ to A½ inch squares.

Comment by www.jenius.com.au – January 12, 2014 03:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Slice the grilled chicken in strips or chunks and
    then arrange them on top of the spinach salad.
    Cajun style cooking originated in France and uses ingredients like bell peppers, lemons, onions, garlic, oregano, figs,
    celery, spring onions and Tabasco and Cayenne peppers.
    Grill chicken, fish, beef or pork for your protein choice.

Comment by http://www.fahying.com – January 12, 2014 03:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These books are made for good TV!! Very excited. And TVLine is the only site that I can actually see the trailer on apparently.

Comment by CourtTV – January 12, 2014 04:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot wait. Got starz channel just for this !!! Diana is a genius, I have high hopes for this. The casting looks good, a great director, now the waiting will kill me…….

Comment by Kendra – January 12, 2014 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OOh, the casting looks good. Both Claire and Jamie look like I might have imagined them to look. Loved the books! I read the first one when it first came out about (yikes! 20 years ago). Bout time for a re-read.

Comment by evababy – January 12, 2014 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the books–I am excited to see it on screen!

Comment by Mel Cole – January 12, 2014 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is disturbing how closely Frank/Randall resemble how I pictured him in my head.

Comment by Alice – January 12, 2014 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve read all seven books and am eagerly awaiting the last one! These books have been mesmerizing and I could hardly put one down to do my chores! Looking forward to the Starz series!

Comment by Jan – January 14, 2014 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll tune in when it comes to DVD (I don’t have Starz). I enjoyed the first four books, but after that I just gave up. This series just drags on and on. Jamie is not at all how I pictured him. I pictured him, I guess more husky. I love Moore’s work, so I have faith that this will do well.

Comment by LSJ – January 14, 2014 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG! That gave me chills! I can’t wait for this show. I’ve been waiting for years to see my favorite books adapted for the screen and have extremely high hopes for this!

Comment by LABete – January 14, 2014 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t wait!

Comment by Rebecca Fox – January 17, 2014 04:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When is it going to be aired? I am waiting until right before to add Starz.

Comment by Margaret – January 19, 2014 04:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m stoked I’ve read the 7 books twice hope the show is as good

Comment by Adam Ellingson – February 1, 2014 04:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have listened to all these books ! I am looking forward to this Series. I am a hairdresser and have told everyone about this Series ! I myself have enjoyed every one of these books. I hate for them to come to an end. Lord how I wish Jamie could travel through the stones .

Comment by D.Dedas – February 17, 2014 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the books, now I am eagerly awaiting the TV series. Very excited about this.

Comment by Tania Swanepoel – February 20, 2014 05:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot wait for this to begin. I read/listened to the series about 8 years ago. Immediately got my sisters to start reading the series. We have been “casting” for the movie ever since. I have always thought that Liam Neesome would be the BEST Jamie. From what I can see, it looks like they have done a good job so far with the casting. Whatever they have done, I hope they do a good job. The books are too good to “mess up” with a poor movie. ~J~

Comment by Joye – February 23, 2014 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will the series be released in Australia

Comment by lesley daley – February 28, 2014 03:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG! This looks like its going to be Amazing! I can’t wait. I love the books from this series. And am happy with the actors they picked for Outlander. Sam as Jamie is Hot.

Comment by Teresita – March 3, 2014 04:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post