Golden Globes: Who Should Win, Who Will Win

Something you need to know before you dive into my predictions for the 2014 Golden Globe Awards: In the 13-plus years I’ve been doing this, I have never once been wrong. Save for in 2002 when Charlie Sheen won for Spin City. And 2008 when David Duchovny snagged a trophy for Californication. And 2012 when Kelsey Grammer triumphed for Boss. And… my point is this: Despite the occasional gaffe, my Globes track record is fairly solid. I’m feeling particularly confident about my picks for Sunday’s 71st annual ceremony (yes, Tatiana Maslany, you absolutely should prepare an acceptance speech).

PHOTOS | Golden Globe Nominations 2014: The 30 Biggest Snubs

So, scroll through the gallery below to view the results of my crystal ball consultation, as well as my choices for who should win, then hit the comments with your own Golden forecast. And then make a date with TVLine Sunday beginning at 8/7c for complete coverage of Hollywood’s biggest, booziest night.

1. Tharcy says:

Michael, I just hope you’re right about one thing: Amy Poehler! Drama this past year has been great and I will be happy either way, since I watch 90% of the nominees. But Comedy… Amy deserves it! I love Julia (so much that I’m halfway through a Seinfeld marathon) but it’d be awesome to see Amy getting her statuette while also being the show’s presenter!

2. Eve says:

I got as far as “Big Bang Theory” should win, and then NOPE. THIS LIST HAS JUST LOST ALL VALIDITY. I’M OUT.

3. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Best Actress-Tatiana Maslany for ORPHAN BLACK…Hands Down.

4. Maria says:

There is no way Andy Samberg is winning. I was very surprised he was nominated in the first place.

5. Yolanda says:

I wish Maslany could win cause she so deserves it but I heard from my friend who’s HFPA member that most of the voters are voting for Kerry Washington cause she’s the tv’s IT girl at the moment. They have nominated Maslany just to show they care for performances too but hey are still going with popularity instead. Shame.

6. Aiya says:

You’re 0/2 so far! What happened?

7. Dan says:

You missed 6.

• Ron says:

I truly think he let some of his personal biases seep into the “will win” category. The HFPA are going to only honor so many “new” things, and I thought it was pretty obvious it was going to be Samberg and B99 (though Ausiello did have Samberg winning). The other “new” things would just have to do with the nomination — this means Maslany and Potter. But I think he let his preferences cloud his judgment in those categories for whatever reason. Like I said, I thought it was pretty obvious Samberg and B99 were sweeping because it was the only new comedy nominated, and so they both were going to take the “shiny, new thing” GG. The dramas had so many “new, shiny things” that it just made sense to not try and single them all out. For example, Maslany, Potter, House of Cards, Masters of Sex, OITNB, and others. Some of his misses seem legitimate, like choosing AHS:Coven over Candelabra (though I would’ve gone Candelabra as it just had too much momentum and buzz headed by a movie star cast), or choosing Spader over Cranston (I, again, would’ve chosen Cranston because I think it’s too hard to overlook his performance, but the HFPA does love Spader, so it seemed like a legitimate pick). But some of his other picks, e.g., Maslany, Potter, TBBT, seemed to come from purely letting some bias slip in. And, I would’ve even picked BB over TGW. I know HFPA has been less than kind to BB over the course of its run, so it kinda makes sense to not choose it in a “will win” category, but even the HFPA couldn’t deny the amazing-ness of 5B, so I found it hard to believe they’d lose. I just had a feeling if HFPA was going to snub BB, it would be Cranston (so I’m kinda surprised he won) and Paul — they already had a huge snub when they didn’t even nominate Gunn — but I thought it nearly impossible for even HFPA to not give the win to the series.

8. anon123 says:

6/11, that’s more than half. :(

9. dude says:

SO bummed Tatiana Maslany lost! Travesty! And to the LEAST deserving nominee. There’s nothing special about Robin Wright in that role except for the fact she’s a movie star. Kerry and Taylor both give much better performances as well as Tatiana who is just unbeatable.