Fox's Enlisted: Are You Ready to Sign Up?

Enlisted Series Premiere RecapThe bumbling soldiers of Florida’s Fort McGee made their debut Friday on Fox’s Enlisted (9:30/8:30c) — after watching the military comedy, are you ready to join the platoon?

Before you vote in the poll below, here’s a quick recap. Sgt. Pete Hill (The Finders Geoff Stults) is a very successful U.S. Army soldier in Afghanistan… until he decks a superior and winds up assigned to a rear detachment (or “rear D”) in Florida.

RELATED | Brandon Routh Gets Enlisted: Exclusive Details

Turns out, that’s where his two brothers, the sarcastic slacker Derrick (Veronica MarsChris Lowell) and the sweet dimwit Randy (Suburgatory‘s Parker Young) — who also are soldiers — are stationed. Pete is used to dodging bullets and carrying out life-or-death missions; Derrick and Randy are used to washing tanks and mowing lawns.

The three actors’ chemistry is evident from the moment the Hill brothers are reunited after a year’s absence, though Pete quickly makes it clear that he wants out of Fort McGee ASAP. That feeling intensifies when he meets the lackadaisical, untrained platoon he’s supposed to lead. Some are fat. Some can barely stand. And none has the inclination to complete either of their prescribed duties: finding a base family’s missing dog and competing against a visiting Italian regiment in some war games.

RELATED | Enlisted Scoop: Heart of Dixie Vet Joins the Ranks

After the Hill brothers’ in-family fighting devolves into fisticuffs at reveille, base chief Sgt. Major Cody (The Cape‘s Keith David) forces Pete to understand that Fort McGee’s missions may not be dramatic but they are incredibly important to the families of soldiers overseas.

And so a chastened Pete apologizes to his brothers for being emotionally distant during his deployment (he was afraid that his death would hurt them worse if he were in touch more often) and to the members of his platoon for thinking that he was better than them (a confession that motivates them to fulfill both of their missions in one fell swoop).

The comedy is heartwarming without being hokey, and the supporting cast — including Angelique Cabral (Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23) — is quirky without being annoying.In short,we’d gladly re-up.

But now we want to know what you think. Grade the episode via the poll below, then back up your choice in the comments.

1. Fernando says:

Heck yes I’m enlisted, this was too funny and the three brothers have great chemistry.

• Jan says:

I totally agree…the cast makes this show work, without good chemistry any show can fail – I am invested after only 1 episode :) LOVE IT!!!

2. Morgan says:

As an Air Force vet, I love the fact that the characters are Army. It helps me rag on my Army friends that the Army will take anybody. The show was great. I hope it lasts.

3. robert says:

The show was way to unrealistic military customs and courtesys were no adhered to the uniforms were off. It seem fox made a military sitcom without knowig anything about the military.

• Daya says:

Sounds like you’re the person they’re looking for. You should enter their “point out the errors” contest and earn some of their swag.

• Amanda says:

The creator does know about the military, but there are some mistakes. They even made a fb page where you can “report violations” from the show. They will send you a token of some type for you response.

• Jerri says:

It’s Fox, getting the facts right isn’t their department. ;-)

• Kat says:

So, you must be that one person watching MSNBC!
        I loved it, and yes, the chemistry was terrific!!

• meleliot says:

Seriously Jerri WTH? Fox Broadcasting Company is NOT Fox News Channel. You can smiley wink all you want, but you are obviously just another liberal trying to get a dig in at Fox News. The jokes on you though. Sheesh…leave politics out of it.

• Brooke says:

Is that kind of like not writing comments on the Internet unless you know how to use language correctly?

• Lola says:

Of course it wasn’t 100% accurate. Also, Cheers didn’t completely accurately portray what working in a bar was like and Sports Night didn’t accurately portray what working on a cable tv sports show was like….because they’re sitcoms! It’s entertainment! And it was funny! Probably the first sitcom where I have laughed out loud several times in a while.

• Winter says:

You know I thought that going in and actually said it out loud several times while watching the show, but I was thoroughly entertained and I kept laughing at the show. It reminds me of old shows like McHale’s Navy or Sgt. Bilko. Creates a bungling squad but doesn’t demean or belittle the military and entertains the masses. I could see it driving some military members crazy though.

4. Kate says:

I loved it so much I will be watching it again tonight. It was funny but also had heart. Pilots are usually rough but I really enjoyed this!

5. LK says:

Very funny.

6. Elyse says:

I really enjoyed it!! I’ll definitely keep watching :D

7. cjeffery7 says:

it was about what i expected in terms of delivering laughs, which is to say it did, because it was ridiculous, so i’ll tune in again next week.
    (i’m also a fan of Tania Gunadi a.k.a. Cindy – the tiny elbow-throwing spitfire going through a divorce – from MyMusic on youtube!)

8. Aleana says:

It was very funny and heartwarming gave it B hope it has good ratings

9. Babygate says:

I had no interest in this back when it got picked up. I am so glad I gave it a chance. I laughed so hard I literally had to pause play a couple of times. Sure it is unrealistic in relation to how the military really is, but it is not a documentary or a drama, its a comedy and it works perfectly that way. The cast is fantastic and they work extremely well together. Fox left the best for last. This should have aired during the week. What were they thinking? Hope it makes it.

10. Kristina says:

Casting is good. I think it has promise.

11. jenna says:

I love scrubs and cougar town so I knew I’d turn into the premiere once I heard it was kevin biegel’s project. Am really impressed how solid the story seems from just the pilot alone, love the dynamic between the 3 brothers

12. Shashwat says:

A 23 minute recruitment ad

13. Anne in FL says:

Much too slap-stick and dumb humor for my taste. I recognized and wished well for Geoff, but it will llikely go away after several episodes — and never be remembered.

14. Joey says:

I liked the first episode. It was good and funny. Looking forward to watching the show more.

15. Babybop says:

I laughed so hard at his “apology”. Liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I’ll definitely tune in next week!

• rowan77 says:

I also thought the show was much better than I thought it would be and will be watching again, but Fox in their lack of support for the show, but it’s on the night that most of their target demo go out. Brilliant Fox. How about finding a better spot during the week? This show deserves a chance – it’s very funny.

16. David4 says:

Best new comedy of the year and Fox is too stupid to see it. Dads and Mindy should get shoved to the Fridays and die a slow painful death and Enlisted and Raising Hope be moved to Tuesdays.

Such a shame we will probably only get like 5 episodes of Enlisted before it’s pulled.

17. yup says:

I expected nothing from this, and it turns out it’s the best comedy pilot of the season. Why on earth would Fox put this on Fridays instead of their other mediocre Tuesday comedies?

18. Magali says:

This show should replace Dads on Tuesdays ASAP.

19. Good chemistry, some jokes work pretty well, but the overall script felt a bit lackluster at points. Still the setting is established so I’m hoping the next few episodes will be able to cut loose. Pilots can be rocky when you have to be funny and create a setting.

20. wordsmith says:

The cast and the editing really elevated the writing – the comedic timing was just impeccable overall. Pleasantly surprised.

21. Kim R says:

I really enjoyed it. Funny and heart warming, a great combo. Kind of like The Goldberg’s in that respect. I think it has great potential. :D

22. alistaircrane says:

I’m not a fan of any country’s military (they are state-sanctioned murderers), so this was tough to sit through even though I’m a fan of Chris Lowell and Kevin Biegel.

• John 1138 says:

Why would you have tuned in at all? I hate hospital shows with their death/tragedy of the week and avoid new one’s pilots like the exploitive vermin they are.

I like straight up comedy so I did watch this one, had it been set in a hospital or other medical setting I’d have just never gone near it. You otoh chose to watch sanctioned murderers for possible comedic entertainment? Puzzling.

Well, of course, to each their own.

• lindasays says:

Spoken like one with freedom as a birth right? Seriously? Move to Anywhere but here.

23. Greg says:

Nope, not impressed at all. Not funny.

24. Jared says:

Great comedy horrible time slot.

25. Susan says:

Funny show – very talented cast – lots of potential – enjoyed it – terrible time slot!

26. Sonia says:

Great first episode!! I was excited for this show as I love Chris Lowell (from many things starting with VM) and Geoff Stults (oh 7th Heaven). I so was delighted that the show lived up to my own hype. I was actually laughing out loud. I really hope it sticks around!!
    Fox’s needs to smarten up and move this great show to a better time slot. Comedies just don’t seem to work on Fridays anymore. Fingers crossed!!

27. lucy says:

so pleasantly surprised by this! will definitely be tuning in every week!

28. Leah says:

Aw, I enjoyed it. I was going to pass, since the premiere was rescheduled and they gave it a Friday timeslot (let’s face it, not exactly a vote of confidence). But I saw it got pretty good reviews and gave it a shot. I’d rather watch it on Tuesday than Friday, though.

29. cuius says:

Sure wasn’t a Bilko or Mash – an OK at best

30. Mark says:

I loved it. Best new comedy of the 13-14 season. Wish ratings were better because I think there’s lots of potential there. I’ll definitely be back next week.

31. Peter Noff says:

Should be on a better night than Friday. Good cast. Sargent Cody my favorite.

32. Kristi says:

It has great potential! Great cast and good writers. Sure they didn’t follow all the “rules” for being in uniform etc but like someone said in another comment it is a sitcom – for entertainment. It reminded me of the movie with Bill Murray Stripes in a 30 min format. Hopefully Fox will give it a chance and the fans will start watching. It really is a show to tune in for.

33. frog212 says:

What the hell? I like Derrick but I hate Piz can’t believe they are the same person!

34. Diz says:

So much hype on this site for this show and I thought it sucked. Will give it 1 more try next week, but I barely laughed this time around. It was just dumb and not dumb funny.

35. Magically Suspicious says:

SO funny. Thank you for putting this show on my radar, TVLine. I’m not sure I would have watched otherwise. Now I am hooked.

36. Sly says:

Perhaps the worst show I’ve seen this year.

37. jon o'brien says:

i HAD TO TURN IT OFF IT WAS JUST TOO STUPID TO WATCH. iT’S AN INSULT TO THE AMERICAN MILITARY !

38. Jamey says:

Can I say that I think FOX brass are just idiots… It was funny and has great potential. More than I thought initially with B99, which I enjoy! I am sure it will get cancelled but it will be due to FOX’s stupidity and how they handled this. Glad I don’t have stock in FOX, nor will I.

39. William Harris says:

As an active duty military member I can say Enlisted is the dumbest show I have seen. It makes a mockery of the military and adds absolutely no realism. Now I understand it’s about the Army which by itself is pretty bad but even the Army is better than this show.