Boardwalk Empire's End Date Announced: Season 5 Will Be HBO Drama's Last

boardwalk-empire-season-4-finale-recapEven Prohibition had to end, Nucky: Boardwalk Empire‘s upcoming fifth season will be its last, HBO announced Thursday.

The Emmy-winning drama’s final season will bow this fall.

RELATED | Boardwalk Empire Creator Terence Winter Reveals Why [Spoiler] Had to Die and Who Will (and Won’t) Be Back for Season 5

“After much discussion with my creative team and HBO, we’ve decided to wrap the series after such a great run and look forward to bringing it to a powerful and exciting conclusion,” series creator Terence Winter said in a statement.

1. Renee says:

I am disappointed. It seems like one episode came on for season 5 and that was it! I mainly purchased HBO for Boardwalk and a few other series. The movies play again and again. I enjoy seeing something different every week!! I wish you would bring back empire!! What happened!!!

• Sandi Greever says:

they will bring it back for its last season around end of Aug. or Sept. and usually they run their course about end of Nov. and it will be over. 10 shows or so. It is on berak right now. But it will be back so it can finish up the series.

2. Nanci says:

First you end the Sopranos and now Boardwalk Empire!! Really disappointed in HBO. There is so little great adult programming left.

3. Ginger Brand says:

This makes me sick! I love the show. With very little good entertainment left on tv nowdays, we will surely miss our “Boardwalk”.

4. Diana Garcia says:

Empire Boardwalk one of the best
    Hope coming back pretty soon

5. LJ says:

With the cancellation of Boardwalk Empire, now Bill Maher is the only reason for me to keep HBO.

6. Broadwalk empire, very good, nobody can touch The sopranos, Game of Thrones very good , its getting there, just wanted know are there any africa americans series, or movies, eddie Murphy, playing marion barry,&spike lee Directing, Thank you!!

7. Liz Traskos says:

no! no! no! why all the good shows?

8. Lori says:

Looked forward to Sunday nights to watch Boardwalk Empire. Sorry this fall will be the last season, it was a great show!!!!

9. Tomeka Lewis says:

Loved boardwalk empire…hate to see it end!

10. Jose says:

This show is probably is in the top 3 on TV. It’s a shame it has to go. I can’t imagine the rating dropping for a show this good, but that’s how it goes sometimes (e.g. Deadwood).

11. Jose B says:

They should not cancel this show. It’s one of the few shows worth watching.

12. Debbie L. says:

I am sadden to learn that one of my favorite shows is ending after this 5th season. It is so hard to find great dramatic scripted shows and now not only is BE ending, so it TB. Although TB has had many mory seasons. I feel the award shows were a joke and BE never really got rewarded with the great cast, directors, producer, costumes and sets just to name a few that brought this
    show to life.
    What I have a hard time with is when good quality programming gets cancelled yet there continues to be a lot of “reality shows” that just keep going on and on. I only watch a few of the so called reality programs that have been on for a long time, but TV is becoming a wasteland of reality shows. As far as good shows, there are just a few really good dramas left and the same goes with comedy.
    Someone else commented about a spin off perhaps for BE with Capone and few other gangsters. I would be all for it. Especially if they got the same actors from BE to play their respective roles.
    Networks~you need to wake up and see what you are doing! If you really think that the American public want more reality crap, your dead wrong. I realize you SAVE money by doing these type of shows. But enough is enough already!

13. Melissa G. M. says:

Well I’m a bit disappointed, I feel there is quite a few years that they still need to cover. Hopefully a spin off? HBO is infamous for doing this, they get you hooked and then tell you to bug off.. Well I hope Game of Thrones isn’t next on the chopping block. I would like to see that one at least run through the books.

14. What a bummer! We really enjoyed Boardwalk. Such a great historical fiction series…

15. Gloria Holmes says:

Nooooo!!!!!! Why!!!!!!

16. I will be sorry to see the show end, but it told me something when they killed off their most interesting character – which was Richard Harrow. It’s like the writers just quit trying.

17. Aviola says:

This was one of my favorite shows and I will miss it!!

18. cindi says:

nooooooooooo!!!! i am devastated. This show has been one of the best i have ever seen. I have watched it from day 1, totally enchanted by the story and characters. I feel like i know them all so well. Main actor Steve, has been exceptional as have all the other. i have dreaded hearing that it will end and now it will. And yes im glad it wont run on til its just another tv show, and we will get to say good bye but its oh so bittersweet.

19. pokey says:

So sad to hear! I have enjoyed this show so much!

20. Lupe says:

Wow real gangsters lives origin with likes of Nucky ,., etc. and continued with like stories living out ther days till ages of 70s passing on their wisdom,, would have followed ..,…

21. Barry fuller says:

The best thing on tv for decades.

22. Mark says:

It wasn’t “cancelled” – they just decided to end it. Get it right.

23. biofilo says:

So far season five has sucked , I guess like all other HBO shows the end will be a disappointment and let down here also.