Amazon Owns Your Veronica Mars Binge-Watch

Get More: News

Veronica Mars Amazon PrimeIf you were planning on a Veronica Mars-athon in preparation for the cult hit’s March 14 big-screen debut, and you don’t have the DVD set handy, you will want to make sure your Amazon Prime sub is in good standing.

RELATED | Veronica Mars Pilot Recap: She’s a Marshmallow

Amazon announced on Thursday that its Prime Instant Video service has secured exclusive online streaming rights to all three seasons of V. Mars, effective today.

Meaning, the likes of Netflix, Vudu and other streaming services will be fresh out of Marshmallows.

“The Veronica Mars series has been popular on DVD and Amazon Instant Video for years, so we know how much Amazon customers love this iconic television show,” Amazon exec Brad Beale said in a statement. “We are excited to become the exclusive subscription streaming home for Veronica Mars and to be able to offer the entire TV series to Prime members to enjoy at no additional charge.”

VIDEO | The Veronica Mars Movie Trailer — Could It Also Bring In Non-Fans?

Were you planning on a Mars catch-up session during the next two months? And for the Neptune noobs not wanting to head into the movie cold, what “essential” episodes would you recommend?

Comments (62)

• Seems kinda rude, but hey! I own the DVDs.

Comment by Amanda – January 9, 2014 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I may have to get around to watching this show now. I’ve meant to for years but it always gets pushed back.

Comment by Mark – January 9, 2014 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually own the DVDs, but I’d much rather stream online! Thank you Amazon!!

Comment by Poppy – January 9, 2014 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • same here!

Comment by Elyse – January 9, 2014 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d much rather watch on Blu-ray! Bring on the blu-rays! With all the talk about it now, now is the time.

DVD is ancient tech and streaming video has poor picture and audio quality compared to Blu-ray (and streaming stuff that could be watched on disc just eats up internet bandwidth so it becomes slow and costly).

Comment by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvxyz – January 9, 2014 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAYYYYYYY. i’ve been waiting so patiently for SOMEONE to acquire the rights! already an amazon prime member, so i know what i’m doing after i finish rewatching the office :)

Comment by e – January 9, 2014 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great news!
    I recently tried to get the first season of DVD’s through Netflix and the status was “Very Long Wait”.

Comment by Kevin – January 9, 2014 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They use to have it, but lost the right to it a couple of years ago I believe….

Comment by miynga – January 9, 2014 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, I first started watching Veronica Mars on Netflix, and that’s how I became a fan. Luckily, I have Amazon and can rewatch the series!

Comment by kimberly – January 9, 2014 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They never lose the rights to rent discs only to stream various things. Just one more reason why streaming services stink compared to discs. Streaming has poor picture and audio compared to Blu-ray and you never know when one service will suddenly lose rights or decide to put something back in the vault for ages.

Comment by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvxyz – January 9, 2014 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now that SoapNet is gone, Pivot will have VM on cable TV but only 1 episode per day at 11pm and 8am

Comment by drhenning – January 9, 2014 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I bought the seasons on DVD when I first found out about the movie! so glad I can stream them from amazon though. It’s so much easier and I don’t have to worry about scratched discs. now I just need to find something to do with my DVDs.

Comment by Elyse – January 9, 2014 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is unfortunate is that Amazon Prime Instant Video is only available in the US (as far as I know, I DO know it’s not available in Canada), where the Kickstarter campaign has followers and fans from across the globe. I’m in Canada and I’ve had the DVD’s for years, but it’s unfortunate that other companies that are more available globally (i.e. Netflix) didn’t get the show. A lot of people will be missing out on all the VM greatness.

Comment by Becky – January 9, 2014 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well there are times Netflix in other countries get titles that US don’t due to someone else owning the rights (e.g. in the UK we get HBO titles as we don’t have whatever HBO On Demand is called). Perhaps something like this will happen.

Last I checked it was on the Swedish Netflix, but not listed on Moreflicks anymore so unsure if its still available.

Comment by Ashley – January 9, 2014 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s easy to switch your IP address and such, but not everyone knows how to do that, I know I watch Netflix in tons of ‘countries’ being in Canada, just by switching my IP. I just feel like Amazon Prime is really limiting because it’s not even OFFERED in many countries, it JUST came to Canada and it’s very bare bones in that it’s just the shipping that’s available.

Comment by Becky – January 9, 2014 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t see HBO shows on my Netflix in the UK…!?

Comment by EssBee – January 9, 2014 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • EssBee – google modifying your IP address, there are a ton of website that will help you change your IP so you can access different websites in different countries that you may not have been able to see video on before.

Comment by Becky – January 9, 2014 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sorry I was getting muddled up with Showtime. I guess HBO shows are tied up with Sky Atlantic now.

Comment by Ashley – January 9, 2014 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you can always add the extension holaunblocker and it changes your country from whatever it is to whatever you want it to be. Hope it works.

Comment by chellie – February 4, 2014 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe if the film does well enough we can hope for a 24 like re-start?

Comment by English (@dancingwishy) – January 9, 2014 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think so. I think Kristen Bell gave an interview where she said her contract with House of Lies prevents her from starring on any other shows. She can do guest spots (like on Parks and Rec) but she wouldn’t be able to do another show.

Comment by madhatter360 – January 9, 2014 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, she said that her contract doesn’t allow her to do other shows broadcast on tv, she could definitly do a new season of VM if it”s distributed online, like on netflix or amazon.

Comment by malikb – January 12, 2014 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really hope this a one of movie reunion… VM was great season 1, very good season 2, and so-so season 3… It would have been interesting to see that VM FBI agent show but it didn’t happen… We just need to enjoy this movie to see our characters 10 years later… KB has moved on to other shows (House of Lies) and some movies.. The biggest movie start to come out of VM was never alive during its run ( Amanda Seyfried) unless you count Harry Hamlin(Perseus)…

Comment by drhenning – January 9, 2014 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope this brings in some new fans before the movie.

Comment by Lecholls – January 9, 2014 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why would online streaming sites carry marshmallows? Even if they did, why would it matter? There’d be no way to get them.

Comment by Sebastian – January 9, 2014 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thanks for the laugh.

Comment by Amanda M. – January 9, 2014 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re welcome. I am serious about the background question, though. What do marshmallows have to do with the subject of the article?

Comment by Sebastian – January 9, 2014 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m going to assume this is an honest question and tell you that that Marshmallows is the nickname of the hardcore fans of the show.

Comment by Cameron – January 9, 2014 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yeah, I didn’t know that. Wouldn’t Martian be a better riff on the show’s name? Or is there some other origin to the word?

Comment by Sebastian – January 9, 2014 11:10 AM PDT
          • In the first episode Veronica helps Wallace with an issue, in the end he says she’s a Marshmellow… meaning she’s a softy, not as hard as she lets on, but you’d have to see the show to get it in better context.

Comment by Becky – January 9, 2014 11:14 AM PDT
          • He called her a Twinkie in the same breath, so why not use that? I think it’s a weak reason, and Martian would still be better. Or if you wanna get funny, Warrior, as in one who prays at the alter of Mars.

Comment by Sebastian – January 9, 2014 11:40 AM PDT
    • and to add on, the last lines of the Pilot episode are Veronica saying:
      “I used to think I knew what tore our family apart. Now I’m sure I don’t. But I promise this: I will find out what really happened, and I will bring this family back together again. I’m sorry, is that mushy? Well, you know what they say. Veronica Mars, she’s a marshmallow.”

It connects to Veronica’s underlying emotions and has depth in its meaning.

I feel like Martian seems too obvious of a nickname, marshmallow is a lot more quirky. Plus “Mars” is in the word MARShmallow.

Comment by ZmaX – January 9, 2014 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Netflix was streaming Veronica Mars a couple years ago, that’s how I was able to watch all three seasons, but like many other shows, it must have expired. I made sure to buy the DVDs though, they are worthy additions to anyone’s collection, I just wish they were available on bluray.

Comment by Marc – January 9, 2014 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The quality on Amazon Prime is very high… Watched a few of season 1 and it was of high quality, better than when it was on TV since the network it was on (UPN) wasn’t broadcast in HD in my market in those days… I believe it was broadcast in HD in the few markets that had it for the UPN outlet in 2005..

Comment by drhenning – January 9, 2014 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is good news. Based on the movie trailer I saw last week, I decided to see who streamed this show and was disappointed neither Netflix or Prime did. I have since borrowed (and finished) season one from someone, but S2 & 3 will be much easier now.

Comment by MDEP – January 9, 2014 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have Amazon Prime & just searched for VM to watch the other day. So, yay, thank you.

Comment by Eliza – January 9, 2014 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I JUST bought the DVDs on Friday because I couldn’t find it streaming online… sonofa….

Comment by Chris – January 9, 2014 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The DVD’s have bonus features I’m sure won’t be online. They’re a good buy!

Comment by Becky – January 9, 2014 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AFAIK only the DVDs have the director’s cut of the first episode. So you have that at least out of your purchase hah. (and a few extras here and there)

(Plus the streaming services keep buy and losing rights all the time and sometimes stuff disappears from all services for years, at least with the discs you have them and are not at the mercy of the next deal or decision.)

It’s awesome Amazon is streaming them, but it doesn’t hurt to own the discs IMO. I just wish they’d release them on Blu-ray instead of doing nothing but all these iTunes and streaming deals.

Comment by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvxyz – January 9, 2014 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not a great move. Not alot of people have Amazon Prime the creators/studio should have worked out a better deal and got the 3 seasons onto Netflix considering everyone pretty much has that. Bad business move

Comment by ggny – January 9, 2014 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, you can’t really say that unless you know how much Amazon paid them for it. Could be a great business move.

Comment by Cameron – January 9, 2014 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s exactly right… All that stuff on Prime is paid for by Amazon based on hits… If you buy anything from Amazon, AP is a no brainer now that they are getting more and more exclusive stuff…

Not sure of what is exclusive but I think shows like Under the Dome and Covert Affairs are exclusive to Amazon for free and not on Netflix.. Now Veronica Mars..

Comment by drhenning – January 9, 2014 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Justified is also a Prime exclusive. Its not a dumb move at all. More and more people are using prime. I have both Prime and Netflix and if something is on both, I watch it on Prime. The video quality is superior for sure.

Comment by JeniLee – January 10, 2014 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you Amazon!

Comment by Mary – January 9, 2014 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why all the hype about this tv show?If it was that good that shouldn’t be cancelled right?

Comment by Douglas from Brazil – January 9, 2014 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There have been a number of very good shows that were canceled prematurely for various reasons. Some were showing on what I would call outlier networks such as UPN and did not have ratings numbers, but later became cult classics. Two of which I can think of off the top of my head are Freaks and Geeks and Firefly. Veronica Mars fall directly into this category.

Comment by HAP – January 9, 2014 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I had never heard of Firefly until after it was canceled and that’s only because a friend introduced me to the show via DVD. Veronica Mars was one of those shows that most people wrote off as another teen soap opera without ever watching it.

Comment by Mary – January 9, 2014 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ??
      Lots of good things get cancelled and talented people in all works of life never make it, etc. etc. And don’t forget that often somewhat bland sometimes wins views. Life ain’t fair as they say.
      It also didn’t help that it was on stations that less people get and ones that seem/ed to never be able to catch as much attention. And it certainly didn’t help that the station it was on for the third season was being marketed as a special station for pre-teen and teen girls which probably scared a lot of the potential viewership for the CW away. Oh and they also made the show appear to be quite different from what it really was in the marketing for it. My friends thought it was a cutesy little show written for middle school kids.

Comment by someone – January 9, 2014 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! :)

Comment by JC – January 9, 2014 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Literally bought the seasons digitally since they weren’t anywhere streaming for free a few months ago. First time around I watched them on Netflix now I have them on Amazon. Happy that other people will be able to catch up on a great show!

Comment by Dani – January 9, 2014 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish the show got this much buzz when it was on the air…oh, fourth season, how I would have loved to have watched you!

Comment by Jill – January 9, 2014 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank goodness I managed to catch all three seasons on SoapNet before it went poof. I guess I zoned out on season three because it was better than I remembered.

Comment by leo21 – January 9, 2014 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting
    my own weblog and was wondering what all is needed to get setup?
    I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?
    I’m not very web savvy so I’m not 100% certain. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comment by Gabrielle – January 10, 2014 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes!! I just went looking for this on Netflix on Monday and was disappointed not to find it streaming on any service. I had to put myself on my library’s waiting list for the DVDs. I have not seen the series and wanted to watch it. It must be good if a movie is coming out all these years later. Plus I love Kristen Bell!

Comment by Kella – January 11, 2014 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My brother suggested I might like this web site. He was totally right.

This post truly made my day. You can not imagine
    simply how much time I had spent for this information!
    Thanks!

Comment by todotunezcom – January 16, 2014 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this, like you wrote
    the book in it or something. I think that you can do with some pics
    to drive the message home a little bit, but instead of that, this is great blog.
    A fantastic read. I’ll certainly be back.

Comment by Marcelo – January 26, 2014 11:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in reality was once a leisure account it.
    Glance advanced to far added agreeable from you! By the way, how can we be in contact?

Comment by storage trailers – February 1, 2014 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems with
    hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended
    up losing many months of hard work due to no back up. Do
    you have any solutions to stop hackers?

Comment by Auto repair delray Beach – February 20, 2014 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • s a down side to the availability of digital content, and that.
    By this, you’re reinforcing that negativity and attracting to yourself MORE.
    Body Language is nonverbal, usually unconscious, communication by making use of postures, gestures,
    and facial expressions.

Comment by Selma – April 7, 2014 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fine way of telling, and good piece of writing to get data concerning my presentation subject,
    which i am going to present in school.

Comment by Sheldon – April 16, 2014 01:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post