Amazon Owns Your Veronica Mars Binge-Watch

Veronica Mars Amazon PrimeIf you were planning on a Veronica Mars-athon in preparation for the cult hit’s March 14 big-screen debut, and you don’t have the DVD set handy, you will want to make sure your Amazon Prime sub is in good standing.

RELATED | Veronica Mars Pilot Recap: She’s a Marshmallow

Amazon announced on Thursday that its Prime Instant Video service has secured exclusive online streaming rights to all three seasons of V. Mars, effective today.

Meaning, the likes of Netflix, Vudu and other streaming services will be fresh out of Marshmallows.

“The Veronica Mars series has been popular on DVD and Amazon Instant Video for years, so we know how much Amazon customers love this iconic television show,” Amazon exec Brad Beale said in a statement. “We are excited to become the exclusive subscription streaming home for Veronica Mars and to be able to offer the entire TV series to Prime members to enjoy at no additional charge.”

VIDEO | The Veronica Mars Movie Trailer — Could It Also Bring In Non-Fans?

Were you planning on a Mars catch-up session during the next two months? And for the Neptune noobs not wanting to head into the movie cold, what “essential” episodes would you recommend?

1. Amanda says:

Seems kinda rude, but hey! I own the DVDs.

2. Mark says:

I may have to get around to watching this show now. I’ve meant to for years but it always gets pushed back.

3. Poppy says:

I actually own the DVDs, but I’d much rather stream online! Thank you Amazon!!

• Elyse says:

same here!

• abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvxyz says:

I’d much rather watch on Blu-ray! Bring on the blu-rays! With all the talk about it now, now is the time.

DVD is ancient tech and streaming video has poor picture and audio quality compared to Blu-ray (and streaming stuff that could be watched on disc just eats up internet bandwidth so it becomes slow and costly).

4. e says:

YAYYYYYYY. i’ve been waiting so patiently for SOMEONE to acquire the rights! already an amazon prime member, so i know what i’m doing after i finish rewatching the office :)

5. Kevin says:

This is great news!
    I recently tried to get the first season of DVD’s through Netflix and the status was “Very Long Wait”.

• miynga says:

They use to have it, but lost the right to it a couple of years ago I believe….

• kimberly says:

Yes, I first started watching Veronica Mars on Netflix, and that’s how I became a fan. Luckily, I have Amazon and can rewatch the series!

• abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvxyz says:

They never lose the rights to rent discs only to stream various things. Just one more reason why streaming services stink compared to discs. Streaming has poor picture and audio compared to Blu-ray and you never know when one service will suddenly lose rights or decide to put something back in the vault for ages.

6. drhenning says:

Now that SoapNet is gone, Pivot will have VM on cable TV but only 1 episode per day at 11pm and 8am

7. Elyse says:

I bought the seasons on DVD when I first found out about the movie! so glad I can stream them from amazon though. It’s so much easier and I don’t have to worry about scratched discs. now I just need to find something to do with my DVDs.

8. Becky says:

What is unfortunate is that Amazon Prime Instant Video is only available in the US (as far as I know, I DO know it’s not available in Canada), where the Kickstarter campaign has followers and fans from across the globe. I’m in Canada and I’ve had the DVD’s for years, but it’s unfortunate that other companies that are more available globally (i.e. Netflix) didn’t get the show. A lot of people will be missing out on all the VM greatness.

• Ashley says:

Well there are times Netflix in other countries get titles that US don’t due to someone else owning the rights (e.g. in the UK we get HBO titles as we don’t have whatever HBO On Demand is called). Perhaps something like this will happen.

Last I checked it was on the Swedish Netflix, but not listed on Moreflicks anymore so unsure if its still available.

• Becky says:

It’s easy to switch your IP address and such, but not everyone knows how to do that, I know I watch Netflix in tons of ‘countries’ being in Canada, just by switching my IP. I just feel like Amazon Prime is really limiting because it’s not even OFFERED in many countries, it JUST came to Canada and it’s very bare bones in that it’s just the shipping that’s available.

• EssBee says:

I don’t see HBO shows on my Netflix in the UK…!?

• Becky says:

EssBee – google modifying your IP address, there are a ton of website that will help you change your IP so you can access different websites in different countries that you may not have been able to see video on before.

• Ashley says:

Sorry I was getting muddled up with Showtime. I guess HBO shows are tied up with Sky Atlantic now.

• chellie says:

you can always add the extension holaunblocker and it changes your country from whatever it is to whatever you want it to be. Hope it works.

9. English (@dancingwishy) says:

Maybe if the film does well enough we can hope for a 24 like re-start?

• madhatter360 says:

I don’t think so. I think Kristen Bell gave an interview where she said her contract with House of Lies prevents her from starring on any other shows. She can do guest spots (like on Parks and Rec) but she wouldn’t be able to do another show.

• malikb says:

Actually, she said that her contract doesn’t allow her to do other shows broadcast on tv, she could definitly do a new season of VM if it”s distributed online, like on netflix or amazon.

• drhenning says:

I really hope this a one of movie reunion… VM was great season 1, very good season 2, and so-so season 3… It would have been interesting to see that VM FBI agent show but it didn’t happen… We just need to enjoy this movie to see our characters 10 years later… KB has moved on to other shows (House of Lies) and some movies.. The biggest movie start to come out of VM was never alive during its run ( Amanda Seyfried) unless you count Harry Hamlin(Perseus)…

10. Lecholls says:

I hope this brings in some new fans before the movie.

11. Sebastian says:

Why would online streaming sites carry marshmallows? Even if they did, why would it matter? There’d be no way to get them.

• Amanda M. says:

Thanks for the laugh.

• Sebastian says:

You’re welcome. I am serious about the background question, though. What do marshmallows have to do with the subject of the article?

• Cameron says:

I’m going to assume this is an honest question and tell you that that Marshmallows is the nickname of the hardcore fans of the show.

• Sebastian says:

Yeah, I didn’t know that. Wouldn’t Martian be a better riff on the show’s name? Or is there some other origin to the word?

• Becky says:

In the first episode Veronica helps Wallace with an issue, in the end he says she’s a Marshmellow… meaning she’s a softy, not as hard as she lets on, but you’d have to see the show to get it in better context.

• Sebastian says:

He called her a Twinkie in the same breath, so why not use that? I think it’s a weak reason, and Martian would still be better. Or if you wanna get funny, Warrior, as in one who prays at the alter of Mars.

• ZmaX says:

and to add on, the last lines of the Pilot episode are Veronica saying:
      “I used to think I knew what tore our family apart. Now I’m sure I don’t. But I promise this: I will find out what really happened, and I will bring this family back together again. I’m sorry, is that mushy? Well, you know what they say. Veronica Mars, she’s a marshmallow.”

It connects to Veronica’s underlying emotions and has depth in its meaning.

I feel like Martian seems too obvious of a nickname, marshmallow is a lot more quirky. Plus “Mars” is in the word MARShmallow.

12. Marc says:

Netflix was streaming Veronica Mars a couple years ago, that’s how I was able to watch all three seasons, but like many other shows, it must have expired. I made sure to buy the DVDs though, they are worthy additions to anyone’s collection, I just wish they were available on bluray.

• drhenning says:

The quality on Amazon Prime is very high… Watched a few of season 1 and it was of high quality, better than when it was on TV since the network it was on (UPN) wasn’t broadcast in HD in my market in those days… I believe it was broadcast in HD in the few markets that had it for the UPN outlet in 2005..

13. MDEP says:

This is good news. Based on the movie trailer I saw last week, I decided to see who streamed this show and was disappointed neither Netflix or Prime did. I have since borrowed (and finished) season one from someone, but S2 & 3 will be much easier now.

14. Eliza says:

I have Amazon Prime & just searched for VM to watch the other day. So, yay, thank you.

15. Chris says:

I JUST bought the DVDs on Friday because I couldn’t find it streaming online… sonofa….

• Becky says:

The DVD’s have bonus features I’m sure won’t be online. They’re a good buy!

• abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvxyz says:

AFAIK only the DVDs have the director’s cut of the first episode. So you have that at least out of your purchase hah. (and a few extras here and there)

(Plus the streaming services keep buy and losing rights all the time and sometimes stuff disappears from all services for years, at least with the discs you have them and are not at the mercy of the next deal or decision.)

It’s awesome Amazon is streaming them, but it doesn’t hurt to own the discs IMO. I just wish they’d release them on Blu-ray instead of doing nothing but all these iTunes and streaming deals.

16. ggny says:

Not a great move. Not alot of people have Amazon Prime the creators/studio should have worked out a better deal and got the 3 seasons onto Netflix considering everyone pretty much has that. Bad business move

• Cameron says:

Well, you can’t really say that unless you know how much Amazon paid them for it. Could be a great business move.

• drhenning says:

That’s exactly right… All that stuff on Prime is paid for by Amazon based on hits… If you buy anything from Amazon, AP is a no brainer now that they are getting more and more exclusive stuff…

Not sure of what is exclusive but I think shows like Under the Dome and Covert Affairs are exclusive to Amazon for free and not on Netflix.. Now Veronica Mars..

• JeniLee says:

Justified is also a Prime exclusive. Its not a dumb move at all. More and more people are using prime. I have both Prime and Netflix and if something is on both, I watch it on Prime. The video quality is superior for sure.

17. Mary says:

Thank you Amazon!

18. Douglas from Brazil says:

Why all the hype about this tv show?If it was that good that shouldn’t be cancelled right?

• HAP says:

There have been a number of very good shows that were canceled prematurely for various reasons. Some were showing on what I would call outlier networks such as UPN and did not have ratings numbers, but later became cult classics. Two of which I can think of off the top of my head are Freaks and Geeks and Firefly. Veronica Mars fall directly into this category.

• Mary says:

I had never heard of Firefly until after it was canceled and that’s only because a friend introduced me to the show via DVD. Veronica Mars was one of those shows that most people wrote off as another teen soap opera without ever watching it.

• someone says:

??
      Lots of good things get cancelled and talented people in all works of life never make it, etc. etc. And don’t forget that often somewhat bland sometimes wins views. Life ain’t fair as they say.
      It also didn’t help that it was on stations that less people get and ones that seem/ed to never be able to catch as much attention. And it certainly didn’t help that the station it was on for the third season was being marketed as a special station for pre-teen and teen girls which probably scared a lot of the potential viewership for the CW away. Oh and they also made the show appear to be quite different from what it really was in the marketing for it. My friends thought it was a cutesy little show written for middle school kids.

19. JC says:

Awesome! :)

20. Dani says:

Literally bought the seasons digitally since they weren’t anywhere streaming for free a few months ago. First time around I watched them on Netflix now I have them on Amazon. Happy that other people will be able to catch up on a great show!

21. Jill says:

I wish the show got this much buzz when it was on the air…oh, fourth season, how I would have loved to have watched you!

22. leo21 says:

Thank goodness I managed to catch all three seasons on SoapNet before it went poof. I guess I zoned out on season three because it was better than I remembered.

23. Gabrielle says:

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting
    my own weblog and was wondering what all is needed to get setup?
    I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?
    I’m not very web savvy so I’m not 100% certain. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

24. Kella says:

Yes!! I just went looking for this on Netflix on Monday and was disappointed not to find it streaming on any service. I had to put myself on my library’s waiting list for the DVDs. I have not seen the series and wanted to watch it. It must be good if a movie is coming out all these years later. Plus I love Kristen Bell!

25. todotunezcom says:

My brother suggested I might like this web site. He was totally right.

This post truly made my day. You can not imagine
    simply how much time I had spent for this information!
    Thanks!

26. Marcelo says:

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this, like you wrote
    the book in it or something. I think that you can do with some pics
    to drive the message home a little bit, but instead of that, this is great blog.
    A fantastic read. I’ll certainly be back.

27. Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in reality was once a leisure account it.
    Glance advanced to far added agreeable from you! By the way, how can we be in contact?

28. Hey! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems with
    hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended
    up losing many months of hard work due to no back up. Do
    you have any solutions to stop hackers?

29. Selma says:

s a down side to the availability of digital content, and that.
    By this, you’re reinforcing that negativity and attracting to yourself MORE.
    Body Language is nonverbal, usually unconscious, communication by making use of postures, gestures,
    and facial expressions.

30. Sheldon says:

Fine way of telling, and good piece of writing to get data concerning my presentation subject,
    which i am going to present in school.

31. If you want to grow your experience simply keep visiting this website and be updated with the newest information posted here.