Modern Family Books Trip to Australia

Get More: News

Modern Family Australia EpisodeModern Family is about to add a fun stamp to its collective passport: Australia.

PHOTOS | Winter TV Spoiler-palooza! Your Scoop-Filled Guide to 31 Returning Favorites

The ABC comedy, in partnership with Qantas airlines, is flying the cast, crew and showrunner Steven Levitan to the Land Down Under for two weeks in February to shoot a vacation episode that will air later this season.

“We loved the family vacation episodes we shot in Hawaii and Wyoming – this one is certainly our most ambitious yet,” Levitan acknowledges in a statement. “We promise to feature a kangaroo, a koala and a boomerang. I’m sure there will be lots more, but so far that’s all we know about Australia – our American school system is a disaster…. Plus it’ll be nice to go to a place where everyone looks like Hugh Jackman and Miranda Kerr.”

There’s no word on what, storylinewise, will precipitate/underwrite this pricey vacay — I tried to ballpark an airfare budget alone for the Pritchett-Dunphy-Tucker clans, but Orbitz can’t handle so large a mob — but if this isn’t the episode where the architect sketches finally get mixed up with a Yogi Bear poster, I’m out.

Comments (17)

• As an Australian, I still haven’t forgiven The Simpsons for that awful Bart vs. Australia, which couldn’t even manage to get the stereotypes correct. Here’s hoping this is a lot better.

Comment by Quang – January 8, 2014 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was even worse when the Simpsons went to India. It’s like the writers and animators used Alladin as a template which is set in the Middle East, not India!

Comment by Jay – January 8, 2014 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Brazil episode was offensive as well, but they bash their own american culture so much that you kinda laugh about it. Plus, MF doesn’t mock countries.

Comment by +1 – January 8, 2014 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Who cares about Brazil?

Comment by Douglas from Brazil – January 8, 2014 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Apparently you don’t, since you’re “Douglas from Brazil”. It was an example moron.

Comment by +1 – January 8, 2014 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh yeah, I’m happy to laugh at my own culture too but at least try and make it look like you’ve gone to the actual country you’re purporting to be in.

Comment by Jay – January 8, 2014 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When they put this show on the cable channels, I started to watch it because all of my prime time channel shows were being rerun. I love this show. It makes me laugh no matter what episode I watch and believe me I have watched these episodes quite a few times. I am now watching Modern Family on Wednesday nights. So with that, I cannot wait to see the Australian trip, it should be hysterical.

Comment by Pat – January 8, 2014 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. I wish I was as rich, or had family as rich, as this one. Maybe next year they will vacation in space.

Comment by David4 – January 8, 2014 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We aren’t here to whine, not hear you whine, about what you’re able to afford.

I love Modern Family. Iit shows a “modern” family that still has the old fashioned family traditions/values. What family didn’t take a vacation every year that almost resulted in murder?

Comment by Brad – January 8, 2014 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is soooo tired!

Comment by Jrs – January 8, 2014 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Emmys seem to think otherwise ;)

Comment by nosixseasons – January 8, 2014 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haters gonna hate, go back to your mom’s basement and watch Community

Comment by Larry – January 8, 2014 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m sorry… You’re defending this broad-minded, tired garbage that is Modern Family over COMMUNITY? How about you go and watch modern Family in your moms basement and NEVER COME BACK!

Comment by Eddie – January 9, 2014 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a nice job perk.

Comment by Francine – January 8, 2014 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “but if this isn’t the episode where the architect sketches finally get mixed up with a Yogi Bear poster, I’m out” ………….. maybe Luke & Manny can find a “lucky” aboriginal idol ………. cue the spooky tiki theme ;-)

Comment by LisaMBri – January 8, 2014 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And Bill Hader guest stars as Professor Hubert Whitehead.

Comment by wmjindsm – January 8, 2014 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post