Modern Family Books Trip to Australia

Modern Family Australia EpisodeModern Family is about to add a fun stamp to its collective passport: Australia.

PHOTOS | Winter TV Spoiler-palooza! Your Scoop-Filled Guide to 31 Returning Favorites

The ABC comedy, in partnership with Qantas airlines, is flying the cast, crew and showrunner Steven Levitan to the Land Down Under for two weeks in February to shoot a vacation episode that will air later this season.

“We loved the family vacation episodes we shot in Hawaii and Wyoming – this one is certainly our most ambitious yet,” Levitan acknowledges in a statement. “We promise to feature a kangaroo, a koala and a boomerang. I’m sure there will be lots more, but so far that’s all we know about Australia – our American school system is a disaster…. Plus it’ll be nice to go to a place where everyone looks like Hugh Jackman and Miranda Kerr.”

There’s no word on what, storylinewise, will precipitate/underwrite this pricey vacay — I tried to ballpark an airfare budget alone for the Pritchett-Dunphy-Tucker clans, but Orbitz can’t handle so large a mob — but if this isn’t the episode where the architect sketches finally get mixed up with a Yogi Bear poster, I’m out.

1. Quang says:

As an Australian, I still haven’t forgiven The Simpsons for that awful Bart vs. Australia, which couldn’t even manage to get the stereotypes correct. Here’s hoping this is a lot better.

• Jay says:

It was even worse when the Simpsons went to India. It’s like the writers and animators used Alladin as a template which is set in the Middle East, not India!

• +1 says:

The Brazil episode was offensive as well, but they bash their own american culture so much that you kinda laugh about it. Plus, MF doesn’t mock countries.

2. Pat says:

When they put this show on the cable channels, I started to watch it because all of my prime time channel shows were being rerun. I love this show. It makes me laugh no matter what episode I watch and believe me I have watched these episodes quite a few times. I am now watching Modern Family on Wednesday nights. So with that, I cannot wait to see the Australian trip, it should be hysterical.

3. David4 says:

Wow. I wish I was as rich, or had family as rich, as this one. Maybe next year they will vacation in space.

• Brad says:

We aren’t here to whine, not hear you whine, about what you’re able to afford.

I love Modern Family. Iit shows a “modern” family that still has the old fashioned family traditions/values. What family didn’t take a vacation every year that almost resulted in murder?

4. Jrs says:

This show is soooo tired!

5. Francine says:

What a nice job perk.

6. LisaMBri says:

“but if this isn’t the episode where the architect sketches finally get mixed up with a Yogi Bear poster, I’m out” ………….. maybe Luke & Manny can find a “lucky” aboriginal idol ………. cue the spooky tiki theme ;-)

7. wmjindsm says:

And Bill Hader guest stars as Professor Hubert Whitehead.