Ratings: Bachelor Returns Up But Castle Slips, Hostages Finale Down, Almost Human Rises

Ratings Bachelor PremiereABC has a Juan-ner on its hands with its new Bachelor.

The lonnnng-running dating series opened its new season on Monday to 8.5 million total viewers and a 2.7 rating, up 21 and 17 percent from the year-ago premiere and leading all of the night’s comers in the demo. The Bach’ also fueled ABC’s best Monday night of the 2013-14 season in the demo.

RELATED | The Bachelor Premiere: Best/Most Soul-Crushing Moments of Juan Pablo’s ¡’Aventura’!

RELATED | Castle Recap: RySpo Under Fire, Plus Baby Drama for Jenny!

Leading out of that, Castle retained 8.8 mil and a 1.8, down 23 and 14 percent from its fall finale, which aired out of a better-watched DWTS (14.6 million viewers).

RELATED | Poll: Did the Hostages Finale Tie Things Up Too Well?

Elsewhere, CBS’ Hostages finale drew 4.8 mil and a 1.0, down 6 percent and two tenths, and Fox’s Almost Human (6.2 mil/1.7) rose 17 percent and a tenth.

RELATED | Save the Dates! Your Guide to 75+ January Premieres, Finales and More

Comments (26)

• Glad to hear about “Almost Human”. I really hope it gets a second season. I’m enjoying it a lot.

Comment by Carrie – January 7, 2014 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Almost Human is my favorite new show this season.

Comment by Stacy – January 7, 2014 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Last night’s episode was great. Funny along with the COW. Michael Ealy really brought it with his “half charge”.

Comment by tp – January 7, 2014 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I loved this ep so much as well, (along with the series), however i think they kinda screwed themselves with the charge thing. I mean really…50% charge and hes having issues? I could understand if it was like 5 or 10% charge…but 50?! What doesnt work perfectly with a 50% charge right now in 2014? Nothing. And when they showed his charge dropping from climbing…from like 17% down to 0% in 5-10 minutes? Lol he drains faster than my cell phone watching youtube videos. So i guess the assumption is when he gets a 100% charge he only lasts about a day and a half? They screwed their mythology IMO. (Though they could fix it by saying a new tech advancement in batteries has been invented and update him and the charge lasts…lets say a week).

Comment by M3rc Nate – January 7, 2014 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Castle adjusts up, that was really a great episode.

Comment by Apples – January 7, 2014 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I missed Castle due to losing my electricity…bummed heard it was a great epidode. Have to find it online i guess

Comment by Ames – January 7, 2014 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • abc.com will have it.

Comment by Dark Defender – January 7, 2014 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • but only if you can verify that you subscribe to one of their authorized cable providers…if you’re a Time Warner customer, you have to wait until next week.

Comment by c-mo – January 7, 2014 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Interesting thing happened to me. I live in the US so get Castle Monday nights. As you all know it airs in Canada on Sundays. Monday morning, early, I was looking at HuluPlus and there was the new episode. Thought it was a mistake, but there it was-so I watched it Monday morning. Later that afternoon it was gone. Don’t know if anyone else ran into this. I watched it again at 10:00 pm :)

Comment by lkh – January 7, 2014 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Juan Pablo!!! The Bachelor!!!

Comment by Eric7740 – January 7, 2014 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle had one emotionally charged episode. I’m not sure that people even knew it was back. I think the bachelor is going to get even higher ratings in weeks to come. There is another special before revenge this sunday

Comment by Jake – January 7, 2014 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I didn’t know it was back. As a Florida State alum there was nothing else on as far as I was concerned. :) when I came home from watching the game, finding a new Castle on my dvr was a nice treat.

Comment by Aeol – January 7, 2014 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am not sure if I’m alone in this, but if I’m not alone, I think I might know why CASTLE slipped.

BACHELOR appeared just fine when I saw it surfing during ads and at the tale end before CASTLE started at 10:01. But literally to the second, as soon as CASTLE was supposed to+ start, ABC went dead. I checked the non-HD and it was also dead. Every other station was fine and worked clearly.

I gave up after a few minutes, rolled my wheelchair in my bedroom to check the antenna based CRT and it was working fine there. Checked back at the opening credits, still gone, so I rebooted my cable box and went back. After the 20 minute reboot sequence, the show was back.

If I was not alone in this problem, many might not have been as stubborn as myself. I wondered, and still wonder, if this had anything to do with, “ABC to Limit Next-Day Viewing Online”. I know it was not online, but, still I wonder.

(forgive typos I missed, pls … weather is not good on my bones … all of them) :-)

Comment by PPPG – January 7, 2014 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle numbers are about the same as same time last year. Ep. 5×10 Significant others had 8.7/1.9. And generally Castle has the lowest numbers during December/January so lower ratings were to be expected even if the episode itself was quite good.

Comment by Saskatoon – January 7, 2014 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Plus, on Castle, word of mouth might have been gathering that the BCS game wasn’t a snoozer.

Comment by John 1138 – January 7, 2014 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And people probably switched to the national championship game. The second half started about the same time castle did. I still don’t understand why they air new episodes opposite sporting events. Matt, do you know will there be new episodes on opposite the olympics in February?

Comment by leigh – January 7, 2014 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched Almost Human last night. Show has some good potential, although it does seem like the keep reusing the same street in LA for everyoutside chase scene (they probably do but could do a better job of making it look different). Karl Urban is good, the robot is good. Very similar to Fringe in tone and themes.

Comment by cj – January 7, 2014 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yea yea I know demo is all important but Castle had the most viewers of any network show last night and we have to be concerned about renewal?? Sorry makes no sense.

Comment by Boiler – January 7, 2014 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, I don’t the show has to be concerned about renewal (ABC’s freshman drama failures have guaranteed its return, essentially). But it would still be nice for it to get better demo numbers.

Comment by Apples – January 7, 2014 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nothing much to worry about Castle. No matter how well Castle has been doing in the season before or how good the airing episodes might be (Under Fire was up there with the best of S6 so far), it always gets low ratings in the December-January period (no idea why..but it has happened since Season 2). Only reason we maintained excellent ratings this season immediately before the holidays was cause they finished airing in mid November.

Comment by Rich Abey – January 7, 2014 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the “glass half full” line TV By The Numbers takes. Castle was second in 18-49 viewers (granted, against reruns, mostly) and the most viewers overall. Perhaps, last night, there were a lot of people more worried about the frigid weather than about watching television? I know, they’re only about numbers, not about judgment…

Comment by arial2 – January 7, 2014 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What else are y

Comment by Aeol – January 7, 2014 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What else are you gonna do when it’s freezing outside but bundle up at home and watch TV?! :) I normally watch Castle live, but I did brave the cold last night to go out and watch the National Championship. New episode on my dvr was a nice surprise when I got home. And I’ve literally never watched the Bachelor before, but since I am truly stuck inside today, I watched that (and a lot of other crap) on Demand

Comment by Aeol – January 7, 2014 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The chemistry between the male cops on Almost Human is well done, hope the show sticks around!

Comment by DavidSask – January 7, 2014 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post