Ratings: Grimm Surges, Dracula Declines

Grimm - Season 3Grimm and The Carrie Diaries kicked off the first Friday of 2014 on a positive note, while Dracula continued its slow march toward cancellation.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

With ABC and CBS in reruns, Grimm averaged 5.5 million viewers and a 1.5 in the 18-49 demo at 9 pm for NBC, up 15 and 17 percent respectively from its most recent outing. Lead-out Dracula, however, sank 18 percent vs. its last new episode, drawing 2.9 million viewers and an 0.8 rating.

The night’s only other original scripted entry, The CW’s Carrie Diaries, climbed t1 million viewers and a 0.4 demo rating (up from 730K/0.3).

Fox won the night overall, powered by its telecast of The Cotton Bowl (7.3 mil/1.9, down from 2013’s 11.2 mil/3.1).

1. wrstlgirl says:

So disappointed in Dracula. I was really hoping for a good show considering the lead but it’s just awful. Happy for Grimm, love that show but I am a bit bored with the baby storyline.

• Cj says:

No way dracula is mesmerizing. Love everything about it. I do think at the end when he says he will kill van helsing was off because if not for van helsing bringing him back he wouldn’t have a chance at getting his love Mina back. Also it made renfield look dumb for losing the pairing but Draculas struggle to be a man and not a monster is great.

• wrstlgirl says:

I’m a huge Drac Vamp fan but this attempt is bad. I’m still watching but only to see how it ends.

• Carla says:

I absolutely love Dracula, and do not want to see it cancelled. I was very sad about Renfield’s character being killed off, I felt his character understood Dracula, that there was a real friendship there, and that Renfield is able to reason with the monstrous side of Dracula’s character. I was glad that the show did not revert back to cliches, or make them into comical characters. I loved that they breathed new life into the characters, I would think that if Dracula had survived for 500 years and had 15 years to learn everything there was about this new age of innovation, and had the monetary means, why wouldn’t he be a successful businessman, and have this fantastic human side about him, to love, and yearn to be human, even though he is so much more. I love all of the characters. One thing though I liked Dracula’s hair better at the beginning parted to the side, it seems in the subsequent episodes they were going for a more Bella Logosi look, Jonathan Rys Meyers is a handsome man, the Dracula character is stylish and impeccably dressed, let him be handsome as he is charismatic and sexy. I really hope NBC decides to renew it. Love the show!

2. alistaircrane says:

Dracula was only ever intended as a ten-episode limited series, so it won’t be cancelled, it will just come to its natural and planned end.

• CBWBDK1 says:

What are you talking about? Where did you come up with that? It’s absolute nonsense!

• alistaircrane says:

I have been following the Dracula project for over a year, and it has always been intended as a one-season limited series.

• CBWBDK1 says:

No, it wasn’t. It was intended to be multiple seasons.

• Bored Now says:

You’ve been following the project for a year and yet apparently know very little about it. It’s a limited series, meaning a shorter than usual (for a network show) season. It was never intended to be just one season.

Probably will be though.

• alistaircrane says:

That’s not what limited series means. It was only meant to be one season.

• Bored Now says:

In this case, as with Hannibal, Carrie Diaries and all other such cases, that is EXACTLY what limited series means. You never tire of stating incorrect information as fact, do you?

• alistaircrane says:

No, Bored Now, you’re wrong. “Limited series” is new industry speak for mini series. Dracula was always intended to only run for 10 episodes.

• Bored Now says:

Look, I’ve seen you posting on here before and so I know I’m wasting my time debating actual facts with you, as you seem to prefer your own opinions to reality, so I’m not going to waste my time beyond this comment. However, this is an extract from a Deadline article concerning last year’s CW renewals…

“And just like we predicted a month ago, the CW has renewed all of its existing series. The last to get the nod today are The Carrie Diaries and Nikita. The network is not confirming the sizes of the pickups, but Carrie’s is automatically a 13-episode order as it is a midseason show, and I hear Nikita will return for a six-episode cycle. I had heard that could be the final chapter for Nikita, though if the limited event series format works, the CW may leave the door open to additional installments. The network had been looking to break into the limited series format for the last couple of seasons. Carrie Diaries and Nikita join previously renewed Arrow, The Vampire Diaries, Supernatural, Hart Of Dixie and Beauty And The Beast.”

Now I’m going to presume that even you will have to concede that Deadline know their television related stuff. As you can see above, ‘limited series format’ refers to a show commissioned or renewed for a limited season, shorter than the network standard. It is in no way meant to suggest that the series will only have a single season, hence why in both cases it refers to shows already having more than one, in particular Nikita, just that the seasons it does get will be limited in length. In Carrie Diaries case, a guaranteed 13 last year.

• D.N. Simmons says:

I agree. If ppl remember correctly, Walking Dead was a limit series run for S1. It only had 6 episodes. Now look at it. Personally, I think NBC’s limited episodes actually hurt the story’s integrity. It’s like they’re rushing to wrap things up but still have so much more to tell. The writers pulled punches when they should have been swinging furiously. More gore, more action, more mischief, this is Dracula we’re talking about! I still love the show, but it’s seriously lacking, especially when it comes on after Grimm which has so much more action.

• Jen says:

Not sure if you have been watching lately but based on what is being aired you would be wrong, there is a cliff hanger ending thus more than 10 episodes!

• Lumi_o714 says:

I believe in the last episode at the end Harker is suppose to learn everything there is to kill Dracula… so what you’re saying makes no sense

3. Brendan says:

So sad about Dracula… I hope they can at least bring it to a satisfying conclusion before it gets canceled…

• alistaircrane says:

Dracula was always intended as a done-in-one limited series, so we will get resolution.

• Bored Now says:

Yeah, you just keep repeating that. If you do it often enough, it might suddenly be true…

• tarc says:

That would be because there is plenty of press that states the same thing.

• alistaircrane says:

Thank you!

• Bored Now says:

Most of that press got it wrong too, which is often the case with lazy internet journalism where stories are simply repeated over and over again from website to website. Dracula was given a one season, ten episode commitment, skipping the pilot process altogether. That is to say that is all it was initially given. There is no possibility in the world that the intention was that it had to be done in ten, no continuation. Had the ratings been good enough you can bet your life that season two would have been a certainty, same as any other show, and especially on NBC that needs as many hits as it can get.

As things stand the fans had just better hope that season one is going to see some closure because it’s very unlikely that a renewal will happen now.

• Cj says:

They talk about it being a limited series to entice viewers. They did the same thing with under the some. In truth they hope it will be a success so it can go on to more seasons.

• d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

While yes it is a limited series it wasn’t intended as one and done. A second season was always a possibility.

4. David says:

I was worried about the Friday 10pm slot for Hannibal when it was announced initially but it might end up doing okay there. It’s too good of a show to end before the natural conclusion and I’m thinking that it will pair well with Grimm and end up with better numbers for NBC even up against Blue Bloods.

5. ollie says:

Yea for tcd

6. DavidSask says:

Any small gain for Carrie Diaries is nice, I hope this show can live on even if not on CW!!!

7. Aleana says:

Please don’t cancel Dracula I happen to love this show if they do please end it nicely with Dracula and Mina together please NBC give it a chance don’t watch nothing at ten on Fridays look forward to the show

8. Dracula was a big disappointment. I couldn’t even make it through the first episode and I’m a big vampire fan.

9. Ava says:

I’ll echo what has been said: Dracula is a huge diaappointment. It had such potential.

• Cj says:

Sorry if it doesn’t have any sparkles.

• Bored Now says:

You think people are turning off because it isn’t like Twilight? Hardly! Twilight is about the only vampire related franchise that makes this dire attempt at Dracula look good.

Honestly, I’m a massive horror fan, both movies and tv shows, I’ve watched everything from Buffy to True Blood and all the vampire type flavours inbetween and I’ve never been more bored with a supernatural story than I have been with this version of Dracula. Except for Twilight… Obviously…

• AnnieM says:

The only thing I liked about this Dracula was the interesting twist on Renfield; the rest of it…meh. I’m glad that Grimm is doing so well; this season is so much better than last. The Christmas episode was great; looking very much forward to the inevitable sit-down between Nick and the Wesen Council. :-)

10. swag says:

According to Wikipedia NBC only ordered 10 episodes.

11. My Boys says:

I began reading your site shortly after it started and a fan from the start, but the design is not great. Instead of having users, such as myself, scroll through pages of pages of articles on shows I’m not interested in reading, isn’t there a more user-friendly layout? You have a stable of great writers, but this is a tedious format to wade through.

• David says:

I disagree. I think the format is great. Most of the people who come here are tv fanatics and as such they have a pretty diverse interest in different programs. So I like everything being posted in order of the article being written.

• jerry says:

I like the format and i can scroll to my favorite shows on the ‘Hot Shows’ tab at the top. However, there should be a tab for the original content, I have to scroll a few pages to find the latest Reality Check or Spoiler Alert. Is there any way to fix this, Michael?

12. James says:

Yes! Go Carrie Diaries! I really want another season.

13. meleliot says:

Haven’t watched Friday’s Grimm yet. Yay, something to look forward to this afternoon!

14. Shaun says:

Well,with Nikita gone I imagine they picked up quite a few of their watchers.

15. Ruby says:

i hope that Dracula is not going to be canceled! i really love it! so why Dracula is on risk of being canceled and Hannibal that have worse audience than Dracula was renewed? it would be unfair!! i´m not saying that Hannibal should be canceled at all! some good shows just have bad audience…

16. Louanne says:

I LOVE Dracula & I’m a vampire genre fan. I love that it’s set back in the 1800’s . The acting is superb, from this sexy, ambivalent, tortured Dracula with a heart for Mina, to focused & determined Dr. Van Helsing, to eternally nice with just a hint of naughty Mina, to sexy, manipulative Lady Jane to ever suffering Reinfeld, to the evil Order of the Dragon, this show has everything. They capture the essence of Brahm Stoker’s Dracula. KEEP this series going!!!!

• I agree with you totally. I watched the first couple of episodes and watched it grow!! Friday night’s episode was incredible. Wish they would bring Gary Oldman in for a couple of guest spots as Dracula’s dad. Please NBC, don’t cancel Dracula. Jonathan Rhys Meyers was nominated for a People’s Choice Award!!! Hannibal nor Grimm wasn’t nominated for anything. The acting in this show is fantastic. Love all the English actors that play the lead role of Dracula……Rhys Meyers and Gary Oldman.

17. The problem with Dracula is it has started out WAY TOO SLOW. We watch movies and television shows about Dracula to see him BEING DRACULA not using some kind of plot to thwart oil production and be more ecological no matter what the revenge plot is.

The last couple of episodes have really gotten good and I hope viewership picks up but it might be too late.

• Jonathan Smith says:

Have you ever seen breaking bad? Opened to lacklustre reviews — and ratings — it’s first season only to go on to be deemed one of the best series of all time.

18. If you guys like Dracula (or don’t), check out my podcast on it at libertystreetgeek.net (also on iTunes and stitcher)

But I will chime in and say this.. ALL producers want their shows to be successful and make money. That being said.. unless it’s billed as a mini-series, they all want their projects to continue if they’re making money.

19. Ann Reeder says:

I could barely wait for the Dracula series to air as I’ve always loved vampire movies. I thought Jonathan Rhys Meyers was so wonderful in The Tudors. He is one of my favorite actors and was certain he would be amazing as Dracula! The PERFECT Dracula! The costumes and sets are as beautiful as I hoped but the story line is very very slow…. No suspense and I have zero emotion for the characters. It had SO much potential but sadly it is just blah. I am NOT blaming Jonathan Rhys Meyers for this disaster ( though I wish they didn’t have to make him keep switching his accents from American to British when his natural accent makes a MUCH sexier character and let’s face it…. Vampires should be sexy! ) but SO disapointed with the script and the casting of the other actors. It could have been great but even Jonathan Rhys Meyers could not save it.

20. John Franson says:

The people saying Dracula is slow, boring, etc. are why great shows get canceled. You people have no attention span, you’re all ruined by Michael Bay movies. Dracula isn’t slow, it’s absorbing and engrossing.

21. Millicent says:

Dracula was a limited series meaning only that each season would be ‘limited’ to a short run (10 episodes), I believe partly in order to suit the needs of series star, Jonathan Rhys Meyers. You can continue being wrong if you wish, but that’s what it means. —- when you read this correctly it says limited series MEANING limited to a short run for EACH SEASON. Its always been meant to have short runs for each season..not ONE season. I am hoping it continues.

22. Joanne Green says:

Please do g cancel dracula. Jonathan Rhys Meyer is so sexy. Keep his British accent. Give this series a chance. With a second season

23. lisa says:

This show is wonderful. Plz don’t cancel

24. Martin says:

Dracula is a good show, ok so its not glitzy but hey some ppl have no taste or class do they??? this show is at least set in the correct time and location!! most ppl haven’t read the book probably and were expecting some twilight crap or something???? Good programme and well done Jonathon Rhys Meyer for his work on it I hope it gets a series finale

25. Monica says:

Comme on I LOVE DRACULA one episode keeps me waiting for the next one!
    Give this series a chance. With a second season plz

26. Come on NBC. Please don’t cancel Dracula! Don’t make a serious mistake like ABC Daytime did when they cancelled “One Life To Live”. I don’t know why they did that and put hundreds of people out of work to satisfy that awful Katie Couric, to give her a 3 pm talk show that she is quitting this year. Do we have to write letters or place phone calls to the Manager of NBC Entertainment. I love the “spin” Dracula did on the characters in this series. Dracula was his usual cool, sexy self and very intelligent. Renfield was a lawyer and African American. Van Helsing was working on Dracula’s behalf. The show was an excellent series that could have been moved to another night WHEN NBC NOTICED IT WAS STRUGGLING IN THAT TIME SLOT! It could run opposite “Sleepy Hollow”. You have done it with other series. Please do it to save the series. I have always been a big fan of the network going back to the NBC Mystery movies (McMillan & Wife, Columbo, Heck Ramsey, McCloud). Keep your magic! Don’t cancel Dracula. Jonathan Rhys Meyers was nominated for a People’s Choice Award. Grimm and Hannibal haven’t been nominated for anything!!

27. Ang says:

All I can say is keep Dracula going. I love it!!

28. Reynaldo says:

Everything is very open with a precise explanation of the
    issues. It was really informative. Your website is
    useful. Many thanks for sharing!