Exclusive

Exclusive Castle Sneak Peek: Does Kate Already Have Plans for the Day of Her Own Wedding?

Is Castle‘s Detective Ryan ready to be a dad? Is he about to become a dad? Will it be a boy, or a girl? Will he name the baby Cosmo? Will Rick need to go stag to his own wedding? Wait, what?

PHOTOS | Winter Spoiler-palooza! Scoop on Castle and 30 More Returning Favorites

Each of those questions manages to be raised in this exclusive clip from the next episode of ABC’s Castle (Monday, 10/9c).

PHOTOS | A Castle Baddie and 23 Other TV Characters We Suspect Won’t Survive 2014

Anything I could say beyond that risks overselling the fun of it all, so press play now and enjoy the “Caskett” banter for yourself.

Loading video...

1. Kate says:

I LOVE everything about that clip, and I can’t to finally have a new episode on Monday!

2. TrustAVM says:

It needs more Esposito.

3. So happy the winter hiatus is almost over!!

4. soso says:

Love that sneak peek! I can’t wait for Castle to come back!! Ryan is so cute, Beckett is right, he’s gonna make a great father. Caskett are adorable as usual. Love beckett’s answer!

So, since it’s on the topic, what do think Ryan and Jenny will have? A boy or a girl?

I’m hoping for a girl!

5. calibrat says:

LOVE this clip.

6. Just one thing says:

Interesting choice for sneak peek. More than anything else, it definitely highlights the chemistry between the actors.
    I didn’t really see it when people first started pointing it out, but they do seem to be setting it up as if Castle is dragging his feet with this whole wedding thing. Not crazy about that, but maybe it’ll finally lead to some deeper character development for him.

• Christina says:

Their chemistry makes the show – so great.
      I’m a little concerned with that too, but if it leads to some character development I’ll be a happy camper (so long as they handle it well!).

• Just one thing says:

Hey, Christina, and Happy New Year!
        I’m REALLY trying not to let those strange beats bug me. :P This time last year they set up some potentially good character-based conflict with Meredith’s parting words to Beckett, and then they just dropped it. And it’s a bummer, because it seemed like the perfect opportunity for Beckett to reciprocate with “peeling the onion.” Plus, it was annoying, because it actually would’ve played well into Beckett’s doubts once the DC shenanigans began.
        Anyway, I was never a fan of how the proposal came about, but now that they’ve been engaged this season, it’s been fine. Fun, even. If they are indeed dropping hints that Castle’s the one pumping the brakes, then hopefully there’s a point to it down the line that illuminates some of his fears, concerns, etc. It’d be natural to have second thoughts with Wife #3. But let’s get down to the nitty-gritty of WHY that may be.

• Christina says:

Somehow my reply just posted below instead of here…weird. Anyways, see below for response!

• Kim says:

JOT – It’s been awhile! Hope all has been well with you!

I think Castle is totally into the marriage part, but I don’t think he’s that interested in the wedding. With all of the little things (and big things, hello proposal!) he’s done for Kate this season, I think it shows he doesn’t have any doubts about spending the rest of his life with her. To me, Castle seems pretty game about building a life together with Kate via the conversations about kids and such the like.

I can’t imagine either Meredith or Gina wanting Castle’s input when they got married. From when we know of his ex-wives, both of them are really high maintenance. I can see them being bridezillas. Castle likes parties, so he would probably want to be a part of the planning process. But with Meredith and Gina, I’m sure he had no say whatsoever. Even if they did ask for his opinion, they might not have actually wanted it. I think Castle would go to the Justice of the Peace tomorrow if Kate was game for that. He wants the marriage. It’s just the planning part that’s unpleasant. His track record has shown him that the bride gets whatever she wants regardless of what he wants as the groom. Most women have been planning their ideal wedding since they were little girls. Even though Kate has denied that in season two (the one with Kyra’s wedding), I’m almost positive that she has been planning her wedding she she was a little girl. And Castle wants her to be happy and have her dream wedding, so he isn’t saying anything about what he might want (That we’ve seen. Excluding the space wedding idea, because as cute as that was, I don’t think he was 100% serious.). And Kate is probably assuming he doesn’t want to be involved because he’s a guy and what guy wants to pick out linens and table arrangements? Kate might also think he’s getting cold feet. I don’t believe she’d question his commitment for a second, but it’s possible she might wonder why he’s dragging his feet for reasons other than just him being a guy. Castle has had bad wedding and marriage experiences. For the first time in his life, I think he’s truly in love. So that makes this different. He might want to be a part of the planning because he never got to do that before, and because this wedding is a symbol of their love and relationship. Being involved means something more than it did the first two times. But like I said, he wants Kate to be happy and have her dream wedding so he’ll sit in the background and let her have that. I also think that, yeah, he’s a guy and centerpieces might not be his cup of tea. Setting a date means having to plan and that probably sounds like torture to a guy with his past experiences. I might be reaching. It’s more than possible that I’m WAY off and this storyline will play out MUCH differently on the show. But this is just my two cents. I thin Castle is all in on spending his life with Kate. I just don’t think he’s all in on planning a wedding. Which is why I could see him wanting to go to the Justice of the Peace. Like I said, I’m probably way off. :)

• Just one thing says:

Hey, Kim! I look forward to chatting with you here now that the hiatus is finally coming to a close. :D
            I don’t think you’re off with those assumptions about Castle and his wedding planning tactics.
            Personally, I never thought that Castle and Beckett needed to get married. They strike me as a couple who could have a successful civil union. However, I get the impression that the show’s core audience wouldn’t be satisfied with that route. And that’s putting it mildly. :P

• Kim says:

JOT – I look forward to chatting with you again, too! This hiatus felt really long. So glad it’s coming to an end. :)

Yeah, I will freely admit that I would not be satisfied if they went that route. Mainly because they’ve already built up the engagement. Not following through would just be cruel.

With Kate being so private, I can’t see them having a big soiree/giant production for their wedding. It’s more than possible that the show will go that route, though. Which is more than fine. I’m looking forward to the emotion, not the frills. I just see Castle and Kate doing something small and intimate. A beach wedding (The Hamptons, or somewhere more tropical), the NY Public Library (since it’s played a pretty nice role in their relationship), or even a trip to City Hall. With the boys, Lanie, Jenny, Jim Beckett, Martha, and Alexis present, of course. I don’t know. I may end up changing my mind when I see the episode of Kate trying on dresses. Not that the location matters much concerning the dress. Stana Katic would look stunning in a paper bag. I’m sure the dress will be elegant regardless of where they get married. But yeah, I don’t envision much hoopla for the wedding/reception. Something small and quiet and lovely. Or maybe I’m just projecting after watching my friends plan their weddings (the stress level was borderline apocalyptic for each one; it’s a miracle we all survived). :)

• I think they should get married at the Hamptons in his house, and on his property, and I have a feeling it is going to be a whirlwind plan of a one week, throw together, but beautiful execution, because in the end he’s going to tell her that he doesn’t care about the plans, he just wants to begin his life with her, without all the fuss and royal wedding extras, though they both deserve it after everything they have been through.

• Just one thing says:

@Kim & Bonnita, ever since Nathan Fillion mentioned that the wedding should be somewhere tropical, I think that’s the route they should take. :P Sure, if they film on location outside of CA, it’d probably end up being the most expensive episode they’ve ever done. But I think they’ve earned the right to have ABC pony up for it. (Truly, the wedding episode should be treated like a major event, so I’d be interested to see how ABC promotes it.)

• Aqueelah says:

totally agree these are my thoughts exactly after all this is Becketts first try at marriage and Castle’s last to get it right so the whole him dragging his feet thing makes for great s/l. I was also disappointed that they didn’t play out Merediths hints about Castle keeping everything in. We saw Castle explore every inch of Becketts hopes and fears its time for Beckett to get down to his and I was definately not big on their proposal, Castle’s character is great but I’m tired of him chasing and waiting on Beckett which is the reason I loved season four finale and the reason II’ll love this s/l if they’re going where I think they’re going

• Just one thing says:

It’s funny you mention Castle’s chasing and waiting on Beckett. This is the first season where things seem to be on an even keel with them. There are no questions, no concerns or secrets. Things are pretty chill on the relationship front, which is a nice change.

• Apples says:

I don’t see the whole dragging-the-feet thing yet, but it could be true. I think the episode dealing with Castle’s fame and Beckett being uncomfortable with it is probably the one most likely to uncover some of Castle’s past and whatever issues he might have with moving forward with the wedding.

• Just one thing says:

Yeah, in some ways, it could be others and myself reading into throwaway lines. But it HAS been rather consistent. Hopefully the fame episode will bring up some of Castle’s issues. He seems most perturbed in the few bits of clips that have been released.

7. Marine says:

Hope for some Esplanie in this epsiode…We need continuity for them after Disciple!

8. Christina says:

Hey Just one thing – Happy New Year to you too!
    I totally forgot about that last year! AWM made all those comments about peeling back the onion on Castle, but we never actually saw much of that occur. I was looking forward to that too…Oh well.
    I’m really hoping they don’t have him pump the brakes on this one though, and that those hints are just to stir up talk. He was super into the kid thing, and he and Beckett even had that conversation about it at the end of the episode. He’s clearly expecting a future with her, I just think he’s in no hurry to get there.

• Just one thing says:

Yeah, with the baby talk, it definitely sounded like he’s planning on a future together. But maybe marriage isn’t necessary for that future to take place? If Castle’s stalling isn’t part of a story, I can’t imagine they’re doing it on purpose.

• John says:

“It’s not entirely too late for them to peel the Castle onion, but it does feel like they’re running out of time.”
        You are still on the opinion that this is because Nathan doesn’t want to? or has changed?

• Just one thing says:

I’m still of the opinion that Fillion prefers to play up the humor, yes. But I think there are ways to still have fun and funny moments interspersed with the deeper character beats that people seem to enjoy. Time Will Tell & The Good, The Bad, and The Baby proved that much. (Hmmm… I think there’s a common denominator there. Who could *she* be?)
          When I say they’re “running out of time,” I mean that I think they’re coming toward the end of the series’ run. I would still be very, very surprised if the show goes beyond Season Seven. I personally think it’d be rather cool if Castle got a sort of “limited”, mini-series-like run for Season Eight. But I find it very hard to imagine Castle existing beyond May 2015 – which, let’s face it, is a pretty long time by current TV standards.
          And, to be fair, whenever their final season takes place, I strongly believe that all necessary parties will go into that season knowing it’ll be the last one.

• John says:

We still disagree, I just don’t see how he can say “No” to the writers and producers if they give him the script in which he has to play more drama for the backstory of his character. This is on the writers.

• John says:

Some nerwork problems… And yes, I think, 7 season – 150 episodes is the goal. And I agree about Terri Miller. The writers, write. Actors, act, just that.

• Just one thing says:

I’m not saying Fillion’s necessarily been a diva about it and chooses not to do something out of spite. But I do think that he and Katic have, by virtue of being the show’s #1 and #2, had leeway in expressing their preferences.
            That’s just how a lot of television shows collaborate, regardless of how nice and hard-working the cast is. Plenty of EPs/writers/directors/actors discuss what works for them and the show, and their individual preferences. Yes, at the end of the day, compromises are made, the showrunner makes the final call, and everyone gets on the same page.
            But it always behooves showrunners – particularly those who have decent relationships with their actors – to cater to the preferences of their leads, within reason. And, as I’ve said here before, I fully believe it’s in everyone’s best interests to play to their leads’ strengths, rather than forcing actors to do something they’re not comfortable with or that won’t read well on-screen. (That just seems like common sense, no?)
            I doubt the major players involved in the show have ever been at consistent, ongoing odds with the show’s direction. And the mixture of comedy and drama seems to be the series’ unconventional selling point. It’s worked for them particularly well over the last couple years. So, if one actor prefers comedy and another actor prefers drama, that’s not going to disturb the show’s status quo.

• Just one thing says:

I should’ve clarified that Fillion can and does deliver the drama when needed, and I don’t think that’s something he’s uncomfortable with at all.

• John says:

Probalby they have that “leeway” but that doesn’t mean that is gonna interfer with the storytelling/storyline, if Marlowe develop the Castle backstory they will show us just that, maybe they take some of the actor sugestions but just that

9. karkar says:

Enjoyed the preview! I just can’t see Caskett having a big wedding. Maybe a small chapel(in Vegas maybe) With close family and friends. Why not have a small reception at the Old Haunt a few weeks after their honeymoon P.S. I thought i lost this message, So its written somewhere else too.

10. Lori says:

Nice clip. Looking forward to it. It would be nice to get the wedding over they really are stretching it out.

11. Office says:

Everyone loves it when individuals come together and share thoughts.
    Great blog, continue the good work!

12. Rich Abey says:

Wow. I have been nothing but impressed by the sneak peeks of 6×11 so far. Banter between the gang is as good as ever. It looks fire-tastic!

13. Karen says:

There have been stories that James Brolin is doing another show. I think Beckett’s dad and Martha are going to be cozy pals when Papa comes to town. Throwing everything in to chaos….including wedding details…cliff hanger???

Karen in Canada

14. Becky Ann says:

This episode makes me cringe. Why? Why? Can’t Jenny please leave the show and take the baby with her and…I don’t know, he hits his head and forgets her. Anything. I love the real life actors and I love them together in real life, but I can’t stand Jenny’s character. I’ll never get over the salt pig or when she accused Kevin of cheating on her.

15. Apples says:

Cute bit of banter. Looking forward to the show coming back and storylines moving forward

16. tokitoki says:

If they’re planning to have a small wedding, what’s smaller than having it done at the precinct? If they’re having a big wedding, I think they’ll have it in their own back yard (he owns a villa out of the city).

17. Kerry Kilbride says:

Great show, that I have been turned onto back in season 2 or 3. It has been a great ride. I think the marriage thing like so many other shows that have gone that route will destroy the show. Where do you go once they say their I do’s. Don’t get me wrong I would love to see the wedding also, but am afraid of where the show will go afterwards. Well I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. Oh and by the way I was disappointed that there was no Christmas episode this year. Just saying.

• Apples says:

There’s plenty of story to tell after the “I dos” just like there has been plenty of story to tell after the relationship started. I think to one of my favourite couples ever on TV, the Taylors on Friday Night Lights, and how they had some of the best storylines on the show despite being married. No couple is ever truly magically “done” and live happily ever after.

• scooby says:

Part of Castle is based on the real life relationship of Andrew Marlowe and his wife and they fully believe you don’t have to stop having great banter or dramatic situations in a tv show after people get together. Another basis for the couple are other fictional couples like in The Thin Man–to simplify the stories, it’s a married couple called Nick and Nora Charles who solve murder mysteries. Sound familiar? She’s not a homicide detective like Beckett but that hardly matters. If you’ve not seen the movies (or read the books), give them a shot. Why would you think they’d suddenly forget how to have great stories or banter because Castle and Beckett have gotten hitched? It’s not like it’s the 2nd or 3rd season. They’ve had personal arcs going and building for years. Married people can continue to grow as people. Remember Castle’s never had a successful marriage. Beckett’s not had one at all. They gotta figure that out. Coupledom could be awesome. Maybe Kate can help Rick hide the body after he strangles Pi. See?

• DarkDefender says:

Kate’s not rogue enough to help him bury Pi.. It’s more likely that his father would help him, but Beckett and Esposito would help get him out of jail after Ryan told Gates about his suspicion that Pi is dead and she has Castle arrested. Just sayin, that’s how it would probably go down.

18. dale says:

This show gets worse and worse. Forget weddings and babies, get back to what makes the show good! I only watched a few episodes last season and it looks like this season will be worse.

• gaby6034 says:

how can you say a tv show is getting worse and worse if you don’t watch it? :O ….. and your favorite tv show is?

19. T says:

The fire clip looks good. Lets hope it puts some heat back into Caskett. I’m with those who think Castle is dragging his feet with the wedding. He is not dragging his feet with his commitment to Kate. In fact he has been all in all season – the proposal; supporting her in her misguided move to DC; getting an apartment in DC for them together; making a change at the loft for her and admitting why; and confessing his interest in having another child coupled with his concerns about Kate being up for it. But something is holding him back with the wedding itself. Fear of another marriage failure? Fear of asking her for a prenup? Fear of facing his contributions to his failed marriages? Fear of retreating behind his own walls like Gina told him he did with Alexis? Fear of knowing how the publicity might affect Kate and how it may have affected him? Something is there. I just hope that it comes out clearly and in a way that they work through together. I am not interested in another blow up and run off to mom or dad moment.

20. lame says:

Finally!!! Kate’s calling Castle “babe”, now if Marlowe & Co can allow Castle to call her” Katie”,things might resemble real life. Honestly, did you Andrew actually call Terri “Miller” for any length of time,LOL!!!

• Beth Morris says:

I totally LOVE that she is calling him “Babe”. He calls her “Kate” at least 10 times for every 1 time she calls him “Rick”. You could count the number of times she calls him “Rick” on your 2 hands. This is making her seem more comfortable with her showing her emotions. She’s been so stoic for so long. Can’t wait to see her get more relaxed.

21. JDC says:

A home run of an episode. Castle was sweet and Beckett was charming witty. Keep’em coming – can’t wait for the wedding.

22. Matt:

I disagree! In the episode at the church Castle (you know the one with Castle as the “baby whisperer”) while was being witty, made a valid commitment about the church and he and Kate’s wedding. Castle is going to do what Kate wants. The question isn’t so much about Castle, but is it possible that Doyle’ blotted out statement about Kate doing something and Castle still marrying her… will be the big surprise: ? Moreover, will Kate become a run away bride?” Or might there be another secret that comes to the surface on or near their wedding day – we never heard the story on her and Josh. We all will have to wait an see, but we know that there is nothing easy between these two, no matter how much they love each other – there is bound to be drama.

23. DRL says:

True love course is never smooth, not even for Kate and Castle. I cannot wait for the wedding – I think all or at least the vast majority of us Castle fans are more than ready, for crime, murder, and marital crazines with Caskett. We know that there will bemore life and death pieces, and marriage won’t change that for a while. There will be baby drama when the time comes too, so don’t be surprise; but we all looking forward to the prawns arrival and the birth drama.

Questions:

1. Will Kate be a run away bride?
    2. Does Kate have a secret that will postpone the wedding, before season’s end (a two parter – like she married Josh)?
    3. What do you think Doyle held back from Castle, about what Kate did, and yet he still married her?