What to Watch: Your Guide to 25+ New Year's Eve/Day Marathons, Specials and More!

new-years-eve-what-to-watchYou might think New Year’s Eve TV is all about the countdown, but we at TVLine have compiled plenty of other hidden gems for you to keep on your radar. As 2013 becomes ’14, enjoy marathons of current favorites (The Walking Dead, The Mindy Project), New Year’s specials and, of course, the most important 10 seconds of the year. Enjoy!

RELATED | Save the Dates! Your Guide to 75+ January Premieres, Finales and More

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 31
6 am — 8 pm Law & Order: SVU (USA Network) | Some things just go together: peanut butter and jelly, milk and cookies, and the holidays and SVU marathons.

6 am — 3:18 pm Awkward (MTV) | Missing Jenna’s antics? Relive (almost) all of Season 3.

8 am — 5 am The Twilight Zone (Syfy) | The sci-fi marathon will include classic episodes like “The Hitchhiker” and “The Eye of the Beholder.”

8 am — 6 am Doctor Who Marathon (BBC America) | It’s a full day of The Doctor, with programs airing in this order: The Companions, Tales From the TARDIS, Doctor Who Explained, An Adventure in Space and Time, four regular episodes of the series, The End of Time, The Day of the Doctor, The Time of the Doctor and Farewell to Matt Smith.

the-fosters-new-years-eve11 am — 6 pm The Fosters (ABC Family) | With new episodes coming on Jan. 13, here is a chance to recap Season 1 with this marathon.

9 am The Walking Dead (AMC) | If you just finished AMC’s epic Breaking Bad marathon and thought you could finally get off the couch, guess again: Every Walking Dead episode ever will air back-to-back, until 5 am on Thursday.

11:30 am — 5 pm The Mindy Project (Bravo) | The marathon features all Season 2 episodes to date. (James Franco! Danny’s Secret Santa gift!)

7 pm Regular Show (Cartoon Network) | Rigby must stop Mordecai from kissing a girl on NYE.

8 pm New Year’s Rockin’ Eve Presents The 30 Greatest Women In Music (ABC) | American Idol host Ryan Seacrest, The View’s Jenny McCarthy and pop star Fergie lead a two-hour countdown of the 30 greatest female artists in music. (New Year’s Rockin’ Eve with Ryan Seacrest 2014 will immediately follow, featuring performances by Robin Thicke, Daughtry, Florida Georgia Line and others.)

8 pm A Toast to 2013! (NBC) | Today’s Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb (and, presumably, plenty of wine) reflect on the biggest pop culture moments of the year.

8 pm — 1 am Modern Family (USA Network) | In the spirit of New Year’s Eve, have a drink every time you think Lily deserves a time-out.

8 pm — Wednesday at Midnighthappy endings ending Happy Endings (VH1) | File this under “a-mah-zing”: 28 straight hours of the dearly departed ABC comedy. There haven’t been this many Happy Endings since The Client List was on the air.

8 pm Live From Lincoln Center (PBS) | The New York Philharmonic’s opening gala concert features music director Alan Gilbert and special guest cellist Yo-Yo Ma.

9 pm FNC’s All-American New Year (Fox News Channel) | If only because it will feature the first interview with Duck Dynasty cast members Willie and Korie Robertson since patriarch Phil’s suspension was lifted.

10 pm NBC’s New Year’s Eve with Carson Daly (NBC) | The Voice emcee rings in the new year with the best musical performances of 2013.

10 pm House of Lies Live! (Showtime) | Don Cheadle, Kristen Bell and other cast members try their hand at long-form improv in front of a live audience at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre in Los Angeles.

10 pm Girl Code Presents: New Year’s Code (MTV) | Cast members from Girl Code and MTV2’s Guy Code discuss the dos and don’ts of New Year’s Eve parties, 2014 resolutions and other holiday faux pas.

11 pm New Year’s Eve Live (Fox) | The X Factor’s Mario Lopez hosts the evening live from Las Vegas, with performers including J. Cole, Krewella, New Politics and Panic! At the Disco. (What does it say about me that I only know who half of those acts are?)

RELATED | TVLine Readers’ 2014 Wish List for Supernatural, Castle, Big Bang Theory, Grey’s and More!

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 1
6 am — 2 am NCIS (USA Network) | NCIS_Eli_ZivaThis 20-hour “Resolve to Watch” round-up includes the episodes “Broken Arrow” (Welcome back, DiNozzo Sr.!), “One Last Score” (Everyone meet EJ!), “Baltimore” and the one-two gut-punch of “Shabbat Shalom” and “Shiva.”

10 am — Midnight Law & Order (WE tv) | Kick back with 14 straight hours of the original doink-doink! drama.

10 am — 6 am The Tudors (BBC America) | Before Jonathan Rhys Meyers was Dracula, he was King Henry VIII on this acclaimed series, which will air its first two seasons back-to-back.

11 am The 2014 Rose Parade (ABC) | Now in its 125th year, the two-hour event features floats, marching bands and equestrians. (Also broadcast on NBC, starting at 11:30.)

1 — 6 pm Ravenswood (ABC Family) | The spookfest returns with new installments on Jan. 7, but here you can catch up on every episode to date.

2pm — 2 am Burn Notice (ION Television) | My name is Michael Westen… and here’s a 13-hour marathon of my missions, starting with the series pilot.

2:30 pm Great Performances: From Vienna: The New Year’s Celebration 2014 (PBS) | The Vienna Philharmonic rings in the new year, accompanied by the dancing of the Vienna City Ballet. Julie Andrews (The Sound of Music) hosts. (Note: The special will encore at 8 pm.)

house-of-lies-new-years-eve2:30 — 9 pm House of Lies (Showtime) | Need a refresher on Season 2? This marathon can help catch you up.

8:30 pm Remember Me (ABC Family) | Rebellious New Yorker Tyler (Robert Pattinson, Twilight) unexpectedly finds love in the one girl who understands him (Once Upon a Time’s Emilie de Ravin) — but buried secrets threaten to tear the couple apart!

9 pm The Tomorrow People (CW) | Repeat to Revisit: For those looking to play catch-up before the series returns on Jan. 15, this encore of the pilot is a great place to start.

10 pm The Exes (TV Land) | Special time! Stuart’s sister (The King of Queens’ Leah Remini) shows up unannounced at the guys’ apartment with news about her marriage. (Note: A new episode of Kirstie, featuring guest star Kathy Griffin, will air at 10:30.)

10 pm The Soup (E!) | Host Joel McHale and the cast of Community count down the 20 best (and simultaneously worst) TV clips of the year. Who will take the No. 1 spot? My money’s on the TLC Tyke Who Shall Not Be Named.

Which of the above is a must-see for you? Also, hit the comments to offer your own tune-in suggestions.

1. Kampa says:

For me January 1 I’ll be watching SHERLOCK!!! Can´t wait!!!

2. Amanda says:

For foodies The Cooking Channel has a12 hr marathon of My Grandmother’s Ravioli starting at 2 pm ET.

3. Cody Drennen says:

Only thing I will watch is the Ravenswood. Only because I never saw them when they first aired so I will catch up on that and be ready for the premiere next week along with PLL.

• Francine says:

I was thinking about watching Ravenswood because I’m a sucker for teen dramas and the supernatural, but not sure if its worth it or not. I never watched PLL.

4. Cat says:

Happy Endings marathon on vh1 starting the 31st!! Wahh I miss it so much

5. scooby says:

Bravo’s doing a Mindy Project marathon? I am IN. If you haven’t seen Chris Messina dancing (which he does in the Christmas episode), treat yourself. :)

6. Jamie Paton says:

I’ll be watching the Happy Endings marathon on VH1, it literally runs all New Years Day.

7. Cassandra says:

For any people planning on watching the Rose Parade, the best way is on HGTV. If it’s like prior years, there are no commercials, and they give details about what the floats are made of.

• Francine says:

Thanks for the tip! That actually sounds pretty interesting to me.

• Kiddoo says:

There’s a float that will exhibit two gay males getting married (and presumably sealing the deal with a kiss). Just an fyi in case you don’t want your kids to see. I’m personally for gay marriage but not on a float during the Rose Bowl Parade. (Also think heterosexuals should be married in church, not on a float as a stunt). This post is not to be offensive but rather informative to those that would watch the parade. Happy New Year’s!

• If you think that you need to warn people about seeing a gay marriage on a float, you shouldn’t preface it with “I’m personally for gay marriage”. No one will believe you.

8. Tom Charles says:

Better that than every time Gloria is loud and annoying, that one would be dangerous.

9. Happy Endings marathon for me. I watched the pilot on Amazon last night, and I suspect I’m an idiot for not watching it when it aired.

10. Lore says:

SVU, NCIS and The Fosters!

11. hannah says:

if you actually like the details of the rose parade the place to go is hgtv. They have experts on how they make the different colors and whatnot.

12. DhoOm dhoÖm says:

Hpy new yr

13. inspector says:

Don’t forget HGTV will have the parade commercial free

14. Leanna says:

I love NCIS marathons!

15. Brie Stoll says:

Reblogged this on The Ultimate FanGirl Blog and commented:

16. Rose Parade then NCIS, especially Shabbat Shalom and Shiva cause Cote de Pablo and Michael Weatherly gave some of their best performances in this one-two punch episodes! Thank you, TVLine for listing the 2013-14 marathons! :)

17. Eddie Ginsburg says:

Also Antenna tv is having a Jack Benny-Burns and Allen marathon today @ 7:30 a 3 stooges marathon beginning @ 3am tomorrow

18. Ron says:

No question: I’ll be watching Happy Endings! I can’t believe it didn’t get snatched up by another network (TBS and USA, I’m looking at you…). I’ve seen lots of “pick up my favorite show, network ‘X'” after a fan-favorite has been cancelled by its original network (a la Cougar Town moving to TBS … wow, ABC drops the ball a lot). But truthfully, not since Jericho and the boxes of peanuts have I seen so much audience momentum to get a show re-picked up. I’m still in denial that it’s gone, and this ah-mah-zing marathon will at least subside my denial for a day.

19. WPIX in NY is doing it’s annual Honeymooners Marathon which begins as soon as the ball drops (It breaks from 4-9am for Pix Morning Show) and then runs non stop till 5 Pm Wed.

20. Panic! At the Disco? Really Fox? Is it New Years Eve 2004 or 2014?

21. Dave S says:

Starting Wednesday ION TV is showing a Burn Notice marathon starting at 2pm ET/1pm CT. They are starting with the pilot episodes.

22. Columbus says:

The Fosters!

23. Allison says:

I can’t wait for people to watch Happy Endings on VH1, talk about how great it is and how much of a shame it is that it’s not on tv anymore. Well if you watched it in the first place, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. It’s Arrested Development all over again and yes, I’m bitter.

24. Nina says:

Encore classic is running Magnum Pi from 2 am-1230 am tomorrow!

25. Joey says:

The Mindy Project on Bravo. Tomorrow The Exes and The Soup.

26. Claudia says:

Sundance Channel is beginning to show the original Law & Order from the very beginning New Year’s Day. Haven’t seen these early episodes in a long time, since TNT usually focused just on showing the McCoy years.

27. Angela says:

Been watching the “Twilight Zone” marathon. Such a classic, awesome show. “The Hitchhiker” is one of my absolute favorite episodes-so freaking creepy.

28. JM says:

I wish there was a Shirley Temple movie marathon. Last week, I enjoyed an Astaire/Rogers mini-marathon on TCM.

29. Stormy says:

Hopping on the Brit Air red eye for London tonight, so I’ll be watching an in flight movie.

30. Norkir says:

Most Def – watching The Soup. Anything with Joel McHale & Company!! Love all cast of
    Community! Back on Jan 2nd!

31. nova5700 says:

happy newyears Eve all famliy

32. HAP says:

What is up with E!? I’m in SoCal and have Time Warner Cable. This is not the first time this has happened. E! high def channel is not showing The Soup, but rather the movie Juno. I have to go to the standard def channel if I want to watch The Soup. This also happens often with Chelsea Lately. Her show gets preempted for some movie on the High Def feed. Why do they do this? E! is an LA based company, yet they treat the locals like 2nd class viewers.