Justified Season 5: We Spy Red John, NewsRadio Stars, a Prison Breaker, House's Honey & Others

Justified Season 5 CastingOn Saturday as I screened Episode 2 of Justified Season 5 (premiering Jan. 7), I was prompted to declare on Twitter that “ALL the actors” appear in the coming cycle of the FX drama. Or at least it feels that way.

Many tweeted at me for details, so I hereby offer up this “role call.” Some of it, yes, has been reported here (and elsewhere) or glimpsed in publicity stills, while the rest, best I can tell, managed to slip under the radar. (But sorry, Twitter follower Ken: No Jennifer Lawrence.)

VIDEO | Justified Trailer: Trigger-Happy Raylan? Check. Badass Boyd? Criminal Cretins? Check.

First, what we knew going in: Jere Burns is now a series regular, as Wynn Duffy and his eyebrows. Also, TVLine kept you posted on the casting of this season’s family of lawbreakers: Michael Rapaport (Beautiful Girls), A.J. Buckley (CSI: NY) and Alicia Witt (Friday Night Lights) play Florida-based Crowe clan members Darryl Jr., Danny and Wendy.

In turn, Damon Herriman is back as daft Dewey. In addition, Edi Gathegi (Red Widow) plays Jean Baptiste, an associate of the aforementioned Crowes, while Amaury Nolasco (Prison Break) guest-stars an unpredictable business associate.

David Koechner (The Office) helps Raylan snoop into the Florida Crowes’ latest dealings, as Deputy Marshall Sutter.

RELATED | Justified‘s Walton Goggins: One Season 5 Scene that ‘Permanently Altered’ How I See Boyd

Among the returning familiar faces, Kaitlyn Dever (Last Man Standing) puts in a return appearance as Loretta. That sets the stage for Amy Smart (Road Trip) to play a social worker who — being a pretty blonde and all — strikes Raylan’s fancy.

Steve Harris (The Practice) and his younger brother Wood Harris (The Wire) play some toughs who get wrapped up in Loretta’s storyline.

Sam Anderson (Lost) returns as local power player/funeral home owner Lee Paxton, while Karolina Wydra (aka House‘s wife Dominika) debuts as his Latvian trophy wife Mara — whose path is destined to cross with Boyd’s.

RELATED | Save the Dates! Your Guide to 75+ January Premieres, Finales and More

Episode 1 features a NewsRadio non-reunion when Stephen Root and Dave Foley appear — in very separate scenes — as a judge and one of “the Canadians” involved in a “distribution problem” that is vexing partners-in-crime Boyd and Wynn. The name of the actor playing the other Canadian escapes me (UPDATE: It’s MadTV‘s Will Sasso), as does that of the bearded fellow who squares off with Raylan in this trailer.

Xander Berkeley (Nikita, The Mentalist) pops up in Episode 2.

And… as previously scooped by TVLine’s Inside Line column, Patton Oswalt is due back as Constable Bob.

Want more scoop on Justified, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Comments (46)

• Still no return for Jeremy Davies as Dickie Bennett?

I’m sad.

Comment by Greg Andrews (@Greg_01) – December 29, 2013 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree! Where is Dickie???!

Comment by Mareesa – December 29, 2013 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • raylan killed him in season 3

Comment by timmy – December 30, 2013 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Steve Harris & Wood Harris are brothers?? How did I not know that!!

Comment by wmcc520 – December 29, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hell yeah! Wood Harris is a bad ass, he was great on The Wire. Also, I can’t wait to see Sucre from Prison Break, that is exciting.

Comment by Harry – December 29, 2013 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really need to start watching this shib.

Comment by Williwasnt – December 29, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone know when season 4 will be up on amazon prime?

Comment by Kally – December 29, 2013 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • well now i want to see jennifer lawrence on the show, thanks for that. she does fit raylan’s type so there is a way to work her in right there.
    really cant wait for this to be back, jere burns and his eyebrows deserve separate credits in the opening titles.

Comment by Alan – December 29, 2013 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can not wait until this show comes back on! What a cast. I’m really glad the storylines going to feature Dewey’s family. His scenes with Raylan always cracked me up.

Comment by Francine – December 29, 2013 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Extremely full season of characters. Looking forward to it.

Comment by ScorpionGlow – December 29, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Newsradio was godlike.

Comment by Pat D. – December 29, 2013 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jennifer Lawrence is from Kentucky!

Now that you’ve named about 30 new actors appearing on the show. Any word if the woefully underused Tim and Rachel will appear in either of the first two eps? I noticed Art in a few scenes of the preview but no Tim or Rachel that I could see.

Comment by Heidi – December 29, 2013 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Any word if the woefully underused Tim and Rachel will appear in either of the first two eps?”

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Comment by Znachki – December 30, 2013 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is Winona! Come on!

Comment by Mareesa – December 29, 2013 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Winona appears in the new season. (I assumed some things are a Givens.)

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – December 29, 2013 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It better the be best faked Skype scene in the history of ever or I will be really disappointed!

Comment by Dee – December 29, 2013 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I see what you did there, Mitovich. 2 1/2 TVLine points to you (no cash value).

Comment by wordsmith – December 29, 2013 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bearded fellow is Mickey Jones. He plays Rodney “hot rod” Dunham. He is a big weed kingpin in Tennessee. Boyd and mags Bennett have had dealings with him in seasons 2 and 3.

Comment by jaybone – December 29, 2013 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for reminding us all of that abysmal storyline from HOUSE with his ‘mail-order-wife’ played by a girl who can’t even act. You know she’s done more True Blood than House by now so maybe you could update your references instead of making not so clever puns about his ‘honey’ (talk about offensive and useless plot point) unless this was your subtle way to mock the producers. Not looking forward to this season of Justified. Another show I will have to stop watching just like I did with True Blood when she ruined the fun.

Comment by Harry – December 29, 2013 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow. Can’t say I’m a huge fan of hers, but this seems unnecessarily harsh. Am I misunderstanding you when you seem to be judging this entire upcoming season due to the casting of this actress in a relatively minor role?

Comment by Cameron – December 29, 2013 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • never underestimate a certain sect of House fans, lol. but hey, more Justified for the rest of us then. don’t need petty wankers hogging the signal.

Comment by Danyelle – December 29, 2013 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • @Danyelle
          That was just rude and gratuitous. For the record, I am no House shippers or nutjob. Just a very disappointed fan who invested in a show and lead character who were butchered and overstayed their welcome. Enjoy Justified for me.

Comment by Harry – December 29, 2013 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think this season of Justified will be as even as the rest of the show, which means it’ll be good, so this is by no means a judgment on the whole series. I’m just saying that I cannot watch this girl on anything ever again. She was the final nail in the House coffin. I was a devoted fan from the start but they took it too far by bringing her on and by that time I was barely hanging on to finish the show I had invested in for years despite its decline. Needless to say, I dropped it during its already mediocre final season when TVline reported she’d be back. I might give a shot to the new season of Justified once it’s over so I can binge watch episodes free of her. I just don’t know how she even gets these jobs. She has no talent whatsoever. ‘politics’ I guess.

Comment by Harry – December 29, 2013 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I have no idea who you’re talking about, I never watched House past its first two seasons and never ever watched True Blood. But if you do like Justified, don’t give up because of this, it looks like a very! minor role and the cast in this show is always so spotless! At least, don’t abandon before the ship starts sailing :)

Comment by roz12 – December 30, 2013 01:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • this is one of the pettiest things ive ever read.

Comment by Alan – December 30, 2013 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree that she is a really bad actress but don´t give up. Justified is amazing and i don´t think she has a huge role. Enjoy the show for what it is. The rest of the people involved in it don´t deserve to lose a good fan like you just for a lame casting.

Comment by JKX – December 30, 2013 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Right? She’a a guest, probably will appear in one episode and people are refusing to watch the entire season because of that? Lol

Comment by katie – December 31, 2013 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She was a bore in House but i could deal with her there because i love Hugh Laurie but she ruined True Blood for me so i hope her role here will be minor because i’m really loving this show

Comment by Cook – December 30, 2013 12:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to hear of Wynn Duffy as a regular. His conversations with Raylan are always entertaining.

Comment by Cameron – December 29, 2013 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pleasantly surprised to hear that Stephen Root and Kaitlyn Dever are returning. The only people missing from the list of returning characters above that I’d really like to see is Shelley Hennig as Jackie Nevada and Rick Gomez as AUSA Vasquez.

As much as I love Jeremy Davies as Dickie Bennett and Mykelti Williamson as Limehouse, I kind of feel like their stories have played out.

Comment by Adam Lenhardt – December 29, 2013 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Amy Ryan going to be romantically involved with all the ruggedly handsome lawmen that make extremely poor decisions in their personal and occasionally professional lives?

Comment by LoopyChew – December 30, 2013 01:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dewey is back. That makes Justified return even sweeter!! And anyone from Prison Break makes me feel like home -I just love them SO much! I hope Amaury stays a bit and doesn’t die an awful death :-/

Comment by Roz12 – December 30, 2013 01:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dave Foley is going to be on Justified? That’s crazy. Crazy awesome. I like that they are casting outside the box for this show with choices like him and Patton Oswalt.
    I don’t see any Deadwood actors on this list and that bums me out a little. I don’t think they’ve gone a single season yet without having a Deadwood actor on the cast list. Last season it was evil George Hearst (aka Gerald McRaney). I badly need to see Brad Dourif or John Hawkes on this show.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – December 30, 2013 03:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For sure John Hawkes. One would think Tim Olyphant would throw a bone to his former “partner”.

Comment by RichieS – December 30, 2013 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gerald McRaney had a small part. I want to see more of him. Also Jim Beaver was on a couple of episodes I think. Did any of you see Gerald McRaney in SOUTHLAND?? Him and Michael was magnificent!!

Comment by Nancy – December 30, 2013 05:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rather than Amaury Nolasco it seems if you’re going to combine former Prison Break stars with this show about inbred cretins from the South the only casting choice would be Robert Knepper.

Comment by RichieS – December 30, 2013 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Kapelos can also be seen in the trailer.

Comment by Paul G. – December 30, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just want to see Constable Bob some more. Patton Oswalt is a hot commodity these days; hope he can work it into his schedule.

Comment by aunt_deen – December 30, 2013 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And now I see I should have read the article all the way to the end.

Yay for more Constable Bob!

Comment by aunt_deen – December 30, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Patton Oswalt as Bob Constable makes me happy. Bob and Raylan have such great chemistry. Yay!

Comment by meleliot – December 31, 2013 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Ava??? Love her and Boyd!

Comment by JM – January 1, 2014 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LIMEHOUSE??????????????????????????!! Come on, if you can find an excuse to bring Bob back, certainly you can get Limehouse in here. I know they’re probably not done shooting the season (according to nick searcy, last yuear bvy this point theyd only shot 8) but Limehouse better make at least 2 appearances this year. and Dickie. And i wouldnt mind more Quarles.

Comment by Richard – January 4, 2014 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked the character Dilly Crowe, Jason Gray-Stanford (Lt. Randy Disher from Monk). Too bad he was killed off in the season premiere.

Comment by Dave S – January 15, 2014 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post