TVLine's 2013 in Review, Part 2: Best/Worst New Characters, CGI Moments, Death Scenes and More! Plus: Most Underrated Actor and Actress

Gasp! Gah! Eeeeek!

Nope, we’re not reenacting a scene from the kitschy late-’60s Batman TV series, but instead recalling just a few of our responses to the last 12 months in television. And to celebrate all those lofty highs and “Where’s the pause button? I can’t cope!” lows, TVLine presents Part 2 of our 2013 in Review — including our selections for Best and Worst New Characters on Established Drama and Comedy Series, Most Underrated Actor and Actress, Best and Worst Reality Show Judges, Best Comedy Duo and even Biggest Tearjerker.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 in Review, Part 1: Best and Worst Series, Episodes, Newcomers and More! Plus: Most Improved & Underrated — 30 Titles Total!

(For those of you who missed Part 1, including Best and Worst Drama and Comedy, Most Improved Series, Guiltiest Pleasure and even the Cancellation That Hurt Us the Most, do click here!)

PHOTOS | TVLine Shares Its 2014 Wish List for HIMYM, New Girl, Sleepy Hollow, NCIS and More!

As for the rest of you, go ahead and browse through the gallery below for our picks in 35 key categories — then come back on Saturday morning for Part 3 of our 2013 wrapup. And, as always, when you’re done reading, hit the comments and tell us what you think we nailed perfectly, which selections had you crying “no me gusta!” and which series and performances you think we egregiously overlooked.

TAGS: , , , , ,
GET MORE: Lists, Photo Gallery

1. Monica4185 says:

I completly agree with the Red Wedding being the most horrific. I read the book so I knew it was coming, but watching it and reading it are two very different things. When reading it, my imagination didn’t quite capture how horrific it was. It hit me right in the heart when I heard and saw Catelyn Starks screaming the way Michelle Fairley screamed. It took me 15 minutes for me to move after watching it.

2. A says:

Is there a best reoccurring character award? If so, I want to give it to Eyal on Covert Affairs

3. dreamlife613 says:

Aw, I almost forgot that Fringe aired its series finale this year. Such a sad ending, but very fitting. Too bad the final season was overall very boring…

4. WYNGATE says:

There should have been a category for worst ending of the best series on TV. This whole season of Homeland was so apart from the first two that for me the series ended after the finale of Season 2. What were these writers thinking, or did they care? Showtime lost a subscriber in me, there is nothing else on there worth watching.

5. Sandra Holl says:

And again Bones is totally ignored!!! I really get upset about this because they are the BEST!!!

6. mrs dee schwartz says:

Glad someone finally mentions Hostages, the worst plot and storyline, ever. How long will it be on.

7. Helene says:

Taraji P. Henson delivered an extraordinary performance opposite Jim Caviezel for two-and-a-half seasons on Person of Interest. The death scene, preceded by that touchingly romantic interlude for Reese and Carter, was beautiful and utterly shattering.

8. meatwad says:

Joe Morton has been THE reason I’ve watched scandal this year

9. meatwad says:

Sarah Shahi, yes

10. A fan says:

Just wanted to say how awesome and creepy I think Robert Knepper is. I’ve seen him on Cult, Breakout Kings, Criminal Minds and Heroes as well as a couple movies, and he is quite a scene stealer.

11. ren says:

i think it’s a travesty that maggie siff & charlie hunnam have never been nominated for their performances on SOA. constantly outdoing themselves on that show.

12. Britta Unfiltered says:

I’ve never seen The Crazy Ones, but that photo of James Wolk makes me want to watch it.
    Hmm, I hadn’t made the connection before that Julianne Nicholson was also in Boardwalk Empire. I thought I recognized her on Masters of Sex. Now that you’ve made the connection for me, I remember exactly who she played.

13. sarah says:

the originals is amazing, way better than VD that is majorly struggling this year,
    hugh dancy is awesome. period
    everybody on bates motel needs an emmy there all so good, great actors playing great roles,
    yes poi carters death was horrific and i cried for ages after that scene cut to black but really shaw a good character, she is the worst just after root, both of those should have died over carter. then they could have brought Elias back as the big bad because he is a fantastic bad guy
    spader is really good at being bad in the blacklist
    criminal minds, Ncis deserves some love here too

14. jessieboy says:

#12 Best comedy duo Elizabeth (yes) Karen (hell no), so sick of the doe-eyed innocent look and child voice. Please, if she has enough balls to sleep with her married patient, then she has it in her to act like a grown azz woman! Worst character ever!

15. Nathan Fillion should be listed in the most under rated actor. He does a terrific job with both comedy and Drama. Target & Hunt are my 2 favorite eps of Castle this season as he was TERRIFIC. I so wish the Emmy s would get a Dramady category for shows like Castle that do both so well.

16. Meg says:

I respectfully disagree! The character of Shaw still bores the hell outta me!! She will be the downfall of Person of Interest!! This show has become a JOKE!

17. Dandy says:

Shaw, are you serious, one most boring characters in the whole year.

18. Brendan says:

Annie was indeed everywhere this year. I hope she gets more regular roles in her career.

19. Gilda says:

I dunno, Red had some pretty great monologues.

20. Elaine says:

Okay, I shared a lot of the same opinions with the TVLine critics in this list. I was a little worried after I disagreed so much with the previous list

21. Anita says:

Ohhhh that Fringe moment! You reminded me and now I have all the feels again

22. Lily says:

Beau Bridges’ talent is wasted on a silly show like The Millers.