TVLine's 2013 in Review, Part 2: Best/Worst New Characters, CGI Moments, Death Scenes and More! Plus: Most Underrated Actor and Actress

Get More: Lists, Photo Gallery

Gasp! Gah! Eeeeek!

Nope, we’re not reenacting a scene from the kitschy late-’60s Batman TV series, but instead recalling just a few of our responses to the last 12 months in television. And to celebrate all those lofty highs and “Where’s the pause button? I can’t cope!” lows, TVLine presents Part 2 of our 2013 in Review — including our selections for Best and Worst New Characters on Established Drama and Comedy Series, Most Underrated Actor and Actress, Best and Worst Reality Show Judges, Best Comedy Duo and even Biggest Tearjerker.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 in Review, Part 1: Best and Worst Series, Episodes, Newcomers and More! Plus: Most Improved & Underrated — 30 Titles Total!

(For those of you who missed Part 1, including Best and Worst Drama and Comedy, Most Improved Series, Guiltiest Pleasure and even the Cancellation That Hurt Us the Most, do click here!)

PHOTOS | TVLine Shares Its 2014 Wish List for HIMYM, New Girl, Sleepy Hollow, NCIS and More!

As for the rest of you, go ahead and browse through the gallery below for our picks in 35 key categories — then come back on Saturday morning for Part 3 of our 2013 wrapup. And, as always, when you’re done reading, hit the comments and tell us what you think we nailed perfectly, which selections had you crying “no me gusta!” and which series and performances you think we egregiously overlooked.

Comments (111)

• I completly agree with the Red Wedding being the most horrific. I read the book so I knew it was coming, but watching it and reading it are two very different things. When reading it, my imagination didn’t quite capture how horrific it was. It hit me right in the heart when I heard and saw Catelyn Starks screaming the way Michelle Fairley screamed. It took me 15 minutes for me to move after watching it.

Comment by Monica4185 – December 27, 2013 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there a best reoccurring character award? If so, I want to give it to Eyal on Covert Affairs

Comment by A – December 27, 2013 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • actually the award should be… best reoccurring character you wish was a series regular award

Comment by A – December 27, 2013 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed! There is always so much flailing on my part every time Eyal pops up.

Comment by Kayla – December 27, 2013 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Haha I flail too when I see Eyal

Comment by A – December 27, 2013 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aw, I almost forgot that Fringe aired its series finale this year. Such a sad ending, but very fitting. Too bad the final season was overall very boring…

Comment by dreamlife613 – December 27, 2013 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There should have been a category for worst ending of the best series on TV. This whole season of Homeland was so apart from the first two that for me the series ended after the finale of Season 2. What were these writers thinking, or did they care? Showtime lost a subscriber in me, there is nothing else on there worth watching.

Comment by WYNGATE – December 27, 2013 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And again Bones is totally ignored!!! I really get upset about this because they are the BEST!!!

Comment by Sandra Holl – December 27, 2013 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad someone finally mentions Hostages, the worst plot and storyline, ever. How long will it be on.

Comment by mrs dee schwartz – December 27, 2013 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Taraji P. Henson delivered an extraordinary performance opposite Jim Caviezel for two-and-a-half seasons on Person of Interest. The death scene, preceded by that touchingly romantic interlude for Reese and Carter, was beautiful and utterly shattering.

Comment by Helene – December 27, 2013 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Joe Morton has been THE reason I’ve watched scandal this year

Comment by meatwad – December 27, 2013 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sarah Shahi, yes

Comment by meatwad – December 27, 2013 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just wanted to say how awesome and creepy I think Robert Knepper is. I’ve seen him on Cult, Breakout Kings, Criminal Minds and Heroes as well as a couple movies, and he is quite a scene stealer.

Comment by A fan – December 27, 2013 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think it’s a travesty that maggie siff & charlie hunnam have never been nominated for their performances on SOA. constantly outdoing themselves on that show.

Comment by ren – December 27, 2013 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never seen The Crazy Ones, but that photo of James Wolk makes me want to watch it.
    Hmm, I hadn’t made the connection before that Julianne Nicholson was also in Boardwalk Empire. I thought I recognized her on Masters of Sex. Now that you’ve made the connection for me, I remember exactly who she played.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – December 27, 2013 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the originals is amazing, way better than VD that is majorly struggling this year,
    hugh dancy is awesome. period
    everybody on bates motel needs an emmy there all so good, great actors playing great roles,
    yes poi carters death was horrific and i cried for ages after that scene cut to black but really shaw a good character, she is the worst just after root, both of those should have died over carter. then they could have brought Elias back as the big bad because he is a fantastic bad guy
    spader is really good at being bad in the blacklist
    criminal minds, Ncis deserves some love here too

Comment by sarah – December 28, 2013 04:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • #12 Best comedy duo Elizabeth (yes) Karen (hell no), so sick of the doe-eyed innocent look and child voice. Please, if she has enough balls to sleep with her married patient, then she has it in her to act like a grown azz woman! Worst character ever!

Comment by jessieboy – December 28, 2013 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nathan Fillion should be listed in the most under rated actor. He does a terrific job with both comedy and Drama. Target & Hunt are my 2 favorite eps of Castle this season as he was TERRIFIC. I so wish the Emmy s would get a Dramady category for shows like Castle that do both so well.

Comment by Angie J. (@AngSioux) – December 28, 2013 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I respectfully disagree! The character of Shaw still bores the hell outta me!! She will be the downfall of Person of Interest!! This show has become a JOKE!

Comment by Meg – December 28, 2013 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shaw, are you serious, one most boring characters in the whole year.

Comment by Dandy – December 28, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Annie was indeed everywhere this year. I hope she gets more regular roles in her career.

Comment by Brendan – December 28, 2013 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dunno, Red had some pretty great monologues.

Comment by Gilda – December 28, 2013 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, I shared a lot of the same opinions with the TVLine critics in this list. I was a little worried after I disagreed so much with the previous list

Comment by Elaine – December 30, 2013 01:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ohhhh that Fringe moment! You reminded me and now I have all the feels again

Comment by Anita – December 31, 2013 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Beau Bridges’ talent is wasted on a silly show like The Millers.

Comment by Lily – January 2, 2014 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post