Sneak Peek: Castle's Coming in Hot in 2014

It’s “the circle of life” on ABC’s Castle when Beckett & Co. investigate a death just as Detective Ryan and wife Jenny await the birth of their first child.

PHOTOS | TVLine Readers Share Their 2014 Wish List for Castle, Glee, Big Bang, Grey’s and More!

As seen in these photos from the Jan. 6 episode “Under Fire,” Castle and Beckett — with an assist from Army Wives‘ vet Wendy Davis — discover that the victim of a building fire was actually shot to death, putting them “hot” on the trail of a serial arsonist-turned-murderer.

Amidst it all, Jenny goes into labor, though “disaster threatens to ruin her and Ryan’s joyous moment.” (Eep. What do you think that‘s about? The hospital runs out of epidural?)

RELATED | Castle Creator Sheds Light on New 3XK Mystery, Beckett’s Reaction to That Song

Also guest-starring in the episode (though not in any of the photos) is Body of Proof alum Nicholas Bishop, playing Fire Chief Miller.

1. Michael says:

Thank you being a reputable news source.

2. Laysa says:

Ryan’s gonna be in danger and will not be able to watch his child being born. And Rick and Kate are gonna assist Jenny. :)

3. Shane says:

Thank you for this. I was starting to get the shakes from my Castle withdrawal.

4. Christina says:

There’s a sneak peek over on TV Guide that gives you a pretty good idea of what the disaster is…
    Thanks for the pics Matt!

5. Teri Shannon says:

Bring us any news on Castle. It is hard to go these 6 weeks without it.

6. Jenni says:

When did Castle turn into a B-grade soap opera.

Another episode I won’t be watching live. At this rate I miss more than I watch.

• Jenni says:

The Soap Opera comment is based on other spoilers from Seamus, AWM et al.

SPOILER: Ryan and Esposito trapped in burning building. Jenny somehow at the scene, goes into labour and Beckett and Lanie deliever her. Ryan appears just in time.

As I said, clichéd, soapy and I won’t be watching.

• Christina says:

Wait for real? Wow, def more soapy than I expected. I thought it was a bit much just trapping him in a burning building when she’s set to go into labor.

• Just one thing says:

Not that soap operas own the market on this plot device, but I was hoping Beckett and Lanie’s presence would be more for moral support than anything. If you watch the sneak peek video that was released recently, the timing established may support that theory.
        I understand not watching based on spoilers, but maybe it’s worth checking out and thoroughly critiquing afterward?

7. Rich Abey says:

Way to relieve the tension from waiting all Christmas without any new Castle episodes…with Rysposito almost dying?

8. Apples says:

This was originally supposed to air later. I hope there are no continuity issues from the ep reshuffle.
    I’m not worried about the ep being soapy. It is co-written by Marlowe himself and David Amann (‘Disciple’, ‘3XK’ etc). I expect it to be tight and dramatic, personally, even if it uses a relatively cliched plot device.

• Michael says:

Castle is not a serialized drama like Scandal or Once Upon a Time.

• Apples says:

The character or relationship development does change over the course of the season. Not dramatically like in a glorified soap like Scandal, but enough for some fans like myself to notice- the ‘Nikki Heat’/’Poof You’re Dead’ swap in S3 is a notable example, because Castle’s break-up in the latter comes after he is single in the former.

• Just one thing says:

I wasn’t watching regularly back then. Why did they do that? Strange!

• Apples says:

I’m not sure though I’ve heard the theory touted that ABC wanted to come back from the winter break with the big guest star episode (Laura Prepon in NH). Another example is Still/TSATQ last year, though that was much more understandable in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombing.

9. Becky Ann says:

Oh god bind me up and gag me. I’m pirating this. I hate Jenny with the passion of a thousand suns (LOVE the actress and Seamus in real life, just not their TV counterparts!) and wish she would go away and take the baby with her and they never be spoken of again. It was all a horrible nightmare, something.

• Michael says:

Post like this are the reason why Nathan made the comment he did today. Grow up.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Yep.

• Just one thing says:

I can’t help but think Fillion was talking about comments far more serious and bizarre than that. The above individual at least recognizes the difference between characters and actors… That’s leaps and bounds ahead of a choice few.

• Michael says:

All the more reason why I drifted away from the fandom this year. I’ve grown annoyed with the “we hate Pi/Alexis” and the fact that it has now drifted to someone who appears in 1 or 2 episodes a season is just plain crazy. Sorry. But people need to cotnrol their anger and dislike of characters a bit more. In the end, the only thing people will remember is how fans become unhinged at certain characters.

• Luli says:

What comment?

10. GeoDiva says:

I’m sure we’ll get to see Ryan’s baby about as much as we saw of their wedding.

• Christina says:

Yea, at the end of the day, they just don’t get much air time. Not complaining though, I def prefer the Caskett stuff over Esposito/Ryan any day.

11. Erin says:

I just hope that the drama that comes with the second part of the season, don’t go as far as another “TSATQ-Watershed arc”, just that. Happy Holidays!!!

• Just one thing says:

Yes. A break in the same formula used toward the ends of Seasons 3-5 would be much appreciated.

• Ana says:

Yeah! I still want to see the if the writers explore more castle, I mean he said in watershed “How can i trust her?” and I know he propose after that and said “I don’t see myself living my life without you” in valkyrie but, that is some doubt in kate that should be developed I think… unless valkyrie sweep all of that under the rug…

• T says:

I agree with your comment about the “TSATQ-Watershed arc” and would add the FBI arc as well. Season 5 had some great episodes but overall it was my least favorite of the entire series. Season 6 is not much better (one big exception: Number One Fan was great because of an outstanding guest star, great Caskett interaction and great bromance). I am looking forward to some bromance because the Caskett romance is lost in the woods. I cannot understand why Mr Marlowe has turned the most chemically charged and decent couple on tv into the most boring. What a waste of talent.

12. Kelli says:

How much easier will it be to handle any rejection along
    the way when you know you have a list of prospects who actually contacted you and are waiting
    to hear from you. Hiking equipment should always fit the
    hiker, first and foremost. First of all, let me make
    clear that I’m not saying that you shouldn’t do any abs-specific exercises.

13. With nearly all of our jobs nowadays which
    require usage of computers and now you may take advantage of the internet, can one become really addicted.
    Two beyond three pathological gamblers commit
    illegal acts so that you can pay for gambling-related debts.
    If you would like to catch more carp it is very better to put them at their ease right.