TVLine's 2013 in Review, Part 1: Best and Worst Series, Episodes, Newcomers and More! Plus: Most Improved & Underrated -- 30 Titles Total!

The bulk of 2013 may already be in the rear-view, but at least in television terms, it’s been an unforgettable trip.

To celebrate a banner 12 months that strained our DVRs to the breaking point, left us clutching our couches in suspense and had us laughing loudly enough to occasionally alarm the neighbors, TVLine presents Part 1 of our Year in Review — including our selections for Best and Worst Drama and Comedy, Most Improved Series, Guiltiest Pleasure and even the Cancellation That Hurt Us the Most.

PHOTOS | TVLine Shares Its 2014 Wish List for HIMYM, New Girl, Sleepy Hollow, NCIS, S.H.I.E.L.D. and More!

So, click through the gallery below for our picks in 30 key categories — then come back on Friday and Saturday morning for Parts 2 and 3 of our 2013 wrapup. And, as always, when you’re done, hit the comments and tell us what you think we got right, which selections had you crying “blasphemy!” and which series you think we egregiously snubbed.

1. Esaul says:

Definitely can’t wait to catch up on The Good Wife. I don’t know why I ever let it slip from my shows!

• Angela says:

I’ve got a ridiculous amount of shows I need to catch up on/check out. “Hannibal” and “Sleepy Hollow” are on my “check out” list-I’ve got the latter saved in my DVR and I have tomorrow off. I know how I’ll be spending the day :D.

2. sian says:

you could have picked any episode of happy endings, cougar town, parks and recreation, brooklyn nine nine, community, modern family or new girl and it would still be better than the best episode of the big bang theory.

3. Chuck Finley says:

Breaking Bad should get a nod for “Best TV Drama Ever Made”. And yes I have seen The Shield, The Wire, and everything else on this list.

4. Kyle C. says:

Agree with these! Guiltiest Pleasure runner up should be Reign. It’s surprisingly good!

• Maggie says:

I started watching Reign for the costumes and the fantastic music (kudos to the creative team) and I stayed for the somewhat surprising chemistry of the leads and Queen Catherine’s fantastic one-liners!

• Ally Oop says:

Reign is my guilty pleasure. Even though I am critical about certain plots and historical inaccuracies I thoroughly enjoy it and look forward to it. It’s like watching a much better, less convoluted fairytale than Once Upon a Time.

5. Marlon says:

I agree with most of the list. Specially the ones about The Good Wife.

But in my opinion, the Best Series Finale should be FRINGE.

• Delirious says:

Not only Best Series Finale, but also ‘The Wire Memorial Award’ for World-Class Drama Ignored in Perpetuity by the Emmys. In fact, I’d totally support the creation of the ‘John Noble Award’ to the ugliest actor Emmy win/nomination snubs each year.

6. GabF says:

I am so glad that you included the Sleepy Hollow intro song. There was one episode that did not have it and I was so bummed when I realized they did not have it.

7. Jack says:

Why? Oh God why did you people had to remind me Siberia ever existed? Now I have to get another lobotomy …

8. renee says:

List is pretty good but Masters of Sex is missing. Best new series in my opinion.

9. Try Again says:

This gallery is a joke. “Betrayal” is definitely NOT the worst drama. We’re not watching the same show , i think. WTF ?.

• Esaul says:

Keep in mind this is TVLine’s opinions. You’re more than welcomed to your own. I think it’d be an interesting conversation if you created a defense of your love for Betrayal instead of saying “We’re not watching the same show.” What makes it great? The writing? Characters? Acting? Plot? Etc. :)

• Tim says:

I like betrayal too. People can sometimes be judgemental when it comes to infidelity and so bash the show.

• roz12 says:

Exactly, what can be worse than Under the Dome?

• C. says:

I had forgotten about that one! I’ve never watched Betrayal but I wonder if it can really be worse than Under the Dome as well.

• Tenney says:

I watched Under the Dome and I agree…. worst new show! The writing was so bad, yet I watched it all. It was like a bad accident; so terrible yet I couldn’t look away.

• Diva says:

Betrayal could have been portrayed better. I still watch the show but TVLine does make a good point. I never really got behind the infidelity because both of their spouses were pretty great. Also, I never got that feeling that they were really in love with each other and would risk everything to be with one another. In other words, there really wasn’t a good build up and it happened to fast and it ruined it.
      However, I do have to say now they’re starting to get in the groove of things and recently you start seeing the love they have for one another.

10. dartell S says:

The Millers is the worst show EVER!!! Ok the first show- Funny. 2nd show- The mom is way to annoying( to close to home) sorry  mom , it s true.3rd show- How ignorant can a grown man be? Please, is anyone buying this crap? I watch CBS more then any network, but not this crap!

11. MarkSnow says:

Most Underrated Drama: Person of Interest

12. steven says:

It’s no surprise that Happy Endings cancellation hurt the most. The show is Firefly 2.0. In 10 years, people will still be mourning the show, and want it to come back.

13. mellafe says:

I never agree with whole lists but I am 100% behind this one! The Good Wife is so, so good. I’m still in denial about Happy Endings :(

• Esaul says:

I’m ashamed I’ve never seen Happy Endings. I think I’ll give it a shot from some of these comments. I definitely do trust TVLine’s opinions (most of the time).

• Lana says:

I’ve never seen The Good Wife, but I agree with most of the rest of the list so I’m considering watching it. What other shows is it most like? When it started I thought it looked like yet another courtroom show… Is it best to start at the beginning or a later season?

• mellafe says:

I suggest starting at the beginning. It is a courtroom show but what really makes the show it’s the characters. Julianna Margulies is amazing in it an she’s the heart of the show. Also, her relationship with her husband and with her colleagues, with her kids.

• Izzie says:

Hi Lana, like mellafe said, start from the beginning. S5 is nothing like S1 BUT all seasons have something great about it. Watch the first few episodes just so you can see more or less what the show is about before you decide if you want to keep watching it or drop it (I highly hope it’s the former!). Not only is the cast great (Julianna Margulies, Josh Charles, Christine Baranski, Alan Cumming, etc) but so are its guest stars (Dylan Baker, John Noble, Carrie Preston, Michael J Fox, Matthew Perry, Mamie Gummer, Stockard Channing, to name a few. The list is long!). Some of the cases are actually quite interesting (best show to incorporate technology, imo) and the writing/directing is fantastic.

I hope you give the show a try!

14. Austin says:

Agreed with the majority of the picks! However, Parenthood should have won most underrated drama. :( But Hannibal is a great choice too so it’s okay. Oh, and OITNB IS definitely the best show to binge-watch.

15. Amy says:

Thanks for acknowledging the awesomeness of Parks & Rec. It feels like the show most everyone has forgotten about (including NBC).

16. JohnG says:

Big Bang Theory is the worst (and most overrated) comedy in the History of mankind. Dumbed-down humor that forces you to laugh.

17. cas says:

Wow the Good Wife over Breaking Bad for best drama? How many females do you have on your staff?

18. HeatherC says:

I still miss Happy Endings too. =(

19. Youn says:

Did the Big Bang theory has the best episode compared to parks, 30 rocks or even Brooklyn nine-nine? I’m not a hater but I always think that Big Bang theory is overrated because of their juggernaut ratings and great comedies such as parks, 30 rocks and happy endings, just to name a few, always left behind

20. asm says:

Mindy project, really? I just feel sad for all the other actors there that are underused. I get it that it’s all about mindy, but man, it’s so sad that the other characters are just like props to her. Like she’s the master/queen/whatever because she’s the producer/creator/whatever. Get over yourself mindy!

21. A.D. says:

2 shows that should have never been canceled are Happy Endings and Don’t Trust the B— in Apartment 23. Person of Interest is the most underrated drama. Dads is not as bad as people make it out to be. People need to start watching Trophy Wife! Drama of the year is Game of Thrones or Arrow. Best comedy is Big Bang Theory.

• Jaye Peso says:

Happy Endings should have never been cancelled, that show is great, the chemistry between all of those characters was awesome.. I keep hoping to see Jane show up on The New Girl, lol

• dragenphoto says:

Happy Endings went over the kill-line after the second season. Shows need to die when the writers run out of story and start overplaying the characters’ faults to an extreme. Cougar-Blonde on Happy Endings went from the little idiot to someone who couldn’t even clothe herself. The black guy went from adorably feminine to a full-blown queen.

22. Elena says:

What about The Blacklist for best new drama? It gets great reviews and I love it! James Spader rocks!

23. Jennifer says:

SERIOUSLY!? With all the “reality” crap that supposed to pass for quality tv and all the crappy drama/comedy shows that have been on far to long you really think Betrayal is not only bad, but the worst? Clearly you and I have different ideas of what that means. Betrayal isn’t a great show but isn’t that why the media makes up terms like “guilty pleasure”? To justify why anyone would watch shows like this?

24. John says:

I’m just surprised there’s no love for the Blacklist on here. I admit I came around on Sleepy Hollow, but I don’t know that it’s better than the Blacklist, just saying.

• bonesfan says:

This..I like both SH and and The Blacklist. .but I think TBL is a lot better. James Spader is absolutely brilliant.

• jenferner8 says:

I love them both, but remember they are two completely different shows. I was going to try Hostages but caught repeat of premiere of Blacklist and I was hooked. My DVR only records two shows at once, which is all I need or want, and I already have Castle on so Hostages had o go.

25. Stormy says:

Feeling a little left out here. I don’t watch any of these shows, which is not a judgement against any of them. Hmph.

26. Amanda says:

Surprised the Blacklist isn’t the Best New Drama…don’t get me wrong, I like Sleepy Hollow, but Blacklist has me a little more interested…
    Shoot me, but I like Dads, to me that’s a show you can’t take seriously like a Will Ferrell movie. If you go in expecting to be educated or a plot, you will be upset, but if you just listen to the jokes…it’s actually pretty funny…they just don’t offend the Asians either, if any race should be upset, I would think it’s Jewish people, cause that’s who they offend the most, Hispanics second….It’s Seth McFarland for goodness sakes, did you really expect the man who writes “Family Guy” to not have some offensive material? lol

• Ally Oop says:

I like The Blacklist but I don’t love it. Currently, it just has too much of a procedurally feel to it. I loved it after the first episode but after every episode I am left liking it less.

27. Karen says:

Would’ve switched The Good Wife and Breaking Bad for best drama. Otherwise a good list

• Agreed. I love The Good Wife and it’s one of my favorite shows, but there’s nothing this year that’s even remotely close to being as tragically moving as Ozymandias or had as satisfying an ending as Felina. The Good Wife also had some glaring flaws like last season’s story about Kalinda’s husband and this season with Will’s seemingly random new girlfriend. The worst thing I can say about Breaking Bad’s final 8 episodes is that they shouldn’t have been dismembered from the previous 8.

28. Brandy says:

I agree with Carrie Diaries,Reign

29. Jen says:

I love that TVLine loves Cougar Town. Cul-de-sac crew for life.

30. C says:

Suprised “Dexter” was not given Worst Series Finale.

31. Andrea says:

SO HAPPY a blog site remembered The Killing in its Best Of lists.

32. Jaye Peso says:

I Miss Happy Endings Sooo Much!

33. soakedpancakes says:

I like how there were only runner’s-up when it was convenient for your staff. Where’s the consistency?

Betrayal certainly isn’t good, but it sure isn’t the worst drama. How could you mention a tumor like Siberia, and then claim a show that’s actually bearable to be even worse?

The lack of any awards for Game of Thrones throws a lot of your validity out the window.

Picking Graceland for best good show that too few people are watching is a joke. Graceland was good, but it wasn’t that good. It pretty much received the audience that it deserved. Now if we’re actually going to be talking about new shows that deserve higher ratings, let’s bring Orphan Black and Rectify (both of which were jaw-droppingly good!) into the conversation.

Here’s a few potential categories for next year… Best surprise comeback, best effects, best music, best show with potential, show that wasted the most potential, best creepy/unsettling show, best mini-series/tv movie.

34. Bonesfan47 says:

This list is missing Bones I mean that wedding episode was amazing and they brought back everyone but one squintern for it too!!! That was the best episode in a drama and Bones is the best drama I would also put Bones as the most underrated drama I mean how they never give Emily Deschanel a nomination for an Emmy or a Golden Globe I will never understand

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Folks, this is Part 1 in a series. Many, many more categories to be covered!

• Elena says:

Totally agree. We’ve watched every episode of Bones from the beginning. Emily deserves at least a nomination. . . she’s fantastic!

• Sandra Holl says:

Emily deserves an award because she is a fantastic actress! How Zooey gets nominated all the time and Emily doesn’t, I do not understand!!! Emily is at least as good an actress as Zooey and in my opinion even better! I wish the people who nominate could see that!!!!!

• Sarah says:

@Bonesfan47

I totally agree with you about B&B’s wedding. It should have been “Best Single Episode (Drama)”, IMO. Or at the very least “Runner-up”.

• Sandra Holl says:

I agree 100%!!! Bones gets slighted all the time!!! They are the BEST SHOW ON TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35. Maryann says:

MOST OVERRATED DRAMA: The Good Wife

BEST NEW DRAMA: The Blacklist

BEST DRAMA: Game of Thrones

MOST OVERRATED COMEDY: The Andy Samberg Show aka Brooklyn Nine Nine

MOST IMPROVED: The Mentalist (reboot)

MOST NAUSEATING: Hannibal

WORST SERIES FINALE: Siberia

BEST MIDSEASON FINALE ARC: Person of Interest

BEST BRITISH IMPORT: Luther

BEST NON-BRITISH IMPORT: Les Revenants (The Returned)

BEST NEW SUMMER SHOW: Graceland

ENDANGERED SHOW WE ARE MOST WORRIED ABOUT: Beauty and the Beast

ENDANGERED SHOW WE ARE LEAST WORRIED ABOUT: The X Factor

DRAMA WE MOST WISHED THE CRITICS GAVE MORE LOVE: Betrayal

BEST ENSEMBLE: Downton Abbey

• K2 says:

I LOVE The Returned! It is the creepiest show (in a good way…)

• Diva says:

If you think The Good Wife is overrated, you clearly have not invested your time in watching all the seasons up to Hitting the Fan because if you did, you wouldn’t be saying that.

• James Butler says:

I have to agree that the good wife is somewhat overrated as a drama because of the emphasis on the infidelity aspect of the show. No episode is dramatized with out a flashback of a coitus reminder and the idea of the good wife going forward always seems to be looking back It could be a great drama with more litigation and confrontation between law firms and less about am adulterous affair between a married woman and her lover.

• mrs dee schwartz says:

Betrayal is horrible agreed, but I never hear anyone mention the worst, “Hostages”, the most impossible plot and storyline. No one ever mentions this weekly disaster, What’s up?

• Ally Oop says:

Great extra categories! My picks for your extra categories:

MOST OVERRATED DRAMA Mad Men
      MOST OVERRATED COMEDY Modern Family
      MOST NAUSEATING Criminal Minds or Hannibal
      BEST BRITISH IMPORT Waterloo Road
      ENDANGERED SHOW WE ARE MOST WORRIED ABOUT Revolution
      ENDANGERED SHOW WE DON’T GIVE A CRAP ABOUT X-Factor
      DRAMA WE MOST WISHED THE CRITICS GAVE MORE LOVE Parenthood
      BEST ENSEMBLE Parenthood

A couple extra categories from me:

BEST QUEEN B Juliette Barnes, Nashville
      BEST BAD GUY Klaus, The Originals
      TV SHOW YOU WOULD MOST WANT TO LIVE IN How I Met Your Mother
      TV SHOW YOU WOULD LEAST LIKE TO LIVE IN The Walking Dead
      TV FAMILY YOU WOULD NEVER WANT TO BE A PART OF The Bates, Bates Hotel
      VETERAN SHOW MOST LOSING STEAM Vampire Diaries
      A SHOW YOU MIGHT QUIT WATCHING SOON Glee

36. tbaecht says:

To me the cancellation that hurt most was Bunheads. ABC Family should be ashamed of the horrible treatment that it gave this excellent show.

37. Grey says:

How the heck did “The Returned” not win for best title sequence!?!?

38. Laura says:

Seriously? No, The Blacklist… This makes me question the integrity of this list.

39. STP says:

where is orphan black on this list?

• Nikki says:

I wondered the same thing.

• MissHeels says:

Me too. I didn’t really disagree with much on the list, but they could have put a few more entries for sci-fi/fantasy shows (also missed game of thrones), since nobody seems to judge this types of shows in the same category as the other dramas.

40. cheryl says:

Love, Love, Love Graceland! I can’t wait for it to return!

41. cuius says:

BEST CAMEO by an Editor in Chief in WORST FILM – no comment

42. Gaara says:

I like Hannibal a lot, but imo the most underrated of them all is, without a shadow of a doubt, Banshee. Really, way more people deserve to know about it.

43. tabularasalocke says:

How did 30 Rock’s finale beat Breaking Bad?? Also lacking on any love for Game of Thrones or Orphan Black.

44. SVUnCI says:

I love Sleepy Hollow’s opening credits, but I feel that American Horror Story’s opening credits is way better this season than past seasons.

45. Really says:

Most Underrated Drama : Switched At Birth
    Most Underrated Comedy : Suburgatory
    Most Disappointing Show : The Tommorow People
    Best New Show That Too Few Are Watching : Rogue
    Cancellation That Hurt the Most : Bunheads / Deception
    Endangered Show I’m Most Worried About : Nashville
    Endangered Show I’m Least Worried About : Reign
    Guiltiest Pleasure : Devious Maids
    Best New Drama : The Blacklist / The Following
    Mid-Season TV-Show I’m Most Excited To Watch : Enlisted / Helix

• SVUnCI says:

Best New Show That Too Few Are Watching : Rogue

I guess nobody really is watching it since I’ve heard no mention of the show in the 358 or so many days since the year started.

• Ally Oop says:

The Canadian production partner cancelled the series but the American production partner said they were continuing on with it. I’m not sure if it will be coming back.

46. Spencer says:

Praisin’ Jesus right now about Parks getting best comedy! I’ve been saying that since day one!

47. A says:

I will miss Brad and Jane forever. Best married tv couple of all time. RIP Happy Endings

48. Maria says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who has gotten attached to The Carrie Diaries. Hands down one of the best teen dramas in recent years. It’s a shame that very few are watching it because the show is full of charm. Not to mention, nearly all of the characters are likeable.

49. prish says:

Worst Series Finale — GLADES

50. Pati says:

Is Dracula still on, I only saw the first episode, it wasn’t great but I was going to watch the other episodes at some point but if its cancelled… Also, I like Betrayal it really is not that bad.

• Margaret says:

Dracula deserve a second season.the time slot is the worst on TV.I never watch it live.Thank God for DVR.After 10pm Friday night people are ready to go out. It deserve a better time slot and a second season to be NBC top notch show