Revenge Sneak Peek: What Does Death-Defying Emily Have to Say to Her Shooter?

When ABC’s Revenge returns on Sunday, Jan. 5 with the first of three new, pre-hiatus episodes, it appears that Emily herself could greatly benefit from an extended “Previously On…” refresher.

In this first look at the episode “Homecoming,” in which “allies and enemies scramble to learn what happened the night of Emily’s wedding,” Daniel (played by Josh Bowman) visits his bullet-proof bride (Emily Van Camp) in the hospital, one-half unhappy to see her breathing, one-half anxious that she’ll finger him as the shooter.

RELATED | Is Revenge‘s Daniel Blind? And Many More TV Qs!

But Emily, too, has questions in the wake of what happened on the boat (though to her first one, I’d simply say, “Um, look around the room…?”). The twist to come is an oldie but a goodie, begging us to wonder if she’s putting on a performance, and if so, for how long can she keep it up?

RELATED | Revenge Boss on Why Daniel Shot Emily – Plus, Scoop on Victoria’s Upper Hand, Aiden’s Past and More

As a TV enthusiast, this isn’t your first trip to the amnesia rodeo — how do you predict things will play out?

Loading video...

1. Carla says:

She better be faking it…

• cheweyone says:

Foks, it is a sitcom, imagination and impossible things have happened during this entire thing, relax and just see what goes on.

2. Renz says:

I think that she’ll have a legitimate case of amnesia at the start. But I think that her memory will return but she’ll continue to play this card in order to fly under the radar.

3. wrstlgirl says:

I am very disappointed that they are going this route. Faking it or not, it’s lame.

4. Dee says:

Producers have said she won’t be faking it so I am interested to see amnesiac Emily who has no clue about her revegenda or anything like that interact with the other Hamptonites

5. IMHO says:

If she’s NOT faking and they’re going to pursue the amensia storyline then the show has Offically Jumped the Shark

• Tookie Clothespin says:

Can it really be a shark jumping moment if the show runner has admitted that it is a cheesy storyline and the only reason why they are doing it is becuase every other soap opera has already done it?

• wrstlgirl says:

The fact that they admit that makes it even worse IMHO. I will be watching but I expect a lot of eye rolling will be happening.

• aciel says:

the showrunner said that they are doing it because it fits in well with the storyline the fact that emily was shot 2 times in the stomach and fell to the water which pretty cold kind of makes sense why she has amnesia. some people would even die staying in cold water for long.

• catelyn says:

how does getting shot in the stomach give someone amnesia? that doesn’t make any sense. Actually, if there isn’t a coherent explanation for why she has amnesia, that would probably be my biggest issue with the storyline.

• Ray says:

It doesn’t. I’m assuming the amnesia will be attributed to banging around the bottom of the ocean floor for a bit. Still, they will be relying on a conceived and lame soap opera trope.

• tjmack says:

I’m sure that the amnesia isn’t caused from getting shot. It could be caused from extreme blood loss (as you can tell in the sneak peek, she’s got an iv hooked up feeding her blood), hitting her head hard, or the extremely cold temps of the water. Any or all of that could possibly cause amnesia. I actually think that this storyline/twist could be really awesome for the show. Seeing Emily in the “enemies” den, but not knowing it’s the enemy.

• Candace says:

Right. I’m thinking it’s possible that she could’ve bumped her head on a buoy or something while floating in the water.

• Ginger Snap says:

OMG, you guys are looking for all kinds of ways to rationalize a soap opera plot trick. I work in the medical profession. She would have to have significant head trauma to lose her memory. Blood loss ain’t gonna do it. At most she would have some short term memory loss around the event ( shooting).
          ______________
          This is 100% a plot driven trick. If you like the show, enjoy the ride. But don’t overthink things. It’s a cheesy trick.

• Brendan says:

Oh come on, this show has always stretched the boundaries with crazy soap opera moments – the multiple dead body cliffhangers, the pregnant woman getting hurt, the ‘dead’ people coming back in later seasons, the dead relatives showing up alive, the relatives that nobody ever mentioned showing up unannounced, the surprise paternity results, the babies that are born and then mostly shown sleeping, the ‘oh darn, another dead body to bury’ fireside talks… yea, not to mention all the constant blackmail and secrets and lying and gossiping. The only thing left was amnesia and evil twin – and I think the evil twin might come in season five. And I love every juicy crazy moment of it!

• B says:

I agree with Brendan. This show has always been full of crazy soap opera moments and with the exception of a few season 2 moments, I love it. If you don’t like these plot devices, then why are still watching? Also, I don’t think one has to have head trauma to have amnesia. When one experiences shock and trauma, sometimes the brain represses these memories. And in Em’s case, experiencing such a revenge fail when she’s always been in control, I think she’d definitely want to block that out for a little while! Chick needs a revengenda break! lol

• catelyn says:

People continue to watch a show with issues because they like the show and still have hope that it improves. If everyone who hates this storyline suddenly decided to stop watching, it won’t even get a new season because of the awful ratings.
          Also, just because a show is a nightime soap doesn’t mean it have to get downright ridiculous and stupid.

• aciel says:

i’m not trying to say that if people don’t like a particular story line they should stop watching the show but i think that people shouldn’t be so quick to judge before they have seen something play out and btw this show has always been a ridiculous soap but at the same time its fun and entertaining

• Cameron says:

The entire second season was jumping the shark. This season is downright realistic by comparison.

6. Kristina says:

Can’t say I really love this idea. But maybe it will give us a chance to see another side of Emily, so I guess it could be a good thing.

• jackie says:

I love the show it is insanely fantastic, Love all the characters they play their parts well, anyway if its not fantasy why watch it we have enough of reality on the 6:00 o’clock news!

7. S says:

I’m also a little wary of this storyline, but I’ve resolved to not judge or dismiss it until I see it play out. From this clip, it looks like Emily VanCamp will get to stretch some different acting muscles, and she seems poised to do it well.

8. Kayla says:

I think this could actually be fun- seeing Emily out of her element and out of control. I could totally picture her getting her memory back and then faking the amnesia.

9. ZmaX says:

I know that amnesia is a soap opera cliche but it works really well here. This amnesia put Emily at her weakest place possible. All these years she has been the one with all the secrets and plans and has been – just as Victoria called her-a “Predator”, stalking her prey. Now the roles are reversed. Her new husband tried to kill her and her Archenemy Victoria knows that she’s been planning something for the past decade, but Emily’s in the dark now. This sets up a whole new dynamic in the show and paves the way for Emily to triumph over this obstacle and finally have a satisfying victory at the end of this season (Which the show runner has mentioned.)

Plus, it’s nice to see Emily with out all of her painful baggage closing her off. She is in a sense innocent now and back to her childhood, which will help her and Jack reconnect again.

• adona says:

That’s the aim : childhood stuff and Jack reconnection, who likes innocent girl. Maybe I’m mistaken by there is a fragrance of pedophilia in the air.

• ren says:

……….. what? are you drunk?

• adona says:

Not really, I’ve got hat impression after reading SN’s interview. In that show they explore sexuality through hetero, homo, bi, poly relationships, and now the improbable may come to shock us even more. Moreover, they will apprehend the little Emily (a figure) in an adult body, and that reminded me Peter Pan (syndrom), and Neverland.

10. David says:

I wonder when her memory will start to come back.. will she remember she’s Amanda Clark before any of the emily thorne revengenda. Wasn’t there scoop awhile back that someone is going to find out who she really is in these 3 episodes?

11. Amy says:

Real Amnesia is just YUCK! Keep it dark and edgy!!

12. Lee says:

Ugh!!!! if they are going with the 10pm slot, real amnesia and childhood flashback may not go down well:) listen to the audience

13. Brit says:

Anyone else think she’ll get her memory back right before the show goes on hiatus until March?

• Dee says:

I believe episode 13 is called Hatred so it sounds like she will get her memory back by then. It seems like this amnesia thing will only last a couple of eps so I won’t complain. This storyline is the least of this shows problems.

• Ellen says:

The ep after the haitus is called “payback” so yes I believe so too

14. maxisatroll123 says:

even though i’m not really a big fan of this story line i really hope that they handle it properly otherwise it will loose a lot of viewers and this show can’t afford to loose anymore viewers seeing that its already down to 6 million viewers with a 1.5 rating.

15. Ray says:

I want Emily to turn to Daniel from her hospital bed and say, “Smell my finger!”

16. Pauli says:

I’m not hating on this as much as other people seem to be. As long as it doesn’t last more than 2 or 3 episodes, I’ll be fine. I think this could be a really interesting side of Emily to explore. I’m predicting she’ll get her memory back at the end of the second episode, but she’ll keep faking to get the upperhand on the Grayson’s.

17. Aussie says:

Farewell Emily Thorne all hail the rise of the real amanda Clarke

18. Luli101 says:

I will only like it if it is Jack that causes her to get her memory back! Ha!! (Cheesiest thing I’ve said in a while)

19. Terry says:

Rolled my eyes so far back in my head they almost got stuck.

20. Rachel says:

Is everyone forgetting that they already did this ( to some extent) to Lydia!?

21. Boiler says:

Seems like an awful lot of griping when there is no real clue what will happen except for 1st episode back.

22. Jess says:

Awww. Love AIMILY

23. Elle says:

Did anyone else see someone push some kinda drug into that IV??Maybe thats given her amnesia?Dunno anyway i lurv this show,if ya dont like it dont watch it!!