Farewell, How I Met Your Mother: The Sitcom's Top 10 Most Memorable Song Moments

Get More: Lists

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother‘s 200th Episode Will Revolve Around [Spoiler]

EPISODE | “The Window” (Season 5, Episode 10)
THE SONG | “Two Weeks” by Grizzly Bear

The Girl Next Door gets away from Ted, but Maggie gets her own happy ending with The Boy Next Door, in the second greatest love story Ted’s ever heard, all set to the sounds of Grizzly Bear.

EPISODE | “The Naked Truth” (Season 7, Episode 2)
THE SONG | “Victoria” by The Kinks

In a case of major foreshadowing, “Victoria” ushered in the return of Ted’s ex of the same name.

EPISODE | “The Final Page: Part 2″ (Season 8, Episode 12)
THE SONG | “Let Your Heart Hold Fast” by Fort Atlantic

Barney’s epic proposal to Robin was capped with an equally memorable tune that clutched at the heart.

EPISODE | “Something New” (Season 8, Episode 24)
THE SONG | “Simple Song” by The Shins

Now and forever known as The Song They Played When They Finally Revealed The Mother.

EPISODE | “The Lighthouse” (Season 9, Episode 8)
THE SONG | “Try a Little Tenderness” by Otis Redding

This classic was the perfect choice to bring out Ted’s old-fashioned romantic side as he proposed to The Mother.

EPISODE | “Arrivederci, Fiero” (Season 2, Episode 17)
THE SONG | “I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)” by The Proclaimers

Bonus song! It wouldn’t be a HIMYM playlist without this staple, which has made multiple appearances on the show. Shockingly, we’re still not sick of it.

What are your favorite HIMYM tunes? Hit the comments with any that didn’t make our cut.

Pages: 1 2

Comments (56)

• I don’t know the name of the song, but its something like “Glad Girls” in the lyrics, it plays as (in a “if I had known” sequence) Ted runs and hugs everyone on the street that lead to him running into Stella on the street corner and getting the NYU Professor job. I seriously tear up whenever I hear that song now.

Comment by Soopah Soopah Soopah – December 26, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Glad Girls by Guided By Voices

Comment by Rachel – December 26, 2013 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the one they forgot was Shake it out by Florence and the machine, that was one of my favorites in the season 7 episode “No pressure”

Comment by Brian – December 26, 2013 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree!

Comment by Rachel – December 26, 2013 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Was just about to point this out. Definitely one of the show’s best music moments. The lyrics were a spot on reflection of what was going on, especially of Ted’s feelings. “I could never leave the past behind, I can see no way, I can see no way.”

Comment by Michelle – December 26, 2013 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Florence + The Machine’s “Shake It Out.” One of the best musical choices of the series.

Comment by mictori – December 28, 2013 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, that is one of my favorits moments too. The song and the scene fits perfectly.

Comment by thi86 – December 27, 2013 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know this is about “real” songs used, but Robin’s Mall song is the best.

Comment by GeoDiva – December 26, 2013 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That song is on Just Dance 3 of all video games.

Comment by steven – December 26, 2013 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew Victoria was coming back the second I heard the song. Benefit of being a fan of the Kinks. Also, so loved Simple Song.

Comment by Tom Charles – December 26, 2013 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I couldn’t get Simple Song out of my head for days after the finale. Such a great song.

Comment by LOST – December 26, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One the songs I greatly enjoyed hearing and was suprised wasn’t in this list was George Harrison’s “Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let it Roll)”. It really is an extraordinary song as well as how they place it in the show, revealing Barney is the one getting married!

Comment by Hbb – December 26, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. You rarely hear a George Harrison song on TV or movies (except maybe “What is Life”), so this was a delight.

Comment by side3 – December 27, 2013 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Forest Whitaker” by Bad Books in the final sequence of the last episode (“Bass Player Wanted”) was just perfect. Also “The Funeral” by Band of Horses in the wedding’s flashforward in season’s 8 premiere “Farhampton.”

Comment by NJD – December 26, 2013 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree!!!!
      I just saw the episode and was in tears……
      (Though that might be because the show’s coming to an end and I got no more till Jan)

Comment by A2i9 – December 29, 2013 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So they saved the best song for last. “And I will walk 500 miles, and I will walk 500 more”.

Comment by steven – December 26, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about AC/DC’s Highway to Hell in Symphony of Illumination?

Comment by Kristina – December 26, 2013 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This was the first one that went through my head when I saw the title of the article. Was disappointed it didn’t make it (but hard to knock many of the others). I totally thought about it this year over Christmas.

Comment by Elizabeth – December 26, 2013 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Drumroll, Please is one of my absolute favorite standalone episodes – Michael Buble’s “You Don’t Know Me” beautifully underscores the scene where Ted and Victoria dance alone after the wedding (though it tragically was swapped out on the DVD).

Comment by wordsmith – December 26, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES! I was going to post this. I also loved the use of “Soul Meets Body” when Ted first sees Victoria at the end of “The Wedding” (I just love the crap out of those two episodes). I also agree with the above omission of “Shake It Out”. That was a great moment that felt so final… until the writers made it not so… *sigh* you can’t win them all.

Comment by Rene – January 2, 2014 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I gotta go with Fort Atlantic’s “Let Your Heart Hold Fast” from ‘The Final Page/pt 2′.

The song fit the scene perfectly, not only for Robin and Barney atop the WWN bld., but also for Ted, as he looked out the window of the GNB tower towards the rooftop of the WWN bld across town.

Comment by Goodbye Universe Guy – December 26, 2013 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to go with the Murder Train Song, thats the only thing I remember from the episodes I watch

Comment by Jester – December 26, 2013 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what I was thinking! I hope that songs makes an appearance during the final season. It cracks me up every time.

Comment by Kellie – December 27, 2013 04:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rewind by Goldspot is one of my favorite moments.

Comment by Matt Mueller – December 26, 2013 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love that song!! They also had another song ‘If The Hudson Overflows” on the show. Love that band.

Comment by Ian – April 1, 2014 06:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about “Voices” by Cheap Trick? This is when Ted was drunk and singing with the juke box.

Comment by saintarv – December 26, 2013 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “The Painter” from I’m From Barcelona, when Lilly is trying to paint enough pictures to show Marshal that she could make it as an artist, then we met the GCWOK’s.

Comment by Reba – December 26, 2013 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For the Longest Time by Billy Joel. That was another sad episode

Comment by Jennifer – December 26, 2013 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How is Murder Train not on here? It’s one of my favorite recurring tidbits in the show. Yes, I realize these are real songs, but we are talking about Murder Train!

Comment by Christine – December 26, 2013 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Solids – Soap up your Skin (seson 2 episode 18) this guys also created the legen wait for it dary show called HIMYM
    Pavement – Spit on a Stranger (season 1 episode 13) Ted and Victoria’s first kiss
    Kathryn Williams – Spit on a Stranger (season 7 episode 3) when Victoria said goodbye to Ted. That song was the beginning and almost end of Ted and Victoria’s relationship.
    The Blakes – Commit (season 3 episode 4).. this song is also used during the dvd bloopers of season 4.

Comment by Fernanda – December 26, 2013 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In “Swarly”, the song that plays when Marshall and Lily get back together: “Forever” by The Explorers Club…such a great song for a perfect moment!

Comment by Kyle – December 26, 2013 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Spit on a stranger by pavement when Ted finds Victoria in Drumroll please! At the time they didnt know Ifs victoria was going to be the mother or not and they made their first kiss soooo epic! This had to be on the list!

Comment by Jose – December 26, 2013 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, that’s still one of my top moments for the entire series, and the song really sold it. However, as I suggested above, I’d also nominate the use of Michael Buble’s “You Don’t Know Me” earlier in the ep when they are dancing alone and then she disappears on him.

That whole scene was beautiful and bittersweet and heartbreaking, and that song fit perfectly.

Comment by wordsmith – December 26, 2013 11:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what? no vampire weekend’s oxford comma? hahah

Comment by Crescente Canen Bao-as III – December 26, 2013 10:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nada Surf’s ‘Inside of Love’ as Ted waits for the Slutty Pumpkin on the roof at 2:43am…and Robin joins him. Great song and perfect lyrics … I’m on the outside of love, always under or above … Can’t find my way in, I try again and again…

Comment by thykara – December 27, 2013 05:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any show that plays a song by the Replacements (Here Comes a Regular) is ok by me.

Comment by SPF – December 27, 2013 05:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You Just Got Slapped.

Comment by Michael Rowan – December 27, 2013 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad that George Harrison’s Let It Roll wasn’t on the list. I thought it was perfect for those two moments in season six.

Comment by Cara – December 27, 2013 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk by Rufus Wainwright from the Last Cigarette Ever episode. Genius song and it fits nicely with the theme of the show because it talks about longings and cravings, some good and some bad, just like Ted’s longings to find the love of his life, some of the women were good and some bad.

Comment by Brent – December 27, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The episode “Shelter Island” may have been predictable. But for me, “Waiting for an Invitation” by Benji Hughes was a memorable song moment, just for the sheer poignancy of that last scene as it played out to that haunting song. Little did Ted (or we) know at the time just how long he’d be waiting!

Comment by april-ann – December 27, 2013 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ‘Simple Song’ in the end of Season 8 is my favorite! Finally seeing the mother was really memorable!.

Comment by Thiciane Diniz – December 27, 2013 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Stones” by Barbarossa in “A Change of Heart” from season 6. I loved it so much, I put it on my mp3 player.

Comment by Shari – December 27, 2013 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still say the most memorable song moment was For the Longest Time, sung by Ted and Barney, Ted and Barney, and Ted and Barney.

Comment by A fan – December 27, 2013 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ‘Careful’ by Michelle Featherstone in As fast as she can, as Ted talks to Stella near the closing of the episode.

Comment by abandonedriddle – December 28, 2013 04:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mother of Pearl by Roxy Music in the 1×21 episode “Milk” when Ted realizes he loves Robin.

Comment by Sarah – December 28, 2013 05:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hook Line and SInker by Jon Brion in the episode ‘Twin Beds’.

I’ve been binge viewing HIMYM this holiday break, preparing for the March finale, and think ‘Twin Beds’ is one of the best episodes. The song plays as Ted and Barney agree not to mess up Robin and Don’s new romance, despite the two bro’s obvious jealousy, but it is already too late. Ted goes home and finds Robin has already moved out – just the blue French horn remains in her old room.

“And I go for it every time, just like a heavy drinker, I go for it every time, hook, line and sinker.”

Interesting note about this episode that I’d forgotten – Robin becomes very frustrated with Ted and Barney and decides to leave the group, at least for a while, in order to give her relationship with Don the best possible chance of survival. She tells the two bros that being friends and constantly being around her two ex-boyfriends just doesn’t work. Almost the exact same words Victoria tells Ted in ‘Ducky Tie.’ And here I thought Victoria was the smartest woman in the room – but she has company.

Comment by Goodbye Universe Guy – December 28, 2013 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Florence + The Machine’s “Shake It Out” in the seventh season episode “No Pressure.” It’s playing when Robin moves out of Ted’s apartment and he leaves his building to a crowd of yellow umbrellas.

Comment by mictori – December 28, 2013 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry Vlada but you missed the best song to have come out from the show. Band Of Horses’ Funeral. That scene with Thomas Lennon in the Farhampton station when he describes the idea of soul mates to Ted. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H49jbunV7W4

Comment by Jasril Nazmi – December 28, 2013 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You Were Born – Cloud Cult. When baby Marvin is born :)

Comment by Jess – December 31, 2013 11:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also loved the use of “Souvenir” at the end of Episode 2 of Season 9. The piano notes and the vision of Ted and The Mother together for the first time was an absolute experience!

Comment by Rene – January 2, 2014 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season 1 Episode: Milk has the perfect song by Roxy Music called Mother of Pearl. That song is How I Met Your Mother in a nutshell.

Comment by Tru – January 21, 2014 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rivers and roads of The Head and The heart. When Ted met Robin on the roof after she was unproposed by her boyfriend (I forgot his name)

Comment by me – January 31, 2014 06:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • His name was kevin…And I totally agree with you! It was a really romantic moment and the song perfectly fits to it! Oh god,HIMYM is full of great songs! LOVE THE BEST SHOW! LOVE HIMYM! ♥

Comment by Nike19 – March 19, 2014 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Surprised that nobody has mentioned it but The Funeral by Band of Horses when Ted and the Mother are standing on the train platform in Farhampton (It also has fueled a few of the Mother is Dead conspiracy theories).

Comment by J Paul Chobaniuk – March 30, 2014 11:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t know how nobody has mentioned that song!!! Also, they used it in an instrumental version ALL throughout season 8 but nobody has noticed!!! Mother IS dead :( Cried myself to sleep that night.

Comment by Aundierae – April 9, 2014 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post