Ratings: The Sing-Off Slips to a Finale Low, Hollywood Game Night Returns Steady

Ratings Sing-Off Season 4 FinaleThe Sing-Offs Season 4 finale was watched by 5.2 million total people and scored a 1.3 rating on Christmas Eve Eve, down sharply week-to-week (7.3 mil/2.0) and off 13 and 19 percent from its previous, circa-Nov. 2011 closer, thus hitting a series low for a finale.

Leading out of that, a holiday edition of Hollywood Game Night – in which Rachel Bilson rocked the bonus round like a boss — drew 3.5 mil and a 1.0, up 25 percent in audience and flat in the demo versus its Aug. 30 Season 1 finale. (Season 2 kicks off Monday, Jan. 20.)

RELATED | Save the Dates! Your Guide to 150+ December Finales, January Premieres and More

Elsewhere and pending NFL-related deflation, ABC’s Great Christmas Light Fight closed its freshman run with 5.3 mil and a 1.4, up 33 and 40 percent week-to-week and on par with its season premiere. (With any luck, all those decorations will be down by Easter.)

Opening ABC’s night, Shrek the Halls (4.7 mil/1.2) was up 42 and 20 percent versus 2012, while A Chipmunk Christmas (4.6 mil/1.2) more than doubled its year-ago numbers. Ohhh-kay!

Comments (13)

• The Sign-Off’s air schedule was über compressed — 7 episodes between 12/9 and 12/23! Who can keep up with that real-time?

Comment by olita – December 24, 2013 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree – I love the Sing-Off, but they had too many episodes in such a short period of time. I had acapella fatigue after the first week!

Comment by Melissa – December 24, 2013 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is why I didn’t even watch any of it. I was too busy to keep track of it. It’s all on on-demand, and now I can watch it at my leisure. But I know who won. ;-)

Comment by uh huh – December 24, 2013 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THIS show is the best singing contest on TV….REAL singers, no orchestra, just plain clean fun. Why no one is watching is beyond me. If you like REAL music, and REAL voices the Sing-off is THE show

Comment by SallyinChicago – December 24, 2013 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was surpised at how much I loved this show and hope it will return on a once or twice a week basis. For me, it was the first time I watched a talent competition where the winner was the correct choice.

Comment by Romi – December 24, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope these ratings don’t kill The Sing-Off’s chances of being renewed. It is a terrific show, filled with fabulous performances and outstanding voices. Oddly enough, the only performances I didn’t really enjoy last night were those from the judges. Pat Benatar sang beautifully, but seemed out of place in the show. Thrilled with Home Free as winners and am eagerly awaiting music from them.

Comment by Bobbi – December 24, 2013 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jewel was phenomenal! I loved her and Home Free’s performance!

Comment by will – December 24, 2013 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like the sign-off… Jewel was a great judge to add!

Comment by Marc – December 24, 2013 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the last night of 2 hours was too long. To me, that’s a mistake to drag out the winners. One hour is long enough to get on and announce who the winners are. I was tired and switch to another station because I thought it was just one hour until I reread the schedule. I was not happy. That’s the same mistake the other shows made and are now correcting it with just one hour for the finale.

But the singing is OUTSTANDING! I love it because there’s no machine, orchestra, band, nothing. Just good harmony and hard work at singing. Good show and should been publicized more. And why was it on during Christmas break? I should be when the holidays are not around like in the beginning when they first started this show. I’ll be watching for the next show next year. I love it!

Comment by Apres Ski – December 24, 2013 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m glad The Sing Off came back, but it should have run from next week until the Olympics in February instead of now.

Comment by Meg – December 25, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the first time I was watching the show and I really like it. I hope it gets renewed again.

Comment by Mangochic – December 25, 2013 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely LOVE Hollywood game night, and yes, Rachel Bilson absolutely CRUSHED the bonus round!

Comment by stella – December 26, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is without a doubt the best musical show on TV. The talent, their vocal blend and the production behind the performances is first class entertainment. Now, will the network that gave Leno the door make another major mistake by not renewing Sing Off for 2014?

Comment by David – March 4, 2014 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post