Spoiler Alert!: Once's Wicked-Cool Sister Act? CBS Drama Headed For the Ax? Plus: Tragedy Rocks SOA and Homeland

blog_spoiler_12.20.13Did Once Upon a Time bury the (familial) lead when it announced that Lost‘s Rebecca Mader would be playing the Wicked Witch of the West?

In this week’s Spoiler Alert!, Matt Mitovich posits that the iconic she-devil will turn out to have very strong ties to a major Storybrooke-r.

And that’s not even MM’s boldest 2014 prediction.

He goes on to prophesize that a long-running CBS drama will not survive to see Fall 2014.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

Elsewhere in the final Sp’lert of 2013: We post-mortem the major season-ending deaths on Sons of Anarchy and Homeland (spoiler: we weren’t too crazy about one of ‘em), and preview the imminent departures of Donald Glover from Community and — if my prediction turns out to be true — Duck Dynasty from A&E.

Press PLAY below and then deposit your thoughts/theories/feedback in the comments!

1. Esaul says:

I’m countering your prediction with Blue Blood’s renewal and The Mentalist’s cancellation. :D I’m cynical I want Psych to last longer than The Mentalist. .

• carolyn says:

not me , I want mentalist.He makes a better psych. The other one is a stupid comedy cop show.I like the more serious ones. They’re are more believeable.

• TJanssen411 says:

I still watch Blue Bloods, so I’d like to see it continue,
      – but with it’s Huge cast (4 generations of the Family and 2-3 co-workers for each), episodic nature (no real arcs any more after the Templars and Jamie’s UC work), and everyone being Related (meaning they can’t easily write people out) there isn’t room to trim the fat outside of maybe reducing the Episodes Ordered
      – whereas Mentalist has recently saw some cast turnover, it has shifted direction and could get some mileage out of the new setting

and Psych did debut 2 seasons earlier, so even if Mentalist gets a 7th it’d come up short… and Psych has completed production if I recall, so its not like they’d be able to Brag about it if Mentaist went under

the Biggest nail in the Mentalist’s coffin is it’s position on Sunday night (getting Moved to Sundays after long stints on another night usually signals the end; CSI Miami, Without a Trace)

• Jo says:

actually the biggest nail in the mentalist is that it is a WB production where BB is a CBS one… SYNC money guys! they earn on one show getting more episodes where they get nothing from the other!

• Esaul says:

While this is true about Psych, there are two key things here: A.) The Mentalist if it’s not cancelled this year could easily survive another two seasons or so. It’s survived on Sundays for quite some time. B.) We don’t know if this is Psych’s last season. A lot of people seem to think so and while that is a sound theory we just don’t know. I’m sure USA Network is still waiting on this season’s ratings. C.) While Psych has been on longer The Mentalist has produced more episodes. I know Psych won’t ever come up with broadcast number episodes I can still hope! It’s great that it hit the 100 milestone episode to say the least. :)

• Jo says:

I am counting with an argument that isnt subjective… to why you are right here… Blue blood is CBS owned meaning that money from syncdeals and all goes right in their own pocket … while the mentalist is produced by WB and Primerose! meaning that the mentalist is sold/given to CBS… but they dont earn sync money and such on it… to CBS renewing a show they will later on get more money for is a better thing than the mentalist it will get nothing from in the future… why TGW and BB are both better deals for CBS!

• Esaul says:

There’s a lot of behind the scenes factors we’ll never know about. While your theory is perfectly sound and logical, we don’t know the logistics (I think this is the right word! Don’t begrudge me!) behind both shows.

2. Really interesting predicition for 2014 I disagree not only because I love Blue Bloods but I see The Mentalist going the ‘renewal’ is still sketchy for me. CSI also is also nearly hanging on if it even is. It has lost its feeling

I so hope you are wrong about Blue Bloods

Happy Holidays though

• Nichole says:

I agree with you, if one of the two shows has to go, would rather it be The Mentalist. While I enjoy both, Blue Bloods is more dynamic as a character driven drama then The Mentalist. Am glad they are over the Red John thing now, but will just have to see how the re-invention goes I guess, Fisher love interest angle for Jane (or am I just imagining that’s where they are trying to go) really doesn’t feel right, just doesn’t seem to gel. But hey, it’s only been two episodes of the “new” Mentalist.
      Mum watches CSI and agrees with you too, she hasn’t liked it since Ted Danson came on the show. For me I think CBS’s weakest hour long show is NCIS, really don’t get how it’s the highest rated scripted show in America, seems so stale and am not liking the new Bishop character. Don’t kill me for saying that, it’s just so predictable with pretty much the same format each week – open on someone getting killed or someone finding dead body, then opening credits, back to people arriving for work first thing in the morning and Gibbs walking in saying we’ve got a body, regardless of what time the opening showed the murder/find happening, they only seem to get assigned to a case first thing in the morning on weekdays.

• I agree with everything you have said except about NCIS but we are all entitled to our opinions and I respect that so don’t worry I won’t kill you

• Esaul says:

It’s a format that works for NCIS. They’ve done it long before now and it continues to work. And clearly it’s not the format that works either, but the chemistry of the cast. While I respect your opinion about NCIS as the weakest show on CBS, I disagree. They continue to bring in strong numbers for a veteran show. CSI would probably be the next veteran show to leave after The Mentalist. I can’t imagine CSI lasting more than another two/three seasons. It’s the second longest current drama behind SVU. Both have only so much life left. I think this year The Mentalist gets axed (probably more expensive than Blue Bloods but that’s a presumption), and then next year Blue Bloods, the following CSI, and depending where we are in two/three years time, Criminal Minds. I don’t think any of the current shows will outlive NCIS. As long as Mark Harmon stays on the show, I can see NCIS lasting longer than CSI. However if Mark Harmon ever leaves (and maybe a few more core cast members) I don’t expect the show to last.

• I totally agree with you about NCIS it is a format that works for the show but the way the cast works together is also critical.
          Personally I also see Mentalist not making it this year but I see CSI going before Blue Bloods at least that s my hope.
          Blue Bloods for a Friday night at 10 actually brings in quite a bit of viewers

• Caryl Piper says:

The team with weekend duty gets the weekend cases. In an earlier season, an episode established that NCIS teams rotate weekend duty. If memory serves, Gibbs’ team was called in on a weekend when the “weekend team” met with disaster.
        I agree with you that Bishop isn’t cutting it so far.
        Caryl

• tp says:

Bishop killed NCIS for me. I have been watching since the very beginning, maybe it’s just time for me to let it go. Sadly, I don’t seem to miss it. I enjoyed the episodes before Bishop came and was really surprised I didn’t miss Ziva.

• Ram510 says:

Finally somebody says it! NCIS is a weak show and I don’t understand how it get some many viewers (BTW is the most watched drama not the highest rated). I guess people like routine and predictability in their tv shows.
        Which may be the same people who would prefer to watch The Mentalist over Psych

3. Phyllis says:

Is Dallas returning?

4. “Once…” was also very Fringe season 4.

5. Maki says:

Loved the Once prediction, but doubt the Wicked W will be Regina’s sis, maybe Aunt. I don’t see Cora having an other child with anyone.

6. sharona says:

Your opinion abour CSI renewal ? :)

• Esaul says:

For me, as I mentioned in a comment prior I find renewing CSI a strong possibility. I’m fairly certain it brings a strong revenue over seas still. I don’t know if it was this past year or the year before where I read something on it or related to ratings over seas. I wish I could remember but alas. Anyway, I see CSI renewed for another two/three seasons at most. I can’t imagine CSI staying around too much longer since it is the second longest drama currently running.

7. Patty says:

I can’t stand what CBS does to The Good Wife on Sundays. It takes advantage of it’s loyal viewers who have to endure overruns from Sunday NFL Football and that ridiculous Amazing Race show. I can’t even successfully DVR the damn show because of it. It’s no wonder the ratings are low. But it is by far one of the best shows on television right now. I wish they would move it from Sunday night once and for all.

• Swazie says:

The Amazing Race is our favorite family show! In fact, with a double TiVo I dvr all of cbs programming and education. Sunday is such a great night for TV I watch it all week long on dvr. AR, Good Wife, Mentalist. Downtown Abby will be starting soon and Sherlock has new episodes soon (far and away the best made seties on TV and it’s free on public TV). Time push back doesn’t matter. Just record the entire night, add a NP hour and it’s the BEST full night on TV. I hate to think any of it will change.

• Esaul says:

I’m still surprised after all this time CBS hasn’t shifted The Good Wife. I’ve only watched bits of the first season and it’s mind blowing. I can only imagine how it is now! But they have faith in The Good Wife, that or it’s in syndication now and they make more money this way too.

• suzi says:

I love The Good Wife and The Amazing Race. When there are two football games scheduled, I set my DVR to record every show that’s on, even the 11;00pm local news, and I don’t miss anything.

• david says:

I agree about Good Wife. It makes it really tough and I end up scheduling my DVR to go over an hour to make sure I get it all. I didn’t like how they moved it against Desperate Housewives back when they did it – didn’t seem like a good idea back then. I think it would probably do better somewhere else.

• John 1138 says:

It’s easy to dvr: just add an hour or more to extend the recording. It’ll be there and easily found with a bit of fastforwarding.I’ll do that with most anything that has a live event in front of it that can run over.

• Doug H says:

Anyway with cable TV and a cable box can pretty much watch any of these shows with a DVR.. Only downside of On Demand is the inability to FF through commercial breaks that DVR’s can.. The back half of the schedule won’t have any delay problems except maybe during March Madness or possibly long golf broadcasts on CBS..

• KeithH says:

CBS twitters start times when there’s football over-runs so one can easily set their DVR.

• Kathy Agel says:

Try going into the individual series on your DVR and extending the recording time (there should be a setting for this — it’s in the sofrware for both models of our DirecTV DVRs). I have both TGW and The Mentalist set to record for 2-1/2 hours, and while it takes up some extra room, it’s worth it.

8. sara says:

Is Once Upon a Time trolling people now? Everyone being related is such a joke and so ridiculous that it can’t be anything but the writers just having given up on anything but being a troll.

9. Kathy says:

I also believe that it will be The Mentalist that will be cancelled long with CSI which I think CBS will move Person of Interest in CSI time spot, and Tuesday night will be NCIS night with the orginal, LA, and the other one currently be developed for the network.

• @Kathy thank you someone who also agrees with me. And your TV shifting also makes sense moving person of interest to the wed time slot

• Ranna says:

CBS wont be canceling CSI this season. Unlike POI they actually own CSI and make lots of money through syndication. If there comes to any changes they will move it either to Sunday or Friday. But i wouldnt expect cancelation for CSI, since its the 2nd highest 10 PM drama on CBS. POI will air its 4 seasons on CBS and then it will get the Mentalist treatment.

10. Kyle C. says:

Rebecca Mader is going to be an amazing Wicked Witch. I hope she becomes a regular and is a very intimidating villain that rivals even Regina.

• Trista says:

I think she is meant to “replace” Regina as the villain (at least for a time) – now that regina will be back in the Enchanted Forrest she has a lot to make up for and a true love to find.

11. Jenna says:

TM has retooled nicely and I hope it continues. BB seems to be an anchor for Friday nites, so I would be surprised if it’s cancelled, and it pairs well with H5O. I use to watch CSI, but it is totally creatively dead. If it weren’t for CM’s lead-in, as well as the total lack of competition on the other main networks, it would not have the viewers that it does. It was once popular internationally, but I think it has dropped off on that as well. Of CBS’ dramas, CSI should go. IMO.

• Esaul says:

I believe CSI is still profitable over seas rating wise. There was a PR on it a year or two ago I can’t remember exactly. Not saying you’re wrong of course with the desire to see CSI cancelled I haven’t truly watched since William Petersen left.

• david says:

I agree with that. Friday is difficult to program and CBS has found a lot of success with Blue Bloods in that slot and I don’t think they would find as much success with other programming. I think it will be interesting to see what happens when Hannibal gets back as it’s going head to head with Blue Bloods and I think it’s probably the biggest competition that Blue Bloods has had in a while. ABC doesn’t program anything strong in that slot (20/20, WWYD) against it and it’s not like Dracula has had a ton of viewers. Blue Bloods in many ways is the best of the police shows on CBS (with Good Wife being the best drama) and I just can’t see them getting rid of it. Plus the number of viewers that it brings in is significant. While CBS has cancelled shows with a lot of viewers before I think with the landscape of the other networks at the moment it would probably be appealing to one of them to pick it up.

I think Duck Dynasty is done after this season too. While it’s got a huge following and I have been entertained by it the comments he made have really turned a lot of people who don’t share his extreme views off so it will be interesting to see what happens. Personally i would like to see it continue without him but I don’t think that’s going to happen. If they do end up cancelling it someone will probably develop another show with them eventually.

• Lisa says:

Duck Dynasty is one of the best family programs on TV… bar none!!! It will live on just not for A&E profit (which does this viewer’s heart immense good)!

• Diandra says:

Isn’t this a show about rednecks who are racist & homophobic? Is this a sarcastic post? Look at this quote…. these idiots should not be considered a “family show”

Phil On Growing Up in Pre-Civil-Rights-Era Louisiana
          “I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field…. They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!… Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”

12. Paul5 says:

I hope The Wicked Witch is not Regina’s sister for real. That would be forced and kind of ridiculous at this point. Why does everybody have to be related on this damn show? Cmon now.

13. Bonnie Maynes says:

The Mentalist is the best show on TV. It should continue.

14. Lee says:

I was looking forward to the Wicked Witch but if she’s another addition to Henry’s family tree not so much. They just done that plot twist again with Peter Pan and it’s becoming repetitive not to mention utterly ridiculous.

15. Sparky says:

I’m so glad that Michael thought or wanted Carrie and Brody to say I love you in the season finale……me too!!!! Now that Michael provided his obituary on the final I can finally move on.

16. Dee says:

Love Justified! Can’t wait to see the on-going dance between Rayland and Boyd and the introduction of the Florida crackers!

17. Louise says:

I’m very excited to meet Rebecca Mader’s character on OUAT, but I really, really hope she’s not the other addition to the family tree. It’s getting so repetitive and contrived now especially after they made Peter Pan Rumple’s father. I know it’s a fairytale show, but it’s just too much at this point and in my opinion what the show really needs is a villain who can stay a villain for a while and not be pulled into family drama with the main characters.

Regina having a sister would be too big a retcon in my opinion too. Cora was so obsessed with getting Regina to live the kind of life she wanted for herself, become queen and all that and the family relations were so messed up because she was an only child. And if she has a sister who is also a witch why wouldn’t Rumple go for her as the one to cast the curse instead of going through all that trouble of corrupting and manipulating Regina so she would eventually cast the curse.

• tracy says:

Exactly. It’s not only ridiculous but also makes no sense. They’d have to retcon Regina’s whole backstory if she’s her sister.

• Ashley says:

This, It’d be more shocking at this point if she had no family ties to any character on the show.

• heather says:

I don’t know how i feel about it yet but i will say i disagree that it would be a complete retcon to have the wicked witch as regina’s sister. The foundation was kind of already set in last season during The Miller’s Daughter. Cora backed out of a deal with rumple to have his child after taking out her own heart t and choosing power over love. She married the prince instead of leaving with rumple and then presumably had regina with prince henry. Here is the thing though it was implied already that cora and rumple were together. How do we not know that twins were conceived around the same time by either prince henry or one twin by each, rumple and the prince? Cora could have kept it a secret and maybe rumple found out later, or came to collect? Granted, that is pretty soapy so it could just be that cora was forced to fullfill the broken deal later out of desperation, after she had regina. I would assume that after she took her heart, she could no longer spin gold for the kingdom and it probably went broke as a result, since wielding that magic took emotion in the first place. And cora did mention something to regina in s1 , just before killing daniel , about deals she had to make in order for them to have their life. Rumple must have come back into the picture with cora at some point since we know he admitted to regina he held her as a baby. Admittedly though, what would still confuse me about this is why he would go back for regina and use her for the curse if he did eventually get his own child from cora? Did it have anything to do with regina being the firstborn? Did he eventually realize he had the wrong child? That is pure speculation but my best guess would be that if regina did end up with a sister it would probably be out of the whole cora and rumple affair. It would just be a question of how much truth rumple did or didn’t know.

18. J says:

The actress playing the wicked witch looks too much like the actress who plays maleficent in OUAT for your spoiler to make sense.

If she’s reginas sister, then that’s a casting fail.

19. Tori says:

I love the idea of the wicked witch being Regina’s sister. People forget there is plenty we do not know about Cora’s past; it is perfectly possible she had a child with Rumple and did not tell anyone, which would explain the wicked witch’s green skin and would make her Henry’s biological Aunt. I have no problem with them expanding Henry’s family, people are forgetting Henry is a major character without him Emma would have never found out about StoryBrooke!

• sara says:

What? The entire first have of the season was literally about SAVING HENRY. I don’t think people forget that he’s related to literally every character.

• Abc says:

Why does it have to be Cora’s daughter? What about Regina’s father’s daughter? Maybe he had an unknown affair with someone (another evil Queen perhaps?) which would be a shocker I think considering what a pushover he always seemed like.

20. Lysh says:

I really hope The Mentalist continues. I hate the time slot, but the reboot they’re doing…I like it so far. It’s The Mentalist on a much bigger scale, instead of just staying in CA.

And I really hope Once’s new witch isn’t related to anyone. I mean, do the boys know that the family tree is becoming a big joke? I love the memes, but they need to come up with a different twist.

21. Vincent M. Colletti says:

Can’t we just cancel CBS the powers that be there and who setup their schedule are idiots anyway!

22. I think it would be more interesting if the Wicked Witch was Maleficent’s sister. Not only would that fit with the storyline of the Wicked Witch because she goes after Dorothy after she kills her sister and takes something from the body but Madar does resemble Maleficent. That would give the Wicked Witch a solid reason for going after the Charming family because Regina stole the curse from Maleficent and Emma killed her. She’ll get her, my pretty. I am also getting tired of everyone being related. It’s all getting a little hard to keep track of. I think it would be good for the show to have an unambiguous villain for a while. I feel like the show had better momentum in the first season because Regina was so definitely the bad guy.

• DarkDefender says:

I just hope OUAT does the new villain well. It’s going to be hard to top Pan. The actor played him brilliantly.

• Mari says:

This is a good idea–and much better than yet another character who is related to Henry. And I agree about having a villain with a clear-cut, long term bad guy agenda.

• Toni says:

Expanding on the Wicked Witch coming to avenge her sister…could she maybe STILL be avenging her sister, in this case, Maleficent? Except she blames Regina and Emma and threatens the world now because she was somehow unchanged by the events in the fall finale?

23. CC says:

That is a lovely photo of Maggie Schiff

24. enri says:

I love the mentalist. I hope they can get one more season.

25. Alia says:

Blue Bloods is not Blue Bloods anymore, it’s Danny Reagan’s Law.

26. Lori says:

I think it will be mentalist because he killed red john

27. jon says:

! so has gotten better to me since Ted Samson joined on.I think he is a huge dynamic on the show now and should keep it goin for 2 more seasons.That would be a nice long run for the show. I actually still miss the Red John storyline on Mentalist and feel it gave that show more than what other procedurals had but I will continue to try to watch the “spinoff” but thinking it at the moment should only get 1 more season after this one.

28. Patrick Maloney says:

So the new format for the second half of this season of Once Upon a Time will be Emma in present day with the flashbacks mostly being the one year gap between them leaving Storybrooke and when Hook arrived

29. Mary says:

Wait. Someone beat Ella’s 28 year pregnancy on Once Upon a Time? How is that possible?

30. JoyAnne says:

Those video spoilers are a waste of time for the deaf/hearing impaired but I gather they are discussing possible cancellations e.g. The Mentalist, Blue Bloods. Gee, thanks CBS. Two of my favourite shows. Reading comments here a couple have mentioned about Zivs’s replacement onNCIS. I find the character irritating. Not the actresses fault. They have just written her too much as a know all. As for CSI, I went back to it when Ted Danson came on the show. Started enjoying it again. So according to this. I’m may actually be losing 3 shows I enjoy. Again, thanks a lot CBS. 👎👎

• Kristin D says:

There was no official word from CBS. The boys were just speculating that they don’t think all of the CBS dramas will make it out of the 2014 Spring season- their opinions were down to The Good Wife (probably safe b/c it is so acclaimed), The Mentalist- will depend on the retooling, & Blue Bloods (which still has decent ratings.) This was all conjecture- no reason to freak out just yet…

31. Jace says:

I tend to agree with others here that BB is a strong Friday night show. Unless it’s no longer profitable, I would expect it to continue. And TM is still a good show; I like the reboot.
    CSI for me has run its course. Danson was a breath of fresh air at first, but now the writing is bringing it down. It’s so lame. If it weren’t for its past success, it would not be on the air. I’d like to see CBS promote something new after Criminal Minds.

• Kathy Agel says:

For CBS, Blue Bloods is currently in the position that JAG was 10 years ago — it brings in excellent ratings on a miserable TV night. Remember when the Networks moved shows to Friday nights when they wanted to kill them due to bad ratings (can anyone say Magnificent Seven?).

32. Liz says:

the wicked witch could be the daugther of rumple and cora. They did had an romance and that would be the perfect twist for once upon a time. Plus that would be a major thing for belle and rumple. i just have a feeling she has something to do with him.

33. Drew says:

It’d be interesting if the Wicked Witch was once a perfectly nice woman who was manipulated and turned evil because of Snow… which means that Snow is constantly ruining lives and creating evil while everyone sees her as being pure and good.

I’m just glad that the Pan story is over. I hated that arc. Actually, the show has been going down since the end of season 1. The best part since then was the end of this last episode when it was all wiped out and Emma and Henry went back to being normal, with no idea about the fairy tale world. They should keep that vibe.

Also, I don’t have cable and have never seen Duck Dynasty, but A&E shot themselves in the foot this time. If they hadn’t done anything at all it would have gone away, but their taking action has been horrible PR for them. And it was pointless too, since the show was apparently on hiatus (I heard) so the punishment was useless.

34. Jenna says:

I’ll miss Tara. I can’t imagine SOA without her.

35. Khorrie says:

No one seems to be making the connection that if Regina is the Wicked Witch’s sister, she’s destined to get a house dropped on her.

36. I love the Mentalist – it’s my favorite show and I really want to see another season! I like the new angle and I think there are a lot of new stories that can be told…hopefully it survives!!! Simon Baker as Patrick Jane needs to stay on TV because he’s just AWESOME!!!

37. You can’t use ‘strong’ and then mention M Bight Shyamalan. Guy did two good movies a decade ago and has produced crap ever since.

38. Laura Bradham Frisch says:

Matt,

I think that you are wrong about Blue Bloods. It is a WAY better show than the Mentalist. Thinking CSI should go first though. TIRED AND OLD.

39. Maryann says:

I really hope the CBS predictions are wrong. Right now The Mentalist is the lowest rated drama on CBS, but if spring viewership reflects the incredibly improved quality of the reboot, it should rise substantially in the ratings.

I would be happy to see the unwatchable Good Wife and the cringeworthy Elementary leave — but I know that is highly unlikely. NCIS:LA? I know it has a lot of fans, but it bores me to tears, and is just as uninteresting and unengaging as the failed NCIS: Red backdoor pilot. As for Criminal Minds, I really want to like it. I love the characters and their personal stories, but the crimes they solve are just too unrelentingly dark. Same problem with SVU – I keep trying to watch, but it is just too dark, and many of the stories feel too much the same.

So why do so many people in this discussion thread want to see CSI and NCIS cancelled? IMHO, they have both lasted as long as they have because they keep reinventing themselves, rebooting a certain part of the story every few years. CSI has gotten very different new lead characters now for the third time, and each time it makes the show feel fresh and new, but equally enjoyable. NCIS has gotten the delightful (and totally different from Ziva!) Ellie Bishop, and reverted to the wonderful sense of humor we haven’t seen nearly enough in the last few years. Here’s hoping that both shows outlast Gunsmoke’s record of twenty years for longest running tv drama!

As for the predictions in the video? Well, The Mentalist deserves renewal based on its vastly improved quality after the reboot, but it won’t get it unless enough viewers check out the new version. It would be a real shock if Blue Bloods didn’t continue. The cancelled show should be The Good Wife, but good luck on that, regardless of how poorly it does. I am thinking that if The Mentalist can get its act together that the cancelled show might actually be the middle-of-the-pack SVU. That is going to be my prediction at any rate. We will see how that fares come spring.

• kevin says:

You’re forgetting that the original Law and Order lasted twenty seasons too.

• kay says:

I love NCIS and CSI as much as the next guy, but even I would admit that they’ve been repetitive for years. Although they still do knock it out of the park with some episodes. I guess when you’re number 1, there’s no need to make any changes unless they absolutely have to.

• Kathy Agel says:

Um…SVU is on NBC, and this discussion was about the shows on CBS.

40. Amanda says:

I’m going to conter the CBS predicitions and go with neither show is cancelled and they get rid of Hostages and move the Mentalist to that time slot….
    Duck Dynasty isn;t going anywhere…if A&E cancels it, there are channels lining up to replace them. This will blow over once the season starts. It’s been a week and they haven’t lost one sponsor (Cracker Barrel has reverse it’s decision), if anything I think the show has picked up a few more fans just like Chick-fil-a did when they were under fire.
    If the WW is indeed Cora’s sister, she wouldn’t technically be related to Henry, cause with the memory lapse, he wouldnt’ feel a connection with Regina. So I can buy that, now if they try to somehow erase the memory lapse, then I might be a little upset about it.

41. Hi there every one, here every person is sharing these kinds of
    experience, thus it’s fastidious to read this blog, and I used to pay a quick visit this blog everyday.

42. Bob says:

Maybe CBS will do the same thing they did in the late 60s with their yokel comedies…can a whole bunch of drama shows and start over. The Mentalist, CSI, NCIS (both), Blue Bloods, Criminal Minds, Elementary, Person of Interest…all cancelled.

43. Azerty says:

I am glad they will at least mention Pierce in Community. Despite the issue between Chevy Chase and Dan Harmon, Pierce has been a huge piece of Community and in the trailer I had that awkward feeling they would going on like he never existed. So that’s good. But Troy will definitely be missed :(

44. wes baron says:

h50? think its jumped a few sharks

45. Sarahliz says:

Blue bloods isn’t going anywhere. Number one show on Friday nights every Friday night? 10 mil + viewers? And Tom Selleck as one of the leads? Plus coming up on sync numbers? I don’t think so.

46. N tTVf says:

Interesting to consider the variables that might lead to CBS canceling one of their dramas at the end of this season. I do agree with Matt – CBS will cancel one of their dramas. However, when it comes to Friday nights, ratings are not the only key factor. Cost is also a factor.

I recall Blue Bloods went through some changes prior to season 2 in order to get their costs in line to that of a Friday night series. The overall numbers may be good, but the advertisers are looking for young viewers [the demo]. Hence, if a series wants to survive on Friday nights without ‘the demo’ numbers being strong, the series must get their costs in line with the ad revenue a Friday night series will provide.

Hence, I’m betting Hawaii Five-0 is the series that gets canceled, and Mentalist does indeed move to Fridays, but replaces Five-0, not Blue Bloods. I don’t know how Five-0 can get their costs down over time as the series ages and remains on Friday nights. In the end, not a good long term fit.

47. sacha says:

REGINA FROM ONCE IS THE BEST VILLAIN THEAT’S ALL

48. Britta Unfiltered says:

Fun little show, as always, guys. I’m sure glad you two put these on. You’re both very entertaining to watch and you have a lot of personality.
    I’m guessing A&E caves on this Duck Dynasty issue and cancels the suspension and not the show. But that’s just me being a cynic.

49. ronnie says:

If the ratings go up for Duck Dynasty when the new season premieres, then they will quietly remove Phil from his suspension and let the cash flow in. It’s all about business. A & E will catch a little hell from GLAAD and some minority groups, but money talks in business and everyone’s “hurt feelings over something stupid a redneck said” will be irrelevant. But you can bet part of the deal will be no one from the show can talk to the press.

50. Mark says:

As others have mentioned, we learned that Peter Pan was Rumplestiltskin’s father. That actually already gives us one new branch to the family tree. If Snow is pregnant (which would make since because Ginnifer is pregnant and they already set that up part way through the Neverland arc), there’s your second new branch.

It is an interesting theory, however.