The X Factor Season 3 Finale Recap: And the Winner Is… [Plus 15 Additional Awards!]

the-x-factor-season-3-finale-recapThe X Factor, you are truly a complicated beast.

One minute, you’re moving us to tears with your interviews of contestants’ families — complete with emotional moms and dads, ovulation-inducing baby pics and tales of overcoming The Obstacles with hard work and genuine talent.

Ten seconds later, you’re like an inappropriate party guest who knocks over the punch bowl, playing an extended montage suggesting Demi Lovato — sober now, after spending time in a rehab facility for physical and emotional issues just a few years back — openly defies Simon Cowell thanks to her penchant for drinking a bubbly green beverage that bears a strong resemblance to absinthe and seltzer.

As an incredulous Demi mouthed to fellow panelist Kelly Rowland prior to the unfunny zinger that she’s hooked on the fictional product Annoying Juice, “That’s f***ed up!”

Yes, girl, truly, profoundly and deeply f***ed up.

One step forward, two steps back at The House Shack That Melanie Amaro Built, I suppose.

Before we get to the results, though, let’s hand out some awards based on tonight’s telecast — and Season 3 overall:

Best Running Tit-for-Tat
Simon’s mispronunciation of “Mary-Oh” Lopez, and Mario’s almost robot-like precision in introducing the exec producer/mentor as “Simon Cowwwww.”

Most Botched Opportunity
The finale opening with those post-apocalyptic, white-painted warriors dancing amidst the lasers — WHY? — when Fox could’ve used the 30 seconds to build cross-network synergy and tout a herd of So You Think You Can Dance alumni.

Most Striking Take-Away from the Top 13 Group Performance

Most Apt Moment from the Top 13 Group Performance
The deep-voiced dude from Restless Road struggling to stay on pitch as he got a solo on the line, “leave a bad taste in your mouth.”

Most Eye-Roll-Inducing Quote
“I want to win this more than I want air in my body.” –Jeff Gutt, who as the father of an adorable son, most certainly has more important reasons to live than the outcome of a reality singing competition

PG1_6237Biggest (and Most Disappointing) Discrepancy
Carlito Olivero opening a box containing a bikini-clad dancer with a giant bow on her back, but failing to take off his jacket and show his guns during a solid cover of “Christmas (Baby Please Come Home).”

Best Vocal by a Celebrity Guest

Oddest Pairing of Celebrity Guest and Song
Is “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” really good enough for the incomparable Mary J. Blige? (Groovy jazzy arrangement, though!)

Neatest Staging
Jeff Gutt delivering a heartfelt “O Holy Night” against a simple backdrop of sparse, snow-covered trees and a light sprinking of faux frozen precipitation.

Sweetest Facial Expressions
Alex’s adorable eyebrow raises while glancing at girlfriend/partner Sierra as they rocked “All I Want for Christmas Is You”

Demi-Lovato-Annoying-JuiceMost Righteous Facial Expressions
Demi’s utterly disgusted face as she tried to figure out why an entire “comedy” segment was being devoted to her “drinking” something untoward. (See photo)

Most Emotional
Sierra, who was sobbing three seconds in to her hometown/family memories package, and didn’t let up till Mary-Oh cut to commercial.

Weirdest Pronouncement of Holiday Cheer
“Happy holidays to everybody out there…face down, booty up!” –sang Pitbull (and a video screen of Ke$ha, who couldn’t be bothered) on his new single “Timber”

Worst Accessory
That old t-shirt wrapped around Harry Styles’ head during One Direction’s rendition of “Midnight Madness”

Best Vocal
Alex & Sierra and Jeff Gutt, blending beautifully on John Newman’s “Love Me Again” (admittedly the first time I’ve ever really enjoyed this jam)

And now…results!

Final Three
Alex & Sierra
Carlito Olivero
Jeff Gutt

Third Place
Carlito Olivero

Second Place
Jeff Gutt

The X Factor Season 3 Winner
Alex & Sierra

YES! YES! A THOUSAND TIMES YES! The season’s most consistent — and consistently inventive/thrilling/downloadable — take home the major-label recording contract!

“Thanks for not making fun of my weird faces all the time,” Sierra said, clearly in a state of total shock, before launching into a tear-soaked cover of “Say Something” with her verklempt boyfriend. Admit it: You needed a tissue when Sierra shook her head defiantly on the line “I ain’t sayin’ goodbye.”

And on that note, it’s your turn. What did you think of the Season 3 finale? What were your favorite performances? Did anyone surprise you? Did the right person win? Sound off below, and for all my reality-related interviews, recaps, news and videos, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Jim says:

I’m a Jeff fan but I applaud Alex and Sierra. Well done u 2

• HTGR says:

Maybe I wanted Jeff to take it in the end, but A&S are absolutely plenty worthy of the win. A very weird season where everything seemed to be messed up and yet despite all the shock send homes literally every single week we still ended with those two left for last.

• J says:

BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!!! CARLITO DESERVED IT ALL THE WAY. Makes me not never watch X Factor again at this point. He deserves the record deal.

• NORA DEMARO says:

Jeff is the real talent period!! WOULD U SEE THE CUTE COUPLE THATS ALL THEY ARE IS CUTE BUT BORING LOVE BIRDS IN CONCERT !Please !!! Another Melanie Amaro winner that u will never hear of again !!!!

• Johnny B. Good says:

The lovebirds Alex and Sierra nauseated me – almost as bad as Donny and Marie. Gutt did some awesome, classic, power songs that I would replay again. Apparently many viewers of this show are too wimpy to vote for a gutsy rocker. I’m done with X-Factor B.S. I won’t be watching next year. Besides, I can’t stand Simon Cowell. Look at his record. He has always promoted bland, pop, milk toast kind of acts – and nothing that is profound.

• Johnny B. Good says:

EWW! Alex and Sierra BORRRRRING. America loves to revel in a mediocre amateurish act.
      Frank Zappa’s Pajama People!!

2. Kristi says:

I am SO happy for them! And leave it to x-factor to make me cry during their hometown video package. They were far and away the best act this whole season, and pretty much my whole reason for sticking with this show.

• Stacie says:

The hometown video package was fine, but the fact that X Factor thought it was funny to show Demi maybe drinking some alcohol or something that would make her go loopy was pretty messed up, and extremly cringe worthy. The “annoying” drink or whatever nonsense they were showing was so stupid and wrong. If anyone knows half her story they would be as disgusted as I was. I don’t understand why they couldn’t find a blooper or something funny, but instead they thought that was a good idea. It just proves again that X Factor needs to be done. The result of Alex and SIerra was a good one, but the end does not justify the means in any way.

• The Beach says:

When I saw the Demi tape and her obviously shocked reaction to it my first thought was maybe this was Simon being vindictive for her stealing some headlines from his finale by announcing her departure from the show.

• G.Watts says:

I couldn’t agree less. Alex and Sierra look and sound like throwbacks to me – harmonizing in predictable thirds, him looking naff, kitsch and too pretty pretty, her often off key, though she did hit some occasional great high note. Jeff Gutt was clearly the best singer, but scruffy and beaten- up looking. Carlito was powerful, had a moving sob story but his voice just not have a pleasant texture. All the finalists on The Voice were better than these three. Sorry Simon, but your shows have been out-classed, and now look and sound outdated.

3. rachel says:

YES!!!!! That last performance was amazing! They deserved to win!!!!!!

4. Poohbear says:

Jeff Gutt was the most consistent contestant, delivered a solid performace every single week. Real talent. Its a shame Slezak doesnt like Rock. Jeff got robbed.

• Jeremy says:

Yes, he was consistent, consistently bland. His only highlight performance was Hallelujah.

• Cal says:

….when the hell has Slezak not liked rock!? His favorite during Idol season 8 was a rocker! Heck, to my memory, at least 8 of his favorites were rocker-types.

• Poohbear says:

I seem to remember similar feelings about Dave Cook.

• Cal says:

Then you and I must be remembering different things, because I remember him LOVING a lot of what King Cook did.

• Michael Slezak says:

Ummm…from my Season 7 finale recap (in which I went all in for David…Cook!): “I took Cookie’s cover of ”The World I Know” as a very special gift to all of us who’ve made it a point to watch every single episode of Idol this year. We’ve already heard his takes on ”Billie Jean,” ”Hello,” and ”Always Be My Baby” — why look backward on the biggest night of his life, especially knowing that it’d be damn near impossible to re-create the magic of those original performances? Instead, David tackled a pretty terrific Collective Soul track that he’s been jonesing to do all season, opening with a gentle, acoustic vibe, gradually building momentum throughout the performance, and wrapping it up with a gentle falsetto note. To me, it was near perfection — including the evening’s snappiest fashion choice, a black shirt, a black pinstripe vest, and an audacious pink tie — except for the fact that I would’ve liked to hear the entire track, not just a two-minute snippet.”

• Scamp says:

You have as much opportunity to VOTE as Slezak does.

• George Holman says:

NO doubt Jeff deserved the American votingechamism is unjust completely unautible and a sham . If one was just in touch with Jeff’s soul deliverance , he was miles ahead
      Of any other contestant. How sad we could not see that George Holman
      South africa

• Jeff Gutt was by far the best singer/performer the show had this year! im still in shock he wasn’t the winner but I also believe that he will end up doing more than the so called winners because we all know that even if your not the winner on the show people saw how good he is and someone will sign him and we will hear more from him than a&s!!!

5. Jeremy says:

I’m really surprised that they sent Demi off with that montage. If I were her, I would have given a slap to Simon’s face.

• HTGR says:

It looked like she was with her expression!

• Ray says:

There was a little video of her live reaction in the bottom corner of the screen. Demi turned to whomever was sitting on her right (probably Paulina) and said “That’s f****d up!” during the video package. Heheh

• HTGR says:

And nobody can blame her. WTF was that?! Some punishment because she is potentially leaving? Raw cluelessness? Sometimes XF (and A.I.) can take it a bit ugly, at least The Voice has never taken quite there and only super rarely ever taken it ugly at all.

• DS says:

Hilarious. Almost a deserved send-off for her in a way though. She’s been a pretty poor mentor and judge in my opinion. Critical in a non-constructive way, I laughed out loud at that montage not because of its silliness but rather because of her reaction.
      On a second note, call me crazy, but I was really digging that 1D song.
      As much of a mess as I thought this season was for such a long time, as it got down to the nitty gritty I must admit we had a pretty good final cast, and I think the show is capable of carrying on another year with some measure of success.
      Finally, well deserved for A&S. I reckon they’ll have good careers. Along the lines of a Mraz or a Colbie Callait type vibe. I would buy their album.

• pmcd says:

Well I do think it was in poor taste but I also feel that she has been a terrible mentor and has offered contestants very poor advice. She is really too young to have had that role.

The show should easily carry on. Really good season and it’s been two years in a row where there have been at least two exceptional contestants ( Carly Rose last year, A&S this year) .

I think A&S have a lot to bring to the popular music world and hopefully they will do well.

• Mary says:

I don’t know, she might not have been the perfect mentor but I thought her critiques were usually correct. She was the only one on the finale that mention what was off on the performances. Her send off was not deserved even if she was the worst, which I don’t think she was. I don’t know if it was Simon or the producers but they have no CLASS what so ever and if they thought for a moment that was going to be funny, they should all be FIRED. God it was in poor taste.

6. Sam says:

I don’t watch the show, but I’ve been following along with A&S. This is the first time my favorite act (from what I’ve heard) has won a singing competition in a long-ass time (I was a Drew fan, still bitter!) The most exciting people never win, and this is a validation for creativity (although a minor one, since this show is watched by like 15 people).

7. Sophie says:

I’ve never been so happy with the outcome of a reality singing competition, no matter how awful the path to getting to that result was. Alex and Sierra deserve this win so much.

8. Allyson says:

I was so thrilled to hear Sierra and Alex were the winners!!! They deserve the title and contract!!!! It was amazing!

9. sara says:

What is Jeff going to do now that he can’t talk about his son with a montage before every performance now?

• HTGR says:

To be fair, one day you should go behind the scenes and see how those things get filmed and how they are edited and all the prodding and leading questions from those just off camera and sometimes even the cue cards off camera.

• Mary says:

A lot of it is edited but it is not liked he didn’t say it. The bottom line was he used his Son as a tool to go further in the competition. I’m sorry sometimes you put your dream on hold and do what is best for your children. I found it a turn off, he was an okay singer if anything I didn’t think much of him as a person because he didn’t put his child best interest first.

• Poohbear says:

I read somewhere that Jeff tweeted about the producers editing the pieces to include so much about his son. I think its admirable that he thinks so much of his son. At least he is not a deadbeat dad! Andnwhat about Carlitos constant backstory of “i came from nothing”. This while his parents were repeatedly on the show. They dont look like “nothing”. They come off as a very loving family who are proud of their son. Jeff doesnt have money either but he said it only once or twice that I recall.

• HTGR says:

True, but I’m just saying with anything to do with tv/movies/interviews it can get very hectic, here one minute there another, this shoved in your face and that, with perhaps little sleep, odd hours, in a daze. Tons of leading questions, people suggesting do this, do that. It’s easy just to go along with what is suggested and the editing can be heavy on top.
          I’m just saying sitting in your couch it’s a lot different than being in those sorts of whirlwind scenarios. Sure maybe some could still have done things a bit differently anyway and not that I know exactly how it’s done in this very particular case, but I’d lean toward giving every benefit of the doubt to the contestants.

10. Dan (Haleyloonie) says:

YEAIUH!!!

11. HTGR says:

A weird season. So many horrifically out of place send homes each week and nonsense. But despite that the top two at the end were good. It sorta feels like you might’ve been best just skipping the entire season until the last two weeks almost. You’d have seen some really cool performances the last couple weeks and avoided sitting through week after week of having to watch talent you liked given too early boots, many good contestants you all but didn’t get to see at all. The entire season the voting seemed to only make the remotest sense until the very last two votes.
    But a nice final show. And they sent all three off well. Something The Voice struggles with a bit, they are just chop chop get off the stage.
    A very nice moment at the end there with A&S and all the rest of the contestants back on stage.

12. Poohbear says:

No consistently exciting! To me at least. We need more rock music and less pop fluff on the airwaves.

13. Josh says:

Okay, is verklempt even a word? lol, anyway, i’m happy for alex and sierra. Jeff killed it, too, so i hope he gets signed as well.

14. greysfan says:

Thank god. The one thing they got right on this years X Factor is the winner. Although I think the top 3 should have been Khaya, Alex and Sierra and Ellona but lets not start on that. Really really happy with the winners and if they are the last ever winners of X Factor USA then so be it. They went out with a great winner. It was a pretty feisty show though.
    If this is going to continue next year they need to STOP with the staging and move forward in a direction that doesn’t screw up the show. They have no heart on this show. That is the problem. Sure they show the sob stories etc but i remember last year when they showed Carly Rose and her brother at the ice-cream shop i think it was, how staged was that? Stop the staging and just give us the good stuff oh and get rid of the host. He is another reason why the show is awful. I could go on but lets focus on the positive of this year, Alex and Sierra won. Simple as that really.

• LLL says:

Shhhhh. Don’t mention Ellona’s name unless you want to incite the “all caps” guy to start on one of his rants.

• nhf7170 says:

Khaya totally left too soon. I guess, like Carly Rose, she was a bit too “New York” for the American public IYKWIM.

• MC says:

That’s very much my impression as well. That’s how we ended up with Tate as a winner. It pleased Middle America at the time, but I don’t think anyone is happy about that choice now. That’s why the best choice isn’t always the winner of these shows. It was also a setback for the US version of X Factor because 5H and Carly Rose are so much more marketable, talented and versatile than Tate. However, that was last year. A&S are good musicians and certainly fine winners for this season.

15. Grumpy Ol' Lady says:

The right people won. So why not we lock the door, shut off the lights, and call it a night? While X Factor has come to the only logical conclusion with Alex and Sierra, it has no where else to go. Si, give it up, k? It’s all over but for the whimpering.

16. Lindsey says:

Having the right winner totally redeemed the season for me. At times (read: most times) the season was lacklustre with the exception of Alex & Sierra but them winning makes the season a success in my eyes.

17. Grumpy Ol' Lady says:

By the way–one thing they got right was Sierra’s styling. They went a little heavy on the makeup yesterday, but throughout the season whoever was styling her should get a nice holiday bonus! I don’t know if it was her idea or not, but those dresses were gorgeous. I ended up wishing they’d done the same for Alex, but he fine anyway. I did like how they were subtly coordinated.

18. Ray says:

So stupid of the producers to force A&S to sing after they were given the wonderful news. The delay with the confetti and congrats by their peers was very strange.

• Lois says:

Except that’s what they do every single time someone wins on the original X Factor, so not that strange really.

• A says:

The X Factor UK always has the winners singing and then the other finalists run on stage with them to celebrate.

• Scamp says:

Strange timing at the end, that’s for sure. Poor direction “in the booth”? Yeah, the coronation was off and definitely unusual. There was a delay, too, when we watched Mario take a walk away – stage left? – before he spoke. Best coronation ever: David Cook’s!

19. Demi should have just walked off right there.

20. kristy lee cook says:

Wgwg invades xfactor! Only this time its white guy with girlfriend.

• LLL says:

Lol. That reminds me of an acronym someone thought up for Michelle Chamuel on the Voice last season: WGWEG (white girl with enormous glasses).

• HTGR says:

All Sierra needs is some giant Michelle hipster glasses and then we have it:
        WGWGWGWEG
        White Guy With Guitar With White Girlfriend With Enormous Glasses
        An unstoppable reality tv force if ever there was one, with all that going for them, they could head over to A.I. this spring and win hands down, get more total votes than all contestants from all 12 prior seasons combined!
        WG^3WEG = infinite votes

21. MAB says:

So happy for Alex and Sierra but I do feel bad for Jeff. I bought everything A&S and Jeff did on the show. To be honest everyone complains about the XFactor but it was a terrific show tonight and I think Alex and Sierra are going to be more successful than any winner ever on The Voice including this years winner. In the end it is about the contestants and this season the Xfactor had the best winning act. I can’t wait till they put out their first album and I will be first on line to buy it. I don’t feel that way about Tessanne. She has a great voice but does nothing for me.

22. Dana says:

A&S won, yay! Simon won, ugh! So conflicted. -sigh-

23. Tom says:

Carly Rose should have won.

• Lex says:

Your darn right! Carly Rose should have won!!!!!!!!

• pmcd says:

Yes, Carly Rose should have won but it was great being able to listen to her. This year the right act won. Very unusual duo with a very real appeal. Really liked the X Factor this year. I prefer AI but you don’t get much better than Carly Rose and A&S on any show. The only thing I would have liked to see more of was Josh. Felt he had a real talent and hoped he would have been there in the final. I thought Paulina brought quite a different perspective to the show and the complaints re her accent are very small minded. I don’t care for rock but Jeff Gutt really got better as time went on. I wouldn’t have been unhappy had he won, something which wasn’t the case last year, but am very happy A&S won. Now on to AI where it will be interesting to see how have a real musician as a judge works out ( quite unusual for a singing competition). Definitely an interesting trio of judges.

24. Greg says:

for once, he right contestants won. now I hope they come out with a single fast and make it, unlike the other winners

25. Mary says:

I thought for sure Jeff was going to win. Oh well Alex and Sierra are good. Congrats to them.

• HTGR says:

Yeah I was kinda hoping he’d pull it out, but I mean with A&S #1 on itunes like crazy and every poll A&S and rock just about never winning, it seemed incredibly unlikely, I was 90% sure A&S had it in the bag.

26. tealeaves says:

I have been impressed by Alex and Sierra all season. They were the number one reason for me to watch this year. I find them to be very unique, and enjoyable to listen to. They seem genuine and likeable. They are among my favorite singing contestants of all time.
    If XFactor has another season, they should focus on groups. That is the niche they have right now. They should change their categories so groups can be more than 1/4 of the contestants.

27. HTGR says:

“Most Striking Take-Away from the Top 13 Group Performance
    Rachel Potter and Khaya Cohen really shoulda made it deeper into the competition.”
    This time my favorite got eliminated the very first week! That first double elim was pretty much the worst first week double elimination on any of these shows ever.
    “Best Vocal by a Celebrity Guest
    Lea Michele, absolutely KILLING IT on “Cannonball,” her earworm of a new single.”
    Yeah, wow, I didn’t know she could sing so well! I thought Glee was supposed to be auto-tune city.
    “Most Righteous Facial Expressions
    Demi’s utterly disgusted face as she tried to figure out why an entire “comedy” segment was being devoted to her “drinking” something untoward. ”
    Indeed and with good reason.

• The Beach says:

Glee auto-tunes the heck out of a lot of their singers but Lea doesn’t need it. Plus she’s had a bit of experience on Broadway to hone her skills. Lea sounded terrific but I thought “Cannonball” sounded a little too much like “Wrecking Ball”.

• Mary says:

I liked the song and it was nice to hear someone who can really sing but to be honest she needs to work on her facial expressions.

• TJ says:

I hate that they auto tune her on Glee, she doesn’t need it! Sometimes I think Glee makes her tone it down so she doesn’t totally over shadow everyone else on the show. She doesn’t just have a bit of Broadway experience, she started on Broadway at 8 w/o any vocal training and was starting in an Original role at 19. She is a pure talent and excels on the live stage. Her voice is truly amazing!

• mike hollingworth says:

htgr…………..try to ease up on the pills

28. Mac says:

They won’t break a million. Not without some serious interference from the powers that be, and lets not forget the viewer base that they appeal to (tennyboppers and the love train).

If the majority of voters actually voted on the one with musical talent (Jeff), this folk group would have been eliminated well before the semi. She’s just started singing and has a brilliant knack for keeping the farce alive. He’s just an above average lounge singer.

How could they get this far? Then again, this is a different world from 30, 20, hell, even 10 years ago.

• Jillian says:

You’re right, that’s why their songs have reached #1 on iTunes the past 3 weeks and are still in the top 25 even after Say Something came out weeks ago.

• Mac says:

I’m not talking about flashes in the pan (undoubtedly propagated by trending topics like Christina Aguilera and One Direction). I’m talking about albums. The stuff that they create like in that 1 million dollar recording contract. Will that $1 million translate into 1 million albums? I say no.

• pmcd says:

So bitter… Pop music is not about raw talent. A&S have an appeal that is quite unusual. I suspect they will do fine indeed.

• Mary says:

If you really think Jeff would of sold 1 million albums you are delusional. Only a few top artist are selling that. I think with the right song and promotion they will do fine. Success is in the eye of the beholder.

• Mac says:

Top artists…Ah yes, top artists like bland Phillip Phillips? Or Scotty McCreery (Alfred Neuman)? If those are top artists in your eyes, you are delusional. And do I think Jeff “would’ve sold”? Just because he didn’t win doesn’t mean he won’t get picked up by a record company. I have no doubt that he will. It’s just a matter of time.

29. Lily says:

Well, XFactor really has no class right? There’s nothing funny about a drinking problem and doing that live without at least giving her a warning? Not that that would have made it better…This should have been a sweet episode to wrap up a season not a show including such cheap shots at one of their judges as a lame attempt at being funny. Demi said it best with her words.

And I guess we all knew Alex & Sierra would win so I was not surprised at all. We’ll see how long they last in the industry. It’s hard to predict.

• pmcd says:

How long anyone lasts in the pop world is hard to predict so I am not sure what you wanted to say. It was not at all obvious that they would win. Jeff Gutt could very well have won. In addition, don’t forget about last year where somehow Tate managed to win over someone infinitely more talented and probably more marketable.

• Scamp says:

X Factor showed us the weekly voting results with Tate “managing” to be on top of the leader board nearly every time, so Tate “somehow” managing to win seems a strange qualifier.

30. Dave says:

Can anyone tell me why Restless Road, specifically Colton (the one who actually could sing and had a personality) was bawling at the end and basically hugging Alex and Sierra to death? WTF was that?

31. Jim Welker says:

Go home Jeff Gutt, ya big goofball! Oh well, this was the first time I picked a contestant and didn’t make top three; that’s picking a contestant from first audition! My streak is broken…back to old Star Search days! I did pick UK XF and Voice wineers from first audition, so I don’t feel so bad! The favorite always wins! The off shore sportsbooks had A&S an easy winner! At least the big favorite was the best act out of the three, unlike Tate Stevensand Phillip Phillips on AI! I didn’t like any of the three but the right act won! I chose Ellona all along! Can’t winnemall!

32. cs says:

I’m a fan of Alex and Sierra and I’m also a fan of Jeff Gutt. Congrats to Alex and Sierra for being the winner XF season 3. I’m so happy whoever win cause they have a big career ahead of them. Jeff are amazingly good, he had great vocal and wonderful performance. Alex and Sierra touches people’s heart when they sing. I’m so happy Alex and Sierra win but even if Jeff Gutt wins I will be so happy too cause they both deserve to win, it’s just a matter of the most fans vote for their favorites to be the winner. Carlito Oiivero really improve a lot in his singing and performance on stage and he definitely will have a great future in his singing career. I’m also a fan of Rion Paige and I believe she will have a good career in country music.

33. Clement says:

Congratulations Alex and Sierra. Well deserved. They’ve been consistently good in the beginning and really rose to the challenge later on (apart from the duet, but do you really wanna count the duet when someone else not in the competition is singing with them?). Here’s to their songs being sold well and played a lot on radio.

34. cs says:

Overall I’m really pleased with the final 3. Alex and Sierra consistently good, Jeff Gutt amazingly great vocal performance and Carlito Olivero had improved a lot in his singing. I’m so happy Alex and Sierra win but even if Jeff Gutt wins I will be so happy too cause they both deserve to win, it’s just a matter of the most fans vote for their favorites to be the winner. All the best to everyone. Happy holidays.

35. Jeremy says:

Will you post a ranking of the best performances from X Factor, Michael :D? I’m curious how many Alex & Sierra’s song will make into your list. And this time I won’t mind if it’s all of them.

36. Mary says:

This was the worst finale I ever watched. The outcome was good but it was painful to watch. There was only a couple of performers worth watching. I hope this is not renew. I said it before fox should cancel and concentrate on American Idol. They had three seasons and if they expect a different outcome the Heads at fox are nuts. With the right songs I think A & S can go far. I hope they are given the chance and not thrown to the dungeon of Sony basement.

37. matt says:

Was relieved and not surprised that Alex and Sierra won, was surprised however by how scuzzy and unkempt One Direction looked. They looked unshowered, just off the plane.

38. Craig Hansen says:

I was a fan of both Jeff Gutt and Alex & Sierra, so those two as the final two felt right to me. I never felt Carlito deserved the third spot; for my money, that should have gone to Rion Page. Until this week, I would have said Gutt was my ideal winter, but this week he became grating on the nerves because he was doing parodies of other singers rather than his own thing. It was more obvious tonight when he affected a faux-British accent for one song. Enough already. Alex and Sierra deserved it for being more genuine.

I definitely enjoy X-Factor the most of all the singing competition shows, but when it comes back, it should be on the condition that Paulina NEVER be allowed back. She was a malaprop-addict and a mistake machine all season, very embarrassing. I’d be great with Demi and Kelly coming back with Simon, so long as Paulina is replaced by someone who can remember who they are introducing, and can form cogent, logical sentences into thoughts.

39. WOW says:

OMG Lea Michele is AMAZING!

40. Gail says:

I fast forwarded through a lot. You can only hear so much “What would you like to say to your mentor?” and “what would winning mean to you?” and here’s your home town again. Lea Michele…now that’s a singer and a star!!!

41. Jay says:

Simon has had $$ in his eyes for the last 3 weeks, he’s going to try to launch A&S as a global act like Leona Lewis and One Direction.

Also I have to say that Kelly has been my favorite judge on any of the talent competitions, she’s funny and critical but not mean.

42. Shaun says:

Boom,in that pic it’s the twins from SYTYCD Canada I think.One is better than the other and won her season.Why are Alex and Sierra singing that song so much?!lol

43. Phil says:

Alex and Sierra should change the name of the act to Sierra and Alex. She is the show-stopper, He is great support.

44. MrTemecula says:

“Happy holidays to everybody out there…face down, booty up!” –sang Pitbull

If yer a dog, you’d appreciate Pitbull’s BS.

45. temi says:

I am kind of shocked that they won, even my husband who I just

46. temi says:

Got to watch the show a few times agrees Jeff is the one with the talent. A&S would probably sell more no doubt. I also think Jeff’s looksdidn’t help him at all. I would yell a5 the tv every week at him to get a make over zero sex appeal and we all know how these vain things go a long way. Hopefully he does well.

47. Johnny B. Good says:

There is NO WAY I would ever spend money on an Alex & Sierra recording or listen to them while driving my car – I would rather get a root canal.

48. Johnny B. Good says:

People who like Alex & Sierra are the ones who like the Brady Bunch or the Partridge Family. They wear cozy pajamas.

49. Pete says:

Having watched every reality TV singing competition since Star Search in the 80’s, this finale was the most satisfying since Kelly Clarkson won Season 1 of American Idol. Jeff makes a fine 80’s rock singer but was no match for Alex and Sierra and the magic that happened on that stage whenever they performed. Alex and Sierra have The X factor and will be, by far, the biggest stars to come from this show in the US. Jeff may want to check Broadway casting calls. Perhaps Rock of Ages is hiring

50. EvaneSam says:

I am glad Alex & Sierra won but I don’t think I will be watching next season. I actually started watching because of Demi and now that she’s gone I no longer care.

I think Paulina won’t be back either because I doubt they will want to sign her again. Thinking back to season 1, I find it ironical that they fired Cherly Cole because of her “unintelligible” accent but found Paulina to be perfectly fine. Uhmm … yeaNO!
    I would have like Season 4 to have Simon, Kelly, Demi and perhaps Pink or Katy Perry as judges but I guess that’ll never happen now.