CBS Announces How I Met Your Mother Finale Airdate (March?!) and Timeslot Successor

Get More: Scheduling News

Bass Player WantedHow I Met Your Mother is bowing out early.

CBS on Thursday announced that the long-running comedy will wrap its 24-episode final season with an hour-long episode on Monday, March 31. (The good news about the show’s winter exit? Save for two Olympics-fueled repeats, the show will air all originals from Jan. 13 to March 31.)

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Exclusive: [Spoiler]‘s Back For One Final Encore

Airing immediately after HIMYM‘s swan song at 9/8c will be the new James Van Der Beek comedy Friends With Better Lives. It will then shift to its regular 8:30 perch on April 7.

Two Broke Girls will take over HIMYM‘s 8/7c timeslot beginning April 14. (That’s right, Max and Caroline will be kicking off the family hour.)

Here’s your cheat sheet…

Monday, March 31
8: How I Met Your Mother (one-hour series finale)
9: Friends With Better Lives
9:30: Mom
10: Intelligence

Monday, April 7
8: The Big Bang Theory (encore)
8:30: Friends With Better Lives
9: NCAA Basketball

Monday, April 14
8: 2 Broke Girls
8:30: Friends With Better Lives
9: Mike & Molly
9:30: Mom
10: Intelligence

Comments (77)

• Nooooo!! I’m not ready!

Comment by Metoo – December 19, 2013 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel the same way.

Comment by Paula – December 19, 2013 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know. I’m kind of bummed right now.

Comment by Asia – December 19, 2013 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My Uncle Tyler recently got an awesome 12 month old Volvo C30 from only workin parttime on a computer… try this….J­­o­­b­s7­9­.C­­­o­­m

Comment by Margaret Bush – December 20, 2013 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Better so. I would hate them to drag out the rest of the season with multiple breaks. Can’t wait for March 31.

Comment by maki – December 19, 2013 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HOW AM I GOING TO LEARN NEW SCAMS FOR PICKING UP DUMB WOMEN ONCE THIS SHOW IS OVER????

Comment by Pauly Ryder – December 19, 2013 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 2 Broke Girls at 8pm??? Anyone that has watched the show knows it should be on MUCH later. Is this a ploy by CBS to get rid of it after the complaints roll in?

Comment by Michael LeFrancois – December 19, 2013 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was surprised myself 2 broke girls is way to adult for 8 pm

Comment by Joe – December 19, 2013 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Is there a big difference between 8 and 9 and its not that risque.

Comment by Sam – December 19, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You didn’t thing the hooker episode was risqué a few weeks back ? The show is funny , I’m amazed that it’s airing at. 830 , let alone going to 800

Comment by Joe – December 19, 2013 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • It was but not like we saw major skin, I just don’t see big difference between 8 and 9.

Comment by Sam – December 19, 2013 07:59 PM PDT
      • Anyway, HIMYM has had some eyebrow raising issues too so, not a big deal. There are worse shows @ 8 PM (TVD, Revolution) and much lighter shows @ 10 PM (Parenthood). Just don’t let your kids watch TV after 7:59 PM.

Comment by Pr – December 19, 2013 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t watch it, but doesn’t it come on right after HIMYM? What difference does moving it 30 min earlier really matter?

Comment by the danger – December 19, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • whats the difference between 8 and 9?

Comment by Jon – December 19, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • 1

Comment by taran63 – December 19, 2013 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No that would that be -1. The difference of 9 and 8 would be 1. Sorry I could not resist.

Comment by WingsStef – December 19, 2013 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Ahh, Americans. I love different lingo. I assume over there “subtraction” = “difference”. Where I am, difference would always mean the highest minus the lowest, not the first minus the second.

Comment by ben – December 19, 2013 06:03 PM PDT
    • Considering the average age of CBS’s viewers are well into their AARP/Denny’s Senior menu years, I don’t think they’re too worried about showing some Kat Dennings cleavage.

Comment by Joey – December 20, 2013 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are you kidding me with this, CBS? This is way too early. I would have preferred the rumored April ending. Ugh, I’m angry right now.

Comment by Lynn – December 19, 2013 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re angry? Why? You get to see a finale far earlier and there’s less interruptions on the way there. This is a good thing!

Comment by Brock – December 19, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Surprised it will be bowing out early. :(
    Any word on a retrospective special airing as well, or is it just the finale?

Comment by AJ – December 19, 2013 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope they do a retrospective.

Comment by Babar – December 20, 2013 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • isn’t 8pm too early for 2BG’s sexual humor?

Comment by Lubomir Raykov – December 19, 2013 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • as opposed to 8:30 and HIMYM has similar humor.

Comment by Sam – December 19, 2013 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • 2BG does not have similar humour to HIMYM. At all.

Comment by kavyn – December 19, 2013 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I thought they would stretch it until May but this way there are less repeats. I’m ready for it to end.

Comment by Choco – December 19, 2013 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about more on Castel, Mentalist, Bones, Major Crimes or shows that are relivant?

Comment by Vincent M. Colletti – December 19, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are they mentioned in the article anywere ? My guess no

Comment by Joe – December 19, 2013 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HIMYM still gets higher ratings than all of those shows so I’d say none of the shows are particularly relevant if HIMYM Isn’t.

Comment by Mike R. – December 19, 2013 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thiis article is about HiMYM series finale date,2 Broke Girls timeslots change, not a spoiler article about general shows.

Comment by Brandy – December 19, 2013 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s a good call for CBS. I love HIMYM but this last season is being dragged out way too long!

Comment by RK – December 19, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am kinda annoyed by the fact that its not going to be during sweeps, as reruns of this show are not a pain for me personally.

2 Broke Girls contains some of my favorite laughs each week, as I greatly enjoy the adult humor, but agree that its shocking at 8pm.

LOVE that they are giving Friends with Better Lives these good launching pads…hopefully it holds on with the Beek and Brooklyn Decker…

Comment by Chris – December 19, 2013 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am sure it has to do with NPH’s role on Broadway. He starts previews at the end of March.

Comment by GA – December 19, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • so? the episodes will have been shot and finished way before then

Comment by Joe – December 19, 2013 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad the show’s finale will be an hour long. Can’t wait for James Van Der Beek’s new show in March.

Comment by Joey – December 19, 2013 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does that mean less episodes? Or just no breaks between new episodes?

Comment by Erika – December 19, 2013 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It just means no breaks between episodes.

Comment by Ann – December 19, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I kink of like it like this. Let the rest of the season run without these random 2-3 week breaks in between.

Comment by Kre – December 19, 2013 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could HIMYM possibly be ending early since NPH is heading to Broadway in the Spring with Hedwig and the Angry Inch and so they did this to accommodate his schedule? Performances of Hedwig begin the end of March, so rehearsals would have to start around the beginning of March and those dates have been known for awhile now.

Comment by Gil Benbrook – December 19, 2013 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t see why it would end ealry because of that. They end production in February (I think) and they can air the episodes whenever they want. NPH is free after Feb.

Comment by LOST – December 19, 2013 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Might want to fix that error that says the show will air originals from January 13-May 31.

Comment by cas – December 19, 2013 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Typo alert. Should it say new eps from jan 3-march 31? Right now it says May.

Comment by Liza180 – December 19, 2013 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was wondering if anyone else noticed that.

Comment by Mo – December 19, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Two Broke Girls kicking off the “family hour”? While I love the show, if I had a young family, I sure wouldn’t be letting them watch it.

Comment by Dawn – December 19, 2013 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • family hour is a myth or outdated, plenty of show at the time period not suited for kids.

Comment by Mike – December 19, 2013 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The end is definitely bitter-sweet, but I couldn’t be happier about less breaks. I will definitely miss this show, but I’m excited to see how it ends. It will be interested to see how CBS Mondays does with HIMYM to anchor the night, especially with 2BG starting the night.

Comment by Mike R. – December 19, 2013 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally…..it was starting to drag on and on and on.

Comment by Mary Cefalu – December 19, 2013 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Speaking of 2BG is Eric Andre gonna stick around? He is a pretty awesome part of the crew now

Comment by ggny – December 19, 2013 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope they get rid of that horribly offensive stereotype that is the daytime waiter.

Comment by Mikael – December 24, 2013 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to hear everyone else thinks 2 Broke Girls is a bit racy for the 8pm hour. That show is just one lazy sex joke after the other. It’s really not funny. Really lazy writing.

Comment by TL – December 19, 2013 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I find it funny, so what if its not sharp writing, oh and you know what else I like Parks and Rec.

BTW humor is subjective not objective.

Comment by Mike – December 19, 2013 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 2 Broke Girls is too racy for 7 or 730.I love it but what is CBS thinking letting it anchor the whole night?It struggled as anchor for the 8 pm hour and had to be moved back behing Mother to help its ratings.

Comment by Brandy – December 19, 2013 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad there won’t be breaks, but nooooo it’s too soon, I’m not ready!

Comment by DreamRose311 – December 19, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am sure the finale will be LegendwaitforitDary

Comment by sarah – December 19, 2013 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL at Max and Caroline kicking-off the family hour! I love the show and will follow it wherever CBS puts it.

Comment by King – December 19, 2013 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MARCH? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO…. as long as Chuck Lorre is not allowed to have anymore shows on CBS, I might be able to survive!

Comment by popgoesandrea – December 19, 2013 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Max and Caroline will be kicking off the family hour.”

Boggles, just boggles. But then the Bones, pour the human remains soup out of the refrigerator-fest, has long led off at 8 so there’s that.

Comment by John 1138 – December 19, 2013 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really, Really surprised that March is the series finale. Also, I love Two Broke Girls which is on at 8:30 and I thought it should have never been moved to that spot because of its content. Now CBS wants to move it to 8 are you kidding me? Please, CBS move this show to 9 or after. I find it is quite hilarious but definitely is adult humor. My fear now is that this show will get the boot because of families out there who will boycott the sponsors to drop this show all because CBS is making a dumb mistake.

Comment by Pat – December 19, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It will be renewed for syndication

Comment by Brandy – December 19, 2013 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s already in syndication at TBS.

Comment by Babar – December 20, 2013 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All this nitpicking—with at least one person even getting upset that the show is going to end early, meaning fewer interruptions—and NO ONE else is going to comment on the fact that March 31 is NOT winter?

Comment by Roger Market – December 19, 2013 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like that there’s no breaks (except for 2 weeks of Olympics). I was annoyed that March 31 is considered winter as well, apparently.

Comment by Teag – December 19, 2013 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is the finale 23/24 or an additional episode (24/25?)

Comment by Teag – December 19, 2013 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Friends With Better Lives or FWBL as it will be known, is a surprisingly funny treat. I had the privilege of watching the pilot and it’s so surprisingly good. The Beek is back and is better than ever. The whole cast is hilarious and I think it’s a suitable replacement for HIMYM. Should (and will) be on at 8.

Comment by Rob – December 19, 2013 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep, I think you have this right. 2Broke won’t work at 8pm – not because of the hour, but because I’m not sure the show is an anchor show any longer – if it ever was. It couldn’t hold down 9pm, it won’t hold down 8pm. I agree with your assessment of FWBL – good cast, has a chance to quickly move into that 8pm slot – sooner than later. I think CBS will flip 2Broke and FWBL by May. Once FWBL is improving in the demo over 2Broke, the change will be made.

Interesting cast mix – Decker, JVDB, Kevin Connolly [Entourage], Majandra Delfino [Rosewell], Zoe L Jones [Whitney - but let's not hold that against ZLJ]. I also noticed the list of directors they have on tap – James Burrrows, Fred Savage, etc. This show has some potential.

Regarding the end of HIMYM on March 31st – probably a good thing. The cast needs to move on, and ending early/quickly allows the cast to do their HIMYM promotional work, etc. prior to April. Also, the behind-camera crew will be working on the ‘How I Met Your Dad’ pilot in Feb/March/April prior to May Upfront. They all need to move forward – understandable. I wish HIMYM could hang on until May, but I’m grateful for this final season – time to turn the page and close the book. Let’s see what FWBL can do – CBS needs to figure that out asap.

Comment by Goodbye Universe Guy – December 20, 2013 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think CBS will really miss HIMYM. I wish they could have come up with a way to continue in some form. Personally Lily, Ted and the Mother would be good. Not a fan of Jason Segal and NPH has too much going on.

Comment by Boiler – December 19, 2013 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s cool; I’d rather see the finale sooner rather than later.

Comment by Derek Johnson – December 19, 2013 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • C’mon people family hour been dead for a while now.

Comment by Larry – December 19, 2013 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s been 9 years. They probably want to get it out of the way, FINALLY.

Comment by Ella – December 19, 2013 09:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cant come soon enough. Please put the show out of its misery.

Comment by Rob R – December 19, 2013 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Naw still very good show I don’t see why people complain, if they don’t like it don’t watch.

Comment by Larry – December 19, 2013 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The last episode comes out on my 21st Birthday (April 1st in Australia). I don’t know whether I should be excited or incredibly sad about this.

Comment by Hannah – December 20, 2013 01:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • March? Guess they don’t care about sweeps months (February or May)???

Comment by Bob – December 20, 2013 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait! The Series Finale will be legendary!! And i love 2BG! Let’s see how Friends With Better Lives will doing. I’m excited!!

Comment by thi86 – December 20, 2013 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been iffy about HIMYM for the past few years, but the Mother is a breath of fresh air. Every episode that she’s been in has been great, especially the last one where she was in most of the episode. I hope she’s featured more before the end.

Comment by Mikael – December 24, 2013 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my god you guys. 2BG at 8pm is no big deal. How about you just don’t have your kids watch that channel at that time? I’m sorry it’s so hard for all you lazy people to change the damn channel. NPH has so many penis references it’s ridiculous! And that’s awesome. But as soon as Kat Dennings shows the same humor it’s too “risqué”. Grow up folks. And take responsibility for you and what your kids watch. Don’t blame other people because you don’t know how to control your kids.

Comment by Andrew E – December 26, 2013 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post