CBS Announces How I Met Your Mother Finale Airdate (March?!) and Timeslot Successor

Bass Player WantedHow I Met Your Mother is bowing out early.

CBS on Thursday announced that the long-running comedy will wrap its 24-episode final season with an hour-long episode on Monday, March 31. (The good news about the show’s winter exit? Save for two Olympics-fueled repeats, the show will air all originals from Jan. 13 to March 31.)

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Exclusive: [Spoiler]‘s Back For One Final Encore

Airing immediately after HIMYM‘s swan song at 9/8c will be the new James Van Der Beek comedy Friends With Better Lives. It will then shift to its regular 8:30 perch on April 7.

Two Broke Girls will take over HIMYM‘s 8/7c timeslot beginning April 14. (That’s right, Max and Caroline will be kicking off the family hour.)

Here’s your cheat sheet…

Monday, March 31
8: How I Met Your Mother (one-hour series finale)
9: Friends With Better Lives
9:30: Mom
10: Intelligence

Monday, April 7
8: The Big Bang Theory (encore)
8:30: Friends With Better Lives
9: NCAA Basketball

Monday, April 14
8: 2 Broke Girls
8:30: Friends With Better Lives
9: Mike & Molly
9:30: Mom
10: Intelligence

1. Metoo says:

Nooooo!! I’m not ready!

2. maki says:

Better so. I would hate them to drag out the rest of the season with multiple breaks. Can’t wait for March 31.

3. Pauly Ryder says:

HOW AM I GOING TO LEARN NEW SCAMS FOR PICKING UP DUMB WOMEN ONCE THIS SHOW IS OVER????

4. Michael LeFrancois says:

2 Broke Girls at 8pm??? Anyone that has watched the show knows it should be on MUCH later. Is this a ploy by CBS to get rid of it after the complaints roll in?

5. Lynn says:

Are you kidding me with this, CBS? This is way too early. I would have preferred the rumored April ending. Ugh, I’m angry right now.

• Brock says:

You’re angry? Why? You get to see a finale far earlier and there’s less interruptions on the way there. This is a good thing!

6. AJ says:

Surprised it will be bowing out early. :(
    Any word on a retrospective special airing as well, or is it just the finale?

7. isn’t 8pm too early for 2BG’s sexual humor?

8. Choco says:

Well, I thought they would stretch it until May but this way there are less repeats. I’m ready for it to end.

9. Vincent M. Colletti says:

How about more on Castel, Mentalist, Bones, Major Crimes or shows that are relivant?

10. RK says:

I think it’s a good call for CBS. I love HIMYM but this last season is being dragged out way too long!

11. Chris says:

I am kinda annoyed by the fact that its not going to be during sweeps, as reruns of this show are not a pain for me personally.

2 Broke Girls contains some of my favorite laughs each week, as I greatly enjoy the adult humor, but agree that its shocking at 8pm.

LOVE that they are giving Friends with Better Lives these good launching pads…hopefully it holds on with the Beek and Brooklyn Decker…

12. GA says:

I am sure it has to do with NPH’s role on Broadway. He starts previews at the end of March.

13. Joey says:

I’m glad the show’s finale will be an hour long. Can’t wait for James Van Der Beek’s new show in March.

14. Erika says:

Does that mean less episodes? Or just no breaks between new episodes?

15. Kre says:

I kink of like it like this. Let the rest of the season run without these random 2-3 week breaks in between.

16. Gil Benbrook says:

Could HIMYM possibly be ending early since NPH is heading to Broadway in the Spring with Hedwig and the Angry Inch and so they did this to accommodate his schedule? Performances of Hedwig begin the end of March, so rehearsals would have to start around the beginning of March and those dates have been known for awhile now.

• LOST says:

I don’t see why it would end ealry because of that. They end production in February (I think) and they can air the episodes whenever they want. NPH is free after Feb.

17. cas says:

Might want to fix that error that says the show will air originals from January 13-May 31.

18. Liza180 says:

Typo alert. Should it say new eps from jan 3-march 31? Right now it says May.

19. Dawn says:

Two Broke Girls kicking off the “family hour”? While I love the show, if I had a young family, I sure wouldn’t be letting them watch it.

20. Mike R. says:

The end is definitely bitter-sweet, but I couldn’t be happier about less breaks. I will definitely miss this show, but I’m excited to see how it ends. It will be interested to see how CBS Mondays does with HIMYM to anchor the night, especially with 2BG starting the night.

21. Mary Cefalu says:

Finally…..it was starting to drag on and on and on.

22. ggny says:

Speaking of 2BG is Eric Andre gonna stick around? He is a pretty awesome part of the crew now

23. TL says:

Glad to hear everyone else thinks 2 Broke Girls is a bit racy for the 8pm hour. That show is just one lazy sex joke after the other. It’s really not funny. Really lazy writing.

• Mike says:

I find it funny, so what if its not sharp writing, oh and you know what else I like Parks and Rec.

BTW humor is subjective not objective.

24. Brandy says:

2 Broke Girls is too racy for 7 or 730.I love it but what is CBS thinking letting it anchor the whole night?It struggled as anchor for the 8 pm hour and had to be moved back behing Mother to help its ratings.

25. DreamRose311 says:

I’m glad there won’t be breaks, but nooooo it’s too soon, I’m not ready!

26. sarah says:

I am sure the finale will be LegendwaitforitDary

27. King says:

LOL at Max and Caroline kicking-off the family hour! I love the show and will follow it wherever CBS puts it.

28. MARCH? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO…. as long as Chuck Lorre is not allowed to have anymore shows on CBS, I might be able to survive!

29. John 1138 says:

“Max and Caroline will be kicking off the family hour.”

Boggles, just boggles. But then the Bones, pour the human remains soup out of the refrigerator-fest, has long led off at 8 so there’s that.

30. Pat says:

Really, Really surprised that March is the series finale. Also, I love Two Broke Girls which is on at 8:30 and I thought it should have never been moved to that spot because of its content. Now CBS wants to move it to 8 are you kidding me? Please, CBS move this show to 9 or after. I find it is quite hilarious but definitely is adult humor. My fear now is that this show will get the boot because of families out there who will boycott the sponsors to drop this show all because CBS is making a dumb mistake.

31. Roger Market says:

All this nitpicking—with at least one person even getting upset that the show is going to end early, meaning fewer interruptions—and NO ONE else is going to comment on the fact that March 31 is NOT winter?

• Teag says:

I like that there’s no breaks (except for 2 weeks of Olympics). I was annoyed that March 31 is considered winter as well, apparently.

32. Teag says:

Is the finale 23/24 or an additional episode (24/25?)

33. Rob says:

Friends With Better Lives or FWBL as it will be known, is a surprisingly funny treat. I had the privilege of watching the pilot and it’s so surprisingly good. The Beek is back and is better than ever. The whole cast is hilarious and I think it’s a suitable replacement for HIMYM. Should (and will) be on at 8.

• Goodbye Universe Guy says:

Yep, I think you have this right. 2Broke won’t work at 8pm – not because of the hour, but because I’m not sure the show is an anchor show any longer – if it ever was. It couldn’t hold down 9pm, it won’t hold down 8pm. I agree with your assessment of FWBL – good cast, has a chance to quickly move into that 8pm slot – sooner than later. I think CBS will flip 2Broke and FWBL by May. Once FWBL is improving in the demo over 2Broke, the change will be made.

Interesting cast mix – Decker, JVDB, Kevin Connolly [Entourage], Majandra Delfino [Rosewell], Zoe L Jones [Whitney - but let's not hold that against ZLJ]. I also noticed the list of directors they have on tap – James Burrrows, Fred Savage, etc. This show has some potential.

Regarding the end of HIMYM on March 31st – probably a good thing. The cast needs to move on, and ending early/quickly allows the cast to do their HIMYM promotional work, etc. prior to April. Also, the behind-camera crew will be working on the ‘How I Met Your Dad’ pilot in Feb/March/April prior to May Upfront. They all need to move forward – understandable. I wish HIMYM could hang on until May, but I’m grateful for this final season – time to turn the page and close the book. Let’s see what FWBL can do – CBS needs to figure that out asap.

34. Boiler says:

I think CBS will really miss HIMYM. I wish they could have come up with a way to continue in some form. Personally Lily, Ted and the Mother would be good. Not a fan of Jason Segal and NPH has too much going on.

35. Derek Johnson says:

It’s cool; I’d rather see the finale sooner rather than later.

36. Larry says:

C’mon people family hour been dead for a while now.

37. Ella says:

It’s been 9 years. They probably want to get it out of the way, FINALLY.

38. Rob R says:

Cant come soon enough. Please put the show out of its misery.

39. Hannah says:

The last episode comes out on my 21st Birthday (April 1st in Australia). I don’t know whether I should be excited or incredibly sad about this.

40. Bob says:

March? Guess they don’t care about sweeps months (February or May)???

41. thi86 says:

Can’t wait! The Series Finale will be legendary!! And i love 2BG! Let’s see how Friends With Better Lives will doing. I’m excited!!

42. Mikael says:

I’ve been iffy about HIMYM for the past few years, but the Mother is a breath of fresh air. Every episode that she’s been in has been great, especially the last one where she was in most of the episode. I hope she’s featured more before the end.

43. Andrew E says:

Oh my god you guys. 2BG at 8pm is no big deal. How about you just don’t have your kids watch that channel at that time? I’m sorry it’s so hard for all you lazy people to change the damn channel. NPH has so many penis references it’s ridiculous! And that’s awesome. But as soon as Kat Dennings shows the same humor it’s too “risqué”. Grow up folks. And take responsibility for you and what your kids watch. Don’t blame other people because you don’t know how to control your kids.