Scoop: Michael Peña Joins Fox's Broadchurch Adaptation Gracepoint as a Series Regular

Get More: Casting News

michael pena gracepointMichael Peña (Gangster Squad, End of Watch) is putting down roots in Gracepoint, Fox’s upcoming 13-episode adaptation of the British smash Broadchurch, TVLine has learned.

He will play the series regular role of Mark Lasseter, the father of the murdered 11 year old boy at the center of the mystery. Andrew Buchan played the role in Broadchuch.

Peña joins a previously announced cast that includes Doctor Who‘s David Tennant (who also headlined Broadchurch), Breaking Bad‘s Anna Gunn, Oscar nominee Jacki Weaver (Silver Linings Playbook), and Gossip Girl‘s Kevin Zegers.

Thoughts Broadchurch diehards? Feeling more optimistic about this remake of sorts given the impressive cast?

Comments (16)

• Yay! Loved him ever since the movie crash! And anna gunn too. Sounds very Promising!

Comment by L – December 19, 2013 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOW! This is a star-studded series. Hopefully the writing is up to par with Broadchurch, but it is FOX :(

Comment by Joe – December 19, 2013 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, it IS Fox. Home of great shoes like House, 24, Ally McBeal, New Girl, Mindy Project… shall I go on?

Comment by Jesse – December 20, 2013 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s 10 episodes, not 13 fyi.

Comment by Julie – December 19, 2013 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just can’t figure out the point of this remake. The original was wonderful. Buy it and play it on FOX. Would have had to be a whole lot less expensive!

Comment by Bobbi – December 19, 2013 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are they remaking the same story? Seems pointless.

Comment by loukygirl – December 19, 2013 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree..it is pointless to remake the same story that most people have seen already on BBCAmerica. Unless they are changing the story line we already know who the killer is!

Comment by Paul – December 19, 2013 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Want to answer your question on my thoughts but my thoughts are wouldn’t it be cheaper and easier to just air Broadchurch on Fox. It’s like the Bonnie & Clyde miniseries. There’s no need for it when perfection is just a video rental away.

Comment by Missy Kelly – December 19, 2013 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t understand the Americanization of this show either! The original was perfectly done. What’s the point? I’d much rather hear David Tennant talk with his Scottish brough than an American accent. No thank you…I won’t be tuning in for this one.

Comment by Kat – December 19, 2013 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will check it out because of Tennant, but don’t understand the necessity for a remake I bled they change the story.

Comment by JAO – December 19, 2013 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I originally wasn’t going to give this remake the time of day. However, now that I know Chris Chibnall and David Tennant are involved, I may try to tune in.

Comment by Poof – December 19, 2013 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He did it.

Comment by Bob – December 20, 2013 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The cast sounds amazing, but I still have very mixed feelings.

Comment by mel0329 – December 20, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Getting On was also perfectly done, with Jo Brand among others. Why oh why mess with perfection??

Comment by Lynne – December 22, 2013 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so very sick & tired of America remaking British TV shows & movies. We seldom get it right! Broadchurch was fantastic! David Tennant will be great. However, I do not feel the script will ‘travel well across the pond’. I think the worst remake was an American version of “Fawlty Towers” starring Bea Arthur as a female Basil Fawlty! It was Horrendous!

Comment by Camellia – December 23, 2013 12:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another terrible remake was “Death at a Funeral”. The American remake starred Chris Rock & Martin Lawrence. It was a curse fest. The original starred Matthew MacFaddyen(sp) and Peter Dinklage, who recreated his role in the American version. Peter was great in both, but the American film was nothing but potty humor, which was too bad because the script was great.

Comment by Camellia – December 23, 2013 12:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post