Scoop: Michael Peña Joins Fox's Broadchurch Adaptation Gracepoint as a Series Regular

michael pena gracepointMichael Peña (Gangster Squad, End of Watch) is putting down roots in Gracepoint, Fox’s upcoming 13-episode adaptation of the British smash Broadchurch, TVLine has learned.

He will play the series regular role of Mark Lasseter, the father of the murdered 11 year old boy at the center of the mystery. Andrew Buchan played the role in Broadchuch.

Peña joins a previously announced cast that includes Doctor Who‘s David Tennant (who also headlined Broadchurch), Breaking Bad‘s Anna Gunn, Oscar nominee Jacki Weaver (Silver Linings Playbook), and Gossip Girl‘s Kevin Zegers.

Thoughts Broadchurch diehards? Feeling more optimistic about this remake of sorts given the impressive cast?

1. L says:

Yay! Loved him ever since the movie crash! And anna gunn too. Sounds very Promising!

2. Joe says:

WOW! This is a star-studded series. Hopefully the writing is up to par with Broadchurch, but it is FOX :(

3. Julie says:

It’s 10 episodes, not 13 fyi.

4. Bobbi says:

I just can’t figure out the point of this remake. The original was wonderful. Buy it and play it on FOX. Would have had to be a whole lot less expensive!

5. loukygirl says:

Are they remaking the same story? Seems pointless.

6. Paul says:

I agree..it is pointless to remake the same story that most people have seen already on BBCAmerica. Unless they are changing the story line we already know who the killer is!

7. Missy Kelly says:

Want to answer your question on my thoughts but my thoughts are wouldn’t it be cheaper and easier to just air Broadchurch on Fox. It’s like the Bonnie & Clyde miniseries. There’s no need for it when perfection is just a video rental away.

8. Kat says:

I can’t understand the Americanization of this show either! The original was perfectly done. What’s the point? I’d much rather hear David Tennant talk with his Scottish brough than an American accent. No thank you…I won’t be tuning in for this one.

9. JAO says:

I will check it out because of Tennant, but don’t understand the necessity for a remake I bled they change the story.

10. Poof says:

I originally wasn’t going to give this remake the time of day. However, now that I know Chris Chibnall and David Tennant are involved, I may try to tune in.

11. Bob says:

He did it.

12. mel0329 says:

The cast sounds amazing, but I still have very mixed feelings.

13. Lynne says:

Getting On was also perfectly done, with Jo Brand among others. Why oh why mess with perfection??

14. Camellia says:

I am so very sick & tired of America remaking British TV shows & movies. We seldom get it right! Broadchurch was fantastic! David Tennant will be great. However, I do not feel the script will ‘travel well across the pond’. I think the worst remake was an American version of “Fawlty Towers” starring Bea Arthur as a female Basil Fawlty! It was Horrendous!

15. Camellia says:

Another terrible remake was “Death at a Funeral”. The American remake starred Chris Rock & Martin Lawrence. It was a curse fest. The original starred Matthew MacFaddyen(sp) and Peter Dinklage, who recreated his role in the American version. Peter was great in both, but the American film was nothing but potty humor, which was too bad because the script was great.