Ratings: The Voice Down 10% Vs. Previous Finale, NCIS Steady, Person of Interest Dips

Get More: Finales, News, Ratings, The Voice
Ratings Voice Finale Person of Interest

Neither Michael Emerson nor Saul Rubinek won The Voice on Tuesday night.

The Voice‘s latest coronation ceremony was witnessed by 14 million total viewers, while scoring a 4.0 demo rating (per finals) — down 10 percent on both counts from the NBC hit’s June finale but within spitting distance of its year-ago audience.

All told, the singing competition‘s previous finales shook out as follows:
Season 1 (June 2011): 11.1 mil/3.7
Season 2 (May 2012): 11.9 mil/4.4
Season 3 (December 2012): 14.1 mil/4.9
Season 4 (June 2013): 15.6 mil/4.4

RELATED | The Voice Finale Recap: — Plus: Michael Slezak Hands Out 15 Additional Awards!

Opening the Peacock’s night, The Biggest Loser (7 mil/2.0) saw gains of 12 percent and a tenth.

Over on CBS, NCIS (19.7/2.9) commanded the night’s largest audience while steady in the demo (tying its season low), NCIS: LA (15.6 mil/2.4) was steady and Person of Interest (12.4 mil/2.0) added some eyeballs yet slipped two tenths in the demo opposite all of the Voice hullabaloo.

Want scoop on any of the above (scripted) shows? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Tags: ,

Comments (35)

• Sucks for poi it was another great episode and mid season finale.

Comment by ollie – December 18, 2013 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Person Of Interest just gets more and more darkly interesting; whilst NCIS just continues to get more and more dumbly less interesting. NCIS cast sleepwalking and the new girl stunningly out of place and in over her head. Surprised at Harmon, Thought him a stand up guy but now content to show up and cash his check.

Comment by Mike Hammer – December 18, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I wouldn’t fault Harmon for being tired or burned out after 10 seasons. It’s a steady paycheque and people are voting with it with their remotes, so clearly is still holds appeal for a lot of people.

But for PoI, I’m surprised that so many people would watch such a “cerebral” show. I think putting it on after NCIS LA was a terrible idea since I don’t see much overlap in the audience, plus there’s audience fatigue in a 3 hour block. It’s much more compatible with Elementary, which has turned out to be another excellent drama series.

Comment by ScrubsGuy – December 18, 2013 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Just a personal response to those observations:
          -I deal with the “three hour block fatigue” by watching NCIS and POI, while skipping tv entirely the hour that NCIS-LA is on.
          -Compatibility with Elementary? Love POI, can’t stand the over-the- top Elementary.

Comment by Maryann – December 18, 2013 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I think 10 pm is just too late for any drama which you want to do big numbers – certainly, it wouldn’t do the same as Thursdays at 9 pm. If they did NCIS, PoI, then NCIS LA, it might be a bit better.

Yeah, a lot of people are put off by Elementary and that’s fair, but I still think that it’s got more in common with PoI than the NCIS franchise. Rumour has it that may launch the NCIS spin off at Tuesday at 10, so I hope PoI doesn’t get shuffled off to Sunday after The Good Wife or something like that.

Comment by ScrubsGuy – December 18, 2013 12:01 PM PDT
    • I actually thought the previous episode was the mid season finale for some reason. I didn’t even realize it was on till my DVR started recording it.

Comment by Cameron – December 18, 2013 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The NCIS:LA opening was pretty bad! Why didn’t she just run out the door? It was right in front of her. It was just bad.

Comment by Britt – December 18, 2013 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be interested to see which shows adjust up and which adjust down. There are always some shifts once all the numbers are in.

Comment by Jaramukhti – December 18, 2013 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would have thought last weeks episode would have encouraged people for this week’s NCIS, well the shift was small. For me it’s still ahead of NCIS:L.A. and that’s a change from the recent years ordering.

Comment by John 1138 – December 18, 2013 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NCIS only dipped in the demo, which matters, of course, but the over all numbers were higher. I wonder how many college kids were in transit/studying for finals last night. (Mine had better have been studying. LOL)

Comment by tejas (@tejasjulia) – December 18, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good point my lab has been a ghost town with none of the undergrads anywhere in sight what with finals and that is a slice of the demo….

Comment by John 1138 – December 18, 2013 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And given the choice between NCIS and the Voice finale, I’d expect many of the younger demo might have chosen the Voice.

Comment by BJ – December 18, 2013 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly. The Voice is something, too, that I could see people watching while doing other things more easily than any scripted drama.

Comment by tejas (@tejasjulia) – December 18, 2013 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The Voice was not competing against NCIS. In addition Agents of Shield was a repeat.

Comment by GabF – December 18, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • It wasn’t, but if you’re studying for finals and have to choose a block of TV to watch, it could have an impact.

Comment by BJ – December 18, 2013 09:21 AM PDT
      • Oops, forgot to complete – Doing other things like studying, wrapping presents and so forth.

Comment by tejas (@tejasjulia) – December 18, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • NCIS aired against the Biggest Loser not against The Voice. The Voice aired against NCIS LA and POI.

Comment by Ranna – December 18, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yep, I know that, but its the same evening and same chunk of time out of studying for finals.

Comment by BJ – December 18, 2013 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sure CBS will, as Michael Weatherly said, go cry in a bag of money, over last night’s ratings.
    It’s all doom and gloom over 19 million+ viewers.
    At this point in the season, with the ratings staying consistent, you gotta think the network knows who their NCIS audience is and are pretty happy right now.

Comment by Fan – December 18, 2013 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A full ratings point is “spitting distance”?

Comment by Jo – December 18, 2013 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hi! Within “spitting distance” of its year-ago audience, the story says.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – December 18, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My bad. Apologies!

Comment by Jo – December 18, 2013 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ratings down for personofinterest so hard to believe this season has been fantastic!!!!!!!.. hopefully in january they will do better. i suspected camryn was up to something. john and fusco even with short screen time did great as usual

Comment by barbara – December 18, 2013 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Barbara that’s just it. I heard it was a different show last night. Shaw, Finch and two machines possibly. I guess I just miss the procedural show when they were helping the numbers. I think there ratings will continue to fall all this scifi stuff is great for big screen but for TV I look at it differently.

Comment by Lavonne – December 18, 2013 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. There was a void last night. Shaw and Finch are just dull together. Reese and Fusco are gold. I didn’t mind there being two machines or the twist with Camryn Manheim’s character, but if this is how it’s going to be from here on out I’m not going to like the change.

Comment by lll – December 18, 2013 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay. 13.8 million is pretty good for a result night but it definitely reflects a change in viewing habits. Honestly I don’t have the time or desire to sit through 2 hours of group singing and superstar performances. Just let me know who wins. Found that out in 5 minutes on IMDB then went over to YouTube to view the announcement and listen to Tessanne’s victory song. It was all I needed. The sad thing is these shows are trying to milk it for everything they can. They need to learn to edit themselves.

Comment by Ginger Snap – December 18, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here’s hoping the numbers for the Voice continue to drop and NBC will have to learn how to do real programming again. There whole ratings juggernaut appears to be based on the Voice and the NFL.

Comment by Mika – December 18, 2013 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to admit The Voice finale was awesome, but yet it was dragged on longer than it needed to be. Don’t get me wrong the performances were awesome, but I think the results could have easily been done in an hour, hour 1/2 tops. I especially liked Tessanne’s performance with Celine and Lady Gaga’s performance.

Comment by Matt – December 18, 2013 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t even realize POI was new last night. I thought the “Endgame” arc was the winter finale.

Comment by Tori Melching (@lizjaxe) – December 18, 2013 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too. I only knew it was new when I saw the promo. Anyway I expected worse since it wasn’t promoted heavily but the fans are extremely loyal in total viewers. The demo was affected by the voice finale. They did adjust up to a 2.0 in the finals, however.

Comment by lll – December 18, 2013 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am glad POI is slipping in the ratings I hope it continues. I did not watch last night but I heard from a friend that the its now the Shaw show with 2 machines. Really!

Comment by Lavonne – December 18, 2013 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • +1, although I don’t want the ratings to slide. If it does the blame falls on the writers and producers not the cast.

Comment by lll – December 18, 2013 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • POI Rating Drop – Bring back Carter. I will come back when she comes back.

Comment by monieet – December 18, 2013 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ON NCIS I want ZIVA Back.ON NCIS LA WANT Kinsey and DEEKS together.POI I want CARTER BACK on the Show

Comment by lynn – December 20, 2013 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post