Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson Suspended in Wake of Anti-Gay Tirade – Was It the Right Call?

Phil Robertson Leaving Duck DynastyDuck Dynasty patriarch Phil Robertson has been placed on indefinite hiatus by A&E in the wake of anti-gay comments he made to GQ.

“We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson’s comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series Duck Dynasty, the network group said in a statement just now. ”His personal views in no way reflect those of A+E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community. The network has placed Phil under hiatus from filming indefinitely.”

RELATED | Fall TV Ratings: Winners and Losers

In the GQ profile, the 67-year-old Duck Commander founder called being gay a “sin” and compared it to bestiality. “It seems like, to me, a vagina — as a man — would be more desirable than a man’s anus,” he told the mag. “That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer… But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical… Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men.”

Duck Dynasty stands as the No. 1 reality show in cable history. Its fifth season, much of it shot prior to Robertson’s ouster, is set to debut on Jan. 15.

1. Lee Fowler says:

What happened to freedom of speech?

• John 1138 says:

It has been protected and maintained. His GQ interview was published. A&E seems too have made a brand management decision within the context of their entertainment services contract that they have with the entertainer at issue.

2. mike says:

He compared gays to bestiality are you kidding !!! , even you religious morons should know that that is wrong,

3. MBK says:

I usually don’t get into this type of things but all this controversy really made me think. What I see is a man being attacked for stating his beliefs and opinions. We live in a country where we are free to express ourselves and say what we feel and I believe that is all that this man was doing. I am a Christian and I am around many people who are homosexuals. Whereas I don’t personally feel that it is right for me, I am not one to judge for the way others live their lives. Unfortuantly, It does clearly state in the Bible where God sees homosexuality as a sin and that information is all that this man was going off of. The Bible also says that drunkardness, sleeping around, and lying are sins…which, in today’s society, have became more common and acceptable. I believe it has been taken out of context with the comparison between homosexuality and beastiality. All that was being said was that sin is sin and that all sin is considered equal in the eyes of God. this is just going off of what the Bible says and not my personal openion. it is very hard for me to believe that telling a lie is judged the same as killing someone but when you read the Bible it says plain as day that all sins are equal. I just do not see the difference of him stating his feelings on the topic being any different than someone on TV speaking to support gay rights. I know this is a very touchy issue but what Phil said was simply a personal opinion that some people agree with and some don’t.

4. USMC says:

By reading all of these comments I am sure of one thing. We are free to have our own opinions and our own beliefs. To punish people for their opinions is bullying. The last times I checked our military was fighting for all of our freedoms. Not just some of them. If you are unhappy with living in a free country maybe you should move to a communist country.

5. anna says:

If A&E is so disappointed with Phil Robertson, why has it been showing Duck Dynasty all day long? It’s on right now!

6. Caleb thorton says:

Im just as christian as the next man and i do believe in phils beliefs and very mad at the show for suspenomg him and all the idiots being offended because the could hate on anybody in that show but once gays come in its automatically offensive i could go on and on but being a devils advocate god said we shouldnt judge soo

7. Liz says:

Honestly the writer of the article came across like a jerk to me. Did it sound patronizing to anyone else at point throughout the second page? I think it is amazing what Phil has done since finding religion and changing his life. He has raised an amazing family, started an empire, and is trying to change the world as we know it. There is nothing wrong with him being honest to who he is when asked for his own opinion because god knows we have to hear everyone else’s opinion in this world! We are being hammered from all sides and told to be tolerant of others thoughts, actions and beliefs but that seems to only apply to the non Christians beliefs, thoughts and actions. By no means do I proclaim that I am a devote or holy individual but I find this entire thing to be blown out of proportion and shows how far as a nation we have fallen. It disappoints me that this is the country I served while in the Army and further irritates me that my husband and family still sacrifice (because he is still serving overseas away from our sons and me) for people that abuse the freedoms they are given to oppress anyone that doesn’t agree with them or are too afraid to stand up for their own beliefs. We have become a society that has a follow the herd mentality and going with the majority while suppressing our own thoughts because that is easier than doing what is right.

8. mikaylalove says:

THERE ARE ALOT OF FAKE CHRISTIANS THAT CALL THEMSELVES CHRISTIANS BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY OR ON JUDGMENT DAY, THEY WILL BE REJECTED. JESUS HIMSELF SAID SO IN MATTHEW 7:21. ALSO, READ REVELATION. JESUS SAID ” I WISH YOU WERE HOT OR COLD BUT BECAUSE YOU ARE LUKEWARM I WILL SPIT YOU OUT” Most Christians are lukewarm and will not STAND UP FOR THE TRUTH that the bible CLEARLY states in 1 Corinthian 6:9 that HOMOSEXUALITY IS A SIN along with many others such as fornications, murder, adultery, etc etc, . If you don’t want to go to hell , read the FINE PRINT people. The bible warns about people having itching ears, wanting to hear what feels good and shunning good moral teaching. That is what is happening now. A true Christian does not condone sin, thereby leading many souls to hell. WAKE UP PEOPLE. How do I know all this? Because I read the bible. “For anyone who lives a godly life in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution” (1 Timothy) This is the persecution the bible was warning about. People will start hating on you for telling them the truth that homosexuality is a sin according to the scriptures and homoseuxals will not go to heaven unless they repent. If you don’t like what I say, take it up with God. Don’t shoot the messenger. But hey, they crucified Jesus for telling the truth about their wicked ways and repentance and they killed John the Baptist for speaking the truth to the King that he should not marry his brother’s sister. This is why many Christians will be martyred at the end of this age. The hostility of the world hating to be told they are wicked and need to repent is mounting. I USED TO LOVE SIN AND DEFEND HOMOSEXUALITY TOO BEFORE I ACTUALLY BECAME A NEW CREATION WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT AND READ THE WORD OF GOD. REPENT or perish my friends. If that makes you mad, so be it, but we speak the truth to save souls from hell. If that makes you mad, so be it. But God will judge on judgment day. We are just commanded to speak the truth so that you may repent. That is what “don’t judge” means.

9. Anonymous says:

This is disgusting! Homosexuals are souls but it is not right and it’s against the word of God! Amen to Phil homosexuality is a sin! And all those who don’t repent will have to pay at judgement, why do think homosexuals are called Sodomites, and what happened to Sodom! Say all you want the truth is the truth!

10. Even though Phil Robertson represents A&E, he should still be able to say whatever he wants.

11. MIKAYLA says:

HOMOSEXUALS, MURDERERS, FORNICATORS, DRUNKARDS, LIARS, ADULTERERS, THIEVES, etc etc *read the scripture if you want to go to heaven*….will not go to heaven (1 Corinthian 6:9) REPENT OR PERISH. Your choice. Don’t shoot the messenger. This is what the Word of God says. If you don’t believe , fine, your choice. This is REVERSE discrimination against Christians. A true Christian will tell you the truth even if it is not what you want to hear because they love you too much to let you go to hell. They won’t kiss your butt just so you can not be offended. It is time for more Christians to grow a pair seriously and stop being scared of not being politically correct. Jesus was never politically correct. Ya, we will be persecuted, but that is part of the deal of following Christ.

12. HTGR says:

Don’t worry all, don’t worry. He redeemed himself with some more comments…. he has now added that from what he saw blacks were much happier and better off during the Jim Crow era than the entitlement era of today.

13. Jack says:

Who still believes a 2000yr old book full of completely made up fairy tales describing a local fool who claimed to have walked on water, feed thousands with a couple of fish and bread, turned water into wine and cured the sick? Com’on, anyone with at least a bit of a brain knows Jesus was the local village fool who made up some incredible stories? And the people of those days were stupid enough to believe those. And look: still many many fools believe those silly stories are true. My opinion: religion is the worst thing that ever happened on this planet. No mather what your religion is. There is no god/allah/jahwe. Hurray for science!

14. Joe says:

A&E seems to either be afraid or cater to the gay community. So be it. If that is their corporate decision. If some people say it is OK to be gay, then human nature dictates there will be others who say “no it’s not”. In their own perspective, each side is correct. A&E should “direct” their people as to what they can say within the realm of their job, as spelled out in their contract. People get too wound up by “words” they don’t agree with. Let the other side have their say, then get on with living together.

15. Rachel says:

I completely disagree with everything that Phil said. But that doesn’t mean I think he should be fired from the show. That’s a basic first ammendment right. He can say whatever he wants to say and I can think he’s completely wrong about what he said but that shouldn’t have been reason for him to be suspended.

16. Joey says:

A lot of the comments here seem to give the idea that most people don’t even know what the first amendment meant when it said “freedom of speech”. It regards retaliation from the government, not from private entities. So go on and b’awww some more.

17. Diane Mullanaphy says:

It was his opinion. If A&E take Duck Dynasty off the air my family will no longer watch your channal. If GQ didn’tant to know what Phil’s feeling were on the subject then they shouldn’t have asked. It sounded like a lead in question to me.

• Diane Mullanaphy says:

Another thing does anyone watch The Family Guy? That show is so anti-everything it makes me sick, but does anyone cry about it? Just saying

18. Mikayla says:

I LOVE HOW MOST PEOPLE AGREE THAT A & E MESSED UP BY FIRING HIM. IT IS SO ANNOYING HOW BIASED THE ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY IS. THEY ARE ALWAYS BASHING ON CHRISTIANS AND NOBODY DOES ANYTHING ABOUT THAT. BEFORE I WAS A CHRISTIAN, I JUST NEVER NOTICED THE AMOUNT OF HATE TOWARDS CHRISTIANS ON TV, NOW IT IS EVERYWHERE. FAMILYGUY, SIMPSONS, ETC ETC, ALWAYS MAKING FUN OF CHRISTIANS. TALK ABOUT HYPOCRISY. JESUS SAID ON HIS SERMON ON THE MOUNT THAT BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO SUFFER FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS SAKE FOR GREAT IS THEIR REWARD. THIS MAN IS BLESSED THAT IS FOR SURE. I THANK GOD HE HAD THE BALLS TO SPEAK THE TRUTH , UNLIKE SO MANY POLITCALLY CORRECT COWARDS.

19. Haha says:

Hahaha! clearly some people are just too stupid! lol! you do realize Phil is a Christian right? and therefor does not agree with homosexuality…. because….. THE BIBLE SAYS IT IS WRONG AND CHRISTIANS KIND OF BELIVE THE BIBLE! get over it haha! just because so many modern day individuals believe homosexuality is ok doesn’t mean Christianity magically changes to accommodate that opinion! are you stupid or something?

20. Haha says:

like! oh wow! we were so shocked that Phil made a comment which went against homosexuality when the religion he has lived in his entire life specifically teaches that homosexuality is wrong! haha! and Christian’s supposedly force there religion on others pffffffft sorry, Phil wins this one guys

21. bah says:

I thought that A&E stands for Arts & Entertainment… Aren’t those two things for everyone? If homosexuality offends you, boycott A&E as clearly their decision was made to keep the LGBT community from boycotting. If you don’t like blacks, boycott BET. If you don’t like Christians or Hispanics, boycott those channels too. Sadly all channels have their own opinions and agendas and are effectively programming/brainwashing. These companies want to tell us what to think and how to believe. If you’re concerned about your children hearing profanity on television, stop using the TV as a convenient babysitter. If you don’t like what someone else believes, that’s fine, you have that right. Protecting rights by restricting others just leads to a police state in which jaywalkers will be executed. I weep for the future that is in the hands of corporations run by idiots trying to satisfy idiots.

22. I’m totally confused why a site founded by a gay man is totally OK with all of these bible-thumping bigoted morons coming out of the woodwork to spew their hate.

• bah says:

The founder isn’t confused about what “freedom of speech” means… That right allows you to call people “bible thumping bigoted morons” too. If a man was fired from a Christian channel for supporting gays, that’s ok too, right? Legal according to contract. This is one of many tools used by tv companies to control our thoughts and views.

• Buddy says:

MONEY GREED HOMO THEMSELF’S AND THE LIST GOES ON AND ON………

23. Outamerican says:

People forget freedom of speech goes both ways. Phil has the legal right to speak out as he does about how gay people and put us in the same category as terrorists and drug addicts. Though the show has a large child audience so much that there are kids toys and pjs he gets heavily graphic speaking of how a vaginas more pleasing than a mans anus. A&E also has the legal right to fire him. Phil has the freedom to speak out against gays and gays have the freedom to speak out against him.

24. pissedoffvet says:

Good job Americans!!!! While all of you overweight couch potatoes are debating over 1st Amendment rights of a guy that makes duck whistles, we lost some of our rights. While the press and media have been shotgun blasting this story, Congress passed the NDAA 2014 which creates a center that will collect all the information that the NSA has been collecting on Americans. To top it off Congress passed a budget that would lower the COLA for military retirees. All this without public out cry or hardly any media coverage. This doesn’t surprise me at all. Look and see what channels these shows are on; Duck Dynasty on the Arts and Entertainment channel, Honey Boo Boo on The Learning Channel, Pawn Stars on the History Channel, Moonshiners on the Discovery channel, the list goes on and on. I don’t blame these channels for showing reality shows, the bottom line to every business is to make money and this crap sales. It disturbs me that a vast amount of Americans watch and fallow these people like they are somewhat Gods. It sickens me to see my fellow Americans get worked up by someone that quoted the Bible but doesn’t stand up and say anything about our rights being slowly taken away from us. The founding fathers of this great country would be very disappointed in us. Wake up Americans and see what is really important!!!

• Char Inman says:

I doubt very seriously anyone considers these idiots Gods. Most people watch this for entertainment purposes only. I think that Phil is a idiot and have never watched the sh0w. I do however know people that do and no they dont consider them Gods. Really now.

25. Whoever says:

Yea and when Christ came all sins were no longer sins. Some little known quotes of Christ.

Thus saith Christ, “indulge thyself”, “any act which ye believe is ‘not that bad’ go forth and do, either because you really want to or one of thy friends is doing it, or someone on tv said so.”

“Yea, if your neighbor steals your newspaper, it is ok to shoot him twice in the back of the head because verily did he ‘kind of’ deserve it and when God saith ‘Thou shalt not kill’ he was just screwing around.”.

“Surely each of thee knows far better than God what is sin or not in thy own heart; if thou art gay then lay with others of your sex, if thou art a priest then go forth and touch little boys, if thou art in the mafia then kill those in witness protection with no fear of the FBI chasing you, for I am loving and tolerant of all things and will strike them down, or at least get a tv personality to talk smack about them, for daring to judge you”

“Truly each of thee is more knowing than God. Thou hast a high school diploma (or at least a GED.) And thy God is obviously a control freak and a homophobe…. and I heard from GLAAD that they heard that also he used to be a grand dragon in the Klan…well its just a rumor and all but still I think he’s got his own agenda going on and I just don’t think I should have to listen to him after he told me I couldn’t kill that hooker I befriended… .what a jerk”

“….and you know, I told those guys to take all the un-popular, non politically correct stuff out of the Bible so we wouldn’t have this problem, but they said it had already gone to print, and apparently something about it’s a big deal for Gutenberg to change things cause he had to set each block by hand, I don’t know….whatever. Can’t we just scan it and cross out the parts we don’t like and take it to Kinko’s? We’ll call it the Make Up Your Own Religion Cause Doing What You Want Is Easier Than Being A Christian version of the Bible. OMFG, we are going sell soooo many copies.”

-From the lost testaments of Christ, Book Of Righteous Moronism

26. Lance says:

This is so funny! Certainly shows that television and other media which “enforce” the stagnant sit-on-the-couch-and-learn-absolutely-nothing-of-value mentality truly has succeeded in it’s “mission”. Thanks for the entertainment folks!

27. mike says:

Anyone should be able to state their own opinions like it or not !
    if they don’t like it well too bad .