Report: Demi Lovato Leaving The X Factor

demi lovato leaving the x factorAnother X Factor shakeup is underway.

Demi Lovato, who has served as a judge on the Fox singing competition for the past two seasons, has tendered her resignation, reports People.com.

“She plans to spend next year completely focused on her music,” a source close to the singer-actress told the site. “She had a great run and a good time.”

A Fox spokesperson declined to comment.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

Of course, it’s not clear if The X Factor — which has seen its ratings plummet to scary new lows this fall — will live to see a Season 4. For his part, exec producer and star Simon Cowell predicted to reporters earlier this week that, “The show will be back next season,” although he hinted at a possible new role for himself.

“[It's] got to be more different next year than it was this year,” he added.  “[I'm in] the middle of a presentation of what we think the show should look like and what the fans would like. And yes, my role could change.”

1. JJM says:

The bigger shock was when she signed up to begin with.

• Aryn says:

I know, this show was doomed from the start…to similar to American Idol, and I wish they’d put both shows out to pasture – just a tired formula! Put us all out of our misery and retire X-Factor and American Idol; not sure how much more of Ryan Seacrest anyone can take!!!!

• will says:

I swear the last time I was this shocked was when I bit into my ham and cheese sandwich and discovered it had both ham and cheese inside of it.

• Eddie says:

Demi lovato is such a great star yes I was surprised when she joined the show but in a good way may she have the best of luck on what ever she does

• katnea says:

Demi Lovato not only made BEAUCOUP MONEY while being a judge on the X-Factor, she also received numerous other expensive perks as well. Also you have to take into consideration that when Ms. Lovato had signed up with this show, its ratings were still good at that time! Besides that, even a “great star” needs beaucoup money to keep up with their expensive lifestyles…eh? Indeed intelligent stars are very much aware of the fact that at any moment their stardom image can plummet in a heartbeat! And they are also very aware of the fact that they too will eventually fade out just as the other stars before them had. So yeah, I can understand why Ms. Lovato took this win-win job for herself back then. And yeah, now that this shows ratings have dropped, why she also chose to bail on em now as well. Yup, Ms. Lovato milked this job for everything it was worth…. and she still walked away the winner as far as I’m concerned. (shrug)

2. LizaJ says:

Put this sad show out of its misery. He should have stuck with Paula A.

3. Amy says:

She’s leaving before the big cancellation next season OR because she cost to much money lets not pretend its “on her own”

4. Eric says:

When is Simon going to stop being delusional and realize that the fans don’t like The X Factor? The ratings drop with every season. Nothing you do can change that. I think last season showed that with Britney as a judge. She is one of the biggest pop stars out there and even she couldn’t help the ratings. Honestly, FOX is stupid if they renew this show for another season. It barely ever gets over 4 or 5 million viewers an episode now and it averages in the low 1.0’s for the demo. That is awful and it is no brainer to cancel it. Not to mention the show has yet to produce one star. Simon is delusional and FOX needs to cancel this bull.

• Israel Castillo says:

There has been stars from the X factor including Fifth Harmony who are opening for demi lovato Emblem3 are successful & Astro whos an up and coming rap artist and is starting to make some notice in the hip hop scene so there has been stars do your research and I believe that there will be a few stars to come from season 3 it may not be right away but will be big one day guaranteed

5. Kalee says:

She’s leaving to get the leg up before X Factor’s cancellation hits the news.

6. Tran 2.0 says:

This is still the beginning of the end for X Factor.

• Lolita says:

This show has been overrated from the beginning. And I, myself can no stand that bawdy humongous stage. The stage dwarfs the contestants every things runs together in one big mess. It hurts your eyes just to look at all that is going on on that stage. Hope it won’t be around to much longer.

7. fWaxaroo says:

I’m guessing that Demi got smart early. Simon and his three chicks and poorly produced show got to be too much for me. THE VOICE has outclassed them all.

8. Jake says:

On air, itbseemscas if Demi hates simon, any truth?

9. David says:

I actually really have enjoyed X Factor and wish more people would give it a chance. The Voice has gotten frustrating with too many second chances and contestants making it through the rounds. We’ll see how Idol does add is become stale too.

• the danger says:

agreed

• Kaba says:

The Voice is frustrating with too many second chances? Sure they have a lot of second chances but at least those are ones that are set in stone and aren’t stupid surprises.
      Every season of the Xfactor has had some booted contestant coming back.

• Mary says:

The trouble is they have given it a chance and it’s bad. This is the first year I have actually watched more than a few shows, I like A&S, but I am not a faithful watcher. Fox needs to cancel this show and put the time and money into American Idol to help get that back. Never will see original numbers but after last year they have to improve. Voice is okay but I don’t get invested like I do with AI. Demi is smart to jump ship.

• greysfan says:

The X Factor is a great franchise. Australia and UK show how its done though. Simon basically over did it with the American version of the show and it has been very off putting watching it. He tinkered with the format too much and also having double eliminations each week with some unable to sing for their lives sucks. Plus there seems to be a lot more “staging” in the US version and that also hurts it. Unfortunately i don’t know how it can recover from these numbers and that is even if FOX decide to give it one last chance. I think The Voice is a bad reality show in terms of the format itself. I don’t like how iTunes sales can dictate votes either. There are pros and cons for both shows but if America got X Factor right in the first place it might be outdoing The Voice but Fox’s baby is Idol so anyway.

• Megyn says:

Completely agree. The UK version is must-see-TV. And you’re right about the “staging.” Were we really supposed to believe that Simon would realistically cut Melanie Amaro and then have a change of heart and show up at her doorstep to ask if she would consider rejoining the show? There was no need for this type of “drama.” It was completely off-putting.

• Israel Castillo says:

I like X Factor it’s watchable and the contestance are people you connect with care of course all these shows have flaws and people who we know will blow up as big stars sometimes get voted off but it’s a good show and more people should give it a chance

10. Kaba says:

Someone free Kelly Rowland from this hell hole too while they’re at it.
    I’m sorry, but if a show like this can’t hold on to majority of their judges for at least 3 seasons there’s a problem.

11. Kaba says:

Simon himself is even leaving the Xfactor US. He keeps talking about returning to Xfactor UK. And I’m certain he’ll be back next season because his replacement (Gary Barlow) just announced he was done with Xfactor UK himself.

12. gio88 says:

it’s a good thing , she isn’t a “bad” judge but i find difficult to take her seriously as judge she is young and she hasn’t the experience kelly and paulina achieved during their career!she could be a contestant instead of a judge! anyway the only judge i will keep is kelly ,the others in my opinion aren’t working , even if in my opinion the show is already damaged , even if they could find great judges i doubt people will watch the show!

13. the danger says:

i’ve always found the x factor more interesting than the voice. I appreciate they at least try to change up their songs into different genres, often putting their own spin on it, making the music sound fresh (Alex and Sierra). I feel like i am actually getting a preview of a possible artist. The voice has had some great singers, but with the exception of Melanie Martinez, they all just sing verbatim karaoke covers.

I can’t think of one song this year on the voice where a singer put an original spin on it.

• LLL says:

A lot of what Caroline Pennell sang seemed pretty original to me.

• MAB says:

Totally agree with you. I just love Caroline and felt she was very original.

• the danger says:

She has an amazingly distinctive voice and was probably my favorite of the season. I do recall her version of “anything could happen” was more bare bones and quite good, you got me on that one. Other than that one song did she do anything much different from the original version? I was really hoping her cover of “dog days are overall” would be unique, but was disappointed it was straight karaoke. Please give me examples of your point.

14. DavidSask says:

Please be smart Fox don’t barter with Simon and cancel this train wreck of a show!

15. RD says:

Great. Now if the live audience would do the same……..

16. Sigh says:

Smart move. She’s leaving because either the show will be cancelled or plummet further in the ratings, making it more of a joke. Who would want to be associated with that? Especially since she has a successful recording career and doesn’t need X-Factor. At least her exit looks more like self-preservation and a smart, calculated move than Mariah’s did on Idol. She announced her departure early to avoid her inevitable firing.

17. Rob R says:

How do we know that the show isn’t leaving her? Cant imagine FOX trying to salvage this disaster.

18. MAB says:

Demi was not a good judge this year. In the two years she has been a judge she has not picked good talent and has brought no one to the finals. If she wasn’t leaving and the show goes on I really think she would be cut. I think the only judge to survive this season is Kelly.

• Kim R says:

I was thinking the same thing. I only tune in occasionally but every time I do, Demi is mouthing off at Simon as he tries to speak. The first year I thought her speaking up was refreshing but any time I see it now she in constant “talk back” mode. And then there’s Paulina. I’m wondering if they let her go but allowing her to say she is leaving to save face. :)

• S. says:

Demi was a terrible mentor. Artists who should’ve been favorites either didn’t make it anywhere near the finale or she didn’t even pick them to go to the live rounds. Then she seemed to misjudge what made them likable and put them in sketchy costumes with backup dancers. I like her as a person and singer. She wasn’t always talking back. Simon was talking over her critiques of his artists. If she tried to say anything when it was specifically her turn, he chimed in right away, esp. if it was negative about Restless Road. I hate that he can’t let anybody have a negative opinion without making it personal against the judge in question.

19. Anne says:

One of Simon’s mistakes in trying to produce an American version was timing. I think this would have been a successful show if it had been produced much earlier. It became the hit it did in the UK because Simon produced it before the amount of “talent search” style reality programming reached critical mass and before its rivals became as firmly entrenched. Waiting like he did also allowed shows like The Voice to adapt the original ideas The X Factor UK introduced (like mentoring and extended age limits) and present them to American audiences first. If he’d introduced the American version of the show after season two of American Idol the way he introduced the original after the second series of Pop Idol then perhaps it would have been more sucessful.

The other mistake was making himself a judge. He knows what works in the music business, but he’s so abrasive that to the other judges it instantly became about beating Simon rather than finding a new music star. I’ll never forget the image of that poor little girl from the first season breaking down when she got eliminated. You could often tell in the first and second season when an elimination was engineered to stick it to Simon rather then because the act in question actually deserved to go home. This turned a lot of fans off. This season the other judges have gotten much more professional about that, but I think it’s too little too late

• Tess says:

Simon had to wait – it was part of his deal with FOX that he stay on Idol through season 9 and then X Factor would not begin until the following year, at which point they were supposed to be developing the show – picking their judge/mentor panel and host and refining the format to fit the schedule, etc.. FOX’s plan would’ve been just fine had A) Simon and co. spent that time wisely plotting to make the show the best it could be by getting the best panel together that they could and best host and so on; and B) had they not been trumped by NBC by having The Voice debut first. Simon’s still smarting about that one because it made it seem like his show was the copycat with the mentoring and sing off duels and so on, when in fact the X Factor format was created long before The Voice’s was. Oh and C) The early marketing for the show solely centered on Simon and tried to capitalize on him, as if he was the sole reason to tune in. They made the mistake of thinking because people at first were missing Simon on Idol, it meant they would tune in to see him on XF. But by the time the show started people were over Simon a bit and he wasn’t the same snarky judge he once was since he now has more invested in the show as a mentor and all.

I still like the show and still prefer it to The Voice for many of the same reasons others have stated here; I just think it’s still done better in other countries and I wonder if there will ever be a chance for them to get it right here (and how many people will be willing to still watch if/when they do get it right). I don’t have a problem with Demi leaving though; assuming the show gets another season, I’d rather see Paulina back even over Demi – at least Paulina’s managed to get one of her acts into the finale (and an unlikely one at that), which is more than Demi has ever done for hers. She often comes off like a brat who says things just to spite Simon and doesn’t often offer strong critiques. Definitely try to bring back Kelly; but it’s no loss that Demi’s going.

20. Timmah says:

This is the beginning of the shake-out for reality singing shows. Demi knows XF is about to be canceled. And I believe Idol will soon follow, unless they can produce another Underwood or Clarkson in the next season or two, which seems unlikely. The Voice will survive because they’ve figured out how to produce an entertaining show despite their winners never doing anything in the business.

21. Jillian says:

Now she can join Glee full time

22. TVLine reports this as an absolute, TV Guide reports it as a question, heh.

23. Did anyone see her live performance on the show? The 13 year old did a better job…she sucks!

• Jake says:

I totally agree. IMO she cannot sing her way out of a paper bag..Always sounds like she is gapsing for air. Just another recording studio singer with no actual talent.

• EvaneSam says:

That was an unfortunate thing. She clearly had problems hearing herself. She even took to Twitter and said she hated her performance as well. If you look for other live performances of the song (on Ellen for eg.) she is soooooo much better. She had an off night, too bad it was in front of millions of people.

• Ray says:

Perhaps that factored into her decision to quit. She must have been mortified after that performance. How can someone with no singing talent of their own critique others on a weekly basis?

24. DarkDefender says:

This is shocking news!! There are fans of XFactor?

25. Matt says:

At least we still have Paulina! ;)

26. So glad to hear she won’t be back next season! I really like the show but her voice while talking is like a chalk board screech. I’ve had to mute the TV when she gives her long speech when she critiques the contestants. Whoo hoo!!! Happy shes leaving!

27. tara17 says:

There’s probably more to this than meets the eye, but bad call on Demi’s part. What else is she going to do?

28. John Anthony says:

If The Voice continues to produce winners like Chin they will quickly follow The X-Factor down the ratings chart. At least A&S have a style all their own. Chin is just another high vocal singer and there are a lot of them out there at the present time. Future stars make these shows as the comments and public opinion attest to. Future stars such as Carrie and Kelly made the difference. I realize such stars are very hard to find and I guess we just have to realize that there will be far more disappointing seasons than good ones. One has to wonder if some of the future stars were voted off and not given a chance. I wonder what these shows would look like if the public was fused into the audition process somehow? Maybe the cost would be too high?