New Girl Scoop: Linda Cardellini Cast as Jess' Sis

Linda-Cardellini-New GirlIt’s not Emily Deschanel, but this will do very nicely.

New Girl has tapped Linda Cardellini to join the Season 3 cast in the recurring role of Abby, Jess’ (Zooey Deschanel) wild-child sister, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | New Girl Casts The O.C.’s Adam Brody as Jess’ Ex

Cardellini, whose TV credits include Freaks and Geeks, ER and, most recently, Mad Men, will first turn up in February.

New Girl resumes its third season on Tuesday, Jan. 7.

1. Elin says:

Woohoo :D

2. Nick says:

Even though I knew it wouldn’t happen, I really wanted Emily(her real sister) to play the role

3. cecilia says:

LOL. SHE WILL ALWAYS BE VELMA FROM SCOOBY DOO!!!!!!!!!!

4. Lecholls says:

Oooh, I really like this casting.

5. Sarah says:

This is acceptable, but I think everyone is missing a GOLDEN opportunity to have actual sisters play sisters, and have Emily D play the anti-Brennan.

6. Maris says:

Yes! I was watching Freaks and Geeks recently and thought that she should be on more things so this is great! Now if only the show started getting better again…

7. Sara says:

It’s disappointing but understandable that Emily couldn’t be the sister. But I’m still hopeful that they will be able to get Emily on the show, maybe as another sister or cousin?

8. Pia says:

I’m kind of a little sad that it will not be Emily deschanel, her Real sister, playing her sister on the show. I understand why, but I just Think it could have been soooo cool it was her. Hopeful they will finde a way for her to be on it at one point. Maybe as a cousin, since Zooey played one on Bones. :) I would love to se Emily play something funny and anti-Brennan. :)
    I like Linda Cardellini and if we can’t get Emily, I’m happy it’s her. :)

9. mac says:

Veeellllllmmmmaaaa :D

10. Andrew D says:

Very happy to see Linda back on TV. Loved her in Freaks and Geeks. Only wish that I could stand watching New Girl to see her.

11. Carlos T. Jackal says:

I’ll watch Linda Cardellini in anything.

(well, not “Good Burger”)

12. I remember Zooey saying in an interview once that people would come up to her and tell her they saw her at a party, when she says she really doesn’t go out that much. Turns out they were mistaking Katy Perry for Zooey. Wouldn’t that be awesome to have Katy as Zooey’s sister?