Homeland Season 3 Finale Recap: Semper Falsus

Homeland Recap Brody Dies HangingWarning: The following recap, by the very nature of the word “recap,” contains spoilers from the Season 3 finale of Showtime’s Homeland.

RELATED | Homeland Exclusive: Two Original Castmembers Not Returning as Regulars in Season 4

Well, la cucaracha esta muerta.

RELATED | Showtime Renews Homeland, Masters of Sex

As Season 3 of the spy drama neared its end, Brody had been deployed to Iran by the CIA, for the purpose of getting close to IRG boss Danesh Akbari and killing him, leaving agency plant Majid Javadi in charge. And though Brody salvaged the op and amazingly pulled off the execution — and this week, even more amazingly sneaked away, getting as far as to a safe house with Carrie, where they awaited extraction — he nonetheless wound up caught by the IRG, imprisoned, and sentenced to death by a military tribunal, as an enemy of the state.

Carrie railed at Javadi, who’d gotten the OK on this change to the op by new CIA boss Lockhart, acting on the president’s orders. Javadi, though, urged her to celebrate the success of the mission, which will only be stronger in Brody’s death. And though Brody asked her not to, Carrie was in attendance and looked on as he was publicly hanged before dusk.

Flashing forward four months….

* The embedding of Javadi has paid off — IAEA inspectors now have full access to Iran. It’s Saul’s “crowning achievement,” his wife says, even though it cost him his career at the CIA.

* A very pregnant Carrie meets with Lockhart, who invites her to lead the Istanbul bureau — a plum assignment, from where she’d handle Javadi. Carrie seizes the moment to ask if Brody can get a star at the CIA’s annual commemorative ceremony, but Lockhart stops short of  laughing in her face.

* Quinn tells Carrie that her unborn kid is a gift, and it’d be sad for her to mess things up as a parent the way he did. OK, random. Back home, we see that Carrie’s dad is aiming to make a rocking chair in anticipation of his granddaughter’s arrival. Carrie tells Dad and Maggie that she’s off to Istanbul, but not with the baby in tow. Maggie argues that the baby would ground her, but worst case, Dad offers to raise the little one.

* Dar Adal tells Saul he’s better off in the private sector, yet he can’t join him. Would Saul ever go back to the CIA? “Never,” he claims, though Dar questions it.

* At the commemorative ceremony, Lockhart hails the “America’s heroes” being remembered. Once the crowd has cleared, Carrie hangs back, gabs with Saul. He calls her Istanbul appointment “wonderful” and deserved. She in turn celebrates his big, final win, and wishes him well in New York City. Later that night, Carrie visits the wall of commemorative stars and adds one, for Brody, with the scribble of a marker.

What did you think of Homeland‘s Season 3 finale? Too much closure?

1. NotASucker says:

All you suckers who think Brody is dead are just falling for the oldest trick in the book. It’s bloody obvious that Jivadi faked Brody’s execution so that Brody can become his “evidence” to help get out from under the leverage the CIA has on him. You watch, el cock-a-roacha yet lives, and will now be working for Jivadi…

2. Ange says:

and there folks is what seems to be the blind item

3. Really? Who said Brody was dead? Do you believe everything your lying eyes see? The whole premise of the show revolves around Brody. Have we ever saw a story line that no matter how convoluted it starts, does not lead directly back to impacting Brody’s story at some point. Brody is alive, Javadi had respect for him, even telling Carrie just that fact. But, in order for him to be chosen to rule, Brody had to die… at least, appear to be hanged. I think Javadi “killed” him to set him free. Maybe to get lost in the world somewhere, but he won’t stay gone because one thing we always know about Brody… he’ll contact Carrie.

4. Gerardo says:

He’ll return next season! He’s neck looked incredibly broad when he was being hanged, it was obvious he had some protection on his neck. And Carrie turned away before he finally died, so they left the window open for his return. He was missed this season and I think the show won’t be the same without him.

5. Janet says:

It did feel like a series finale, but did Brody really die? I’m not completely convinced. The note at the top of this webpage says ““Everywhere you go, people die,” disgraced Marine sergeant Nicholas Brody was told earlier this season on Showtime’s Homeland. “But you always manage to survive, like a cockroach after nuclear bombs go off.” Personally, I will miss Saul, but you never know what could happen there. CIA Directors can be assassinated….

6. Gray Liddell says:

I agree with most of the comments. This season has popped the ‘suspension of disbelief’ balloon. When you blast off into Gee-Oh politics all the machinations seem pretty stretched.
    But the overarching message of the writers is loyalty and duty to the good ol’USA is rewarded with a red rope at the end of a construction crane. Generally that seems to be the case for individual soldiers who do the killing. The message of Homeland seems to be, ‘you better hope the Atlantic and Pacific stay full up because only idiots fight for this country.’

7. Sam says:

Are there any shows NOT killing off their characters?! It seems like all of my shows killed people this season! The only show I watch that didn’t kill anyone was Grey’s Anatomy which is totally ironic.

8. Bipolarl ishot says:

BRODY IS NOT DEAD. He is Homeland. Well him and the bipolar girl. Man she is hot! I hear bipolar girls are great in bed. Ok lost my train of thought. What were we talking about lol.

9. Len says:

You folks that have Brody alive are thinking waaazayyyyy too hard. Great actor, but storyline was finished. Even cockroaches get killed. They do die

10. Mats Haglund says:

Is Brody really dead? What do you think ? Could it be that they tryi’n to squeze out some more in Round 4? It might have been a fake hanging. Mats Haglund/ Swedish watcher.

11. jerry says:

Amazed that nobody thought that this was a fake hanging….seems to me that its the only possible ending…fake hanging and brody moves on and surprises everyone in season 4

12. jerry says:

Now I read the last few comments and I agree…brody will return..

13. Ryan N says:

I wasn’t happy about Brody dying, but I think that it was the best for the story. Keeping him alive after everything would have been a little much. What would have happened to him next? It’s not like he could have a had a peaceful life in the states. I’ll definitely be tuning in next season; I have faith in the writers and also I’m a huge Quinn fan!

14. Adam says:

The speech by Javadi where he told Carrie that now everyone would see Brody as she saw him was the best piece of writing this show has ever done and that’s saying a lot.

15. vanny says:

Im soooo very dissapointed. Series finale? Thats how I feel. Although I like Carrie & Saul, I cant imagine tunning in w/out Brody. He needs to come back!!!! How? I dont know, let the writing room figure it out or clean up this mess. Maybe he was injected w/some sort of drug that knocked him out as he was hanged. Too much was left unaswered about Brody. His burial was not shown. Bring Brody Back!!!

16. Jules says:

Good luck to the fans who choose to remain with this series, I’m done. Thanks for giving us closure on Brody, writers but everything else…wow…you killed this fangirl’s love.

So with Homeland over for me, Dexter gone and The Borgias gone, I think I’m gone too, Showtime.

17. Betty says:

The finale was a real letdown. I was absolutely expecting them both to be captured and possibly end with a cliffhanger or Quinn rushing over there to save her. They wrapped it all up a little too nicely and easily. i did think Brody would end up dead because I couldn’t see a Carrie/Brody/baby/Dana is a big sister in the US next season. But I did think that perhaps she would miscarry. Was expecting her to not be pregnant when she walked into the CIA 4 months later. A little too pat; a little too understated. Not the big bang of the last 2 seasons.

18. Forever Uncertain says:

Fantastic ending of season 3! Obviously the big question: is Brody still alive? Too many diverging queues, it is still an open question. Me thinks:

1. Suspended hanging as with Brody.. takes 10-20 minutes before death sets in. He was shown hanging for only a few minutes. Not a convincing death.

2. People who die in Homeland do so without any doubt. Bombs and bullets, lots of blood.

3. Brody in general refuses to die. If he dies in the series.. he would do so without any doubt left. But there is no Homeland without Brody…. or Carrie.

4. Saul, known to care a lot about his people, was way too happy in the last episode. He seems to have something up his sleeve. I suspect he made a deal with Javadi.. after all he can always expose him.

5. Brody would end up somewhere where he continues to operate against the enemies of Javadi, the same Shia Islamist fanatics. Who also are the enemies of Israel… Could Saul have forged a deal where Brody will work with and be protected by the Mossad?

6. If Brody did survive.. he wont stay in hiding, no point in that for the series. He will move around… pop up in Istanbul.. next time in Tel Aviv? With long periods of absence. Brody meets Saul in India.

7. Brody and Carrie.. will meet for short unexpected periods of time… as usual.. and consummate their love affair until the bitter end. Their son will be the Messiah of course, or perhaps even the Shia Messiah called The Mahdi LOL (season 9 episode14)

Great suspense. Next season will be best. Or it has now ended… as sex without an orgasm.

19. I don’t think the writing this year was bad. We might have enjoyed it a bit less because there was less novelty. It’s hard to sustain momentum after 3 years; all the attractive people have had sex with each other in all permutations; everyone has had a life threatening dilemma. everyone has been hospitalized, near death.

killing off a major character and changing the backdrop to turkey gives the writers a lot of new things to explore, and a new star to hire.

20. John says:

To me the show is more about the effects and toll the so-called war on terror (the back drop for this series anyway), takes on the main characters involved, and less about the logic of the plot and or plot holes as the case may be, or whether anything needs to make complete sense as it moves forward. Once I adopted this way of looking at the show, I was able to tolerate it’s shortcomings easier. Not a perfect series, but I thought this season was better than the last one. My 2 cents.

21. Gridley01 says:

I think most of you are missing the true star of this series. And that is Carrie. She is the center of it, NOT Brody. He is a terrorist, Carrie and Brody had good chemistry, but it’s over with him. For the future of the show, he had to go. A new and compelling terrorist will emerge and the show will move on. Saul will be back, under carrie. Carrie will keep the baby with Quinn as the dad.

22. MadderFragger says:

It’s amazing how shortsighted most of the viewers of Homeland apparently are. The one’s who can’t see Brody’s character come back to the US. The one’s who think his character is a dead-end after alleged as the CIA bomber and then killing Akbari. You can’t see him return to the US and continue the story without Javadi being blown? C’mon people, are you new to the espionage plots and twists and the whole covert ops and unprovable conspiracies? Really?! No really they didn’t have to kill Brody because his character cannot return next season with an interesting story line. He could’ve! I guess I’m just more gifted with a more exciting imagination. Showtime should’ve talked to me, perhaps if they didn’t kill Brody’s character the likelihood of Homeland’s future series survivability would’ve been better than Javadi in Iran on a blown cover!

23. MadderFragger says:

Alright let me break a spoiler for you for the next series: Brody is not dead!
    Remember when he specifically asked Carrie to not show up at the execution? There’s a reason to that which is not what you think. Brody had an accomplice. Da da da dah!
    The noose was rigged and was attached to a wire harnessed to his body.
    Brody won’t be back in the US, at least not yet. Carrie is assigned to Istanbul. And no, that’s not in the US either!
    Watch the next season! If you think that you’ve seen it all, the new CIA chief won’t be there for long either. He’s not exactly a character that people like to watch. That makes him extremely expendable along the storyline. And he’s going down in a big sorta way.
    So there you have it. Sorry for the spoilers. But either you love it or hate it, Homeland will NOT be without Brody!

24. Damian says:

the only way season 4 can be appealing for me to watch… is that brody wakes up from a nightmare while sleeping in the safe house :) lets lobby for that :)

25. Jake says:

Thanks for the spoiler – “Brody dies” in the google search results title of this page. Officially crossing tv line off my list of sites to read. :/

26. Frankie says:

I would like to see next season become carries quest to clear Brody’s name and provide full closure for the series so it can go out on top.

27. Amy says:

You spoiled the finale for me with the inconsiderate page title used on this web page. I just googled “Homeland season 3″ so that I could read some additional information on the episode I had just watched and this site showed up in the results as “Brody dies”. All the other web pages referring to the finale had very covert page titles, so nothing was given away. Please be more considerate in the future!!!

28. Manon says:

“Good by LOVE……” Brody tells carrie at the canadian border…. end of season 2…..

29. Melanie says:

I am very disappointed in the writing on this show. If the intent was always to kill off Brody, then why spend so much time on building up the relationship between Brody and Carrie? Why so much focus on Brody’s relationship with his daughter? All of those storylines, which were much of the focus for seasons 1 and 2, are now just left hanging. It was a good show, and I enjoyed the first two seasons, but as I said, I was disappointed with the poor writing in season 3. We won’t be renewing our Showtime subscription (which we only got to watch Homeland)

30. Molly says:

This headline is an absolute travesty. It comes up in a Google search for many things Homeland-related and completely spoils the entire show. Have a little class like every other publication around and don’t spoil the whole season in an unnecessary headline. It isn’t even a clever headline, Jesus.

31. Zzeese says:

I understand the part that ‘Brody had to die’ to some point, but I dont agree that he should die in Iran and not be “punished” that way, because yes, he was a bad person, made an attempt for terrorism ,but he went in Iran to clear his name, he went there for America, and they just left him die.
    There isnt too much logic in all this for me, because a lot of things are unclear still. For me , it seems like a childhood game, when someone is playing with the kids then has to go for dinner home and you kill him, just to continue the game. But, this is a real series and writers should read all of the comments and they should know that even though Carrie is/should be the main character, for all of us it was Brody, because we saw him suffering, we saw him weakened by the pain and we saw him being emotional.

I didnt even saw the last episode, I just read that Brody is dead, so I dont wanna watch it and I dont wanna continue watching. I am just really dissappointed, I have never been dissapointed by a show earlier like this, but now I am , and I am done. No more Homeland for me.

If I wanted to watch a show about what CIA is doing I would watch another one and I am not an American, but again I cant get why they send him to clear himself in Iran and he died by Iranians. He could die so many times during season 1 and 2, even with the heroine in Colombia. Not everything in life is black&white, they had a lot of options.

• ghostpicnic says:

I wish I was lucky like you and avoided the last episode. But unfortunately I saw it and I have to deal with the sheer aftermath.

32. Suzanne says:

what will you ever do without all those :”F” words. Gosh. Do people in washington dc actually use that word that much???????

33. Erica janelle says:

Is this show over? I mean where do you go from here? This season seemed to tie up rather nicely in preparation for a zero return season. I’m pretty sure it’s done. Brody’s dead, Saul is out and Carrie is pregnant and bipolar which means CIA land is out for her too. Ridiculous! I feel like I was ripped off. I thought this show was going to be atleast six seasons but honestly the writing was poor this season. Carrie literally leads this show. Brody was top notch but now that you’ve killed him … Sorry I just don’t care any more. Also I thought it was over the top all the torture and events that he ended up surviving so maybe writing him off was where the writers were forced to go when it came to his character. Also what about Brody’s family? Suddenly there out of the show too? It was a crappy ending. Maybe that was the point. The ending that is.

• Melanie says:

I agree completely. Very disappointed in this entire season, kept waiting for SOMETHING to happen…and then when it did, it was to kill off the only character/storyline that was remotely holding my interest? Goodbye Homeland…I cancelled my Showtime subscription two weeks ago.

34. Natacha says:

I was really disappointed with the end of season 3! I don’t think Brody’s death makes any sense… Why did he had to suffer that much? 8 years as a prisoner, tortured, almost killed in Colombia, drug addict in awful conditions in Venezuela, forced cold turkey, lost the will to live, made a marine again and then just died hanged?! What about all the conversation with Carrie about “this was love”, or “I’ll be back again, not just for Dana”? And I also don’t understand the way he was captured. So, he managed to overcome torture, drugs, rehab, go to Iran, passed the border, completed with success the mission the US government gave him and when he was already in a safe house the US government gave him up to Iran?! They didn’t catch him running, he was already safe and expected to be rescued in a few hours and the US government gave him up to be killed?! It doesn’t make sense! There are a lot of things that don’t make sense (the bomber was just an anonymous guy?; he meets Dana, what about his son?; why are they so happy in the end?; Carrie said they were meant to be together and then she just doesn’t care about her baby, the only thing she has left of Brody?) but I really liked this show almost until the end. I think Brody is one of the main characters, just as Carrie. If he dies it’s like watching another show. I would even like to see Carrie with Queen, but I think Homeland is all about Carrie and Brody.

35. blahblahblah says:

I have an idea! If you want to warn people of spoilers, maybe don’t put the biggest poiler of the season in your tagline, you moron!

36. You know what would be great? Not titling the recap page or URL with “Brody Dies” so those of us that simply type “Homeland Season 3″ into Google don’t get a spoiler from the search results.

37. tjax03 says:

So many people are upset that Brody died. I get it but this show is not about brody its HOMELAND its about the CIA at its core. Brody was just a character to the bigger picture. Brody had to die once he betrayed his country on the news even if it was the plan. The CIA couldnt say he was working for him as then that would kill everything. Brody wouldnt have been able to step foot back in America.

Now had Brody been able to kill the Iranian leader as originally planned with the cyanide then it would’ve been a different story. The bomber couldve been placed somewhere else and brody could’ve been aquitted of all charges. But once Brody went on TV as the bomber and said to Tehran in the media that he hated america it was over for him.

38. Sid says:

I was very disappointed in the season finale, I don’t think I will continue to watch. I can’t believe they choose to kill Brody.

39. Barry says:

Really? Putting the biggest spoiler in the title? In the title that is even visible on Google search results? F you Matt, you’re a disgrace to the journalism.

40. Anon says:

How about not putting the spoiler in the title of your article, jerk?

41. jm says:

Thanks a lot for spoiling the entire show with the headline for this article. Did a google search for ‘Homeland Season Three’ to see when it will be available for purchase since I don’t have cable and love the show; and halfway down the page there was the headline for this article that gave away the biggest spoiler possible for any TV show. Irresponsible and unprofessional. Even worse coming from a supposed ‘TV aficionado’. If you were really passionate about TV you wouldn’t want to ruin it for everyone else.

42. jhon says:

You just ruined it for me idiot. Google tag line Brody Dies. WTF!!!!!!! im 3 episodes in types in homeland season 3 and this pops up. SO UNFAIR!!!!!! ITS FINE THOE BECAUSE YOU HAVE SEEN IT SO RUIN IT FOR EVERYONE ELSE

43. Jane says:

I am canceling showtime because homeland is the only reason I ordered it. However, every season gets worse. And with Brody being killed off I will never watch homeland again . It doesn’t even make sense . If the CIA finally cleared his name, there was no reason to kill him off.
    Ex follower of homeland, showtime,
    Jane Whit

44. Jane says:

I will be canceling showtime tomorrow. This was the worst season of homeland and made no sense. It was poorly written, and the plot was terrible. It’s sad because the 1st two seasons were great and if was very excited to watch all of them on showtime on demand. What a waste of time spent. And to top it off why would they kill off Brody was a horrible decision! If he did what they asked, and his name was cleared, there just wasn’t any good reason. At least on game of thrones, it all males sense.
    Ex follower of homeland , ex showtime subscriber,
    Jane Whit

45. Jane says:

Third season of homeland was terrible. I will not be watching another season or subscribing to showtime no longer. I was very excited to watch season 3 on showtime on demand, but was beyond disappointed. The plot was horrible, the writing was amateur, and the whole thing didn’t add up. Why kill off Brody if he did what was asked, and if his name could be cleared? Absolutely none of it made sense.
    Will not continue to watch if there’s a 4th season.
    Ex follower of showtime , ex homeland viewer,
    Jane Whit

46. Sue davis says:

It’s a mistake to kill off Brody. You will
    Lose a lot of interest in the show. Brody was always the driving force and the soul of the show

47. Deb Buzza says:

Homeland wont be the same with out Brodie. We don’t know for sure if he is dead, we didn’t see him cut down and checked by a doctor so it’s possible for it to be a set up and really is on the other side.

48. breaking101 says:

Just as Walter White in Breaking Bad, Brody wanted to die. True, that Walter was going to die anyway from cancer but he couldn’t live with himself and the carnage he caused along the way. So too with Brody. They talked about all the people that died because of him. He wanted to make reparation for the sins he’s committed. So in a way, it’s good that he died. However, also as in Breaking Bad, the series should end. They can have spin offs but not the same series.