Homeland Season 3 Finale Recap: Semper Falsus

Homeland Recap Brody Dies HangingWarning: The following recap, by the very nature of the word “recap,” contains spoilers from the Season 3 finale of Showtime’s Homeland.

RELATED | Homeland Exclusive: Two Original Castmembers Not Returning as Regulars in Season 4

“Everywhere you go, people die,” disgraced Marine sergeant Nicholas Brody was told earlier this season on Showtime’s Homeland. “But you always manage to survive, like a cockroach after nuclear bombs go off.”

Well, la cucaracha esta muerta.

RELATED | Showtime Renews Homeland, Masters of Sex

As Season 3 of the spy drama neared its end, Brody had been deployed to Iran by the CIA, for the purpose of getting close to IRG boss Danesh Akbari and killing him, leaving agency plant Majid Javadi in charge. And though Brody salvaged the op and amazingly pulled off the execution — and this week, even more amazingly sneaked away, getting as far as to a safe house with Carrie, where they awaited extraction — he nonetheless wound up caught by the IRG, imprisoned, and sentenced to death by a military tribunal, as an enemy of the state.

Carrie railed at Javadi, who’d gotten the OK on this change to the op by new CIA boss Lockhart, acting on the president’s orders. Javadi, though, urged her to celebrate the success of the mission, which will only be stronger in Brody’s death. And though Brody asked her not to, Carrie was in attendance and looked on as he was publicly hanged before dusk.

Flashing forward four months….

* The embedding of Javadi has paid off — IAEA inspectors now have full access to Iran. It’s Saul’s “crowning achievement,” his wife says, even though it cost him his career at the CIA.

* A very pregnant Carrie meets with Lockhart, who invites her to lead the Istanbul bureau — a plum assignment, from where she’d handle Javadi. Carrie seizes the moment to ask if Brody can get a star at the CIA’s annual commemorative ceremony, but Lockhart stops short of  laughing in her face.

* Quinn tells Carrie that her unborn kid is a gift, and it’d be sad for her to mess things up as a parent the way he did. OK, random. Back home, we see that Carrie’s dad is aiming to make a rocking chair in anticipation of his granddaughter’s arrival. Carrie tells Dad and Maggie that she’s off to Istanbul, but not with the baby in tow. Maggie argues that the baby would ground her, but worst case, Dad offers to raise the little one.

* Dar Adal tells Saul he’s better off in the private sector, yet he can’t join him. Would Saul ever go back to the CIA? “Never,” he claims, though Dar questions it.

* At the commemorative ceremony, Lockhart hails the “America’s heroes” being remembered. Once the crowd has cleared, Carrie hangs back, gabs with Saul. He calls her Istanbul appointment “wonderful” and deserved. She in turn celebrates his big, final win, and wishes him well in New York City. Later that night, Carrie visits the wall of commemorative stars and adds one, for Brody, with the scribble of a marker.

What did you think of Homeland‘s Season 3 finale? Too much closure?

1. Ely Panico says:

It is not Just Carry, or Brody., but the combination of the two.
    Carries faith in him, their hyper personal attraction ans physical chemestrry.. This kind of romance and (sex) facinates the romantics in the audience, The guys love the war, guns, blood as well as the notion of true love… I still think the death was staged. Brody is alive, and the “spy” Iranian has Brody hidden away safely, presumed dead….Maybe in Istanbull……

2. Cody says:

Brody wasn’t in half of the episodes this season and it didn’t damper the story line more than the writers did… I don’t see how if he is dead that the show can be worse than a majority of this season was

3. Sandy says:

I love Homeland but tonight’s episode depressed me. I love Brodys complex character. I do think the 8 years of torture and brainwash broke him but he was getting his loyalties and values back. I don’t think he’s dead — execution was in the dark…..his back was to a wall….He was leveraged with a harness that took his full body weight off noose. He’ll be back but I agree with many on here, even if I’m right, the show seems less and less credible. I don’t need a documentary to be happy but at least story lines have to ring true. Carrie taking over Baghdad, after her antics, is too unbelievable. The VIA trusting Brody, with anything, after he wore a suicide vest? So, even if Brody wasn’t killed I’m still sad that the excitement of the series seems over since I can’t suspend my disbelief any longer. unless all of this, from the beginning, is somehow planned and explained maybe by Saul.

4. Nick says:

This should have been the series finale. Brody was the lifeblood of the show.

5. Alan M. says:

I really thought Carrie was gonna go back home and get even with the new director and that pu**y Dar Adal. Either break the story to the press or take them out. Her deciding to continue to play the game and take the post to Istanbul was inconsistent with her previous insubordinate behavior were Brodie was concerned.

6. Alan M. says:

“He was leveraged with a harness that took his full body weight off noose”

Why do you guys keep pointing that out? They couldn’t hang him for real! It looked fake because it was fake! Did you want Mr. Lewis to really hang from his neck instead of a harness just so you would believe Brodie really did die? lol, just having fun with you…but really, that’s the way they did the stunt.

7. walt kowalski says:

Brody isn’t dead…duh. Trickery for the masses. he will appear in istanbul. Easty to fake a hanging death.

8. Et al says:

I can’t believe so many people think Brody might still be alive. Did the patients of some head injury ward discover this site tonight or something?

• Mike says:

If they wanted him dead, they would have snapped his neck. Period. Everyone was waiting for him to be dropped and it didn’t happen. They left an opening for his possible return. I guess we will have to wait and see.

• Gridley01 says:

Couple facts here.. 1. Brody will be back 2. He will be an inch taller

9. no brody, no homeland says:

Goodbye Homeland. Without Brody, I won’t watch the show.

10. Patrick says:

I could really care less re Brody’s death. To be entirely honest they should have allowed him to die at the end of S1, killing the VP and all, rather than dragging it out. I only watched this season for Saul and his tenure as acting Director. I only hope Dar’s comments foreshadow some return to The Company in S4, ’cause if Saul’s out so am I.

11. Britta Unfiltered says:

I’m depressed. I can’t talk about it. I’m thinking of dying my hair.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Okay, I have to talk about it. I think this is the end of my Homeland fangirl status. I’ll still watch the show, of course. I’m very loyal to my shows, even when they take a turn for the worse. But maybe Masters of Sex is where I will focus my energies on next fall.
      Either one of two things is going on with the mole. A) They have no idea where to go with that storyline and gave it up and hoped nobody would notice that it was never solved. B) They are still saving it, making us wait four years to get the answer to that question. Either way, not cool! We never did find out who gave (Hareem?) that razor blade at the CIA safe house.
      I’m honestly sitting here trying to think of positives for the episode. I’m not sure I can come up with anything. I didn’t care for the whole “four months later” status of the episode where everything looked all nice and happy and all the characters were so content. Dar Adal and Saul were friends again. Carrie was all aglow and hired by a man who I can’t believe would ever be content having her in the CIA. I guess the scene with Carrie drawing the star on the wall was nice. But…yeah, I don’t really know what to say about the whole thing. I feel beat up. I feel like I got betrayed by my best friend.
      But enough of my Homeland histrionics. So…2013 is the year of the popular character kill-off on all our favorite shows, no? I’m still mad about what Boardwalk Empire did!

• Matrim says:

The only mole I remember was the one that was reporting to that Senator and sleeping with Saul’s wife. They caught him and stuff. Things and stuff. I got things, I’m doing stuff.

• WarrenMA says:

I am ok that Brody was ‘killed off’ if he is really dead. When you have to suspend belief sometimes that works. But when you have to do it all the time, it doesn’t. Too many times during the season we are asked to ignore stuff that did not make sense. The last episode was full of this stuff. A safe house that in Iran that was not compromised, Don’t they remember the last time the were at a ‘safe house’? Brody getting into Iran, committing the crime and just walking out of the building?, Carie and Brody making it to the safe house, and it never occurs to either of them that the same folks back at CIA HQ who burned them over and over again would (surprise) DO IT AGAIN!, White woman with a head scarf shows up at the public execution for the infamous American Nick Brody who was paraded as a HERO in Iran and nobody stops her, arrests her, even notices her even after climbing the fence and calling out Brody’s name?

• WarrenMA says:

I forgot to comment on your Boardwalk Empire, mention. I am with you. I am still mad at that show for killing off a couple of my favorites characters.

12. Fudgefase says:

Assuming Damian’s the ‘Blind Item’ we’ve been waiting on for weeks, then I’ll be interested to see what he does next. He was brilliant in ‘Life’ and I was gutted when that was cancelled. He does interesting work, so roll on his next project.

13. greysfan says:

I really have no idea where they are going to go from here. Brody was one of the main reasons i watched. To be honest they could have ended it there and then. It was imo a fitting series finale but it will be back so i guess not. The only thing i could think of is that the whole thing was staged and that he will be back but i have serious doubts. I’m also guessing now this is the blind item. Have we got an answer already Ausiello?

14. Auntie Ralph says:

The hell are they going to do another season? The most interesting character is dead.

15. Yonomeaburro says:

No hemos visto el cuerpo de Brody. Brody no está muerto. No me lo creo. La cuarta temporada se la pueden ahorrar. Ha sido una tomadura de pelo.

16. Anthony says:

I’m so disappointed and feel that I wasted my time this season. I’m happy that Dana will not return, her story line was exhausting. Now that Brody is dead, there is no reason to watch. I’m sure that they will get rid of Sal next.

17. jm says:

Instead of “la cucaracha está muerta” it fits better about what you said before (as spanish speaker) “la cucaracha se murió”

18. Nichole says:

While it’s sad to see Lewis leaving the show, it was the right move character wise to give Brody up for the kill. The thing that annoyed me though about that as a final to his story is the way Carrie acted at the hanging. This was supposed to be a public hanging of a traitor to Iran with the IRG all over the place, and not one of them thought a white women (or any women for that matter) climbing the fence yelling “BRODY” wasn’t out of place and worth looking into to??

The final for last season felt like a series final, then the bomb went off and you got the wow factor of what the set up for next season was going to be. This year you got all the wrap up, but no set up, no wow factor to bring you back. With Saul and Brody gone, leaving only Carrie and Quinn really as main characters, it’s very hard at this point to see where they came go.

19. Chloe says:

Quite simply: I don’t know why this show has been renewed.
    They basically ended the series not the season, I can’t really see where the show is going to go from here. Carrie raising or not raising a child isn’t interesting, or her being in Istanbul. Saul has ‘left’ the CIA, Brody seems to be dead. All the main components of the show have received closure there doesn’t seem to be a story anymore.

20. Jane Austin says:

NO BRODY, NO HOMELAND.

21. Will says:

This show just fell apart during this season. Damian Lewis got jacked with the crap writing this season so won’t be back…. They’ll bleed it dry until it gets axed…so at least 1 more season of Carrie crying every episode.

22. RP27 says:

Guess what asshole, your article shows up in google search for homeland season 3 with the words “Brody dies” in the title. Haven’t seen the episode yet, I was only trying to find the air date to see if it was available yet or not. Don’t know whether it’s you or your editor who is responsible, but thanks a f***ing bunch, guys. Totally negated your own spoiler alert, numbnuts.

23. jesus says:

Brody and Carrie together made the show…..this is an epic fail….If not one the most catastrophic moves in tv series history. There is officially nothing to watch on TV anymore. Im done!

24. dragenfly75 says:

Oof, the typos/mistakes in this story! So aggravating. I hate that they killed Brody. DL is an incredibly dynamic actor & the best episodes this year were the ones that he was in. It all felt very final to me. Not sure I need to come back next year, although I do love Quinn…

25. Debbie says:

Shame on you writers! Sad, very disappointed. No Homeland anymore without Brody.

26. Spoiler Alert? Already spoiled by titling your meta tags for the search engines: “‘Homeland': Brody Dies — RECAP: Season 3 Finale – TVLine”. SMH.

27. pam says:

While it did seem like a series finale, this episode is what tv writers call burning the house down. It’s starting fresh and heading in another direction. I’m not exactly sure what that direction is, but I’m pretty sure that is what they are doing. I’m actually glad Brody is gone. I had a feeling they were killing him off when I saw the write up off his wife and daughter not being regular cast members anymore earlier this week. Should be interesting…

28. Ruby says:

I have a feeling he is not dead, he’s like a cockroach – rem!

29. RichieS says:

The way to save Homeland is to merge it with the new 24 reboot. Can you imagine Carrie Mathieson and Jack Bauer teaming up against Al-Qida? Who could resist watching that?

• Jack & Carrie would be awesome together. Homeland is very similar to 24. And it feels like Season 4 is going to have to be a reboot. Start afresh, just like 24 did with Season 4. And if it continues past that, constantly reinventing and changing key characters. I like the idea of Carrie & Quinn being closer. I’m pretty sure Carrie will drag Saul to Istanbul.

30. Tim says:

This season did not live up to the 2 before it but how could it. It was still good compared to most shows on TV today, but the storylines and plot issues that were forgotten about or briefly addressed stand out. There were no “manhunt” for Brody scenes at the beginning of the season to make it seem like he was really wanted in the U.S. Where did Roya Hammad and her terrorist partner M.M. go? We never got an explanation to the events surrounding how brody’s car was moved and his involvement but what we did get was some guy in a hotel who we are supposed to believe is this super heel that moved the car. For such an investment in storytelling surrounding Brody’s family over the past 3 seasons for it to just disappear into nothing the way it did was a waste of time. And all those scenes about Mike and Brody’s wife continuously falling for each other but just end it cold in season 3 was pointless. What about Brody’s marine friends who thought he was part of the conspiracy? And Quinn’s underutilization throughout the season after being central to the start of the premiere of season 3.

31. sabrina says:

Good episode. I think it was the logical choice to kill off Brody as it’s unrealistic for him to keep evading death. I am looking forward to seeing what happens next season.

32. Dennis says:

Homeland’s key character was Brody… period. You don’t kill off a key character and expect that the show will go on. They want as much money as they can squeeze out of this thing. My guess is Brody will be back through an arrangement made with Javadi long before the final episode. Bottom line: if Brody is indeed out, than I am too!

33. Carolina Girl says:

The writers snafued this the minute they made Brody the bad guy. This show could have been a heck of a lot better had they not gone down that road. I only watched the show because of Damian Lewis and the writing was really good up until the time they blew up the CIA because it is unbelievable.

34. drora says:

For a really great show watch the Israeli series which was the inspiration to Homeland, Prisoners of War. The Israeli title is actually Hatufim, which means “abductees”. It is raw, heart-stopping and real, and it ends after only two seasons, leaving one drooling for more. Gideon Raff, the director/producer/screenwriter for the Israeli series is also listed as a producer of Homeland. I can just imagine him in production negotiations with the Hollywood gods. Well, he is crying all the way to the bank.
    (The Israeli series is available on Hulu. My only affiliation with that service is my monthly subscription to it.)

• Olivia says:

Dora, thanks for talking about the Israeli show. I’ve wanted to see it. Was it only 2 seasons because it was canceled or was it because that is simply the amount of time needed to tell the story? I would have such respect for the show’s producers and writers if they decided to tell the story they wanted to and not drag it out just for ratings and more money.

• drora says:

I don’t think the show was cancelled, although it must’ve been a very expensive production and funds for Israeli shows are nowhere near Hollywood ones. I choose to believe that there was a decision that more would be less.
        In Treatment, also an Israeli show in its origin, also ended after two seasons. The American third season of that show was terrible, compared to the two first outstanding seasons, which were much more similar to the Israeli show than Homeland is to its origin.
        Anyone out there who watched Prisoners of War?
        (My name, by the way, is Drora.)

35. joan says:

Season 3 meandered with the overly long Carrie-Iranian play and pointlessly diverted Dana subplots. But when Brody returned, the show was nothing short of ELECTRIFYING. I do believe Brody’s hanging was staged by Jarvardi and that he’s still alive. I want to believe the ‘cockroach’ comment was deliberate foreshadowing; otherwise, it’s too unforgiving/disparaging a term for a closure of redemption. I love Quinn, but he doesn’t come close to Brody’s complexity and power.

36. JAT says:

Homeland could have been one of the shows to be added to the TV master piece shows in history, such as Soprano, Breaking Bad, House of Cards, etc…..the quality of acting in the show has been excellent, but, the writers have made a deadly mistake for the integrity and survival of the show….
    ….

37. JAT says:

Homeland could have been one of the shows to be added to the TV masterpieces in history, such as Sopranos, Breaking Bad, House of Cards….the quality of acting in the show has been excellent, but, the writers have made some deadly mistakes for the integrity and survival of the show. Let me elaborate;
    You have to have a clear understanding on who are your leading character/characters in the show. The once that the whole story will be developing around……at least for the audience, it was clear from day one that the leading characters were Brody and Carrie…..if everyone else would have disappeared and been replaced by new characters, the show will continue with additional excitement and adding new and interesting challenges to the story develop around these two…..apparently, this has not been that obvious for the writers…mainly in season 3, you can see how they have tried to develop potential new leading characters, like Saul, trying to replace Brody……this mistake can cost the continuation of the show past season 4.
    The second and more damaging mistake is, that you never want to put yourself in a situation where the survival of any of your leading characters has to be in question in order to continue the integrity of the story….you do not want to put yourself in the corner…..this is very much an act of suicide for the show…you want to have a show that develops on the direction where the audience wants to see more exciting things happening to the main characters, ……nobody in the Sopranos team would even cross their mind to get Tony Soprano or his wife ‘whack’ in the middle of the season….or having Walter White or Jesse Pinkman kill at the end of season 3……

Overall, it is very sad to realize that Homeland had the potential to be another TV masterpiece!!!!!
    ….

• Journey_95 says:

I agree with you man This season was soo boring for the most part but when Brody came it was Homeland again and then they kill him off
      ( that would be ok by me if this had been the series finale but sadly its not)

• Noelle says:

Totally agree with Journey_95. Without the Brody and Carrie dynamic, there’s no reason to watch Homeland anymore. Damian Lewis is an AMAZING actor – second only to Claire Danes in my opinion – and they kill him off. What the heck were the writers thinking?

• nnmm says:

I so agree with your post JAT too bad the producers / writers of Homeland did not see it like that. Sad to realize that what a show could have been will no longer be. The emotional investment that the audience put into this show and these characters just to have it taken away so soon in a series is just beyond my comprehension. And if the writers / producers don’t care, well then neither do I in continuing to watch Homeland. Homeland was so special the first and second seasons and it is sad to know that the producers / writers could not see that. Damien Lewis and what he brought to the character of Brody was acting gold and the dynamic between Carrie / Brody was something. It is not replaceable by any existing character or new character. Homeland this season only got electric when Brody was reintroduced; the only reason why I watched to previous episodes was to see when Brody was going to reappear. There was no magic in those episodes. Very disappointed. Will though watch anything that Damien Lewis will appear in cannot say for Homeland.

• drora says:

House of Cards is a remake of a BBC series.

38. thewolf says:

To even things out, saul should get killed by a random mugger armed with a napkin-wrapped glass shard, carrie should die in an ambulance crash, quinn should be iced after a bad coke deal with the Russian mafia, and dar adal should succumb to ecoli poisoning from a whitecastle burger. Javadi should be bit by a scorpion while in the bathroom, and die from the subsequent blood poisoning in an agonizing fifteen minute scene. Lockhart should be pumping gas at a Chevron when approached by a group of latino gangsters who beat him to death and steal his watch and chevy suburban. Brody’s wife ends up overdosing on neo citron and tylenol 3s and never wakes up. Dana is kidnapped and ends up in a human trafficking ring in eastern Ukraine. The end.

39. DavidSask says:

Does anyone else think that Showtime made a mistake bringing this show back for another season? I don’t think it can be saved far too many have fled the show deservedly so!

40. He is definitely dead. You can read interviews he has done online

41. Carol says:

SOOOOOOOOOOO disappointed in killing off the one of the main characters………writers if u have any brains you will have faked his death………if not No MORE Homeland for me.

42. drora says:

It would be really cool to have a show with Saul as the main character, starting way before the beginning of Homeland – how he became a CIA agent, the story of his marriage, and maybe, MAYBE, get him to sing a little ditty every other episode or so. Carry might appear as a character at some point, her Iraq tours of duty and such.

43. Adam says:

Way to give away the ending in the title of you article, when i entered “Homeland Season 3″ into search engine I was really happy that you were one of the top hits and that you ruined it for everyone who hadnt seen it yet. Way to go champ

44. MP says:

Overall a terrible season, but there were a few standout episodes, including this finale. I liked Brody, but he was so broken, where do you go with him storyline wise in the future? More missions? I’m interested to see if the blind item will be confirmed as Mr. Lewis. I thought the blind item said the person’s next project would be announced the day after he or she was killed off their current show.

45. Olivia says:

I understand what a lot of you who love Brody are going through. Sons of Anarchy just killed off my favorite character and my first thought was “That’s it—-I’m done.” I don’t feel the same about Brody only because there really didn’t seem like any other realistic conclusion for him. There was nowhere he could have had a normal life, let alone a good one. I think the amazing chemistry between Carrie and Brody was an unforeseen problem. I don’t think the writers anticipated how great their story would be and how many people would want Brody to stay alive because of it. But the story they began telling just didn’t have a longterm place for him. Just my two cents…

46. Dexter says:

Whhaaaa ? Brody’s dead? The show is meant to be all about him ? They may as well change the title now to ‘The Carrie Show’

47. BJ says:

Having Carrie heading Istanbul is a hard hard sell for me. I’m intrigued but resigned.

48. John T. says:

I think Brody is alive. Majid Javadi was able to get the cyanide syringe slipped to Brody in the planned attempt on #2. It’s likely he could have arranged the public hanging as purely propaganda while keeping Brody alive to counter Carrie’s control of him in the future. He’s got no bargaining chips with the Agency if Brody is truly dead.

At least that’s what I’m hoping for, because without Brody, Homeland is Hopeless.

49. Kevin says:

For me Carrie has always been the lead and the show can survive without Brody. Like 24 survived without Tony or David Palmer and many others…However this 3rd season was just not that great. I actually sometimes forgot to watch…It was confusing until the plan became clear. The whole Dana stuff was a waste of time that could have been used for something better. Was like the dumb Kim stories in 24 Season 2. And last but not least Carrie was way, way too stable in this Season. She wasn’t bipolar at all. That whole part was missing and also a main plot line.

50. Alia says:

I think Brody is not really dead because which is the sense of this tv show if he is dead, anyway, this season was very very poor.