The X Factor Season 3 Semifinal Results Recap: What Doesn't Kill You Makes a Fighter

the-x-factor-semifinal-results-carlito-oliveroCan I get a slow clap for The X Factor ? (No, that’s not a subtle put-down of Paulina Rubio.)

Seriously, while the results shows of most reality singing competitions are built on a flimsy foundation of “60 seconds of news”/”59 minutes of cornmeal filler and deadly group performances,” the House That Simon Cowell Burned to the Ground Built introduced a far more entertaining twist for revealing its semifinal vote tallies: As each of the Top 3 artists advanced into next week’s finale, they immediately began what Mario Lopez called “their campaigns to win” the whole enchilada.

In other words, why put off till next Wednesday what you can do today — having each of the advancing artists tackle brand new numbers in an attempt to generate broader and more enthusiastic fan bases. Added bonus: Actual singing, with actual stakes! Mr. Cowell hasn’t gotten much right since bringing X Factor stateside — now that was a subtle dig at PowPow — but in this particular hour, the nation’s fourth favorite* reality singing competition put its rivals to shame. (*Out of four.)

PHOTOS | Golden Globe Nods 2014: The 30 Biggest Snubs!

With that, let’s skip a discussion of Enrique Iglesias’ “Heart Attack” — I had to look away on account of the aggressive strobe lights, anyhow — and cut to the results.

Wait! What’s that? Paulina wants to make a statement about her last remaining act? “I feel amazing to see you grow. You’re different. You’re such big artists. I love you Carlito. I love you all!”

Alrighty, then!

First Act Sent Through to the Finals
Carlito Olivero: Elvis Crespo’s “Suavamente” — Grade: B+ | I know, I know, a tub of melted Velveeta has less cheese than Carlito. (Ha! Fooled ya! Velveeta isn’t cheese at all!) But Carlito sang with terrific joy and energy — probably because he couldn’t believe he wasn’t going to the guillotine.

Second Act Sent Through to the Finals
Alex & Sierra: Passenger’s “Let Her Go” — Grade: B+ | Superb harmonies, as always, but maybe with 10% less magic than usual.

Third Act Sent Through to the Finals
Jeff Gutt: Journey’s “Open Arms” — Grade: B- | A little shouty for my tastes.

Eliminated
Restless Road

Not to pile on the country man band when they’re down, but America, you got it right. It was Restless Road’s time — no matter how hard Simon Cowell tried to convince us otherwise.

Most Unnerving Quote of the Night
“If someone thinks they’re gonna go out there and take something away from my son, they’ve got another thing coming.” Oh, no, Jeff Gutt — you did not even try to go there, did you? Newsflash: We don’t know what’s in the hearts — or bank accounts — of any of your fellow contestants. And just because you made the choice to bring a child into the world doesn’t make any of them less worthy of winning the record contract dangling in front of all y’all, mmmkay? Next week, cut the talk about how it’s all about your son; just make it about the music. In the end, that’s all the public is gonna pay for, anyhow.

Rant over.

Your turn! What did you think of X Factor Semifinal results? Did you dig Enrique Iglesias? Who’s your early pick to win it all? Sound off down in the comments! And for all my reality TV recaps, news, exclusives and videos, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. lp says:

I really dislike tvline reviews … so biased sometimes!

• LB says:

Instead of a review, it sounds like you would prefer a recap. There are plenty of sites that offer a straight up synopsis without any opinions from the author.

• Adam says:

This guy is serously against Jeff Gutt….

• Brendan says:

I agree. There are plenty of things that can be said about Alex and Sierra (her Taylor Swift like fake humbleness, how they all WAY too lovey dovey for a couple that has been together 4 years, how she stretches out words like British singers do even though she’s not British, how she is a much better singer and he’s only there to make her seem more interesting and give them a cute back story). Yea, but I would never say that…

• scooby says:

Jeff acted like anybody who doesn’t support him is taking from his kid and that’s grounds for him to get upset. That’s not only not true, it’s obnoxious. We’re under no obligation to support him for any other reason than his talent. He’s been milking his son for weeks and frankly that kid shouldn’t be used to earn his parent money. Carlito talked about paying his bills. Tate did last year. This isn’t a ‘who needs this the most as a charity case’ factor. I’m sick of contestants playing this card. We all have bills.

• Joe Strummer says:

I agree. Every time I heard him or his dad say that he was “doing this for his kid” I was thinking, no, you are doing this for yourself. If you wanted to do something for your kid you would get a real job and make a living instead of scraping by on a pipe dream that may never happen. When you have a kid you have responsibilities. Singing is probably the LAST thing I would do to support my child.

• Robert says:

Absolutely agree. Carlito being in the top 3 is embarrassing and I am so sick of him and the judges milking his background…it’s the only reason he’s there.

2. HTGR says:

Great to see Alex & Sierra and Jeff make it. Carlito has been quite the survivor, out of this four, I think he grew enough to deserve the spot.

3. HTGR says:

Jeff is really back with a vengeance. Awesome last night and man awesome tonight, he was the one he truly brought it tonight! (so hmmm how on Earth did he get the lowest grade tonight?!!?????)

• Leigh says:

Although he’s talented, almost everything he sings is from 3 decades ago (and sounds like it).

• HTGR says:

Yes and no. Tonight yeah from the 80s. But yesterday, while his first song was older, it didn’t really seem to become generally known and popular until a few years into the 2000s I don’t think and his second song was totally recent. Yeah he has done plenty of older stuff on other weeks, many of the others have to though, although perhaps he more than some. Maybe his rock style is older, just because it’s rock style. I don’t mind it myself. Does everything have to be hip-hop/R&B, country or pure pop? I like rock way more than hip-hop/grunge, which I think are what pushed rock (and even pop to some extent in the 90s) aside back when. I think it used to be mostly all pop/rock all over the billboard charts before it became all grunge/hip-hop/R&B and then pop/hip-hop/R&B. Maybe it’s time for some of that rock style today.

• Dan (Haleyloonie) says:

Talking about vengeance, did he seriously said that if anyone else won, he/they would have another thing coming? And taking away something from your son? I understand he is in a hard situation and that he wants what is best for his son, but could he express those feelings in other words or not at all.

• HTGR says:

I missed that part. I guess I was grabbing food or something. That does sounds a bit much if so (was it a background piece or in response to some question from Mario live on stage?) and not the right way to put it at all. I wonder how much the producers may have scripted/pushed him into it if so though? You just never know what to trust when it comes to statements and things they have the contestants do on these shows. At the end of the day I just try to ignore all the stories, statements, how they act or appear to act and whatnot.

• Dan (Haleyloonie) says:

It was a question by Mario, and I think there is a lot of producer influence on everything.

• HTGR says:

Are you sure Mario asked him that live on stage? I found a clip from tonight where he said that to the production staff in a pre-packaged bit and those tend to be heavily scripted at times, at the very least they tend to give you a LOT of leading questions and push and suggestions before/during filming those sorts of bits. Even if he did ask him that live on stage later in the show again it’s clear he was just parroting back something from an old package. It was a little bit much, but considering the scenario under which is occurred and everything else around it I think people are reading way too much into it. He was basically just trying to get across that he was determined and it means a lot to him I think.

• mike hollingworth says:

htgr……………..goaway

• MC says:

It was a weird way to phrase it, but Jeff did not sound hateful when he said it. Jeff is just determined to do his best this time because he thinks this is his last chance to really make it big. Michael is a huge A&S fan and is completely biased at this point. I watched the show and the comment simply seemed to indicate Jeff’s determination to win. He definitely was not threatening anyone imo. A&S are probably going to win, but I think Jeff is just saying that he is not going to concede anything to anyone. That is the way he should have phrased it.

• Matt says:

Have always been a huge Alex and Sierra fan but I would not mind seeing Jeff win. His performance was easily the stand out last night and speaking personally I would love to buy a new CD of eighties power ballads so sign him up Simon.

4. MAB says:

Just happy Alex and Sierra and Jeff Gutt are in the finals. They have been my favorites all along.

5. Car says:

“If sometone thnks”

6. Maddie Mae says:

Really want Alex & Sierra to win…. But if they don’t, then I want Jeff to win..

7. Kelly says:

I didn’t buy Restless Road the entire season. Carlito would have had way better performances if Paulina laid off the dancing and staging during his performances. However Jeff Gutt was amazing last night and so were Alex and Sierra. I really love how much they connect to each other (obv they will because they are a couple) they are amazing on stage. I would be happy with whoever wins. I still think Josh Levi was supposed to be in this final 3. Although Ellona voice was awesome, she left early because Demi had her dressing like a prostitute in all her performances. A real finale would have been Josh Levi, Alex and Sierra, and Jeff Gutt.

8. Kimbo says:

It’s about damn time Restless Road got the boot. Too damn late though. Nonetheless, we already know Simon will just sign them to his label and force them on us just as much as he’s forcing E3 and 5th Harmony on us. If there’s a season 4 I deeply, DEEPLY pray that Simon is slapped with the worse set of over 25s in Xfactor (internationally) history. Then we’ll see how much about the music he truly is.

• MC says:

Fifth Harmony is actually a pretty darned good pop group. Pull up “Miss Movin On” on YouTube and then pretend you didn’t enjoy it. It’s a great pop song and 5H perform it very well.

• Kimbo says:

I’m actually well aware of the song and I don’t really care for it. Don’t hate it, just don’t care for it. I never said they weren’t good. I’m just saying they could be complete and utter crap and Simon would still spend millions to force them into the public eye of music just because they have the look.

• MC says:

I think you’re describing the music industry in general. A&S have skills, but they are also cute as buttons. They look good together and they have a clean-cut wholesomeness that really appeals to people. Sierra look great in plenty of outfits. There is a definite visual appeal to them. Beyonce, Rihanna, Britney and Katy Perry, among others, all benefit from their attractiveness. They all have “the look.” Knowing all that, why single out 5H (or anyone else) for having the eye candy factor when the music industry absolutely thrives on that?

• HTGR says:

Yeah they aren’t bad (although when they appeared on XF this season they were a little rough, I caught them on some talk show a little bit a week or two before and they did way better live on that, perhaps because there was not so much going around them on the talk show). They had that really catchy one near the end of the last season, Goulding’s Anything COuld Happen and have some catchy stuff of their own out now. Speaking of which, I wish Simon hadn’t treated Sweet Suspense like a distant third wheel and had pushed them instead of Restless Road. 5th Harmony were lucky to survive the super tricky first couple weeks girl groups face on these shows last season with Simon also way pushing the boys that season too with his E3 and they are way bigger than the Beatles and all that. He was wrong that time too. 5th rose above them in votes as the season went on and, I believe, are selling better now.
        Even Alex & Sierra he didn’t seem to push half as much as Restless Road until just very recently. I think he just keeps seeing On$$e D$$irec$$ti$$on and gets blinded to whatever else he may have before him. Alex & Sierra seemed way better to me from the start.

• Kimbo says:

I sincerely wish that he had pushed Sweet Suspense more than Restless Road. But he literally saw no value in them considering he had 5th H. He saw value in RR because of the country aspect….what a damn shame though. Sweet Suspense reminded me of Little Mix when they did stripped down performances and just sang. They blend amazingly and know how to blend amazingly. Rather that fixate on giving them a pop presence Simon ought to have established them in a much more musical route. It was a shame to see them go considering their 4 chair challenge performance and their performance of “That Should Be Me” were my favorite performances all season.

• mike hollingworth says:

hey htgr…get a life….just offer one succinct comment and move then do something else…anything!

• Alex says:

I think Restless Road sucked, but no one is forcing this group on you. Don’t like RR? Don’t listen to their music when they get signed to a label (as they clearly will be). It’s a very simple concept!

9. Rex Master says:

Restless Road: Nah Nah Nah, Nah Nah Nah, Hey Hey Hey Goodbye.

10. Kaba says:

Finally this season is over. I haven’t enjoyed Xfactor since season 1. I hope season 4 (if there is one) takes it back to being about the music. This entire “produce a popstar” mandate is tiresome and just an eyesore to watch (in terms of staging). Hence why A&S are so refreshing because they don’t need 100,000 things to make them spectacular. As for season 4…I need them to swiftly give Demi the boot because she’s just about as stupid a judge as Paulina…except Paulina can get someone to the finale whereas Demi seems to not know how to do that. Please please PLEASE keep Kelly on that panel. She’s the epitome of a great judge for these shows. Knows when to criticize, knows how to explain problems, etc.
    We can get rid of Simon too…every other word out of his snarky mouth is just corporate bs.

• Jeremy says:

Actually, I found Demi the most truthful of them all. She just hasn’t found a way to address the problems in an appropriate way. Besides, am I the only one who think Simon is really really rude and impolite to Demi? I feel like they’re going to kill each other someday, and it’s not a joke.

• Mark says:

I watched every episode last year, but only about half of them this season. What has become abundantly clear is that Demi is a terrible mentor. She makes bad decisions when evaluating talent, awful song choices, and ridiculous staging and styling choices. She is entertaining on the live shows, but she sometimes borders on obnoxious. That’s probably due to Simon’s encouragement. What she does with her contestants is criminal. But really, what can you expect from a 21 year old?

• Kimbo says:

It’s funny, you’d think someone in her position would be great at producing wonderful acts considering she’s fairly relevant now. It’s funny, we’ve got psycho paupau doing a better job mentoring her acts (Josh was regularly outstanding and amazingly Carlito has improved) and Kelly just does a good job. Simon can go jump of a cliff. He’s a horrible mentor and I’m going to be so annoyed with A&S win. Not that they don’t deserve it, but because he’s going to brag about that for days on end.

• Sum Ting Wong says:

The coke also damage Demi’s brain, she looks like a bag lady. Blue tint hair and it makes her looks like a hobo. Get rid of Paulina and Demi. Must keep Kelly, she always looks so amazing.

• Megyn says:

We need Gary Barlow as judge on the X Factor. For those of you who don’t know, Gary is a judge on the UK version. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJxqqTHmysA

• DJ says:

I couldn’t agree more about the “superstar” comment! It’s as if they are so desperate to find one, they’ll convince us that anybody fits the bill, expecting that we’re stupid enough to believe them. This season’s ratings suggest that the ruse is up! And frankly, besides the four-chair challenge, this season was really boring. IF there’s a fourth season, let’s hope they return to the music and let the rest take care of itself. (Why do you think “The Voice” is beating y’all twofold in viewers???)

11. Thea says:

Best possible outcome, considering what we were left with after all of tween America’s power voting. So happy RR got the boot. Carlito’s not the best vocally, but I definitely prefer him to them. Despite how unlikely it is, I really hope Jeff wins. Simon will scoop up Alex & Sierra the moment the show’s off the air, win or lose. The same can’t be said for Jeff. Yes the, “doing it for my son” shtick got old weeks ago, but I’m still pulling for him.

12. Mary says:

America got it right. A&S for the win. Jeff is really getting on my nerves. He does realize that winning does not mean instant fame and money. At this stage I hope he does not win. wanna be rock star.

• Thea says:

Maybe not fame, but I’m pretty sure there’s an instant cash prize for the winner besides the recording contract.

• Grumpy Ol' Lady says:

Going by what the British version of X Factor is, no–there’s not really an instant cash prize. The winner might be able to draw on some funds, but they do have to pay it back out of whatever’s left in the contract after the production of albums, etc., is covered.

13. connerc says:

I hope Simon does not sign Restless Road. The idea of Restless Road was far better than the execution. Colton is the only real singer of the three. At only 18, his voice will get better, too. He needs to drop the two losers, and go it alone. Hopefully, he writes music since that’s somewhat essential for country artists.

14. Kevin says:

Totally agree with your comments about Gutt. He also tries to bring in his brother who is retired military and uses him in full service dress every show as a prop to get votes. I’m retired military and that is ridiculous. Either the guy has confidence in his singing voice or he doesn’t. Enough with the stunts Gutt and Rowland.

• HTGR says:

Yeah, I don’t really like how they do that, but behind the scenes the shows really push them all to do that stuff in many cases. It does seem to work to some degree. Look at Tate with his back story (it really wasn’t even that much of one but they sure built into something major). Carly was one of the few without anything for them to push for a story and she got handily beaten by a contestant, who on pure vocals, seemed to be middle of that pack, which didn’t really seem fair.
      Anyway I just try to tune all that back story out as best I can when it comes to who I support or not. I did thing he rocked it last night and tonight.

• scooby says:

Jeff could say no to it. He’s going along with what they want and seems to think it’s a good idea. I don’t get the impression they have to twist his arm about the kid or brother. If he sings “God Bless the USA” by Lee Greenwood in the finale while they cut to shots of his brother, I’m gonna slip into a diabetic coma. While I’m thinking about it, if they’re taking song suggestions for Jeff, how about the accoustic version of “No Surrender” by Bruce Springsteen and “Livin’ on a Prayer” by Bon Jovi.

• mike hollingworth says:

15. DavidSask says:

The right act went home and the viewers poll is correct as how show will turn out!

16. Jim Welker says:

Too bad it took so long for RR to go! Ellona was my pick to win it all from her first audition (“WINGS”)! She finished 6th place, the worst I ever did as I pick one very early on and the worst I ever did was 3rd place….An end to a remarkable streak, dating back to original Star Search! Had RR and Carlito left weeks ago, when they should have, Ellona would still be ENTERTAINING us! I AM HAPPY RR FINALLY GOT THE BOOT! I cannot believe Carlito is in the finals….gotta be worst top 3 finisher in ANY TALENT SHOW……EVER! RR ISN’T GOOD ENOUGH TO PERFORM IN A CAFE…..THEY WERE AWFUL WEEK AFTER WEEK!

17. Jim Welker says:

To be honest, I don’t like any of the 3 left! A&S are weak singers, Carlito has an average voice and Jeff Gutt’s voice is ok, but he looks like a big goofball, trying to get votes because he’s broke with a young son….WHAT A GOOFY LOOKING CAT….LOL!

18. Jim Welker says:

HOPE CARLITO WINS IT ALL SO THE X FACTOR CAN BE EXPOSED FOR THE FARCE THAT IT IS! ‘NUFF SAID!

19. Jim Welker says:

I think Jeff Gutt’s real last name is GOOF….JEFF GOOF!

20. Jim Welker says:

Velveeta IS CHEESE!

21. Jim Welker says:

Enrique was average! Like Buble before him…how do these people sell millions of albums???? It’s who you know I guess!???????????????

22. Clement says:

Looks like there’s a troll in the comment’s section.

Anyway, I’m glad RR is finally gone. Alex and Sierra can win it all now.

23. Jim Welker says:

A&S has 2 very faint weak singers, especially Sierra! I never have got the attraction!

• Mary says:

I think that has been pretty obvious in every post on the recaps. Good thing your vote doesn’t matter much because many others like their singing. Many people believe less is more. Sorry your life is empty that you find the need to watch something that is obviously not your cup of tea and many derogatory remarks toward contestants that are not your favorite. Being the holiday season, take the time and maybe volunteer your services.

24. Britt says:

Ummm what’s the 4th reality singing show? Voice, Idol, Factor, and…

I figured the last 2 would be Jeff and Restless Road. Between the 2, RR really needed to go. I still think A&S will win unless Jeff suceeds in pimpin out his son and brother. Plus he always looks like he’s going to do a backbend like Neo in The Matrix. His posture irritates me a lot.

• scooby says:

I assume he means The Sing Off. It beat X Factor this week, not that it makes them a hit either. Idol and The Voice are the big gorillas here. Funny since X Factor UK killed Pop Idol and I think Simon expected to do in AI here.

• cody says:

i think the ” sing off” ?

25. meah says:

Yeah jeff and alex/sierra still remain.can’t concentrate after finding our Beyonce released a new album.bye!

26. Adrian says:

I don’t agree with Michael all the time but this is a cool recap plus review! However I really thought the right act went home tonight. I still think Alex and Sierra deserve to win because they bring something new every week, and they make all the songs their own. I love their originality. They are magical on stage and that is the X that I personally am looking for.

There is one consistent problem I have with X Factor is their nonstop sob stories and as of this point, we know the backgrounds of each artists very well. I don’t need to hear another story about Sierra and her Vietnamese mother, or another story about Carlito and his struggles in Chicago, or another story about Jeff and his brother in the military or his son. As of this point, Americans should only vote on the voice they like the most. Talents only matter now, and the key question is “will you buy this contestant’s future album?” Please no more sob stories next week and let just go straight to the performances. I can deal with the struggles with song choices, but no more life stories. Next week will be about song choices and can you make that connection with the TV audience?

27. J Senny says:

I actually liked Restless Road and was sorry to see them go. Their first song last night killed them. I think that Restless Road has a career in the Country market but just need more time to develop. They were amazing last week with “Wake Me Up.” I thought that they have considerably more potential to sell records than Carlito does. It is not that he is bad, but how is he different than a ton of Latino singers already out there? Can you say Tate Stevens? The most original performers and most marketable appear to to Alex and Sierra.

• bernieb says:

I’m sort of with you. Of the four left, the only ones I could see selling records were Alex & Sierra and Restless Road. But, unfortunately, Restless Road weren’t strong enough in this competition. They might prove better with some work.

28. Kiki says:

I’m tired, too, of constantly hearing that we should vote for people based on their financial need. No! This is a show about talent, supposedly.

I’m glad Carlito made it because he’s worked hard, and I think he can sell a record. I think RR will also have a shot at selling and will probably tour with a big country name as an opening act. I thought Andrew and the big tall guy should have had more input singing AND talking.The guy in the middle dominated too much.

I actually think Alex is a better singer than Sierra, but it’s been cool seeing her improve so much and gaining that confidence.

Jeff Gutt is a good singer and would make a great front man of a band–but where is that band? Daughtry was able to pull one together, so maybe Jeff can, too. But then I think about his little kid and wonder what will happen to him while Daddy’s out touring. Hey, HE brought up the kid so much. You can’t blame me for wondering.

Judges:

Kelly: simply amazing. Looks fabulous, always, is funny, has heart, and a good head on her shoulders. She’d bring up issues in their performances in such a way that you understood she wasn’t quite happy. But she had more finesse than Demi.

Demi: Bad manners are now acceptable, I guess, and it’s a real shame to see her indulge in camera hogging when Kelly or “PowPow” are talking. What’s it called? Photobombing–but on video? It looks desperate and isn’t funny. As a judge, she can’t seem to see that she goes way over-the-top with some of her acts, like Ellona. The ridiculous dancing ruins all the singing. It’s too much. Tacky, tacky, tacky. She is so gorgeous. But that blue hair looks absolutely wretched.

Paulina–As someone who hangs out with people who are non-native speakers, I sympathize with Paulina, who is trying her best to speak another language. It’s Simon’s fault that he’s selected her to be a judge when he knew her language limitations. I commend her for being so brave! Speaking another language on national TV can’t be easy. I wish Michael would let up on her, or at least find her “PowPow-isms” cute or endearing or something. It’s not her fault. And look how far she’s gotten Carlito.

Simon–It’s pathetic how he doesn’t appear to be there when his contestants find out their songs from America, etc. He’s lost a lot of credibility with me–his anxiety to make a big star has made him lose his sense of balance with critiquing.

And finally, Mario, who comes across as very phony, needs some help with his constant staged hand gesturing. He ought to watch some tapes of Ryan Seacrest and Carson Daly. I actually think Mario has a lot of potential–he’s warm and friendly. He’s not dumb. But he needs some coaching.

• MC says:

I totally agree with your comments regarding Kelly and Paulina. I live in a bilingual neighborhood. I also interact with non-native speakers on a daily basis and that’s why I understand Paulina (although she is probably a little eccentric).

29. Scott says:

Announcing Carlito first really took the suspense out of the show. It was obviously between him and RR for the third slot, but I agree that giving each safe artist a performance slot was a great idea.

• MAB says:

Not totally true. I figured it could be Jeff gone. RR had a lot of the Tweens voting for them and many, many good singers went before them. I figured A&S would go through because they are truly awesome.

30. EB says:

I gave up on this season the moment Jeff Gutt made it past the audition rounds.

31. Juju says:

Get a hold of yourself, you’re really not that great of a reviewer. The show obviously wants to make Jeff talk about his son, when he talked about his brother everyone attacked him. Regardless, he deserves to win and worked the hardest. Just like last year, carlito made it and fifth harmony when obviously restless road and emblem 3 should have, it’s just TV (and that’s why both made it first to keep the excitement going).
    I like alex and Sierran and it’s obvious viewers do, if any duet should win the whole thing, it won’t be better than them. But, They 1000000% have a back up. Simon is already writing up a backup contract for them, he’ll love it if they don’t win. But, Jeff really needs this! I’m not in the US, but I hope at least Jeff is in the top two next week!!!

• Mary says:

Why do you think Jeff needs it more than the other ones? At this stage it should be about the music not that back story. Sorry, if Jeff was so concern about his son, maybe he should put him first and get a job to support him and not bank on a TV show to make him a star. As a parent I put the needs of my child ahead of myself. It is called prioritize and supporting your child should be NUMBER 1.

32. M. Velázquez Gaud says:

Carlito Olivera does not have the strongest voice and he needs to improve his Spanish pronunciation.

33. JesPav says:

Jeff has a very professional voice. His iTunes songs already seem like they are on the radio. Unfortunately I was turned off by his threatening “if someone gets in the way of my son…” I agreed with Michael, it’s shocking that he even went there. The kid is adorable, but to imply that he will bump off Alex, Sierra or Carlito cause they’re taking anything away! Bigtime turn off.

On the other hand, Sierra, I recognized her special voice from that 1st amazing audition. She really has a jazz/folk voice, great combo with Alex’s indie rock voice. They seem fresh and light, not a staid, fake relationship. I like the way they work seriously but dont seem to take the formulaic competition too seriously or take themselves too seriously. Lighten up Jeff. I’ve been trying to really like you. I’ve bought 4 of their songs on iTunes.

34. Dakota says:

Jeff’s constant mentioning his ‘son’ and the fake $1 claim to his name is getting so off putting. We get it. But ENOUGH with the sob story. What about Alex & Sierra’s future children? You didn’t hear Rion belaboring her situation – well I did get tired of the LORD.

Maybe Simon has lost some mojo and America didn’t want to reward him. He’s going to sign RR anyway and try to make the a country boy band. (Maybe replace 1 or 2 of them). Its amazing considering how low the XF ratings are that A&S hit #1 on iTunes and still have 2 songs in the top 10 iTunes chart. (Why no love for Amazon or Google Play, both of which always have lower prices)..Even Jeff Gutt is at #10 (do you know he has a son?)

Carlito seems like a nice kid but theres nothing unique about him. He’s cute, he can move, he can understand Paulina but he’s no star. But maybe Paulina can help him get a Latin record deal. (Btw Rion should go the Christian route – she’s perfect for it & her disability will be a plus).

And lets not get too excited about that record deal. Call Melanie Amaro and ask her how that went. By the way, I know Tate put some music out but was he dropped from his label Ive never seen or heard anything about him. I was thinking yesterday if he would be in the S3 finale or are they too embarrassed. Whenever Simon talks about the stars of the XF, its always the UK ones and many like 1D, Olly Murs, Cher Lloyd didn’t even win. With Christmas upon us and so many talk shows going on hiatus, the XF winner may not even get a timely media tour and they’ll probably have no new single except for some cover song – which is what they’ve been releasing weekly anyway. The Voice, this season, is giving the winner (Tessanne?) a new single written by Ryan Tedder.

• Lana says:

Dakota, you made me laugh and your comments were my favorite. “he’s cute, he can move, he can understand Paulina” and so on. “did you know he has a son?” and so forth. Thanks, I enjoyed your comments as much as I enjoyed Michael’s recaps.

• Grumpy Ol' Lady says:

Let us not forget that Carlito was in Menudo–one of the most famous boy/Latin bands of its times–and couldn’t make that work?
      Common already Simon–hard work, poor guy from Chicago? He’s lived in LA how long, has been in Starbucks and other commercials, and played bit parts in several sitcoms.
      He’s just not that good at the singing industry, or else he’d still be in a band like he was before.

35. Fabulous, what a website it is! This website gives useful data to us, keep it up.