Kurt Sutter to Follow Up Sons of Anarchy With Period Drama Pilot for FX

Get More: Pilots

Kurt Sutter Bastard ExecutionerSons of Anarchy‘s Season 6 finale not bloody enough for you? Well, executive producer Kurt Sutter‘s next project practically has death built into the title.

FX has greenlit a pilot for The Bastard Executioner, “the story of a warrior knight in King Edward III’s charge” from Sutter and Brian Grazer, according to our sister site Deadline.

RELATED | Sons of Anarchy Post Mortem: Maggie Siff, Katey Sagal, Kurt Sutter on Deadly Finale, Plus Scoop on Season 7 — ‘Jax Is Completely Untethered’

The titular character, having retired from fighting due to psychological burnout and turmoil, must pick his sword back up — and swing it on the necks of the damned – “when violence finds him again.”

PHOTOS | Golden Globe Nods 2014: The 30 Biggest Snubs!

“I love the network. I love the world. I love the blood,” Sutter, who will pen the Executioner pilot after Sons wraps its seventh and final season, told Deadline.

Emmy- and Oscar-winning producer Grazer (24, Arrested Development, A Beautiful Mind) cooked up the original idea for the series. “I find the executioner to be an incredibly fascinating and provocative character,” he said. “It’s about as morally complex a profession as you can imagine.”

Comments (12)

• Count me in

Comment by james – December 12, 2013 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m excited about this bc I didnt want them to try and drag on SOA for years and years just because it has good ratings. I’m excited it’ll finish up next year as planned and the new show sounds worth checking out, too!!

Comment by Beth – December 12, 2013 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • (Y) I feel the same

Comment by Teri Marble – February 9, 2014 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oo00 Yes please!

Comment by Mel Hoffmann – December 12, 2013 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have observed that of all varieties of insurance, medical insurance is
    the most questionable because of the struggle between the insurance plan company’s need to remain profitable and the client’s need to have insurance
    policies. Insurance companies’ revenue on well being plans are very low, thus some firms struggle to
    make money. Thanks for the suggestions you write about through this blog.

Comment by kristian Silverstein – December 12, 2013 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So who is his star? Is it a SoA character being killed off shortly as per the blind item?

Comment by Fudgefase – December 13, 2013 03:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After doing what he did on Tuesday, “Bastard Executioner” seems an apt title for his autobiography.

Comment by Michael Angelo – December 13, 2013 05:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What happened to that show he was going to do for them with Katey Segal attached to star, Killer Women Clown I think it was called or something like that anyway. Is that still going ahead?

Comment by Martin – December 13, 2013 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could Nero be the male lead star about to be offed? He’s big enough to carry a series.

Comment by Fudgefase – December 13, 2013 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I gave up on SOA 3 years ago. Since there wasn’t a cia in the middle ages I’ll give this new one a try.

Comment by chuckmourner – December 13, 2013 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m definitely in for this show

Comment by Jake – December 13, 2013 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You had me at Kurt Sutter, love his work!

Comment by Barbara Owens – December 15, 2013 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post