Grey’s Anatomy Recap: Altar Egos

SANDRA OH, ELLEN POMPEO, JESSICA CAPSHAW, SARAH DREW, NICOLE CUMMINS, JUSTIN BRUENINGIn Thursday’s Grey’s Anatomy, Meredith and Cristina finally start to do more than just snipe at one another. (Mind you, there’s still quite a lotta sniping.) But, before the once-and-possibly-future BFFs can make too much headway, April tells them to put a sock in it, because, in case they hadn’t heard, she’s getting married, so even more so than usual, it’s all about her, her, her. Well, her and also Matthew Jackson. But more on that later…

EVERY WHICH WAY BUT TRUCE | The hour starts with the estranged gal pals doing their best Bickersons impression. First, Mer “congratulates” Cristina on her arrogance and opportunism, hissing, “You’ve become the thing you worship.” To which Cristina fires back, “And you’ve become the thing we laughed at.” However, at April’s nuptials, Mer admits that she’s envious of Cristina, and Cristina, in turn, confesses that she’s having as hard a time going it alone as she imagines Mer is having balancing work and family. Naturally, it’s at about that point that April yells, “Oh, shut up!” and reminds them that it’s all about her. So, without further ado…

VIDEO | Sandra Oh to Shonda Rhimes: Don’t Kill Off Cristina

LIVE AND LET LEAVE | Before we get to April’s “I dos,” it bears mentioning that Alex at last — perhaps as much as he ever will? — makes peace with his father. Initially, they have a big fight, with Jimmy insisting that he did his best and Alex hollering that his “best is worthless” and that he had to be the man of the house. Later, though, acknowledging that he turned out all right, he kinda-sorta thanks Jimmy for leaving them. And Jo should for sure thank Jimmy — off this semi-closure, Alex starts talking about them being the only family they need, together forever and so forth. Somehow, this scene is played without April sensing their distraction from her special day or screeching at them about it.

SHARK ATTACK | One more thing before we get to April… Shane cracks up. Like, totally. Though Cristina warns him that he’s going to burn out, AND we learn that he’s been doctoring his hours so that he can work 24/7, AND he’s getting ever nervier and more aggressive, he doesn’t let up. He won’t even wait for an attending to perform emergency surgery on Jimmy, he does it himself and botches it. (“Call for help,” Leah instructs a nurse. “Who?” the nurse asks. “Anybody!” It’s THAT bad.) When Richard comes in and takes over, Sharky is in total meltdown mode, flashing back to Heather and snapping, “I’ve got her.” Somewhere, I’m fairly certain, April is thinking, “Do you have her, Shane? Do you really? Then bring her to my dang wedding already!”

VIDEO | Grey’s Anatomy‘s Sara Ramirez Sets Record Straight About Her Own Expiring Contract

VITAL STATS | Speaking of April’s wedding… it’s there that Mer thanks Derek for turning down so many opportunities so that she can focus on her research. And it’s there that Derek gets a phone call from the president — yes, THE president — asking him to consult on his brain-mapping initiative. And it’s there that Arizona cries, because she fears she’ll never again be enough for Callie. And it’s there that Stephanie HAS to regret getting as far as the “L” of “I love you” with Jackson, because it’s also there that Jackson takes Mark’s advice. (If you love someone, “say it loud and go from there.”) “I love you,” he interrupts the ceremony to inform the bride, “and I think you love me. Do you?” And that’s all she wrote for the fall finale.

Okay, your turn. What did you think of the episode? Were you surprised by Jackson’s “shocking” confession? (Even Matthew looked like he expected it.) Were you relieved to see Mer and Cristina having something resembling a civil conversation again? Now that Shane’s hit rock bottom, where does he go from here? Where should he? Hit the comments, but be nice! (Try, anyway — Santa’s watching!)

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Recaps

1. Garvin says:

I feel bad because, somewhere inside of me, I was hoping that Shane would jump off the hospital’s roof, and like, kill himself. Oh well, there’s hope for next year. Alex’s facial expression to Jackson’s declaration was priceless, and pretty much mirrored my own. Also, great job this episode, Justin. I really hope that Meredith and Cristina, and Arizona and Callie work it all out. April was funny as usual. That girl is a hot, hot mess, and I love her for it. So yeah, until next year, Grey’s Anatomy.

2. Will says:

Am I the only one who thought his episode was terrible?

This whole season has been lackluster at best. The only reason Grey’s isn’t ending properly this year (as I think it should) is because ABC is in such bad shape that they can’t afford to let this show end.

The ratings have been declining all season, and IMO it’s because the storylines have been terrible. Mer and Cristina having a fight okay, but to drag it out for the whole season thus far is absurd; they’ve been friends for 10 seasons and just now they get into something like this? I feel like its such a waste of Sandra Oh’s final year on the show. Many fans of tv series like to throw out empty threats but I definitely won’t be watching next season (i’ll finish this one to see how Cristina gets written out) – I’m done.

The series has become a sad shell of its former self.

3. A says:

No way I’m saying no to Jackson if I’m April.

4. Guest says:

If Ross killed Jimmy, it’ll bring out Karev’s dark passenger and then Grey’s can go in a whole new direction. :P

5. Abc says:

Personally I am only watching still for April and Jackson. I know that is lame but over the last year or so I have just lost interest in the other characters. I know April and her whole I’m saving myself, oh wait I’m not, was kind of annoying but besides that she isn’t that bad. Plus I like her scenes with Jackson. And well Jackson just look at his eyes and smile. I just hope she doesn’t go through with the marriage and then have some stupid affair.

• Keyrid says:

I know! Me too. I actually hated GA with all those hookups and soap opera stuff, but now I guess I’m getting old and my girly side is coming out :) April & Jackson are the foremost reason I get anxious to watch this tv show. Well said!

6. Jen says:

Thank god Grey finally admitted she was jealous of Cristina. It was so obvious.

7. Emmy says:

I don’t know why everyone is pissed at Jackson!He did what his heart told him to do…he FINALLY realized that he loves her and that she can’t marry someone else.You have to admit that the idea of him interrupting the ceremonies to make his confession was kind of clichéd,but the look on his eyes was just something out of this world,it was sooo tragic and absolutely beautiful (Jesse Williams completely nailed it!).I agree about Shane being annoying,and i don’t really care much about the Meredith and Christina feud,they both can be annoying sometimes.Derek receiving a phone call from the president is what pissed me off (really?The president?!!)…Alex and Jo are alright,i’m not really intrigued about their relationship.On the contrary,i felt it was somehow forced to make us believe that Alex has another shot when it comes to love.His relationship with his father is improving (they’re at leasttalking about what Jimmy did and how it effected Alex)…I thought the episode was good,i have a feeling that the show is starting to get back on track after its shaky season 10 start…..Sooooo happy about Japril <3

8. jane says:

next episode crossover of scandal and greys, fitz wants derek’s help, olivia’s mom gets her face reconstructed by jackson. btw greys kind hit rock bottom this season. should we keep watching?

9. jane says:

btw iknow y’all are happy jackson and april, but dear poor stephanie. so embarrassing, so heartbreaking. its kind of a thing girl never recovers from.

10. saltwatergirl says:

I think everyone should try and see where Jackson is coming from. He confessed his love to April once and proposed and she basically laughed in his face, so you can’t really blame the guy for playing it safe, noting that he did indeed have bad timing on both occasions either way he just couldn’t hold it in anymore and I think both Matthew and Stephanie knew the were their second choices. Arizona is like a broken record and can just get over herself already. Its also worth noting that just like Alex, Jackson also had an absent Father and emotionally that could scar someone for life, yeah he didn’t have the crappy childhood Alex had to endure so maybe that’s why he’s a bit insecure and afraid of rejection.

11. ninina8 says:

I think this was the best episode of the season! I loved Jackson and his words, it was the most romantic declaration of love I have ever heard in GA! Finally, Jackson understood he can’t lose April because she is his real love! He loves her so deeply, even her defects! Only Stephanie and Matthew were so blind not to see this! April, please, say aloud : “yes, I do!”

12. Paddifields says:

Jackson: that was a weak and unconvincing declaration of undying love. I think April will tell him “Thanks but NO thanks. I am marrying Matthew. Which will leave Jackson high and dry as regards of Stephanie. Did Webber save the day and save Karev’s dads ass?

13. kelly says:

April needs to remember that Mere, Cris and Arizona aren’t really her BFFs, which is who you would want as bridesmaids. They got shanghaied into it when she decided to dump her sisters.

Of course, her sister’s wouldn’t have been much better at making April feel special.

It’s kind of sad to think that she doesn’t have any close girlfriends that she can rely on. I’m sure that Mere and Cris would call her a friend but their friendship isn’t anything like what they had with Izzy.

14. Lisa says:

I guess I’m on my own here, but I cannot stand April. Jackson and April more than just sex, really?? They don’t match at all. She is perfect for her equally geeky boyfriend. This show will never be as good as it was in the early days anyway. They should kill it off now.

15. grace says:

Why do people hate Jackson for what he did? It’s not real life lol these are fictional characters. If people are concerned about the show and ratings then you guys should be in Jackson’s favor. Jesse’s acting is great when he’s paired with Sarah. Jackson and Stephanie as a couple is the most boring thing I’ve ever seen. No one can honestly say there is any chemistry between these two. All the interns suck but they’re trying really hard to build Stephanie’s character so she can become a main character. So for everyone who feels bad for Stephanie, don’t! This is great for her character to branch out and have her own solo story line. The writers never intended for Jackson and Stephanie to be a serious couple. Matthew is not a season regular so you guys should’ve seen his exit coming a mile away. Don’t know why anyone invested in him and April. Not a japril fan either. I still watch the show because of Cristina Alex Meredith Bailey and Webber. But I do agree that it is nice to watch April and Jackson’s story line together. Which that’s where the writers will go because majority of the young audience watch for Jackson and April. Which, this is where they will focus the show around when the original cast decides to all leave. If the show last that long and Sarah and Jesse sign on for more seasons. I like callie and Arizona but could care less about whether they stay together or not. I like the new friendship between April and Arizona, good acting between those two. My favorite scenes are with alex, mer, and Cristina. Their acting makes me believe they are truly each others family. As long as there is great acting between the characters I don’t care what happens. It’s all about the pairing on this show.

16. Donutgirl331 says:

I think Jackson is gonna end up marrying April. I hate alex.

17. Lilly says:

Okay I had to look at the Different World video…anyone notice that the bridesmaid’s dress color is the same color that the Grey’s women have on??

18. Cindy says:

I love it when my tv show goes in the direction I want it to go. It does not shock me if Jackson and April stay together or not. What shocks me is a regular cast member dies, strange medical situation I never seen before, plane crash, maniac shooting everyone or bomb explosions. The romance stuff is just the fluff. What happens surrounding the fluff is what makes Greys so good. I hated Christina and Owen as a couple. I dislike Christina and it will not affect me one way or the other when she is gone. I just think a person has to put this show into perspective, stop being so critical about how they were not shocked by two people getting together. What would be shocking is if Matthew reaches over and stabs April after Jackson made his move, or a bus out of control burst into the place April is getting married running over a bunch of people. Bet you would not have seen that coming.

19. Lex says:

First off I have to say that this has been the most agonizing season for me to watch. I waited and waited for Jackson to come to his senses and just tell April how he truly felt. I feel like Stephanie was just a place holder for Jackson. He never had as much chemistry with her as he had with April. I thought it was hilarious when April and Jackson bumped into each other at the hospital. Even on her wedding day he is telling her that her hair looks terrible. I love that they can always tell each other how it really is. When Jackson talked about Mark in the operating room I was sure that he finally realized that he belonged with April, but he didn’t. Throughout the entire episode I was waiting for either April to run away or Jackson to confront April, but then when I saw then at the wedding I gave up. I came to except that they wouldn’t be together. When Jackson first stood up I was speechless and when he sat down I started screaming at the tv. I just kept thinking he has to stop this wedding! His speech was so sweet and I couldn’t believe what was happening. Then the camera turned to her and turned off… I thought I would lose it waiting until February to see how this scene ended. I was so happy that Jackson stood up, but then I started to think about what I would do if I was April. How do you make a decision in front of everyone you know? You can’t really think about it that long because then your fiance might leave you. The more I thought about it the more embarrassed I got for everyone involved. On a side note I really hated Derek in this episode. I mean who doesn’t put their cell phone on silent during a wedding or even vibrate? I don’t care who you are, you don’t leave to take a call in the middle of the ceremony! It was just down right disrespectful! I am finding his character to be insufferable to watch. McDreamy was my first crush growing up, but I now just wait until the day after the episodes to air so that I can skip over Meredith/Derek scenes entirely.