Grey’s Anatomy Recap: Altar Egos

SANDRA OH, ELLEN POMPEO, JESSICA CAPSHAW, SARAH DREW, NICOLE CUMMINS, JUSTIN BRUENINGIn Thursday’s Grey’s Anatomy, Meredith and Cristina finally start to do more than just snipe at one another. (Mind you, there’s still quite a lotta sniping.) But, before the once-and-possibly-future BFFs can make too much headway, April tells them to put a sock in it, because, in case they hadn’t heard, she’s getting married, so even more so than usual, it’s all about her, her, her. Well, her and also Matthew Jackson. But more on that later…

EVERY WHICH WAY BUT TRUCE | The hour starts with the estranged gal pals doing their best Bickersons impression. First, Mer “congratulates” Cristina on her arrogance and opportunism, hissing, “You’ve become the thing you worship.” To which Cristina fires back, “And you’ve become the thing we laughed at.” However, at April’s nuptials, Mer admits that she’s envious of Cristina, and Cristina, in turn, confesses that she’s having as hard a time going it alone as she imagines Mer is having balancing work and family. Naturally, it’s at about that point that April yells, “Oh, shut up!” and reminds them that it’s all about her. So, without further ado…

VIDEO | Sandra Oh to Shonda Rhimes: Don’t Kill Off Cristina

LIVE AND LET LEAVE | Before we get to April’s “I dos,” it bears mentioning that Alex at last — perhaps as much as he ever will? — makes peace with his father. Initially, they have a big fight, with Jimmy insisting that he did his best and Alex hollering that his “best is worthless” and that he had to be the man of the house. Later, though, acknowledging that he turned out all right, he kinda-sorta thanks Jimmy for leaving them. And Jo should for sure thank Jimmy — off this semi-closure, Alex starts talking about them being the only family they need, together forever and so forth. Somehow, this scene is played without April sensing their distraction from her special day or screeching at them about it.

SHARK ATTACK | One more thing before we get to April… Shane cracks up. Like, totally. Though Cristina warns him that he’s going to burn out, AND we learn that he’s been doctoring his hours so that he can work 24/7, AND he’s getting ever nervier and more aggressive, he doesn’t let up. He won’t even wait for an attending to perform emergency surgery on Jimmy, he does it himself and botches it. (“Call for help,” Leah instructs a nurse. “Who?” the nurse asks. “Anybody!” It’s THAT bad.) When Richard comes in and takes over, Sharky is in total meltdown mode, flashing back to Heather and snapping, “I’ve got her.” Somewhere, I’m fairly certain, April is thinking, “Do you have her, Shane? Do you really? Then bring her to my dang wedding already!”

VIDEO | Grey’s Anatomy‘s Sara Ramirez Sets Record Straight About Her Own Expiring Contract

VITAL STATS | Speaking of April’s wedding… it’s there that Mer thanks Derek for turning down so many opportunities so that she can focus on her research. And it’s there that Derek gets a phone call from the president — yes, THE president — asking him to consult on his brain-mapping initiative. And it’s there that Arizona cries, because she fears she’ll never again be enough for Callie. And it’s there that Stephanie HAS to regret getting as far as the “L” of “I love you” with Jackson, because it’s also there that Jackson takes Mark’s advice. (If you love someone, “say it loud and go from there.”) “I love you,” he interrupts the ceremony to inform the bride, “and I think you love me. Do you?” And that’s all she wrote for the fall finale.

Okay, your turn. What did you think of the episode? Were you surprised by Jackson’s “shocking” confession? (Even Matthew looked like he expected it.) Were you relieved to see Mer and Cristina having something resembling a civil conversation again? Now that Shane’s hit rock bottom, where does he go from here? Where should he? Hit the comments, but be nice! (Try, anyway — Santa’s watching!)

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Recaps

1. Lynn says:

Sorry Jackson, but Dwayne Wayne did it better. And Justin Chambers knocked this episode out of the park. Hopefully Cristina and Meredith and Arizona and Callie will work things out soon.

• SororSalsa says:

I’m glad to know I’m not the only person that remembers Dwayne Wayne’s desperate “Baby please!!!!” That was classic.

• LaLa says:

I totally called the”A Different World” episode like at least 3 weeks ago. And, yes, there will never be a better version.

• LJ says:

I had the exact same reaction Lynn! I immediately thought of Dwayne Wayne hijacking Whitley’s wedding! I am so glad to know I wasn’t the only one :)

• shaka bradley says:

The Dwayne Wane is still the most classic wedding disruption ever. This jackson thing had no feeling what so ever. D.Wane said it with his soul.

• bigdede says:

You guys are my people!! My first thought was Jackson should have watched the Different World Episode first before he decided to stop the wedding. Dwayne screaming Please baby Please and Whitley turning around and telling Olivia’s Daddy I’m sorry Byron and running to Dwayne is the best. The one thing though is these interns are so boring, I didn’t give a care that Jackson basically just embarrassed his girlfriend and dumped her in front of all her coworkers. I also don’t care about Shane. I just hope Alex whoops his behind.

• twilight123 says:

Just wanted to add to the chorus of : A DIFFERENT WORLD FOR-E-VER!!

• sajomab says:

And the man Whitley left for Dwayne at the altar was Eli Pope from Scandal…

• kelly says:

Yes, yes, yes. I loved watching Dwayne Wayne begging Whitley to choose him as Byron’s groomsmen pushed him toward the door.

• kelly says:

The video on youtube is ever so slightly out of sync with the audio but it’s still great to watch. The best part is the studio audience’s reaction.

2. Lea says:

GO JACKSON !! :)

• RockGolf (@rock_golf) says:

Really?
      The owner of the company you work for, and that you had a brief fling with interrupts your wedding to tell you he want you to not marry?
      So your choice is to leave your fiance at the alter or risk unemployment?
      Really?

3. Stacie says:

If anyone was “Shocked” at this episode and the way it ended then you haven’t been watching all season long. Anyone could have seen this coming. I think if the show ended with Shane feeling so guilty that he kills himself or jumps off the building or takes pills, Now that would have been interesting. Because he is an unlikeable kinda character, and that’s a storyline no one would have seen coming. There’s not one storyline I didn’t see coming. Arizona and Callie were moving way too quick back together, I knew it wouldn’t last and the thaw of the Cristina and Merideth storyline was bound to happen. Nothing shocked me, and for a finale episode, with all the cast and producer hype, and a show that’s gonna be off the air until end of February it was as disappointing an episode can get.

• Olivia says:

What she said!

• Les says:

I was hoping Shane would slash his throat with a scalpel when Webber saved his ass in the OR. That would have “shocked” me in a good way…;-)

• bigdede says:

I also agree. Nothing was shocking. I knew Jackson would stop the wedding I just thought he would get to April while she was still getting dressed. Otherwise I was not shocked except that Meredith actually admitted that she was jealous of Cristina. Shane is too unlikable.

• For me i was expecting all the shocks to happen but it was the way they happened that were just brilliant, honestly after Jackson faked out the I love you I didnt think he would actually do it! Cant wait to see the resolution from this wedding, even though Alex really did not like his father he will not be happy

4. mk says:

I am so glad Jackson stood up! When he hesitated I yelled at my TV for him to stand! gahhh now we just have to wait until Feb :(

• donnalynn says:

i totaly agree with you. i was laying down and when i saw him tell Stephanie that hes sorry i new he was going to stand up! but i also didnt think he was going to stand up and hesistate than sit back down and than stand up! lol. he mad my heart melt when he told april he loves her. so romantic. dont get me wrong that guy she’s is with is a nice guy and he doesnt deserve it but it sapril and jackson that belong together. noone ever said love was going to be easy! cant wait till feb…… #teamjackson

5. Erika says:

Am i the only one who thinks that they swapped 3d prints? I know one is a conduit and one is a portal vein… But it might explain why christina doesnt understand how it worked and why mer’s was too small/delicate…

• Tony says:

Swapping of the prints would be brillent! Would be a way to bring the two back in sync and give them a way to work on something together. Shane could have deffintly botched it up.

I just hope that Cristina leaves on a good note. I could see her going to work with Teddy on that heart growing project.

• Jen says:

I would hope that both Meredith and Cristina would be smart enough to notice a difference in the prints. Doesn’t mean the writers wouldn’t go there, but it would seem pretty unrealistic for both of them.

• Soopah Soopah Soopah says:

Yea, but didn’t Christina say it was smaller than she had expected? Ross probably took care of most of the printing.

• Lucy says:

I thought during the surgery Christina said it was too big? Definitely an interesting storyline… far more creative than what we’ve seen so far!

• Les says:

That would be awesome! I would hope the writers could give us something that good this season, but I’m not holding my breath…

• RUCookie says:

I really thought that Shane did that… been in my head since they said “too small and delicate”. Shane is a mess. This will be worse than when Mer was suspended or April failed her boards. He should be, flat out, fired.

6. Linds says:

Anyone else wish that the White House secretary had said “Please hold for President Grant”? That would’ve been awesome :)

• Michael says:

I smell a crossover!

• abz says:

lol I never even thought about the Scandal connection. I was too preoccupied with how lame and predictable that ending was to even consider it. In any case Fitz is too preoccupied with his love affair to run the country let alone think about a brain mapping project :P

7. Sara says:

Leave Shane! Please just leave!!! So glad that Arizona finally let it all out! Yay Alex!

8. Linds says:

and that eye roll from Alex after Jackson interrupted was priceless

9. Tony says:

Moment Jackson mentioned Mark you knew he was ganna do it. Mark’s greatest work is Jackson. Sure yes he has a baby with Cali but he made Jackson into a man.

Also. I can totaly see Alex and Jo getting married Insted of April and I’m totaly ok with that.

• Sara says:

I would really hope that if/when Alex and Jo (or anyone Alex would want to marry) get married, that it would have a proper proposal/build-up to the wedding instead of hijacking someone else’s wedding. Been there, done that, and Alex deserves his own drawn out wedding story.

• the girl says:

That would officially be the second time Alex has gotten married at someone else’s wedding.

• Cory says:

They went that route with the Alex and Izzie/Derek and Meredith wedding, they won’t do it twice with the same character. Besides, I don’t think he’s ready for a wedding yet

10. Dee says:

Thank you Jackson….finally!! And Justin Chambers was incredible! February?? Seriously? Darn you finales!

11. Jen says:

All I have to say is oh no he didn’t just do that. That somes up so many characters storylines tonight

12. KNR says:

Loved Jackson at the end! You could see the struggle,and although it was predictable, I was so excited!

13. Monica4185 says:

That’s all that happened? And people call that shocking? For real? I think some people need to look up the definition of shocking in the dictionary.

• D says:

agree.. I am watching Scandal now… there you always have shocking ….

• Babygate says:

All the hype is a ruse to get fans filed up. Problem is that they have over-promised and under-delivered too many times now. Shonda and Co. have officially lost all credibility. Unless they actually believe that this stunt was going to work and in that case, its worst than I thought… Last season they used Bailey’s wedding as a winter finale cliffhanger and the response was underwhelming at best. What made her think that this time around it would be any better?

• trainwreck says:

agree! even season 8′s mer and alex in the ambulance crash was mildly shocking.. still the episode was a major improvement from an otherwise meh season so far.

14. Jen says:

To be fair, I think your wedding day is one of the few times where it should be about you/your soon-to-be spouse and no one else. I hope that Meredith and Cristina make up soon and Shonda doesn’t drag out this feud until the season finale. Same with Callie and Arizona. As for everything else, it figures that Alex would sort of make peace with his dad only for him to die (and Shane should totally get kicked out of the program but you know he won’t) and Derek’s phone call was interesting even though I’m not really interested in the brain-mapping thing.

• RUCookie says:

I did not think April was being unreasonable (and think the author is missing the point here). While it was funny that she had to hunt down her bridesmaids, she should not have had to do that… it was “her” day… And yes, saw that Jackson proclaimation a mile away, but still yelled at my TV

15. N says:

Loved Jackson!

16. Babygate says:

Up to the last 5 minutes I was really enjoying the episode. Loved Alex. He was the best of all tonight. Loved that Shane finally screwed up that badly and I’m hoping that he will be sent far, far away. April was really funny and a little badass. We had little of Bailey and the annoying OCD and that was great. Webber to the rescue! Loved that. Arizona, however, has gotten on my last nerve. Now she’s back at being annoyed with Callie. Let’s recap: last season finale she threw her rage at Callie and Shonda said: PTSD. Ep 10.9 we are told she cheated because she lost the baby. Now, we are told she cheater because she felt accepted by Lauren. Who’s keeping track of this? I did not think that they could do worse than S7 for Calzona and they proved me wrong. Loved that Mertina finally started to talk. And we get to the end and suddenly the President is calling Derek? And Jackson decides to declare her love for April? This is so bad I just busted out laughing. When the call came in it was just such a ridiculous thing but then Jackson stood up like it was a bad 80′s Rom-com starring the brat-pack and I just lost it! At least I won’t be wondering what’s going to happen next because I honestly don’t care anymore. I get now why Ellen reacted the way she did during the table read; she was embarrassed at the bad writing…

• abz says:

I really don’t get why Sarah Drew kept saying it was so shocking. That was one of the most predictable things Grey’s has done. Having the wedding go through successfully would have been a better ending than that. Seriously, it’s like the writers/Shonda don’t even care anymore.
      I loved Mertina’s scenes as well and Alex was amazing in this episode and his eyeroll at Jackson summed up my entire reaction to the wedding scene.
      Arizona needs to get over herself and move on. I was glad she finally accepted some blame in all of this, but to once again turn that all around and be mad at Callie for the umpteenth time is pissing me off. I really don’t think there is redemption for her character or maybe there is, but a future with Callie is something I really have no interest in seeing anymore.

• Babygate says:

The cast and crew have to promote the show, that’s their bread and butter. Especially with how the ratings have been tanking this season. And I get that Sarah was super excited because this epi was centered around April’s wedding. But that Jackson stunt was not jaw-dropping. Maybe they hoped it would be but even if it was somewhat unexpected it was not shocking because by waiting until now he proved to be self-centered and a coward, not to mention that Jackson has now sunk below Arizona’s level of low by leading Stephanie on this whole time. And Arizona makes me want to slap her. At this point, I don’t want them together either.

• Sara says:

I think that one of the “shocking” things that they were talking about was the phone call to Derek. That would explain why Ellen Pompeo apparently started yelling “what, what, what?!” during the table read. I don’t think she would have been as invested in the Jackson/April development as much as the possible development of her character’s story from the backlash of that call. Which really, come on, it was totally ridiculous any way you cut it. In the words of old school Grey’s: Seriously?!

• Babygate says:

The phone call? Really? That was such a ridiculous stunt that I literally busted out laughing. If you know anything about how the government runs, you know this would have never happened. It was such an over the top ploy that I wonder how anyone can take it seriously. My theory is that when Ellen read the script she recognized the cheap twist and was outraged at the bad writing. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. :-) But I have to say, other than the last five minutes this was one of the best episodes of the season so far.

• liztush says:

For me the season finale could have been 110% better. There was no real thought process. The show has really hit an all time low for me. If Jackson really loved her, he wouldn’t have waited until she was going to marry someone else. It was all about him. lt proved that he is self-centered and a coward, not to mention that Jackson has now sunk below Arizona’s level of low by leading Stephanie on this whole time. And Arizona makes me want to slap her. Characters that need to go: April, Arizona, and Shane. They killed off some of the best cast members in and after the plane crash.

• Ellen says:

You are clearly blinded by your hate on Arizona. The cheating was not because of the leg. Or because of the baby. Or because she felt accepted by Lauren. It’s because of the combination of all that has happened to her. You really lack empathy. She’s not annoyed with Callie, or mat at her, she’s SAD! There is a big difference. If you are able to read between the lines, Callie is telling her all the time that she is not good enough the way she is now, Callie wants to “fix” her, get her back to the way she was before. She loves Callie, and she wants Callie to love her the way she is now. I know I would be incredibly sad too, if the one I love kept doing what Callie is doing. Don’t get me wrong, I love Callie. But she is no Saint in all of this, she can be very insensitive at times. I understand that she wants things to go back to the way it was, but that’s not possible, trauma will change you. If people can’t see that Arizona is really hurting inside, then I don’t know what’s wrong with them. To me, it seems that people has decided to hate her, and there is absolutely NOTHING she can do right in their minds, no matter what. And that is immature.

• abz says:

I think we all understand Arizona’s current mentality (well at least I do!). I understand it, but that doesn’t make it okay. Arizona received a lot of empathy from me last season, and I accepted her anger and being hurt and taking it all out on Callie. She needed time to heal and accept the loss of her leg, but her behaviour and actions have reached being unacceptable. She cheated on Callie and belittled her loss and then made a comment about evening the score as if she thought Callie enjoyed being forced to make the decision to cut off her leg.
        “Callie is telling her all the time that she is not good enough the way she is now.” –> When has Callie told her all the time she wasn’t good enough? Have you considered the fact that Arizona is a crappy communicator? She never directly talks things out with Callie right away. She never asked for help with her phantom limb. She rarely talked her feelings out with Callie. Instead, she bitches about her behind her back and let’s things build up inside her and pushes herself to the breaking point and uses it to rip Callie to pieces when she can’t handle it anymore.
        “Callie wants to “fix” her, get her back to the way she was before. She wants Callie to love her the way she is now” –> Has Arizona told Callie that she is okay with how she is now? No. No all she does is act selfish and constantly tells Callie to stop playing the victim when you know what I don’t care I’ll say it, she is at this moment in Grey’s time the victim here. She did everything to help Arizona. To help her cope. To care for her while she was adjusting to her new life. She endured the verbal and emotional abuse from Arizona and still forgave her after Arizona cheated on her not once, but twice. She still stuck by her, even while losing her best friend and the father of her child, but not once to this day I can recall that Arizona has ever acknowledged the fact that Callie lost something in the plane crash too.
        Arizona always talked at first about how angry she was at losing her leg and Callie as her wife probably still sees the struggle she may have offscreen (e.g., she mentioned how high heels hurt her). I think Callie very much knows things won’t go back to normal. too much has happened and she’s trying to move on and save her marriage. Her comment about her research was something she was excited about and it was a possibility that could help her wife. If Arizona didn’t want the help she should open her damn mouth like a grown woman and talk to Callie instead of putting on that fake smile of hers every time she talks to her.
        I think some people do see that she is hurting, but so much time has passed and they are fed up with trying to emphasize with her completely because of the way she awfully treats her loved one. Just because something awful happened to you doesn’t give you the right to continuously treat your loved ones like crap.

• Cam says:

Don’t bother Ellen, “babygate” is Mallie biased and will hate on Arizona even if she cures the blind. I would offer reasonable counterpoints to her ott comments every week if only I had a flying eff to give lol. Come on, be charitable and let the fangirls repeat the same inane stuff ad nauseam… their lives depend on it! ;)

• Babygate says:

But you care enough to respond to someone other than me. You are also making an awful lot of assumptions. I was never a ‘Mallie’ shipper. I started watching Greys because of Calzona, period. I loved Mark right up to the point that he got Callie pregnant and that was it for me. I voted for Mark to die at the end of S8 because I hated the idea of him being free again to interfere and possibly ruin Calzona’s relationship again. You know, the worst kind of argument is one that cannot be defended. You are welcome to address my points, directly to me, otherwise, it is just lame.

• Babygate says:

LOL! I have never hated Arizona. I hate what she has done and continues to do and she infuriates me but hatred is a complete mis-characterization. Me thinks you are blinded by your love for Arizona. And you are making an awful lot of assumptions. I am not theorizing about what caused her to cheat, I was making reference to the information that has been put out there. Shonda said at the end of last season that there was a lot of unaddressed PTSD. During the 200th episode Arizona mentioned that the way Lauren looked at her made her feel good, so she clearly felt accepted. During the 9th episode we were introduced to the ludicrous baby plot and were led to believe THAT was the trigger for her cheating and last night she, for the first time, clearly states that she cheated because she felt wanted as she is now. But you are ignoring this inconsistency. Besides, in order for you to say that Arizona is just sad you would have to ignore her outburst at the end of S9 when she offered to cut off Callie’s leg. That was rage, pure and simple. It was evident for most of S9 that she was angry at Callie for cutting off her leg which leads us to the beginning of this season when Callie was working with Derek and we found out that she started the brain mapping project to help Arizona. Honestly, if you cannot see that Callie is still trying to redeem herself in the eyes of Arizona for the amputation, I would posit that it is you who lacks empathy. And to be clear, what Arizona has gone through is tragic and heart-wrenching and even the cheating with Lauren could be justified, in hind sight since there was no context for it at the time. But carrying on with Leah while wearing her wedding band and bad mouthing Callie and then demanding to be let back into Callie’s bed the very day that Callie found out about Leah has impaired my ability to feel the same level of enabling, rose-colored glasses-type-of-empathy you have so willingly granted.

• Marine says:

I think Arizona’s lost, that’s why there is so many reason for her cheating on Callie. Ever since the mputation, arizona is lost.
      Agreed with the Derek/President thing : useless.
      But Jackson…. God I love him with April, they are refreshing together and the last scene brought me a little tear, I know I’m a helpless romantic ;) But I’m sure Shonda is too that’s why april is gonn say Yes!

• Babygate says:

I guess I’m more of a cynic and so I laughed when Jackson got up to speak, but I see your point. It was kind of romantic in dorky kind of way.. :-)

17. Michael says:

For everyone saying the Fall finale wasn’t shocking enough, just remember, nothing can be shocking on this show. They have done everything there is to shock. They have had gun men, plane crashes, death, weddings, and every other form of chaos imaginable. We are at the level of extreme on Grey’s where the only natural disaster left to exploit is a meteorite hitting the hospital and taking out a wing of the building.

• mooshki says:

Watch out, Season 11; here comes the meteor! At the very least a satellite could fall out of orbit and maim a few people.

• esunrise says:

More disasters for Grey’s Anatomy:
      - They haven’t done enough with fire. Let’s send a few people out to a forest fire and see who makes it alive. A tree could fall on Arizona, ruin the other leg, and Callie can let her die instead of cutting it off.
      - A helicopter could have issues on the roof, a blade ruining Arizona’s other leg, and Callie can let her die instead of cutting it off. And the helicopter crash could start a fire, burning down half he hospital. Which require more fundraisers.
      - They could go on a boat as a fundraiser for the hospital, and it could be taken over by pirates. Or they might have to flee on the boat from the pirates, and crash into an island.
      - They could just be on a boat for a fundraiser and it somehow crashes into an island (with mass casualties and limited supplies, and a large freak storm delaying help).
      - There could be some sort of plague and everyone could be infected and on the brink, but it only takes one or two people out, like Arizona or Shane or Leah.
      - Shane could crack up to the point where he kidnaps a few people (like Arizona and Leah) and takes them to his basement to practice his surgical skills.
      - Leah could crack up to the point where she kidnaps a few people (like Arizona and Callie) and takes them to her basement to practice her surgical skills (though Shane is more likely).
      - Mama O’Malley might crack up and decide to take out the staff with poison. She’s can spend an entire day at the hospital either trying to get people to come over for dinner, or to take some cookies home. End of the episode it’s unclear who got the deathly laced food.
      - Someone could kidnap Sofia and Zola and Baby Bailey and hold them hostage unless one (or several) of the doctors let somebody die in surgery.

My vote is on pirates.

18. Ashly says:

Fantastic episode! Jackson, thank goodness you finally did the right thing! Loved how he stood up, sat back down and got back up again. The Mer/Cristina stuff is on the mend. Hopefully they will go back to normal for the last half of the season. Alex killed the scenes with his dad. Justin Chambers, kudos. Still not sold on him and Jo yet. Although Camilla Luddington seems like a sweet person:) Her twitter account makes me smile. The Derek drama with the president seems a little hokey, but everything else was awesome!

19. Cory says:

Am I the only one that hope April tells Jackson to shove it and marries Matthew? Or that Stephanie will take off her heels and beat him with the pointy end? He has had all this time to say how he feels and he waits until now? (yes I know dramatic tension for a cliff hanger) but COME ON! Stephanie didn’t deserve such a crushing blow, April doesn’t deserve to have her heart yo-yoed like that and frankly Jackson doesn’t deserve either of them (especially after that!)

• the girl says:

I really hope April rejects him AND Stephanie dumps him – even if April and Jackson end up together later on. You don’t do that in the middle of the wedding when you had every single day for months to say those words at work, and this is after April already told him to give her a reason not to get married and he said no. So yeah, Jackson needs to get his feelings hurt.

• Babygate says:

Agreed! Even if I was madly in love with Jackson I would have to think long and hard about his approach to the situation. April gave him the opportunity and he just waited until now? That was just bad form and makes me question his character. Then again, we’ve always known that he is a man child with a lot of growing up to do.

• Marine says:

You hope Stephanie will dump Avery, but she definetely will what kind of woman would stay with a man like that!!!! He stopped a wedding while with her AND in front of all of her coworkers! Talking about shame!

• Kris Oakes says:

I agree that Jackson had MONTHS to figure out how he felt about April, but let’s remember the surgery he did that day, where the man ended up having a stroke and not being able to have any communication with his wife. During that whole thing is when he remembered Mark’s words about telling someone you love them. And April really wanted him at the wedding. If she wouldn’t have said that, he probably wouldn’t have gone. But anyway, I liked it. It is after all a drama, what used to be known as a night-time soap. Of course these things happen. We expect them after all. At least they are dealing somewhat with a tried and true formula, unlike Scandal which as much as I wanted to like because of Scott Foley, I just cannot find an afinity with it.

• pamela says:

Jackson is officially the douce of 2013 on TV, poor Stephanie and Matthew and how rude to do that at the wedding, they were both given plenty of chances beforehand and they chose the person they were with. Other than that excellent episode! I will not enjoy the wait :(

• Laura says:

Not just you! I can’t believe how many people are saying how “romantic” and “sweet” that was. Yeah, ruining someone’s wedding and making an idiot out of your girlfriend is really romantic. He had a million chances to tell April how he felt and didn’t — sorry buddy, you lost out, move on.

• Spartan says:

No you’re not and Jackson is stupid! How could he have done that to such a nice girl like Stephanie. He is a wack-job for being the head of a hospital.

20. I know April is annoying, but are you really going after her for wanting her wedding day to be about her instead of about everybody else’s b.s.? She lasted a lot longer than most people would without yelling at them.

21. sarah says:

Loved the episode!!! amazing scene between meredith n cristina!!! im sure im in the minority but i hope april decides to marry matthew!!!

• lauren says:

right there with you. i don’t like jackson and april together. i actually liked him with little grey but we all knew how that was going to turn out.

• arrianna says:

I hate what jackson did….i hated April and him together….i hope April tells him off and marries Matthew….jacksons girlfriend needs to slap him across the face for what he did….the while Jackson and April scene is annoying….i want Christina and Owen back together bur Christina agree to a baby and…arizona is so getting on my nerves with her whining and pitty…cali loves you Meredith and Christina need to work things out…honestly if they keep April and Jackson together and met and Christina fighting I’m gonna stop watching…and I love this show…but the story line definitely needs to change.

22. Para says:

I think Jackson is so out of nowhere saying those things. THe whole season is building on April and Jackson finally find their way back to being friends and now this? soooooo only for the shock value

23. Riri says:

i really enjoyed this episode!
    1. I want Meredith and Christina to keep fighting. The acting is just out of this world, I loved the cat fight scene (“…and you became what we all laughed at…”). Eventually make up yes, but not yet.

2. I want April to tell Jackson to shove it and marry her fiance. I want Jacksons gf to hit him with the pointy heel as Cory stated.

3. I wouldn’t buy a mixup of conduit/valve whatever.

4. Alex was sooooooo gooooood!

5. Shane pisses me off.

24. spartan says:

Only thing that would’ve been more of a Grey Cliche is for April’s hapless finance to have been killed while doing “one last rescue.” However, I felt the episode & half-season were redeemed with the use of “Total Eclipse of the Heart” in the soundtrack.

• Amanda says:

I was so convinced Matthew’s ambulance had crashed after the man with the paralyzed kid said he called one but then couldn’t wait and that the ambulance had crashed out in the middle of no where and no one knew. And then when April bumped into him in the hospital I thought he was a ghost (especially after he disappeared the way he did – it’s not as if they haven’t gone there before). I was very glad to see him standing up at the altar.

• Tony says:

Who sang it? I know it wasn’t Bonnie Tyler. So fitting

25. Chloe says:

cant believe there was no cristina-owen meaningful scene. worst mid-season finale ever, totally predictable. i love greys, i realli do, but its getting old already

26. Trenton says:

So Derek goes off to help with the initiative…and secretly gets recruited by b613 and becomes Mcassasin…able to kill with his super sergeon skills or his hair…

27. Katelin says:

Why is everyone complaining? Of course it was all predictable but it was the best episode of the season. The April/Jackson thing shouldn’t be such a fuss. The residents are freaking nuts(Leah/Shane) gave me a good laugh. If were all complaining it should be about how annoying the Meredith character has come to be. I hope they fix her.

28. Pam says:

I liked the episode. Was it Greys finale material? Maybe not, but I really didn’t expect it to be so I wasn’t disappointed. They can’t have a disaster every season. While I like those episodes, it was getting a tad ridiculous. Besides, if something like that were to happen it would be episode 24, not 12. This is just mid-season. This was a good dramatic episode which is basically what Greys used to be about before all the crazy ratings stunts. This season so far has been lackluster but the mid season finale was great IMO.

29. Arielle says:

anyone have any idea on why at the end the President is calling Derek?

30. amh says:

I would like to see April and Jackson together sorry matthew..

31. abz says:

Alex, Meredith, and Cristina (the originals) were the best parts of this episode. Finally some great scenes with Alex. Loved that scene where he told his dad off. So powerful. The confrontation between Mer and Cristina finally happened and I thought it was amazing to see them finally deal with it. You could understand both sides of it at the beginning but lately I think it’s been Mer who has taken the nastiness and cattiness up a notch. It saddened me with the whole “we’re growing apart” thing, but I understand it and hope it gets resolved before her Sandra’s exit. April’s outburst was hilarious.
    Jackson is a douche for what he did (so lame and predictable) and I have a feeling Derek will return to his douchy self once again when this obvious President storyline will eventually lead to Mer side-lining her career and research for his.
    Shane was so annoying. He’s such a monster and I can’t wait for him to be gone.

32. animegirl31 says:

I’m hoping April and Jackson just get it together already, even Mathew is aware they love each other. I think he might leave too, since he left April in that scene where they run into each other at the hospital.

33. Guest says:

No one seems to like Shane, so I don’t know if there’s a path of redemption for him that people would tolerate. If this were to cause him getting fired and the character off the show, it would be like how ER knew Malucci was unlikable and not adding anything to the show so they ditched him.

Also, was that April’s family barn? Because how the hell did everyone drive there with the sun still up when Owen had to fly there last season?

34. Jake says:

Shocking ending especially given he seemed to be really over April and really to do it at a wedding. I almost think April will still go through with it.

35. FDB says:

As if this show wasn’t cliché enough, and then they go and do this… LOL!

36. Rkg228 says:

All I have to say is that I figured Jackson would do this weeks ago. It’s in his TV genes. His TV momma is responsible for Whitley marrying Dwayne instead of Olivia Pope’s dad.

Alex has always been my favorite character. His eye roll was golden. I’m most interested to see how the dad thing unfolds. I really want to see his mom and sister. But if Jimmy dies it would be so Alex to just not tell his family because he feels it isn’t necessary.

Am I wrong in saying I’m not a fan of any of the interns. I just don’t like them I’ve tried. I don’t even like Jo or Stephanie. This Shane thing had to come to a head sooner or later. He should be fired… And he needs to stay fired. I am sick of this show firing and rehiring people. Meredith, Cristina, and April have all been fired. April got fired 2x! Are they special because they’re doctors. When else does that happen?

37. Brad says:

I just don’t have words. This show has never disappointed me, especially with finales. I had just about given up hope on Jackson and April, whom I love more than I realized. ND I realized that tonight when I gasped so loud I choked. She cannot say no….Lordy. I’m so happy I watched this after Scandal, because that, to me, was such a boring episode. Grey’s made my night.

• Babygate says:

Even though the last 5 minutes of Grey’s made me laugh more than anything else, I agree that this episode was better than the Scandal finale. Scandal depends a lot of big, flashy elements and a lot of the energy comes from the Olivia/Fitz interactions and dynamic. I found the finale to be good, but not better than Grey’s which does more without all the fireworks, special effects and disturbing ploys that Scandal depends on.

38. Euvee says:

Poor Stephanie did not deserve that. I can’t believe I dislike Jackson this deep right now. Horrid cliff hanger, that’s if I should even call that corny piece of crap that. Last 5 minutes messed up an otherwise OK episode.

39. Rook says:

I would like to see Alex’s dad die, Shane get fired, and April reject Jackson. But Alex’s dad won’t die, and Shane will get suspended. Not sure what will happen with April and Jackson, I could see it playing out both ways.

40. DavidSask says:

Was anyone shocked with the ending, hell no! However president call not sure unless he needs an operation done, wonder who they will get to play president if cross-over from Scandal?!

41. Shannon says:

I loved this episode!! Justin Chambers, oh my god. He was outstanding!!! I am so happy he finally had a confrontation and made peace not only with his dad, which he sort of did, but with himself and a lifetime of unresolved anger with no source to direct it to. It was so desperately needed, and even though his dad might die I am so happy he had a chance to tell him exactly how he feels. And can I just say how much I LOVE him with Jo, she is absolutely perfect for him. I died in that scene outside the barn I haven’t seen that emotional side of him in that way for a long long time, and she knew exactly how to respond to him. I’ve loved them since the last Grey’s wedding, she brings something new to the show! God I hope they last forever, definitely my favorite couple now.

Don’t know how I feel about Jackson. I liked that he finally said how he felt but it was so not on for him to do it right before she says ‘I do’ to another man, he has had ENDLESS chances!!! HOWEVER his face right at the end nearly broke my heart he was so terrified of her response! I’m not a die hard fan of them, but I do like them together and Matthew is boring as hell!

The president?? can’t say I was expecting that, wow. And Shane, HATE HIM. Don’t care if he has issues over being the cause of Heather’s death. Can’t stand him and I never have! Hope he gets fired. Love Richard, when he’s speaking to Shane it reminds me of why he was such a great chief, reminds me of when he talked that crazy gunman out of killing him!

42. diehard fan no more says:

I actually liked it. there’s only been 3 so far this season that I can say that with, this coming from someone that has purchased every season and watches the re-runs on Lifetime. It finally had a glimmer of hope to have some balance back to the show instead of the non stop fighting, depressing storylines of every single character that this season has had. Mer/Cristina – finally a little hope for them to continue the discussion, Calzona-same thing-hope for them to talk when Arizona FINALLY has a realization. Derek and the phone call, no surprise there, that was out months ago. Jackson-expected that as well, but it was all good for me. I think the only real shocking thing that Shane’s patient being Jimmy. Still could care less about any of the residents, so I could care less whether he goes off the deep end or not. Did love Mer calling Cristina out on that one though. The one thing I miss is the Mer/Der interaction at the beginning and end of each episode. I hope this challenge for them they at least handle with communication on screen and they at least, stay a healthy couple, unlike the rest of storylines.

43. jessieboy says:

Very disappointed in Jackson!. Shondra how could you allow him to be so disrespectful to Stephanie like that? Unbelievable!

• Guest says:

I don’t know how disrespectful it was when Stephanie couldn’t even say she loved Jackson. It’s possible they both knew the relationship wasn’t going anywhere.

• Euvee says:

So Stephanie’s inability to say ‘I love you’ to Jackson justifies getting dumped so publicly? For another woman who was at the altar I might add?! Jackson had the chance to stop the wedding waaaaaay before April stood before Matthew but he chose not to by choosing to be with Stephanie, even when April asked him to give her a reason to walk away from Matthew. How Jackson made a 180 from someone going strong with Stephanie, (remember how upset he got over her kiss with Shane and how he introduced her to his mum amongst other things) to a douche who disrespects Matthew and Stephanie so publicly is beyond me. Poor Matthew was even working extra shifts to make more money + he was still paying for his tux. *sigh*

44. MLO says:

Of all the things that stand out in this show, it’s Meredith’s boobs hovering around her waist in her bridesmaid’s dress that bothered me the most – lol. Would someone please get that woman a bra?

45. Daley says:

Terrible show, it has sooo run it’s course. Time to say ‘bye-bye’

46. guest says:

I personally LOVED this episode. I feel like it contained all the elements that greys had been lacking this season. Even the music was on point at the end, that cover of “total eclipse of the heart” was stunning. Also, I really don’t think the hatred for April in your reviews are justified. She has grown a lot and I think it’s normal for the bride to want HER wedding day being about her.

47. Allison says:

So many ‘feelz’ right now!!! First of all, this winter finale was the best episode for the season. Sarah Drew’s performance reminded me why April is so adorkable :) I know there was so much hate for April from the beginning and the hate continued to spread, but last night’s episode made me like her for the first time ever! From hunting up her bridesmaids to her humorous run-ins with Jackson and Matthew, pulling Cristina away from the flashing lights and dragging Meredith away from her research all while parading around with those big honkin’ curlers in her hair with no shame whatsoever, made me heart April :) I love the friendship between April and Arizona – too cute. April showed so much patience throughout the entire Meredith and Cristina exchange (until she didn’t). Her bridal walk to Matthew and the love/light in her eyes for him, *sniffle,* *tear* Then I see paramedic Nicole as Matthew’s ‘best man’ – how adorable! *happy sigh* Oh how could I forget the butterfly in the box being released and the foreshadowing when Stephanie teased Jackson saying “you ruined Kepner’s weeding.” Ha! and how!
    I am bracing myself for what appears to be the inevitable return of McDouche. I remember when Derek started off lovable and adorable, but then this creature emerged that was mean, very mean to Meredith *cough, Alzheimer’s trial, cough, Zola adoption, cough* Now he has been presented with a request from the leader of the free world? Yep, it is the return of the Mack- Douche that is. Then again maybe not. Bah, just thinking about it is making me grumpy, so moving on.
    Can I just say that the character of Alex Karev has grown so much and while traces of jerk still remain, he is remarkable. To have overcome such a traumatic childhood to become this awesome pediatric surgeon is impressive. He also managed to form a real friendship with a woman (Arizona) that he hasn’t banged, well granted she’s a lesbian, but still it is impressive. I hope his Dad doesn’t die, but since this was an April centric episode – happy trails Jimmy. Go in peace. Seriously, I’ve noticed death seems to follow April so yeah, go with God Jimmy. Though it would suck to have Webber go back into surgery only to have the patient die…golly gee whiz… I hope they don’t do that to Webber :(
    Overall, I enjoyed the episode, until Jackson had to open his big mouth. Yeah, I get that it was his last chance to say something and he was probably in denial about his feelings and then seeing April in the wedding dress standing at the altar with some other dude may have popped the lid on those feelings he thought he had canned, but still. At the wedding? With his girlfriend sitting right there? He had so many chances and then to wait until that moment? *screams* Now we have to wait until February 27 to see the fallout?! *screams*

• shara says:

lol, i’m loving this post…Especially the part with the “Return of McDouche” You are soooo correct

• Huh? says:

Color me confused. Meredith did destroy Derek’s Alzheimer’s trial. She set his career back, his reputation and destroyed Richard’s. And she almost made them lose Zola. So, excuse the man for being a tad upset at her for it. She did something completely thoughtless and reckless and didn’t give her husband one thought in the process. Yeah, big, bad Derek should just lay down and swallow it.

• Babygate says:

Thank you for mentioning paramedic Nicole! She looked hot! That was such a nice surprise. Agree with the April-love. And I wouldn’t worry about Webber. By the time he got to the OR I think Jimmy was pretty much a goner.

48. Joey says:

I think April is deeply in love with Jackson, and she exclaimed such feelings with him on several occasions without uttering the words. However, lets not forget that Jackson actually asked April to marry him when she was going through the whole baby drama. Jackson may have had wrong timing, but any man that speaks his heart should not be faulted for his decision of timing. It is time for April to make a clear decision as Jackson put her dead on the spot with his true feelings. Your turn now April, fish or cut bait with paramedic boy.

I am holding on to April and Jackson as they made season 9 watchable! They have a chemistry like no other on the show, not even close.

Please move Calizona to Guam! I had enough of their over dramatic crap. Every scene with them in it is like stabbing my eyeballs with toothpicks!

49. ggny says:

If Patrick and Ellen leave or scale back their episode next year i think they should make the show about Alex. The guy kills it every night and just keep getting better and better. Now that he has some closure with his dad hopefully he can finally have a relationship that lasts and him and Jo stick together

50. DDD says:

I really hope April and Jackson make it. I was mad when they let her drop him. The Alex scene’s with his father were very well done. Also love Alex and Jo and we now have the reason he is through his fathers actions. Christina and Mere at odds is strange for me. The botched surgery was well done in the destruction of a doctor in the making. Oh and I never liked Jackson’s latest girlfriend.