Golden Globe Nods 2014: The 30 Biggest Snubs!

Get More: Awards, Golden Globes, Lists

By virtue of their insistence on lumping together supporting performances from comedies, dramas, miniseries and movies, the Golden Globes nominations are always an inherently snubby affair.

So, while the 2014 lineup has its fair share of happy surprises — Tatiana Maslany! Monica Potter! — there are still enough glaring insults to leave us scalding with rage. (“Umm, hello? Hollywood Foreign Press? Were you taking bathroom breaks every time Anna Gunn was on screen in Breaking Bad?”)

RELATED | Golden Globes: House of Cards, The Good Wife, Candelabra and Breaking Bad Lead Noms; See the Full List of TV Categories!

In that spirit, we’ve identified the 30 most boneheaded snubs of the 2014 nominations — from a Game of Thrones heartbreaker to Masters of Sex‘s breakout lady to Brooklyn Nine-Nine‘s stoic anchor.

Click through the gallery below to help soothe your soul over these sins of omission, then hit the comments to tell us which snubs we snubbed as well. (Apologies in advance!)

Comments (122)

• Jane Fonda for The Newsroom? I feel like she deserved it.

Comment by May – December 12, 2013 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This list is just an excuse to whine. If there are 30 snubs, then which nominees should be omitted? It’s only a snub if a deserving show/performer was overlooked in favor of an UNDESERVING show/performer. Many of the so-called snubs listed here can’t hold a candle to the actual nominees. How could the entire cast of Homeland be snubbed if the show sucks? Get a grip.

Comment by Mark – December 12, 2013 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just by word of mouth, have never actually seen it, surprised Lizzy Caplan wasn’t nominated.

Comment by Damien Roberts (@dam744) – December 12, 2013 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I liked how the HFPA spread the wealth a bit amongst nominees (hooray Parks & Rec!, hooray Amy Phoeler!, hooray Tatiana!, hooray House of Cards!), there is simply NO excuse for the exclusion of Anna Gunn. She was phenomenally fantastic throughout all of 5B, but simply her performance in the episode ‘Ozymandias’ should have been enough for her to win every award under the sun. If ever there was a snub, this is it!

Comment by Ron – December 12, 2013 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel like the Globes need to do some reorganizing. The grouping of supporting actors with TV movies needs to go.

I feel like Laura Linney was subbed for The Big C. Those last 4 episodes were absolutely amazing. Considering she won the Emmy…I figured she’d be a shoe-in to be nominated.

Why isn’t anyone else outraged by the lack of Orange is the New Black nominations? Did everyone forget binge watching it in 2 days and buzzing about it with friends for weeks afterward on Facebook? I thought it would pick up tons of nominations.

Comment by Chris – December 12, 2013 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The lack of OITNB other than for Taylor Schilling really bummed me out! That is the show that sticks with me and that I’ll rewatch while the currents hows are on hiatus. I was shocked that I didn’t see a ton of nominations for it. The entire supporting cast is outstanding and the acting and writing give depth to characters that could so easily be portrayed as one-dimensional.

Comment by yearonear – December 13, 2013 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agree with most of these but not Homeland. I think they were correct in not nominating them. It’s been a very mediocre season with more of the same. Even from the actors. I’ll admit that there were some stand out moments (Brody detoxing) but they weren’t consistent.

Comment by Anna – December 12, 2013 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • On what planet did New Girl deserve a Best Comedy nod? It doesn’t count as a snub if they didn’t deserve the nomination. “The Box” was arguably the worst episode of the series. It actually made a lot of people not like Nick. Kind of problem when he’s your lead male character and part of the show’s core couple. If Jess had broken up with him then, I’d have completely understood. I don’t think that’s what they were going for. It was one of my favorite shows. What the heck is happening?

Comment by S. – December 12, 2013 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Noble. Just nominate him for existing. :(

Comment by Ashok – December 12, 2013 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Guillermo Diaz and Bellmay Young on Scandal, the work they do is amazing, they should be recognized

Comment by Erica – December 12, 2013 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Christine Baranski! She’s been phenomenal this season in The Good Wife.

Comment by CW – December 12, 2013 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the Golden Globes did a wonderful job this year. Most of the shows you’ve listed really shouldn’t be getting awards this time, like Mad Men, they’re veered way off course from the early years, and The Walking Dead, what category? Best Zombie show? It’s not all that great. I don’t think these were snubs, though Veep and Game of Thrones are amazing, most on your list just aren’t really, imho, globe-worthy. At least in their current incarnations.

Comment by bobbie – December 12, 2013 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait, I’m confused. Were they voting on season 3 of Boardwalk Empire or season 4 which just finished airing? Was Bobby Cannavale seriously eligible? I thought the eligibility period was for the year 2013?
    I’m still burning mad about Lizzy Caplan’s snub. Thank goodness they got Masters of Sex and Michael Sheen in there though. And Arrested Development and Will Arnett, I knew those snubs were happening, but it still hurt. Ditto on Timothy Olyphant, Justified, and Jim Beaver.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – December 12, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mandy TOTALLY should’ve been nominated! (And I can say that without ever having seen Homeland. I adore him.)

And Jen Carpenter. She’s deserved a Globe, SAG or Emmy for YEARS and never got it.

Also, I’m apparently the only person on Earth who thinks if HBC got nominated for “Burton and Taylor”, Dominic West should have been, too. (BAFTAs, help me out, here?)

Comment by Daya – December 12, 2013 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vera Farmiga should have a nom. I’m happy for Tatiana, and for Oitnb. As for Homeland, yes, Claire Danes was amazing in episode 2, and she is great as usual, but this season is all over the place, so i’m not surprised that Homeland is not here this time.

Comment by thi86 – December 12, 2013 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with most of your suggestions….but Jon Hamm is over rated. One mad men is done, we’ll never see him again..until some broadcast network tries to pawn off a Mad Men rip off, so he can go back to his emotionally remote one trick pony.

Comment by JB – December 12, 2013 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For 11 seasons, NCIS has been one of the most watched shows on TV and currently stands at #1…yet, never a nomination for pretty much anything.

Comment by Chris Allen – December 13, 2013 01:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michlle Fairley not being nominated for GOT is a travesty. The Americans is an underrated show and should get some love, especially Keri and Matthew. Mads is excellent on Hannibal. I’d love to see The Middle finally get some love, and Cougar Town as well.

Comment by Mikael – December 13, 2013 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’m fully convinced Wendi McLendon-Covey from The Goldbergs was snubbed. Remove Zooey and replace her with Wendi!

Comment by flutiefan – December 13, 2013 10:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • maybe this season wasn’t in the time frame? in any case, she should be nominated for something. give the woman a People’s Choice Award, if you must. she needs SOMETHING for her brilliant portrayal!

Comment by flutiefan – December 13, 2013 10:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Katey is always snubbed. :( Shouldn’t be a surprise anymore, but it’s still always very disappointing.

Comment by V – December 14, 2013 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally agree that Ty Burrell should have got a nod; he the funniest on Modern Family and has been for a while.
    I’m mad about no nomination for Lizzy Caplan or Allison Janney for The Masters of Sex. I’d also like to have seen The Newsroom and/or Jeff Daniels get some love since season 2 was also so great. The Americans would also have been welcome addition.
    In terms of recognition for actors on long terms shows (rather than the hot new things) I think Sandra Oh should be recognised for Greys Anatomy and Jennifer Carpenter for Dexter.
    In the comedy category I would have liked to see The Mindy Project instead of New Girl and a nod for Andre Braugher; without him Andy Sandberg’s character wouldn’t be half as funny – it’s the straight man vs the clown and they’re chemistry is awesome.
    Lastly, I agreed that Jeff Perry was snubbed but I’d also suggest Bellamy Young too.

Comment by Ally_D – December 14, 2013 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rectify and Sons of Anarchy. Aden Young. Adelaide Clements, Charlie Hunnam, Maggie Siff, Katie Sagal.

Comment by Fiona – January 3, 2014 01:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely Rectify for best drama series. Aden Young for best actor. Also Sons of Anarchy should have been nominated. Charlie Hunnam, Maggie Siff and Katey Sagal deserve nominations.

Comment by Ryan – January 3, 2014 01:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SHAMELESS!!!!! for god-sake someone nominate Shameless!

Comment by chris – January 11, 2014 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love, Love, Love Kevin Spacey BUT House of Cards is NOT and will not be a TV Series until I can aim my remote at the TV and key in Netflix w/o Chromecast, Wii, PSP, XBox or Roku.

Comment by CStoyle (@CStoyle) – January 12, 2014 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did anyone mention Arrow?? Stephen Amell…. the writers? Has to be one of the best dramas on TV right now!

Comment by Rizzo – January 12, 2014 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • few things:
    1. Sons Of Anarchy should have been nominated and not masters of sex of whatever show that was there.
    2. Charlie Hunnam should have been nominated as best lead actor in drama – and win.
    3. Homeland should have been canceled. this last season was pretty boring.
    4. Jennifer Carpenter should have been at least nominated for Dexter. after 7 season, she started acting her ass off in the final one.
    5. Gravity and Sandra Bullock should have won, this film is outstanding.

Comment by Boris Z (@BRSZ) – January 12, 2014 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why did you leave the two best programs out of the list?
    The Mentalist and Person of Interest! Also. Haven, but I guess the general population needs a few points higher IQ to enjoy this King show.

Comment by Bob Roberts – January 13, 2014 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so glad that The Good Wife, Julianna Margulies and Josh Charles got nominated. They all totally deserved it, this season has been absolutely incredible. And I definitely agree, Michelle Fairley was snubbed. She is incredible on Game of Thrones.

Comment by Cailey – January 22, 2014 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post